• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Gowsh

Old Fart
Being the Hero of Kvatch is becoming hard work. :sadface:

I've assumed that it's in my job description to trot about the countryside, doing good, righting wrongs, consorting with the odd Daedric Prince or two and closing all the Oblivion Gates I encounter. Well, that's this char, anyway.

I find my Nord warrior with a ridiculous amount of money (150K sep) after having bought and furnished houses in all the cities (I think). He's fully caparisoned with enchanted Daedric armor, nice weapons and several artifacts.

I'm also exceptionally bored with the inside of Oblivion Gates, although the timed version in the great gate at Bruma last night was more entertaining. I got lost and ended up closing it with like, 2 seconds to spare after dashing through (instead of fighting) the horde of hellspawn.

I'm wondering if I'll be having any more need for money, or it I can (try to) stop his (my) compulsive acquiring and hoarding of stuff that's valuable, shiny or, in general, really neat? :confused: Also, is there a good reason to close Oblivion Gates that aren't directly quest-related?

Any other tips would be gladly received. Note that I intend to do the Thieve's and DB quests with my next char.

On another subject, I was standing around by the pirate ship docked on the waterfront in the Imperial City, minding my own business, when a brawl broke out. The pirates attacked an apparently innocent citizen who ventured too close and then eventually decided to attack me as well. I was forced to defend myself and regrettably had to kill all the pirates (including that lovely Dunmer woman :sadface:) and loot the ship. Honest! I was just standing there! Anyone who says I pushed anyone into anyone else is just dead wrong. And besides, they were pissing me off with that "Come closer and you die!" crap. :rolleyes:

Have I missed much for this playthrough?

Thanks much.

Rathalos_lord_of_the_sky

-Bnahabra King-
There are a total number of 64 Oblivion gates to close(Might be off by a few)
The money problem happens to everyone. :sadface:
Is this on the PC? If so try adding some mods to make the game "better"
If not well. Umm I hear the beggers need some money.
Yes those over protective pirates always get on my nerves. I just wanted to see their fancy ship but noooo.

Gowsh

Old Fart
I'm on Xbox, so no mods. :sadface:

Do all the gates need closing, or can I slack off some?

Thanks for the tips.

Rathalos_lord_of_the_sky

-Bnahabra King-
Well the game isn't "Complete" until you close all oblivion gates so do them at whatever pace suits you.
Also have you completed the guilds? they have very interesting story lines especially the Fighter and Mage's guilds.
I find it fun to ignore the main quest and justhave fun doing whatever. I usually buy a house and rob the Imperial city or something like that. Try playing as a diffrent character or class and see how it works out. Argonians are great treasure hunters, and wood elves are great archers. Not trying to bore you with useless info that you probally already know.
There are mods for oblivion on the Xbox.
Not many but there are a few, my freind had a couple for his. I'll try to find the links for you.
Oblivion is a great game and I have spent over 2000 hours in it and i still play it to this day.
Happy Hunting

Gowsh

Old Fart
Well, completion is important, I guess, so I'll start work on the remaining gates.

I've finished the Mages quests and nearing the end of the Fighters. I was unhappy about being demoted for no reason other than finding a body, but I guess I'll keep plugging on. :)

I'm also near the end of the main quest. I'm looking forward to the payoff on that one.

Then, i've still got "Knights of the Nine" and "Shivering Isles" to do, although I've seen no indication of either so far. Maybe I need to patch?

Thanks again.

Rathalos_lord_of_the_sky

-Bnahabra King-
Hmm. How long have you had them?
Try spending the night in the Merchants Inn that usually notifies you of Shivering Isles as for KoN go to Anvil.
Both of the DLCs are AMAZING.

Gowsh

Old Fart
Hmm. How long have you had them?
Try spending the night in the Merchants Inn that usually notifies you of Shivering Isles as for KoN go to Anvil.
Both of the DLCs are AMAZING.
I've got the GOTY edition for Xbox 360. They're both supposed to be included.

I've been without wifi since before I got the game, so I bet I just need to patch.

Thanks.

Neriad13

Premium Member
Are the DLCs activated? I know that in the PC version, you have to do that before you can start them. If the same's true for the Xbox, I have no idea. But once that's set - SHIVERING ISLES! DO IT! It's a glittering jewel of a DLC, a wonder to behold! :eek: I guarantee you, it'll give your character a new lease on life. :D

As for Oblivion Gates, a good motive for me was always the acquisition of sigil stones. They're the only way (to my knowledge) that a non-Mages' Guild character can enchant gear. To steal power from Mehrunes Dagon himself and then use it against him is always satisfying. But otherwise, the only reasons I'd go after a gate was when I felt that those who lived within its vicinity were in immediate danger or if it seemed as though it were placed there as a deliberate insult to me (really, Dagon? My front lawn? You're going to spew your hellspawn within view of my porch?). But if it's getting boring, you should definitely stop closing gates for a bit and find your calling somewhere else for the moment. It's okay. There's far too many for one man to handle - and the whole of Cyrodiil is not without its own fangs.

Gowsh

Old Fart
Yeah, my attitude became similar.

For example, on a walking trip to Layaround (sorry, I can never remember the darned names correctly; see the footnote), as I approached the city I saw a gate on the little island to the NE of the N gate. It even had it's own little Daedricly decorated bridge.

Wiping the image of a miniature golf hole out of my mind, I decided that, after going to a lot of trouble getting rid of one Oblivion gate nearby, that this was something up with which I would not put! ;) So I enthusiastically mowed it down.

This char is now exploring the more remote parts of Cyrodill while waiting for his Imperial Dragon armor to be prepared. I hope it beats the Daedric stuff he's currently in. He'll also probably do Knights of the Nine. Next char will be stealth and do TG and DB quest lines, probably also Shivering Isles.

Footnote on city names.
I can never recall or pronounce the real names of stuff in TES ("druff," indeed). Therefore, my mind creates substitute names such as:
  • Drivel
  • Layaround
  • Skidmark
  • Bruno
  • Chernobyl
... and some even less savory.

Over-sharing?

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts