What are your guys thoughts....

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

BadRaZoR

I may have missed a major thread on this topic but here it goes:

My biggest beef with Oblivion was that the game leveled as you did. You never felt your power really increase as you leveled. Yes, you got some new abilities or spells its true but you couldn't go back to some dungeon that was difficult and use your new abilites and wreak havoc. I did read that the higher elevations have tougher creatures and you may have to wait to go back to them to win. That is what i'm looking for! I wish that maybe a part of the world map was designated the newbie area and then another part the mid level area and the last part the higher level.

You guys might argue that this would then make the game sort of linear which we don't want because that is what is so awesome about Elder Scrolls. I think, with such a large world, that they could have pulled this off and kept the game open. I'd much rather get my ass kicked in an area then know that i can come back at higher level and get revenge. I like having spots that i know i can't explore yet but i can look forward to exploring in the future when i get stronger.

So, what do you guys think?

on edit: i know the dungeons "lock" at your level and you can go back at higher level and kick butt but that's not what i'mj talking about. I want stuff that i absolutely can't survive until i'm higher level, not just some "locked' dungeon that i go back to later that i should have beaten when i first entered :)

Mikk

Article Writer
I completely agree! The point of levelling is to become better so as to deal with situations better. If you can survive anywhere and beat everything around you at lower levels, because everything around is scaled to your level, there's no point in levelling at all.

Without an end result, the challenge factor isn't all that satisfying.

Tusck

I agree with everything that you are saying and I'm pretty sure that is exactly how Skyrim will work. You can pretty much explore the whole world at level 1, but you will run into mobs that will one shot you until higher levels. I really like that idea.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
I understand your frustration with level scaling but the main purpose of level scaling is to keep the world open to you at all times. It's easy to overlook level scaling as a bad game mechanic that ruins your experience with the world. But the thing is, Oblivion is a game where you can go in all direction. There is nothing linear about the game, really. You can finish quests in which ever order you want, and visit anywhere. It would be somewhat ridiculous if you can't go to one town because it is in a high leveled zone. I noticed this when I was playing complete oblivion overhaul mod called Nehrim. It was frustrating because the zones were leveled and I had to grind to level up in order to go past the wood without getting mauled by powerful trolls. But Oblivion did level scaling too much though. Everything literally leveled up with you that it was really silly. But I thought it was challenging because the monsters were getting a whole lot stronger and I never encountered anything weaker. However, at the same time, I couldn't gain a full grasp of my increasing strength, like you said. I think level scaling was a mixed bag in Oblivion, considering that it was a necessary mechanic but was implemented too poorly.

The good news is that Skyrim will have less level scaling than Oblivion did. Apparently, it works similarly like Fallout level scaling which is a good thing because I didn't notice level scaling in that game all that much.

Travis

I may have missed a major thread on this topic but here it goes:

My biggest beef with Oblivion was that the game leveled as you did. You never felt your power really increase as you leveled. Yes, you got some new abilities or spells its true but you couldn't go back to some dungeon that was difficult and use your new abilites and wreak havoc. I did read that the higher elevations have tougher creatures and you may have to wait to go back to them to win. That is what i'm looking for! I wish that maybe a part of the world map was designated the newbie area and then another part the mid level area and the last part the higher level.

You guys might argue that this would then make the game sort of linear which we don't want because that is what is so awesome about Elder Scrolls. I think, with such a large world, that they could have pulled this off and kept the game open. I'd much rather get my ass kicked in an area then know that i can come back at higher level and get revenge. I like having spots that i know i can't explore yet but i can look forward to exploring in the future when i get stronger.

So, what do you guys think?

on edit: i know the dungeons "lock" at your level and you can go back at higher level and kick butt but that's not what i'mj talking about. I want stuff that i absolutely can't survive until i'm higher level, not just some "locked' dungeon that i go back to later that i should have beaten when i first entered :)
I totally feel the opposite way. I think forcing players into newbie zones, like WoW or other MMO's is super lame. I like the idea that I am already supposed to be powerful, rather than feeling like a kid at the beginning. Also, from my xp with WoW, it still felt like everyone around you (AI wise) was the same as you... because you didn't dare go anywhere that wasn't your level. Because it was either boring, or you would die. Just my 2 cents.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts