What is the best weapon and armor for a dagger-using(and bow) light armor assassin?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

ActOfGod

Let's kill someone!
I've yet to get the game(have to wait till Christmas sadly), but through my countless hours spent researching what my character is going to be instead of doing my homework, I have some questions. I think I have my perk build figured out, but we'll see how it turns out when I actually start playing. I can always make a new character. Anyway, I've decided to be an assassin/thief. I'm going to be part of The Dark Brotherhood and the Thieves Guild. I've heard that dragonscale armor is the best for light armor wearers, but the video was referring to an archery character, not necessarily a sneak/dagger damage assassin. This guy has two videos saying like the most epic gear in skyrim or something, and he goes through this like half an hour process on how to enchant your stuff and whatnot to make it absolutely insane. Not having the time, patience, or knowledge to understand him, I skimmed through it. Anyway, I've also heard *SLIGHT SPOILER ALERT!* that if you do all the above and beyond parts of quests for the Dark Brotherhood, you'll eventually get a note, yada yada yada, and get some Ancient Shadowshroud? Armor, which isn't as armor wise good as the dragonscale I think, but comes with some really really good enchants for assassins. Anyone know about this?
Also, I have zero clue what the best dagger or daggers would be aswell as the best bow. I've heard Blade of Woe I believe it is and Daedric Bow, but I'm not sure. I also would appreciate what enchants to stick on these and things of that nature to make them better, as well as what to put on the armor. Thanks a ton!
Your friendly noob,
ActOfGod

Touchstone

I'm currently playing in the same style you want to play.

I used a mash up of improved (via smithing) Nightingale and Ancient Shrouded Armor. Their buffs are such that, once improved, they outclass armor I can make pretty easily.

Weapons - Self enchanted daedric bow, double wielding named swords. Improve everything using smithing. Dedra is typically the best type of weapon.

ActOfGod

Let's kill someone!
Alright thanks a ton. Now I know you replace all the smithing armor you make when you get the good stuff, but should I still level it to make armor to use before I get the really good armor, as well as for smithing buffs?

Forumate

The best weapons for your role would be a Deadric dagger and bow. The best armor and enchantments would depend on how you want to play the game. Thief's Guild Armor, Shrouded Armor, and Nightingale armor are the three sets you should be looking at. Pick the one that works best for you or mix and match.

I use a lot of illusion magic with my assassin build so I use the Nightingale armor. I like the look of Ebony weapons over Deadric so I have a Ebony dagger and bow both improved to legendary.

Touchstone

Alright thanks a ton. Now I know you replace all the smithing armor you make when you get the good stuff, but should I still level it to make armor to use before I get the really good armor, as well as for smithing buffs?
I didn't find it necessary.

DragonBoneBow

Well if your looking for the highest base damage for daggers its the dragonbone dagger and the blade of woe. But the blade of woe has a very bad enchantment so i would go for the dragonbone dagger. my dragon bone dagger has the damage of about 50 to 60 but i have level 100 enchanting so i have frost damage and fire damage at 27 which makes the damage about 114. the highest base damage bow is the dragon bone bow as my name suggests. it is worth it looking at some crossbows because they have some of the highest base damage of all weapons in the game. dwarven crossbow is the best. hope that helps

tonj

Master of Distraction
The ancient shrouded armor is my favorite for that playing style since I only use bows pretty much. I have archery perks that slow down time and zoom in but it sucks down stamina so I enchanted my dragon bone bow (you can pick one up in the soul cairn off one of the big skeleton guys if you have the dawnguard expansion) with two enchants that restore 25 stamina apiece each hit, plus that bow does the most damage. The chaos enchant or soul trap enchants are nice for bows as well. Craft arrows, they are cake to make, just an ingot or a bone and 1 piece of firewood for 24 arrows, they add a lot of damage, dragon bone arrows do 24 damage as opposed to orcish which are like 12. I wear the dragon scale armor which is the light armor set for the dragon bone smithing. I think it is pretty awesome. I enchanted it with stamina regen/sneak/pick pocket/lockpicking I still use the shrouded hood though because I like the way it looks, way more stealthy than a big old head of bones. Plus the black of the hood matches the dark texture of the armor. I wore glass armor forever. I think it is super ugly, but effective. As for a dagger, keep in mind you are going to have to have a high level of sneak in order to even get close enough to a target to attack them without being spotted. If spotted your 6x or 15x damage bonus is removed, and then you are stuck wielding a dagger that does like 40 max damage against a guy in nordic carved armor and a two handed mace. Not the best idea for a light armor (or in the case of the thieves guild or dark brotherhood sets, leather) so I'd use bows until you get that skill up. Put some distance between you and bludgeoning death.

Okay, first of all, the "Best Armor" for an Assassin is a fairly minor issue, if you play like an Assassin. By this I mean avoiding direct Conflict/rontation to steal, and kill undetected. If you're good enough at this, eventually you just don't get hit, so Armor is basically Enchantment Carrier with a tree for certain useful Perks. You're right about Light Armor, Wind Walker is always nice, and the best pre-enchanted pieces for this style are almost exclusively Light Armor. I contend that they might as well be Clothes, except when it all goes wrong, and you're forced into Fight/Flight.

Dragonscale has the highest Armor Rating, that's it. If you're Smithing, you can get it to the cap, just like heavy, and that's fine, but you end up investing an offal lot in something that you only ever need if 1) they detect you, 2) they close enough to be a threat, 3) you don't kill them first, or 4) Escape to sneak back around, and 5) can land enough blows, or surround you to beat you down.

This makes Dragoonscale ideal for a Fighter who has a lot of Assassin Skills, but prefers to wade in, and tank. If you're not going to tank, then you don't need all that much Armor Rating. A minimum will do, I've gotten away with nothing but Health once I got to a high enough level (In Clothes, with a Greatsword so I couldn't use the Shrouded handwraps, nor Assassin's Blade.)

Otherwise, it's a heck of a lot simpler to go get the Shrouded gear, then Nightingale, and go around to grab the scattered bits, and pieces to dial it in. Pay attention to the Effect they give you (Some of which can't be Enchanted) and all but ignore the Armor Rating. Late game, you might want to get the Nightingale/Ancient Shrouded for that extra little bit of protection, but for the most part, this is the least important thing to an Assassin.

Weight means more, because Silent Roll is still a Sprint, and the more your Equipped items weigh, the more Stamina it takes. So, if you go with Elven, then you can recover from a roll faster (With Windwalker) and roll more often while still having enough Stamina to Power Attack from behind. This goes for Eagle Eye/Steady Hand, Critical Charge, and everything else you use Stamina for. If you use it all up Sprinting, you don't have enough left for a Power Attack (or Bash, long term Zoom, whatever) or have to recover longer/more often.

If you keep your equipment light enough (With my Arcane Assassins, 0.) then, you don't have to invest in Stamina, at all, ever. Non magical, so you don't need Magicka either, so you can put it all in Health. My picks for that (Unarmored) are the Shrouded hood, Jester's Gloves/Boots, and whatever you want on your body. (Either the Mourners' Dress, or Ulfric's Clothes, depending on the Gender.)

As an Archer, I suggest Linwe's Hood, Gauntlets of the Old Gods, Nightingale Boots, Guildmaster's Armor (or whatever, I like that jacket.) and whatever you can whip up for a bow. I kind of play caddy between the Drainspell/Blackbow (For Mages) Nightingale Bow/Finerial's End (Massed Bandits, and the like because of Slow, any Cold Enchanted one will do) and whatever I find lying around, because I rarely Enchant myself as an Archer (Alchemy works better.)

For backstabbing/light skirmishing, I prefer a Sword/Dagger combo, because I can get the Dual Flurry fast striking, Savagery damage bonus (on top of Savage Strike) decent Reach (The main shortcoming of Daggers) and Assassin's Blade multiplier. So, basically whatever the situation, I have the right Blade at hand. The Blade of Woe is sword slow, but otherwise does the most damage, can heal you on strike, and also works with Assassin's Blade. Not too hard to get, either, I can pick one up within a couple hours (IRT) from leaving Helgen with Fast Travel.

The best Swords are the Nightingale Blade, Windshear, the Drainheart Sword, and anything you can make up. Eventually, you can enchant Windshear with Absorb Health/Stamina, and be set. The Scimitar also pretty much eliminates the need for Armor, as long as you don't get surrounded by more than you can stunlock (I've gotten up to 5 with Elemental/Flurry) or stand still in front of too many Archers. Absorb Health means you can slug away unarmored as long as you can strike faster enough to outheal the damage they deal, and Absorb Stamina keeps you running around the battlefield, Critical Charging, Silent Rolling, and Standing Power Attacking through your Backstabs.

The Drainheart, because it's the lightest sword in the game, so everything I said about Armor Weight, only for Power Attacks, instead of Sprinting. So, for a Critical Charge, the Sprint portion drains you a minimum for the lightest possible Armor (if any) then the Power Attack burns a minimum because the DHS weighs less than most daggers, then you get 15 points of Stamina back on strike to keep Sprinting, or follow up with another Power Attack... If you Dual Power Attack with the NGB, and BoW, you get enough stamina back to keep spinning, and probably more Health back than they can take without overwhelming numbers, AFTER you take the biggest danger with a Backstab!

In short, Armor Rating is for stand up fighters, Stealth is your primary defense, range your secondary, evasion your tertiary, and after all that fails, you have to worry about damage Reduction/Health. When all you have is Armor/Health, the rating is a lot more critical.

orca45

What we do in life, echoes in the eternity !
I've yet to get the game(have to wait till Christmas sadly), but through my countless hours spent researching what my character is going to be instead of doing my homework, I have some questions. I think I have my perk build figured out, but we'll see how it turns out when I actually start playing. I can always make a new character. Anyway, I've decided to be an assassin/thief. I'm going to be part of The Dark Brotherhood and the Thieves Guild. I've heard that dragonscale armor is the best for light armor wearers, but the video was referring to an archery character, not necessarily a sneak/dagger damage assassin. This guy has two videos saying like the most epic gear in skyrim or something, and he goes through this like half an hour process on how to enchant your stuff and whatnot to make it absolutely insane. Not having the time, patience, or knowledge to understand him, I skimmed through it. Anyway, I've also heard *SLIGHT SPOILER ALERT!* that if you do all the above and beyond parts of quests for the Dark Brotherhood, you'll eventually get a note, yada yada yada, and get some Ancient Shadowshroud? Armor, which isn't as armor wise good as the dragonscale I think, but comes with some really really good enchants for assassins. Anyone know about this?
Also, I have zero clue what the best dagger or daggers would be aswell as the best bow. I've heard Blade of Woe I believe it is and Daedric Bow, but I'm not sure. I also would appreciate what enchants to stick on these and things of that nature to make them better, as well as what to put on the armor. Thanks a ton!
Your friendly noob,
ActOfGod

I do not agree with the opinion there is a “dedicated” armor for thieve / assassin style or a “dedicated” armor for archery, etc. I think it all depends on how do you want to look basically. For sure, you want a LIGHT ARMOR for that type of class, because light armors will let you use less stamina, you will be lighter, more agile, and will noise much less than a heavy armor. I do use ONLY enchanted light armors. Don’t get me wrong, I do love the Nittingale but it is already enchanted and I don’t like that, but I have used the Nittingale armor itself combined with a Mage Hood, Thalmor boots and Thalmor gloves properly enchanted to boost up my power and it is awesome. I also have a set of dragon light armor with a Mage hood not the helmet but everything comes down to how powerful your sneaking, archery, light armor and muffle are, and you can boost those effects using alchemy, enchanting and smithing.
My boots are enchanted with Sneaking and my skill tree is -1 perk and I am completely invisible, undetectable anytime I use my sneak, but my ring is enchanted up to 400 thousand sneaking so that is why I am completely invisible regardless of what armor I am wearing but anyway, I wear only light armor. If you add to one of your items, the muffle effect, you will be not only invisible but completely noise-free and of course, absolutely lethal.
Alchemy, Enchanting and Smithing are your best friends in the game. By the way, I am not a thieve / assassin class per se, neither a warrior nor a mage but I can be any one of them if I need to. I have no class but one goal : to be a multi-rol-warrior, kind of Navy Seal, capable to stealth, parachute, diving, camouflage, melee, explosive expert, etc. I think you get the idea. If I want to sneak, then I do it and I am invisible; if I want to fight openly, I am lethal with my dagger, magic on my left hand + shout and if I want to do dual casting magic, I am a powerful mage. How did I achieve all that ? Using Alchemy, Enchanting and Smithing to increase my power. Just my 2 cents and I do hope this help you. :)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts