what to do if the game starts lagging?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
I have the legendary edition on ps3, and I recently started doing the Imperial legion quest line when the game became super laggy. It usually becomes super laggy when theres a lot of people on screen at once, like during the missions where you take over a stormcloak location for example. I've never had this problem with the vanilla version of the game. is there a way to fix this problem? The legendary edition sucks compared to the vanilla version. At least the problems in that version were easy to deal with. I'm level 51 if that matters?

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
If you have disabled your auto-save options and it's laggy, as @JRMoosePaul noted, just save and restart your game. If it continues, you may want to reset your cache (basically unplug your system and plug it back in again).

I've played SR on PS3 and PS4 and it can be an issue, but one of the above usually works. Be forwarned though that there are lag zones in the Rift that aren't to be believed so don't get too frustrated.

I have every auto-save disabled and am still having problems. I'll stop playing when it lags too bad, but the next time I try to play, the lag happens again. Is there a certain add on that makes the game lag? if so, I'll just not play the game with it installed? Does the special edition on ps4 perform better or does that also have lag issues? I'm thinking it does perform better since its on a newer system?

Daelon DuLac

You may want to clear out most of your inventory as well and make sure that all your kills are cleaned up. The more inventory in the world (and that includes your own storage) makes things slow down as well (in other words, don't collect anything at all or your game will lag).

Make sure to delete most of your saves before you start on a daily basis (I delete all my auto-saves and all but the hard-save I am using and never keep more than one character record going at a time when I'm on the PS3).

To answer your question, it does seem to be better on the PS4, although I have taken the same precautions (disabled auto-saves, etc. and keeping my saves and inventory to a minimum).

Doesn't stop the Rift lags and stuttering though.

You may want to clear out most of your inventory as well and make sure that all your kills are cleaned up. The more inventory in the world (and that includes your own storage) makes things slow down as well (in other words, don't collect anything at all or your game will lag).

Make sure to delete most of your saves before you start on a daily basis (I delete all my auto-saves and all but the hard-save I am using and never keep more than one character record going at a time when I'm on the PS3).

To answer your question, it does seem to be better on the PS4, although I have taken the same precautions (disabled auto-saves, etc. and keeping my saves and inventory to a minimum).

I started cleaning out my chests in every house that ive stored stuff but it hasent really fixed the problem. The only items I left laying around were the ones that enemies drop when I kill them, but they should respawn when the enemies respawn right? I onlt have one save which is the manual one. Maybe my ps3 is just getting old?

Daelon DuLac

I started cleaning out my chests in every house that ive stored stuff but it hasent really fixed the problem. The only items I left laying around were the ones that enemies drop when I kill them, but they should respawn when the enemies respawn right? I onlt have one save which is the manual one. Maybe my ps3 is just getting old?
Nope. What you leave laying around when you kill an enemy just stays there and mucks up the inventory in the saves. It's weird. An example I can use is the encounter spot at the top of the hill where the road from Helgen meets the road between Riverwood & Falkreath. If you kill some bandits or whatever and just leave them w/out taking everything (or at least taking everything and then redepositing it in their corpses), you'll find that, even after they despawn, there will be weapons and shields laying about. When they respawn they'll have new stuff and the old stuff is still laying there. And then the cycle continues. Skyrim on the PS3 is a weird game.

Daelon DuLac

my save file is 14mb
That explains the stuttering. Sorry. It's just what happens. Have you tried clearing your cache? At least on the PS4 we don't have the mb problems.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts