• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

FullmetalHeart20

I mean, I get that he wants a pet Dovahkiin, but why? He puts up with Miraak for ages, and when he becomes more trouble than he's worth Mora recruits you. He gives you tasks, offers all sorts of nifty powers, and outright states he's replacing the last one. It's almost like he's courting you! What could Mora be planning that needs a dragonborn that desperatly?

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
He just wants to know stuff... all of it.

tx12001

I will not tolerate failure...
I mean, I get that he wants a pet Dovahkiin, but why? He puts up with Miraak for ages, and when he becomes more trouble than he's worth Mora recruits you. He gives you tasks, offers all sorts of nifty powers, and outright states he's replacing the last one. It's almost like he's courting you! What could Mora be planning that needs a dragonborn that desperatly?
Maybe he wants to be the most Powerful Daedric Lord if he already isn't by the 4th era

FullmetalHeart20

I think there's a bit of a misunderstanding. Of course he wants knowledge and power, but what use is a dovahkiin to him? It seems he wants to constantly have one in his service. Why does he specifically want a dovahkiin?

tx12001

I will not tolerate failure...
I think there's a bit of a misunderstanding. Of course he wants knowledge and power, but what use is a dovahkiin to him? It seems he wants to constantly have one in his service. Why does he specifically want a dovahkiin?
well think about it the being dragonborn means you are essentially the most powerful person in Tamriel so obviously its power, he wants the strongest to serve him.

JClarke1953

It all seems speculative. It's just too bad Bethesda didn't put more in about Mora and alternative consequences of defeating him.

Wildroses

He might just like the prestige of having a pet Dovahkiin, and it goes no deeper than that. Maybe among the Daedric Lords, a pet Dovahkiin is a bit of a status symbol. I always assumed that was why all the Daedric Lords kept throwing lures, people and quests our way in Skyrim, and why it is possible to have artefacts from each and every one of them (except Nocturnal who you have to sell your soul to). Most people consider themselves lucky to get one Daedric artefact in their lifetime. The Dovahkiin can get fifteen.

orca45

What we do in life, echoes in the eternity !
It all seems speculative. It's just too bad Bethesda didn't put more in about Mora and alternative consequences of defeating him.
>> Not only with Mora but probably with all of them. What they need is a new champion .. always ... it is kind of the same background excuse to give you what you are looking for. And if we analyze it, what possible danger will have Miraak to pose against Mora anyway ? None. Was Mora unhappy with him ? Yes. So, I guess we need to “behave” so Mora does not come out of his nasty world to kill us I guess ... lol ... ;)

Jo'rak Vandeni

Jurrrl o' Sweden
Bethesda "sort of" gave a really vague explanation to this.

Hermaeus Mora and all the Daedra are not bothered with Nirn and Tamriel at all, they have no feelings for mortals in any real way like that, since they didn't even share in the creation of Nirn, so they use mortals like chess pieces, it's all a game for them.

Hermaeus Mora plays another game for himself, he loves knowledge! And so he does whatever needed to get all of it, as with the Skaal. Mora doesn't need the knowledge (or maybe he does, but don't see any way he would) it's just the fact the Skaal have hid the knowledge from him from so long that makes him want it. We all want what we can't have right? It's just a competition for him.

And then the to explain the dragonborn thing. Imagine all the 9(?) daedra competing with each other, bragging with their power and such. Imagine what bragging rights Mora would have, to not only usurp one dragonborn as his servant, but two different Dovahkiin as his champions!
To simplify it, imagine all the Daedra have one chess-pawn as their champion, would you not be jealous of that one Daedra that shows up with a Chess-Queen instead as his/her Champion? ;)

It is true that many of them seem to revel in the idea of you being their champion, but if you spurn them there is no negative effect. This has always seemed a little odd that on the one hand they go to some lengths to snare you, but then make no effort to keep you. In the same vein none of them seem to care that you are a follower of several other Daedra.
It might be an interesting Mod if you could only have the benefits of following one Daedra at a time (like standing stones) so, if you take the Black Star, you lose any other artifact you are carrying.

Jo'rak Vandeni

Jurrrl o' Sweden
It is true that many of them seem to revel in the idea of you being their champion, but if you spurn them there is no negative effect. This has always seemed a little odd that on the one hand they go to some lengths to snare you, but then make no effort to keep you. In the same vein none of them seem to care that you are a follower of several other Daedra.
It might be an interesting Mod if you could only have the benefits of following one Daedra at a time (like standing stones) so, if you take the Black Star, you lose any other artifact you are carrying.

Blame Bethesda for not finishing Skyrim :/

CaptMorgan72

The power of the dragon born is bestowed by Akatosh, the chief god of the Aedra. So if a Daedra lord can get such a person to swear fealty to them, that is some major bragging rights among the other Daedra lords.

AS88

Staff member
I think everyone's overlooked what the Dragonborn can actually do - steal a Dragon's soul.

We know that the Dragonborn then has the ability to learn a new word, but I assumed that the Dragonborn also absorbed a certain amount of knowledge and power (either consciously or subconsciously) from the Dragon. All of that knowledge, all of the years that that Dragon's soul has existed, is what Mora wants. Your Dragonborn on an average playthrough would kill at the very least, what, 25 Dragons?

There's a lot Mora could learn from that if I'm on the right page here.

Jorrvaskr

Ulfgar Bear-Arm
Hermaeus Mora wants many things, he's never had one goal. In Daggerfall he asks you to murder a Noble, in Oblivion take the soul of each race in Cyrodiil.

In Skyrim, Septimus mentions Mora asks him to do a few things, "A few murders, some dissent spread, a plague or two."

Maybe he wants the Dragonborn to fetch him some mead, maybe a coin, or perhaps a random piece of furniture. Hermaeus Mora is anything but consistent. He can see into the past, present and future, so there could be a reason behind what he wants at the time. You may find out why in a day, week, month, year, hundred years, thousand years etc.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts