What was the hardest boss you defeated?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

BlueBull

DovahBull
For mean, I'd have to say the ebony warrior was the hardest for me. I have yet to defeat Miraak so I don't know how hard he is. I didn't even start the dragonborn quest line yet. Harkon was actually fairly easy for me.
I actually defeated him when I was in beast form.

So far I'd have to say Alduin. I play on Adept and have since I first started playing Skyrim so maybes that's why he was so hard. I'm speaking of the first battle by the way, where you and Paarthurnax fight him on the Throat of the World. I even brought a follower with me, Faendal, and summoned Atronachs. He was the only boss thus far I've had to actually run away from (reload), train my character up some more, get some better armor, a better weapon, better spells, and then go back and defeat. All the others I've been able to defeat in one sitting - but not him. Granted I haven't yet faced the Ebony Warrior or even the Old Orc though.

Oh forgot to mention Krosis. I stumbled on him by mistake while on another quest and he kicked my ass. That was another one I had to train up and go back and defeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wippii

Bookworm
I can't say Alduin, because I haven't managed to defeat him. "Alduin's Bane" is one tough quest with my dragon mods (and, assuming I get that far, is going to be even more nightmarish this time).

As for bosses I have defeated... probably Zahkriisos, if I lack the proper resistances. That guy is just insane with his spells!
I did fight and defeat an even tougher boss once, but he was in Wyrmstooth and therefore not vanilla.

Oh, and I have never faced the Ebony Warrior either.

PS. Harkon and Miraak are pushovers. One time I even upped the difficulty from Adept when facing Miraak, and still easily won the battle. High magic resistance and/or absorption combined with high melee damage is a powerful combo.

Last edited:

ColleenG

When in doubt, follow the fox.
Malkoran--the guy you defeat to get Dawnbreaker. This guy takes you OUT with one blast of ice storm.

All the others mentioned, I can take down in about 2-3 shots. Gotta do it 3x for Miraak, since he sacrifices his faithful dragons for his own selfish purposes, but it's still easy.

I forgot about Malkoran! He was a pain in the behind to defeat. Took me by surprise when one hit of his Ice Storm took me out as soon as I opened the door. He definitely took some strategizing.

I ended up summoning a Flame Atronach, then I buffed my follower Faendal with various Illusion spells like Rally and Courage which gave him extra health, then while the Atronach and Faendal took the brunt of the attacks, and whittled down their (Malkorans' and his Shades') health, I used Become Ethereal to get close and then used Dragonbane (lightning enchantment came in handy) with a drain magicka potion, and some lightning and fire spells to finally defeat him. Even then it took more than one type of poison on Dragonbane and a lot of potions and foodstuffs to kill him. Funny though. I'd forgotten just how tough he was until now.
Receiving Dawnbreaker was totally worth it though. That thing really comes in handy in Nordic tombs full of various Draugr.

Last edited:

TheNatural

Karstaag at level 41 was really tough for me on master. REALLY tough. You have to fight him in a single room with little to no cover, and he has an Area of Effect cast that spins a cold wind around the room, doing damage and completely draining stamina. He also seemed to have a ton of health.

I also forgot about the Word wall out in the open with Krosis. I snuck up from a distance, got a sneak shot off on the ancient dragon, then proceeded to run to what I thought was a safe area with good cover, and all of a sudden I hear the unmistakable *crack* that accompanies an opening of a tomb, and Krosis, and his fireball shooting staff of death rise to promptly make me poop myself. I died the first time, not gonna lie. The second time I had to use up some of my strongest poisons, and just focused Krosis Down while my Follower distracted the dragon. It was a fun fight.

I was able to defeat the dragon fairly easily, though of course I had to keep strafe dodging around Krosis' Fireballs. When I came back ready to defeat Krosis I had to re-defeat the dragon which I mostly let my follower do then I went after Krosis. Become Ethereal really came in handy here, I had to use it more than once just to get close enough to hit him with Ice spells, which in the end is what killed him accompanied by a few swings of Dragonbane. Still though he was tough!

Rhew

The missing snow elf
Malkoran--the guy you defeat to get Dawnbreaker. This guy takes you OUT with one blast of ice storm.

All the others mentioned, I can take down in about 2-3 shots. Gotta do it 3x for Miraak, since he sacrifices his faithful dragons for his own selfish purposes, but it's still easy.

Yes! I came here just to say that! It took me 10 or more tries to kill him the first time I did this quest. I tried sneaking pot shots at him and couldn't kill him. I would try sprinting to him and fusrodah'ing him before he could start using magic and no luck. I think I ended up having to do a mixture of the two and running while my follower took most of the blows.

Wildroses

I'd probably have to say Malkoran as well as he remains the only boss I have ever had to lower the difficulty to defeat. Normally when I come across hard bosses I try and use to terrain and make them chase after me as I run hither and thither regenerating magic and/or health. The Wolf Queen once chased me all the way back through the catacombs, and Curamil was once defeated at level 5 by running to back to the bridge and jumping off because he won't jump as well, preferring the long way around. But because that stupid daedra Merida goes and seals the door with an unpickable lock there is nowhere to hide from his stupid ice storm spell in that long passage.

Oh, and Moss Mother cave is extremely difficult on level 2 Master. I once spent forty minutes trying to defeat those three spriggans and bear. I did eventually succeed though. Fear my quicksave mastery, noobs!

Kaysss

Alduin is easy... You have 3 companions with you
For me are the dragon priest and final bosses of DLC

Enviado desde mi XT1032 mediante Tapatalk

Alduin is easy... You have 3 companions with you
For me are the dragon priest and final bosses of DLC

Enviado desde mi XT1032 mediante Tapatalk

I wasn't talking about that battle. I was talking about the one on top of the Throat of the World, which I do believe I said in my original post. Of course the final battle is easy, you have three companions, Alduin is weakened, and you have more experience with the Dragonrend shout by then. I'm getting a little tired of people telling me how easy Alduin is. Yes maybe he was for you. But I first fought him when I was just learning how to play Skyrim the first time, on Adept difficulty with a weak follower and nearly no knowledge of the games mechanics. Not everyone's experience is the same so if everyone could please stop telling me how easy Alduin is that would be lovely.
Apologies for the rant but this is becoming tiring. I'll be shambling off to get some sleep now. If I misunderstood the comment I'm sorry. I've been up all night so it's completely possible.

TheNatural

Yes! I came here just to say that! It took me 10 or more tries to kill him the first time I did this quest. I tried sneaking pot shots at him and couldn't kill him. I would try sprinting to him and fusrodah'ing him before he could start using magic and no luck. I think I ended up having to do a mixture of the two and running while my follower took most of the blows.

You can also make damage magika regen poisons that will halt magic regen by 100% for a good while. They can be made pretty easily, I'm at about 55 in alc, with no perks, and I can make ones that last for 15-20 seconds. Once he fires off a few spells, he'll come at you, just keep poisoning the arrows and kite him, and it's pretty easy at that point.

Rhew

The missing snow elf

You can also make damage magika regen poisons that will halt magic regen by 100% for a good while. They can be made pretty easily, I'm at about 55 in alc, with no perks, and I can make ones that last for 15-20 seconds. Once he fires off a few spells, he'll come at you, just keep poisoning the arrows and kite him, and it's pretty easy at that point.

You know, I have never used poisons in the game outside of the one you use in the DB quest. I always forget about them. I usually only make them for the gold. But maybe I should actually start trying out the poisons :)

raido KASAI

Ansei Master Badass
Ebony Warrior on legend difficulty. Got my sword-wielding ass shouted off the mountains a couple dozen times

Last edited:

Kohlar the Unkilled

Time for some ale
Karstaag. Not a true boss, yet changed the fate of Kohlar, and forced the forging of a weapon specifically made to dispatch the giant.

As for true bosses, Malkoran killed me many times in my first playthrough. Since, Ive been more than ready for him. The real threat is Zahkriisos. He can and will light you up. :beermug:

ColleenG

When in doubt, follow the fox.
Karstaag at level 41 was really tough for me on master. REALLY tough. You have to fight him in a single room with little to no cover, and he has an Area of Effect cast that spins a cold wind around the room, doing damage and completely draining stamina. He also seemed to have a ton of health.

I also forgot about the Word wall out in the open with Krosis. I snuck up from a distance, got a sneak shot off on the ancient dragon, then proceeded to run to what I thought was a safe area with good cover, and all of a sudden I hear the unmistakable *crack* that accompanies an opening of a tomb, and Krosis, and his fireball shooting staff of death rise to promptly make me poop myself. I died the first time, not gonna lie. The second time I had to use up some of my strongest poisons, and just focused Krosis Down while my Follower distracted the dragon. It was a fun fight.

Did you know there's a rock ledge you can stand on to defeat Karstaag? He can't get you from there and you can just fire arrows at him. Summon a dremora or something to keep him busy and you're good.

Kohlar the Unkilled

Time for some ale
Did you know there's a rock ledge you can stand on to defeat Karstaag? He can't get you from there and you can just fire arrows at him. Summon a dremora or something to keep him busy and you're good.
Haha, I did not know that! Would that I could, yet it's not the Nord way. :beermug:

The Honorable Gidian Diva of Sass

Sahrot Vahlok Spaan. Bahnahgaar. Minion #88!
Staff member
The Ebony Warrior is BY FAR the greatest challenge on Skyrim for me. Nothing else even comes CLOSE.

Wippii

Bookworm
Malkoran has never given me any real trouble... probably because I always play as a Nord who uses archery. :p
I always use my strongest poison(s) and fortify marksman potion(s) against him, as well as switch to my best arrows. The corrupted shades in his room are tougher than him (and his shade), if I'm high level. He is, after all, a mage wearing robes.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts