What do you consider cheating?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

The Honorable Gidian Diva of Sass

Sahrot Vahlok Spaan. Bahnahgaar. Minion #88!
Staff member
He asked for my opinion, I gave it to him, spawning yourself money in my opinion or any items for that matter than you didn't earn is cheating, literally entering a cheat code haha. I think not embracing the grind is cheating yourself because you are missing out on plenty of content. Btw welcome to the forums.
I have over 3000 hours of Skyrim, and I assure you I have experienced more than my fair share of "the grind". Not everyone wants or needs to take the time to acquire something which they have acquired countless times beforehand.

What does that have to do with putting cheat codes in to console to spawn yourself stuff? I don't see how anyone could consider that playing the game properly.
When you've played a game "properly" a few hundred times, you tend to lose interest in the grind. Never said it was playing the game properly, but it is still a way to play.

The Wanderer

Young Heritic
I have over 3000 hours of Skyrim, and I assure you I have experienced more than my fair share of "the grind". Not everyone wants or needs to take the time to acquire something which they have acquired countless times beforehand.

What does that have to do with putting cheat codes in to console to spawn yourself stuff? I don't see how anyone could consider that playing the game properly.
When you've played a game "properly" a few hundred times, you tend to lose interest in the grind. Never said it was playing the game properly, but it is still a way to play.

And i'm not bashing on anyone's play style (intentionally at least) so I hope people aren't taking offense, i'm just voicing my opinion which is: Using the Console to spawn items, revive people, or anything of that nature is considered cheating.

The Honorable Gidian Diva of Sass

Sahrot Vahlok Spaan. Bahnahgaar. Minion #88!
Staff member

And i'm not bashing on anyone's play style (intentionally at least) so I hope people aren't taking offense, i'm just voicing my opinion which is: Using the Console to spawn items, revive people, or anything of that nature is considered cheating.
Meh. You have your opinions, I have mine.

The Wanderer

Young Heritic

Meh. You have your opinions, I have mine.

Indeed :) which is why I try to avoid these two way threads because the argument would just keep going until the end of time haha.

ShenziSixaxis

Article Writer
Can't be bothered to read the whole thread because it makes my brain boil, but my opinion on cheating is doing anything that you can't do in the game, e.g. god/immortal mode, TCLing in combat, using the kill command to kill everything, etc etc.

But really, who cares? You're not killing actual people or cheating in an online PvP tournament, so enjoy whatever you're doing.

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
He asked for my opinion, I gave it to him, spawning yourself money in my opinion or any items for that matter than you didn't earn is cheating, literally entering a cheat code haha. I think not embracing the grind is cheating yourself because you are missing out on plenty of content. Btw welcome to the forums.

I've read a lot of your posts and I know you won't be swayed, nor am I trying to, however though I've never run a mod in my life, I can see where it would be nice to save some time. Last night was a good example of a time I would have spawned myself some money. Early on a build and I just want a cheap, secure dwelling with a bed and a chest to keep stuff and avoid Miraak's work program. I have plenty of resources to be able to make and sell to get the money, but been there done that. I wouldn't mind a little break from the grind that always seems to be around the corner in Skyrim once in a while.

The Wanderer

Young Heritic

I've read a lot of your posts and I know you won't be swayed, nor am I trying to, however though I've never run a mod in my life, I can see where it would be nice to save some time. Last night was a good example of a time I would have spawned myself some money. Early on a build and I just want a cheap, secure dwelling with a bed and a chest to keep stuff and avoid Miraak's work program. I have plenty of resources to be able to make and sell to get the money, but been there done that. I wouldn't mind a little break from the grind that always seems to be around the corner in Skyrim once in a while.
and hey more power to you man, I just never intend on partaking in stuff like that. Like stated earlier it's a single player game so the player ultimately decides what is cheating and what isn't, some are more strict than others.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?

I thought part of the joy of the game was the discovery of higher level items. At least that is part of my joy. Example: My 20th level character happened to run across an ebony greatsword. JOY! While it is not of the same damage as my trusty Sky Forge one, it was a wonderful feeling! I'm a fan of ebony. Another example: Hitting level 30 and being attacked by a Bothia cultist which leads to the ability to do the Bothia quest and get my favorite armour. Another example: My 7th level Khajit thief/archer completing a quest an finding an Orcish bow in the chest of the treasure room - so much better than the Legion one she was using - and it even came with some Orcish arrows!

Needless to say - sometimes little things mean a lot. Even when I do get PC version, I really don't think I'll use the explotative mods. I just enjoy playing the game as designed without overpowering myself to early.

Alissa DeWitt

Beer Wench
Doing anything with the console is cheating, or a form of it I guess. But hey, it's your playthrough, no one else's and if that makes you happy so be it, each to his own.

I wouldn't go that far. I've used the console to fix myself when I've gotten stuck because the game glitched. Also the console is great for testing mods. Those are really the only times I use the console.

I would consider cheating using the console to give myself anything I haven't earned (even if I did earn it in past playthroughs) even shouts, perks, spells etc. Also using the console to instantly kill things or unlock doors, things of that nature, are also cheating. I think it's cheating to download 'super weapon' mods.

That being said, the only person who cares if you're cheating is you. It's your gaming experience. If you think it's fun to cheat then cheat.

Tawneey

Doing anything with the console is cheating, or a form of it I guess. But hey, it's your playthrough, no one else's and if that makes you happy so be it, each to his own.

I wouldn't go that far. I've used the console to fix myself when I've gotten stuck because the game glitched. Also the console is great for testing mods. Those are really the only times I use the console.

I would consider cheating using the console to give myself anything I haven't earned (even if I did earn it in past playthroughs) even shouts, perks, spells etc. Also using the console to instantly kill things or unlock doors, things of that nature, are also cheating. I think it's cheating to download 'super weapon' mods.

That being said, the only person who cares if you're cheating is you. It's your gaming experience. If you think it's fun to cheat then cheat.
I didn't really mean to fix bugs, sorry if I didn't explain properly.

Tzipora

I would make my character shorter (she just isn't short enough as a Wood Elf) and marry Hadvar. Those are probably the only two because i don't like cheating. It takes away from the experience.

Dawn

Cheating cannot exist in a single player game that does not have a formal set of rules.

If a player establishes a rule set for themselves or agrees to a set of rules with others, and then violates those rules, then cheating has taken place.

I personally like to do at least one 'clean' play through where I use nothing but the base game, no DLCs, no extras packs, no mods.

Though with Skyrim I did get SkyUI and a few other bug fix mods before doing a complete play through.

Even after several clean plays, I tend not to use things like god modes or crazy OP item mods.

I do use mods and sometimes the console to adjust or balance subsequent plays based on my own desires and wishes.

jarif

use the commands when you really need to or want to have fun, but it depends n your roleplay, you don't want to do the college quest again then use commands.

I consider changing the difficulty during hard engagements cheating. Also getting free training from followers cheating, and exploits are all cheats to yourself. I like to boast with my friends who also play the game, we have rules so technically any of the above would be cheating.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk

KattSand

Premium Member
Well, if the use of console commands is cheating, then call me a cheater! :p Running out of arrows with nowhere to craft new ones? Player.additem? Hell yeah! Don't have quite enough of that sweet sweet money to buy that house that you desperately need for storing all your loot? Open up that console and just seconds later....money is in the bank! Yeah, that's right, collect that currency like the dirty cheater you know you are....:D

What I'm trying to say is that maybe console commanding stuff like gold and arrows and such is cheating, well you're only cheating yourself really, but I know I do those things all the time. I've done the totally legit play through several times on Xbox so I don't see the harm in skipping a few steps, like all that looting and selling. Instead I just give myself some extra gold using console commands, that's how I roll.

I've even created a .bat file so I can get all the items I need for building my own Hearthfire home, so I only need a single console command for adding all items to my inventory, no need for mining hundreds of iron ores here! Afterwards I can walk into my mansion and feel extra dirty knowing that I live in a house built out of illegitimately acquired materials :cool:

Dallas-Arbiter

Yup. All of it. And anything that involves the console.

Who cares?

So by using these following commands, then I'm cheating right?:

1. player.modav carryweight -270
2. player.modav health -50
3. player.modav stamina -50
4. player.modav magicka -75
5. player.setav speedmult 80

The next time you start up a new game, try these "Cheats". BTW, the speedmult command has to be typed in every time you load a save.

Black Orchid

Death Incarnate
I've even created a .bat file so I can get all the items I need for building my own Hearthfire home, so I only need a single console command for adding all items to my inventory, no need for mining hundreds of iron ores here! Afterwards I can walk into my mansion and feel extra dirty knowing that I live in a house built out of illegitimately acquired materials :cool:

Currently, if you play on pc, you can just download a mod with a completely furnished home for free. How dirty is that? :eek:

KattSand

Premium Member

Currently, if you play on pc, you can just download a mod with a completely furnished home for free. How dirty is that? :eek:

Yeah I know, it's the ultimate dirty experience when you download a mod like that :D Why get my hands dirty, well my characters hands, when I can get everything for free, my character is the dragonborn ffs, not a miner or a house builder, the only crafting I do is weapons and armor :p

Zyphur

Yup. All of it. And anything that involves the console.

Who cares?

So by using these following commands, then I'm cheating right?:

1. player.modav carryweight -270
2. player.modav health -50
3. player.modav stamina -50
4. player.modav magicka -75
5. player.setav speedmult 80

The next time you start up a new game, try these "Cheats". BTW, the speedmult command has to be typed in every time you load a save.

There's lots of definitions for cheating. One is simply to deliberately violate the "rules" of a game.

As I said, I don't care. Nobody is a worse person for using the console to cheat on a video game.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts