What kind of tips can you give an Elder Scroll New guy?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

dexterlablab1

Honestly, I've only played Morrowind twice.

And that was very long ago obviously. I totally missed oblivion. But I do plan on having Skyrim. So with that said, is there anything a new yet old guy like me should be aware of?

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
well, they are introducing dragons and dragon shout and that's pretty much about it I guess. There is no school of mysticism but all its spells are fused with other school of magic. Also dual wielding and you 'equip' magic like it's a weapon.

N3w_2_$kyr1min

Can't wait for Skyrim
I would suggest you don't go through doing the whole main story line straight off the bat.. elder scrolls games have loads of side quests and other plops to do, which allow you to level up your character and get awesome new weapons. ^^ Idk about Skyrim, but in Oblivion it would be pretty hard to just start and only do the main story line because you wouldn't level up enough just from that.. so you'll have more fun if you do side missions a lot as well and don't purely focus on the main storyline. :)

Also, if Skyrim has hotkeys again, another thing I'd suggest is hotkeying health potions and mana potions so you can quickly restore your health/mana (also your favourite weapons if you want). That means you don't need to go into menus and stuff as much during combat, which kind of ruin the thrill. xD

Oh and don't use any glitches/cheats/mods etc. during your first play through at the least, I assure you it will ruin the game..

Steve House

Yea just have fun and explore the world of Skyrim. Take in the sights, do the side quests, learn about the lore and backstory, and just have fun! Familiarize yourself with the new combat system with smaller quests and then when you feel ready to take on the big guys, hop into the main storyline quests. Good luck and keep us updated on your adventures!!

Stonkey

I agree with n3w. Don't jump right into the main story. I always start out just by exploring around a bit and trying a few dungeons. Then maybe find a town and look for some easy quests.

Eventually, you have to look into mods, if you get it for pc. If the modding is like anything is has been for Morrowind or Oblivion, there will be a lot of sweet stuff out there.

MellowGuy

Be as lost as possible. There is nothing more fulfilling than discovery of awesome stuff versus trying to replicate a previous experience. Just stumble along til you get the hang of it. This style depends on your patience of course. If you are just trying to pass the game as quickly as possible, you might probably consult walkthroughs or something (booooo).

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
Try thinking of a narration of your own wherever the game doesn’t have one. For example, imagine the background of the character that you play. Or if the motives of an NPC aren’t explained, think about what they might be. This way the experience becomes more unique, interesting and immersive for you.

Tusck

My advice: explore everything, steal everything, and read everything, then go kill some stuff. That's how I play anyway. That great thing about playing a single player, you can take as long as you want to learn, play and just have fun. It like getting back to the basics.

Mikk

Article Writer
I don't know if this'll count for you, but I'm a MASSIVE lore-fan. I spend most of the time (especially in the beginning) immersing myself in the game and trying to learn as much as possible about the world, then I go about the main quest in full-on role-playing mode.

This always heightens the Elder Scrolls experience for me, so I'd recommend it :)

Renegader

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know if this'll count for you, but I'm a MASSIVE lore-fan. I spend most of the time (especially in the beginning) immersing myself in the game and trying to learn as much as possible about the world, then I go about the main quest in full-on role-playing mode.

This always heightens the Elder Scrolls experience for me, so I'd recommend it :)

So you read all those books you find along the way as well as stuff from the codex?

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
I’m kinda like that as well, minus the online research. But if it’s in-game I’ll read it.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts