What platform is the best? (PC)

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Which one prevails

• Xbox360

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • PS3

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Wii

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Glorious PC of master gaming race

Votes: 14 63.6%

• Total voters

Vimalamitra

Professional complainer
So, what do you guys think.

I made it provocative in order to create more discussion about the subject.

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
I think PC gaming prevails but it is not superior in every aspect and situation. For example, playing certain games together with a couple of friends (e.g. Beat ’Em Ups, Party games, ...) is so much, much more entertaining when you are sitting together in a room instead of playing online. I wouldn’t want to miss my consoles for these occasions. A PC just can’t compete with them in that regard. Also, I prefer to play roundbased RPGs (think JRPGs and the like) on consoles for some reason. And then there are of course exclusives like “Shadow of the Colossus” ...

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
Why only current generation consoles? For me, being a diehard console fan, the greatest console of all time is the NES (Or Famicom). It took what Atari started with the Atari 2600 and made it so much better.

I respect the PC, and the gamers that use. But it's simply not for me. I was raised with a controller and TV. So it's always been a console for me.

And like Demut said, there are certain pros to using a console. As well as the cons. Same goes with the PC. Also, yes, Shadow of the Colossus owns.

Pestilence

Uneducated guesses since 1983
I agree with Demut and Jester, although PC obviously is well above consoles in hardware and limits, you can't reasonably have friends over to play some kinect (or similiar) whilst having a few beers. So, all in all I wouldn't really say one is the best, it's really a personal preference. But, as far as graphics and game limits go, PC obviously has the upper hand. As far as my personal preference, I have both and I prefer my xbox for gaming over my PC.

Lilfish43

I play on PS3 (because i have a crappy Toshiba Laptop) so I voted for PS3

Jack Fulham

Premium Member
Every vote is going to be impartial on this thread because no one will own it all of the platforms so how do we know?

I think it's superior on PC due to the huge amount of mods that will be available but if you have a plopse PC, it's xbox or ps3 every time. I'd love to play it on PC if I had a decent one but I'd probably use my xbox controller whilst playing, never got used to play with a mouse and keys on a game like Skyrim. I do use it for FM12 and the total war series but you wouldn't use a controller for them.

Stone

Retired Moderator
I don't have Skyrim for PC, I have it for PS3. But I know for a fact that on PC it will be better, due to the framerate being better and that you can add mods.

I voted for PS3 anyway though. ;)

It's not entirely true in terms of people owning all consoles, I personally own 2 out of 3 of this generation, and have played enough of the 3rd to be able to give an honest opinion.

Power wise, PC will always dominate. Possibly not at the particular time the console comes out, but by the middle duration of the consoles lifespan, PC will be on top, simply because of how quick hardware comes out and how quickly technology improves.

With this generation, due to the capabilities the Kinect has alone, I'm voting for the Xbox 360. Don't give that crap on how you can mod it to work on your PC either, I'm looking at items out of box how they are supposed to be used.

I mention the Kinect as a breaker, not because of the gaming alone (I personally don't play any of the current Kinect games), but as a technology period. If you've looked at E3's Microsoft conference, they demonstrated numerous things you can do with your Kinect, from voice commands toward Bing and Netflix, to even being able to take pictures / video and then uploading them to Facebook, the possibilities are almost endless for the things developers are making this mocap censor do. You can also argue with Wii Motion+ and Sony Move, but neither hold a candle to the Kinect.

Ah12321

I have Skyrim for PS3, and I like it... I've play Oblivion on PC, and Morrowind on X-Box, and have liked those both. I don't think you can go wrong.

Flamingtaco

Consoles are easier, cheaper, simpler, and have exclusives. Other than that a pc can beat them in anything. Actually with emulators almost every older console and even the wii and gamecube can ne plaued on pc.

Bakinshake

i own a 360 and a wii and I have played many hours on a ps3 i only recently have got into pc gaming and I believe that pc's have forever and always will be on top.

Finalchrono

Time Bandit
First off, this is a weird question. The question you boast is an oxymoron in it's broad and not broad at the same time. You're only including the current generation of systems, when in fact they're mostly just graphical changes, bar the motion stuff now. So, it depends on how you look at it. I could look at it by their limitations, consistency, or great story telling for the specific platform to name a few.

Limitations:
Xbox 360: Did not have built in wifi initially, and neither does a PC (unless you count laptops). Also their first processor was great, but had so many flaws. To some their controller is bulky and uncomfortable.
PS3: RAM, good lord they only provide 256MB of RAM and only 200 of that is even accessible.
Wii: Well there was almost no graphical update from its predecessor, not to mention the wii motion is actually worse than the kinect or the PS3 Move. UNLESS you buy Wiimotion Plus. (I cannot attest to this as I haven't tried it)
PC: Cash. You can always upgrade your PC as long as you have the money.

Consistency:
Xbox 360: It is horribly inconsistent. First time it came out it was huge, had no built in wifi, and had a crappy processor. You can't make a console and upgrade it later because you rushed it into the market to screw over the PS3.
PS3: It was big in the beginning and even had backwards compatibility. Now it is small and has no backwards compatibility. (Change can be good or bad)
Wii: Pretty damn consistent, aside from having to upgrade their motion capture tech.
PC: Extremely inconsistent since everything is based on hardware performance.

Great Story Telling:
Xbox 360: I will admit the xbox has a pretty damn good library as far as that goes, but it also has a large number of crap titles as well.
PS3: Well, its library is pretty small. Most games made in Japan that have a great story aren't ported here, not to mention Japan will not be porting ANY of their games to the US anymore. However, with its small library it does have some pretty awesome exclusive stories.
Wii: The Wii has some awesome titles, but they also have a lot of rehashed boring games. When will they stop making the same damn games over and over again?
PC: This is a hard one to tackle. There are so many PC games that I haven't even touched. I know it has an extremely large amount of horrible games though.

You can take what you want from these brief reviews. I tend to lean more towards which platform has the best stories. Who cares about graphics if you enjoy the game so much?

vincent

SC2: DudeMan 346
While FinalChrono brings up some good points, I'm an arguement deprived xbox 360 fan and xbox 360 RULES! lol Thats all.

Jersey Dagmar

It's all a matter of preference. I love owning consoles, and luckily I have a stable job where I can afford to own all of them. (Well used to have the Wii).

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
PC: This is a hard one to tackle. There are so many PC games that I haven't even touched. I know it has an extremely large amount of horrible games though.
Nice list. I agree with most of it. I would like to add that PC has a lot of games that are not available to console games like Starcraft 2, DotA 2, and a whole bunch of great indie games. If you use steam, you will have a large selection of games to buy and there are a lot of great games out there that will never come out on consoles. More importantly, steam has ridiculous sales very often. You'll be buying many great titles for less than 10 dollars.

Jersey Dagmar

Most PC games I've come to notice I personally don't have interest in. Starcraft...meh, I can live without. I wasn't raised on PC games, so that makes sense to me.

I think the only PC game I ever got into was Oregon Trail. However, I would like to get Amnesia and Prenumbra, but I downloaded the Amnesia demo from Steam and my computer said F U.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
Most PC games I've come to notice I personally don't have interest in. Starcraft...meh, I can live without. I wasn't raised on PC games, so that makes sense to me.

I think the only PC game I ever got into was Oregon Trail. However, I would like to get Amnesia and Prenumbra, but I downloaded the Amnesia demo from Steam and my computer said F U.
oregan trail ftw. but really, PC gets a lot of advantages due to its ability to modify and have full control over your game. That's why strategy games and FPS games like to stick closer with PC. However, you need to spend a lot of money to get all that advantage. Owning a cheap computer and being less tech-savvy ruins the PC gaming experience.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts