What is the difference between a Spellsword and a Battlemage?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Swiiftz

I have looked around the forum and I can not find something that I can understand :S Also what is better on the long term and what is more fun: A Battlemage, A Spellsword and A Pure Mage? HELP ME PLEASE
-Swiiftz

nordicowboy

Must be my Nord blood......
Battlemages lean more towards Destruction and Conjuration for offence, while a Spellsword is going to balance more between 1H and spells. Also most breakdowns I've seen of Battlemages have them in heavy armor exclusively. MY preference goes to Spellsword.

ShadowGambit

Battlemage uses spells for offense and defense. So mostly destruction and conjuration for offense. They usually have no perks or even high level in weapon skills. The problem is that in Skyrim, if you have to be level 60+, you will have to level your third tiers skills, even if in roleplay you won't use it much. Staves are the weapon of choice. Also, even if some like Heavy Armor, a BattleMage well rounded can do without with Alteration Spells. They will use mostly long range attack with their spells and rarely come to melee. An Elementalist can be classified as BattleMage

Spellsword use Weapon for offense and spells for defense. 1h weapon are weapon of choice because then they will have a spell ready in the off-hand (Illusion or Restoration, mostly). They will have their One-Handed to 100 and choose a speciality depending on the type of 1h weapon they use. They will level their destruction because perks like Augmented Fire also affect Weapon enchantment. They will use Illusion for crowd control (Frenzy, pacify etc...) but not for stealth purpose. They will nearly exclusively use Heavy Armor because they rely on melee. A Paladin can be classified as a Spellsword.

Nightblade are Spellsword but that are focus on a more stealthy approach. They will use bow and daggers with sneak attack. In spells they will use mostly Illusion (Muffle, Invisibility...) and Alteration (Telekinesis, Detect Life...). Their sneak will be very High, as well as their One-Handed and Archery skill. For illusion, Quiet casting becomes a must. They will use Light Armor for a better sneak. Most assassin build that you will see on this forum can be considered NightBlade because most use Illusion.

Personal definitions vary, but the deciding factor seems to be Armor. To me, Spell/sword is just a combo, one in each hand. Battlemage is what I call a Warlock, or a mage specializing in combat, which can switch between dual cast at range, and 2 handed in the melee. A pure Mage is simple in theory, nothing but Magic. No armor, weapons, or sneak. Similar builds are the Nightblade, a Magic Assassin, and Witch Hunter, which combines magic with Archery, among other things. I also do a rather effective Spell/Shield Combo, because a shield makes up for wearing robes with better protection, and the bash can open up opportunities to break out of the fray. (I think that's a variation on Battlemage.)

Along with the classic choices of Altmer, and Breton, Redguard works well as most of these builds, except for Nightblade. Those are best with Dunmer, since they start with all of the requisite skills.

Swiiftz

Thabks for all the information :D i have decided to go for pure mage for know may turn battlemage after =D

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts