What did Bethesda do to the Werewolves?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Raijin

A Mage that loves a Templar
By the gods playing as a werewolf sucks even more. Granted they too have a perk tree, but so what. Nothing special about it. In fact it's rather dull if you ask me. I would hope that they would grant us more time to play as a werewolf... or perhaps give us an option to activate and deactivate beast form, like in vampire lord form. No you can only play for a certain amount of time... unless if you gobble up everything you see.

I can see why Kodlak whitemane desperately wanted a cure for his werewolf disease..... because it's certainly a curse being on in Skyrim. At least with vampire lord you have some options... and have magical spells.

I would rather be Molag bitch rather than Hircine. At least Molag treats his moral slaves with dignity and respect.

I love the werewolves in this game, I hated them in morrowind since you couldn't choose when to transform, as for the vampire lord I find it boring, holding the back button and throwing spells bores me, I would rather charge in and tear my foes to pieces.

Raijin

In werewolf form you're nothing but a mindless beast with hardly no control over your transformation. Look at Sinding for a prime example. Hes in jail because he murdered a little girl. Even he said that he can't control his transformation. You must wait a certain time in order for you to transform back into your human form. To me that's ridiculous. You can summon up to 4 weak wolves that gets killed easy. I suppose summoning a werewolf is another story, but still. At least with Vampire lord, well for me that is, gives you more freedom. I also find it more pleasurable RPing as a vampire lord since you still have the ability to function in a normal way. You can still talk, as demonstrated with Lord Harkon.

He he I have engaged in conversations as a werewolf but I don't think they were intentional. It was on quests with companions I would transform kill the boss and then person would talk to me :p But to each their own, I think the werewolves were done awesome in this game, and the vampire lord is kinda cool just not my style of play.

They gained a perk tree AND they're worse than before?
I... don't see the logic.

Personally, I enjoy both Vampire Lord and Besatform (I always get the Ring of Hircine for unlimited transformations a day as well), but I prefer werewolf. Their use may be situational, but if you know how to use them well, then they're quite fun. There are few things as empowering as ragdolling a giant and then out maneuvering its mammoth herd, striking them from behind again and again.

Neriad13

Premium Member
I love the werewolves in this game, I hated them in morrowind since you couldn't choose when to transform, as for the vampire lord I find it boring, holding the back button and throwing spells bores me, I would rather charge in and tear my foes to pieces.

Transformation in Morrowind is involuntary?! Man, I have got to give Bloodmoon a spin. That sounds awfully exciting from a role-playing perspective!

Transformation in Morrowind is involuntary?! Man, I have got to give Bloodmoon a spin. That sounds awfully exciting from a role-playing perspective!
Make sure you are nowhere near people when you involuntarily transform, if someone sees you transform the entire world will instantly hate you and attack you onsite regardless of what form you are in.

Hannah

What you fail to understand is a werewolf is a straight forward creature. They're an upright beast and depicted often as mindless. Vampires however have far more flexibility because they can usually maintain their mind and desires.

Keep a werewolf for special occasions, like hunting down a criminal or a contract for the dark brotherhood. The werewolf is like cake if you eat too much of cake you're going to get sick of it.

Neriad13

Premium Member
Make sure you are nowhere near people when you involuntarily transform, if someone sees you transform the entire world will instantly hate you and attack you onsite regardless of what form you are in.

Man, that's hardcore. :p It makes more sense than Skyrim too.

I would rather be Molag bitch rather than Hircine. At least Molag treats his moral slaves with dignity and respect.

Er...does he? Graphic and creepy vampire origin story incoming!

Opusculus Lamae Bal said:
Translation by University of Gwylim Press; 3E 105
As brighter grows light, darker becomes shadow. So it passed that the Daedra Molag Bal looked on Arkay and thought the Aedra prideful of his dominion o’er the death of man and mer, and it was sooth.
Bal, whose sphere is the wanton oppression and entrapment of mortal souls, sought to thwart Arkay, who knew that not man, nor mer, nor beastfolk of all Nirn could escape eventual death. The Aedra was doubtless of his sphere, and so Molag Bal set upon Nirn to best death.
Tamriel was still young, and filled with danger and wondrous magick when Bal walked in the aspect of a man and took a virgin, Lamae Beolfag, from the Nedic Peoples. Savage and loveless, Bal profaned her body, and her screams became the Shrieking Winds, which still haunt certain winding fjords of Skyrim. Shedding a lone droplet of blood on her brow, Bal left Nirn, having sown his wrath.
Violated and comatose, Lamae was found by nomads, and cared for. A fortnight hence, the nomad wyrd-woman enshrouded Lamae in pall for she had passed into death. In their way, the nomads built a bonfire to immolate the husk. That night, Lamae rose from her funeral pyre, and set upon the coven, still aflame. She ripped the throats of the women, ate the eyes of the children, and raped their men as cruelly as Bal had ravished her.
And so; Lamae, (who is known to us as blood-matron) imprecated her foul aspect upon the folk of Tamriel, and begat a brood of countless abominations, from which came the vampires, most cunning of the night-horrors. And so was the scourge of undeath wrought upon Tamriel, cruelly mocking Arkay’s rhythm of life and death through all the coming eras of the et'Ada, and for all his sadness, Arkay knew this could not be undone.

Morrowind gets really boring when every single NPC in the game instantly tries to kill you because 1 person saw you transform. And it doesn't matter who sees you, if a bandit sees it everyone in the world instantly knows.

Neriad13

Premium Member
Morrowind gets really boring when every single NPC in the game instantly tries to kill you because 1 person saw you transform. And it doesn't matter who sees you, if a bandit sees it everyone in the world instantly knows.

But does the aggression persist even after you've been cured of lycanthropy?

Yes, its quite broken really, every single guard, shopkeep, random townsperson become aggressive towards you permanently. Its not like crime where a gaurd just tries to arrest you, every person in the game tries to kill you.

Neriad13

Premium Member
Yes, its quite broken really, every single guard, shopkeep, random townsperson become aggressive towards you permanently. Its not like crime where a gaurd just tries to arrest you, every person in the game tries to kill you.

Thanks for the heads-up! I shall definitely play carefully and have plenty of backup saves.

He he I have engaged in conversations as a werewolf but I don't think they were intentional. It was on quests with companions I would transform kill the boss and then person would talk to me :p But to each their own, I think the werewolves were done awesome in this game, and the vampire lord is kinda cool just not my style of play.
Pretty sure werewolves can talk to other people while in beast form. Sinding talks to you while in beast form during his quest.

And I have to admit, neither are really my style of play. In fact I hate it when you character basically gives his eternal life away when he becomes a werewolf, a vampire, a servant of nocturnal, or a member of the Dark Brotherhood. My character wants Sovangarde just like Kodlak Whitemane, even though he is a High Elf. o_O

Neriad13

Premium Member

There was this one time that a fugitive came running up to me while I was in werewolf form, hastily handed me his stolen goods and booked for cover. His options must have been incredibly slim. >.<

Though, thinking about it, I suppose that there is no safer place for an item than with a werewolf. But there is also no guarantee of getting it back! :D

Did the man chasing after him come for you also?

I find it humorous when random encounters like the one you just explained turn into a simple bug like you said. But maybe he actually still intended on giving the good to you.

Neriad13

Premium Member
Did the man chasing after him come for you also?

I find it humorous when random encounters like the one you just explained turn into a simple bug like you said. But maybe he actually still intended on giving the good to you.

Yep. Asking a werewolf for directions is truly the best course of action. The idiot also got me a bounty when he saw me transforming a second later. Thinking back on it, I should've run when I had the chance, but I'd just mauled a tricky Dark Brotherhood target and was pretty hyped up from booking out of Markarth with a wave of guards after me.

But who can know the minds of bandits?

Xivia4

In werewolf form you're nothing but a mindless beast with hardly no control over your transformation. Look at Sinding for a prime example. Hes in jail because he murdered a little girl. Even he said that he can't control his transformation.
Did you even pay attention during the Ill Met by Moonlight quest? Sindig was cursed by a daedric prince. He stole Hircine's ring and in retaliation Hircine cursed it resulting in random transformations. Once the quest is over and you get the correct ring it will allow you to transform more than once a day and you can control these transformations. Also, none of the werewolves that the DB encounters transform involuntarily, such as Sabjorn, Aela, Farkas, etc...

Raijin

Did you even pay attention during the Ill Met by Moonlight quest? Sindig was cursed by a daedric prince. He stole Hircine's ring and in retaliation Hircine cursed it resulting in random transformations. Once the quest is over and you get the correct ring it will allow you to transform more than once a day and you can control these transformations. Also, none of the werewolves that the DB encounters transform involuntarily, such as Sabjorn, Aela, Farkas, etc...

Yup I've done that quest about 50 times now. The correct ring will only give you unlimited amount of transformations, not to deactivate it like what you can do if you were vampire lord. As far as remanding survival circle werewolves... Yeah I just appreciate how they attack me when I'm in werewolf form. I guess their scent of smell doesn't appear to work for them. As far as Arnbjorn goes... what a joke that he is. He's suppose to be this big bad werewolf yet he wasn't able to capture and successfully kill Cicero. He was suppose to be faster then this imperial assassin.

Bethesda still poops all over the werewolves.... the Penitus Oculatus sure showed that dark brotherhood member werewolf who's boss, eh?

And the vampires are treated so much better? heck they can't even beat up a few mindless battle trolls that the dawngaurd send. I can get all the way to harkon without fighting any other vampires because the dawngaurd members rape the plops out of the vampires even though their are more vampires and death hounds than dawngaurd members.
Also it makes sense that the werewolves can't change back to human instantly, when they tranform they basically go into a blood rage so they need to calm down before they can become human again. Although I do think you shouldn't be able to change into a werewolf unless you are already in combat.
Also the vampires got plops on by Bethesda as well, if you read one of the books in the game I think its Immortal Blood, the Volkihar are supposed to live under the ice and can reach through the ice without breaking it and pull their victims under.
But really I just hate the vampire lord cause circle strafing bores the hell out of me, I can do that in every first person shooter made.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts