What is the most powerful raise dead spell?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
I'm all the way up to Dread Zombie and do not know of any other raise dead spells (I know about the ritual stone though) and it really doesn't seem to raise that high a level of folks.

Any thoughts? I'm at 92 on my conjuration and even the college doesn't have any more tomes for me to buy.

khazan99

Semi-professional cabbage collector
I think it's Dead Thrall, isn't it? Irishman or one of the other knowledgeable folks would know for certain though, since they're all up on the latest necromantic voodoo stuff ;)

Daelon DuLac

I think it's Dead Thrall, isn't it? Irishman or one of the other knowledgeable folks would know for certain though, since they're all up on the latest necromantic voodoo stuff ;)
Where is it then? I've been to 100 in conjuration many times and have never seen it. Am I missing something?

khazan99

Semi-professional cabbage collector
Phineas Gestor sells it but I think there's a quest for him to be done.

You know those Skyrim NPCs - - always gotta do some chores for them before they'll cough up the good stuff ;)

EDIT: link to convoluted quest process

Daelon DuLac

Phineas Gestor sells it but I think there's a quest for him to be done.

You know those Skyrim NPCs - - always gotta do some chores for them before they'll cough up the good stuff ;)

EDIT: link to convoluted quest process
Hmm... I've made it past him to get the Master Level spell a couple of times but that's Dremora based, not necro based. I'll need to check again.

Adam Warlock

Completing the Conjuration Ritual Spell quest causes Gestor to give you the Sigil Stone and Flame Thrall tome.
You can then purchase Frost , Storm , and/or Dead Thrall tomes from him.

Daelon DuLac

Completing the Conjuration Ritual Spell quest causes Gestor to give you the Sigil Stone and Flame Thrall tome.
Oh. I remember that. Is Dead Thrall all that much better? What level? I seem to remember that the Thrall spells weren't all that and I was stuck with them long term (which I really, really did not want).

I'm all the way up to Dread Zombie and do not know of any other raise dead spells (I know about the ritual stone though) and it really doesn't seem to raise that high a level of folks.

Any thoughts? I'm at 92 on my conjuration and even the college doesn't have any more tomes for me to buy.
It's dead thrall go talk to the conjuration mage at the college hell give you quest to get the spell

Aren Direfrost... Witchhunter

Black Orchid

Death Incarnate
Dead Thralls are interesting for variety's sake, but after some experimentation, I prefer the Wrathman spell (you can find the Tome in the Soul Cairn via the Dawnguard expansion). In conjunction with the Necromancy, Dark Souls, and Twin Souls Conjuration perks, you can summon two Wrathmen with 900 hit points each for a duration of 1.5 minutes. Although the duration is not permanent, I have found that they hang around long enough to help finish off most encounters on Master difficulty before they expire.

Wrathman is an Expert level spell, which means you can obtain it at an earlier level than the Master spell Dead Thrall. The casting time is also much quicker should you get in a pinch and need aid immediately. Master level spells consume a lot of Magicka, but they also take a while to cast, which in my opinion makes them less efficient. Also, with the Wrathman spell, you don't need a corpse like you do with Dead Thrall.

The Wrathman doesn't do a lot of damage, but he is one very tough customer, and will keep your enemies busy long enough for you to raise either your Magical or Weapon skills in the process of finishing them off. Also, Dead Thralls appear to get lost after a while if you run too fast or too far ahead of them through complex terrain, which I find annoying when I suddenly become surrounded by enemies.

So while technically not the most powerful or highest level spell, Wrathman does have its merits. :)

30j048x.png

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
Oh. I remember that. Is Dead Thrall all that much better? What level? I seem to remember that the Thrall spells weren't all that and I was stuck with them long term (which I really, really did not want).

You can raise corpses up to Lv40 or with the Necromage Restoration perk, you can raise undead corpses (namely Master Vampires or Volkihor Vampires) that are up to Lv50.

They are permanent until killed so you may be better off going with the Wrathman as Orchid said to give your character that evil feel without the negatives of having a thrall.

All that said, with the ability to give thralls any weapon (including summoning staves), being able to smith and enchant their armour and the fact that they dont disintegrate upon death, makes thralls the most versitile summons in the game... although I am personally a fan of a Dremora (although you can even permanently thrall certain types of dremora).

Also dont dismiss Storm Thralls, especially when traveling outside. They can take out dragons quite well and wreak havoc against bandits and other random encountered hostiles.

orca45

What we do in life, echoes in the eternity !

Dead thrall are the best in the sense that you can equip them as you wish and make them more powerful. As my second choice, I suggest a dremora lord. Your conjuration must be at 100% I guess to be able to cast a dead thrall. Don’t like that much to be followed by a zombie but when it comes down to powerful followers and servants, dead thrall are the top in the game. Just my 2 cents ... :)

Your conjuration must be at 100% I guess to be able to cast a dead thrall. Don’t like that much to be followed by a zombie but when it comes down to powerful followers and servants, dead thrall are the top in the game. Just my 2 cents ... :)
If you already know the spell and make conjuration legendary, you still have dead thrall :) Of course, you'll either need fortify conjuration gear, or a crap ton of magicka to cast it at a low conjuration level.

I know it isn't a spell, but what about the Ritual Stone? It can revive much higher level NPCs and people. For a few minutes of course. But if you take advantage of the Atherial Crown, then you have a fun, constantly reusable, non-magicka costing power to wreak some havoc lol.

Daelon DuLac

I got both the Ritual Stone on my Aetherial Crown and Dead Thrall over the weekend.

Two Comments:
The Ritual Stone is fun! It quite literally raises everything in the area (that's dead, of course) and they follow you around for a while (I think 3 minutes). I've done it 1/2 a dozen times when I slaughter Thalmor Justiciar's and they end up quite useful. Can't wait to use it for something better.
Dead Thrall is a decent spell, but getting rid of the a-hole you raised is terrible. Being followed around by a moaning ding-a-ling all the time really got on my nerves. The problem is that I have to redefeat the dern thing to get rid of it. Oh well. At least once their gone I can find something better. Maybe I'll try a critter instead. At least they don't moan. A snowbear maybe?

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
You can only thrall humanoid races (any race that is playable by you) unfortunately. The Ritual Stone will raise the bear for you but they wont stick around permanently.

Being followed around by a thrall does take patience and diligence on your part. They are far more prone to losing you and they often get sidetracked or get stuck behind simple things.... like pebbles (damn pebbles getting in front of my poor corpses :mad:).

Keep in mind that to kill your thrall, using a cloaking spell (flame cloak/frost cloak etc) will instantly kill them (at least it does on my game, it may have been patched?). Also, a sneak attack to the back with a powerful dagger is usually enough to take out MOST thralls.

You may have better luck with flame or frost thrall unless you are role playing a necromancers or something

Aren Direfrost... Witchhunter

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts