• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Skyrim73

I have played (and maxed out) both the Werewolf and the Vampire lord. I really enjoyed playing both; however I do have my reasons to say the Werewolf is the dominant character.

I’ll start with the Vampire Lord. The Vampire Lord is an extremely versatile form. Your Drain Ball spell does really nice damage (as long as you don’t have Serana as a follower). However, all your other offensive abilities have some kind of weakness to them. Your Vampiric Grip is really efficient at helping eliminate a single target. The Grip (though fun to use) does very minimal damage on its own and is not magika cost efficient. You will not notice this inefficiency at night, but it makes a large impact on your magika use during the day. I only found it useful for getting separation, tossing an enemy on a cliff, and of course for kicks. Next, your Summon Gargoyle is a very interesting summon with great enemy detection and aggression. The gargoyle also can travel at higher speeds when lunging. With that said, the gargoyle is still a lackluster spell. It has weaker attack damage and is more on the fragile side. Even two gargoyles will be quick work for a group of guards. Similarly to Vampiric Grip, I mainly used it to gain separation and to buy some time. The last offensive ability, Corpse Curse is hard to criticize. It does exactly what you expect (paralyzes the opponent). Now this is a good crowd control spell. There are only two partially negative things I can say. When not aiming carefully, you can miss. Also, it drains your magika quickly during the day with multiple uses. In sum, the Vampire Lord’s more offensive abilities are all used to gain separation and time. They will not do much damage.

Moving on to the Vampire Lord’s defensive abilities, they also all have a similar purpose. These abilities are all used to reduce (by avoiding) mainly melee damage. First up is the Detect All Creatures ability. This does exactly what is expected; detects all and any moving life form. Although this does not seem as important later on, it really helps leveling up. It also has virtually no recharge time. Next, Mist Form is a very wise ability to play with. As many of you know, Mist Form turns the Vampire Lord into an invulnerable mist and allows the Vampire Lord to regenerate all stats. This ability can potentially save your character from certain death (it saved my Vampire Lord from the Spectral Assassins when trying to kill Cicero). The Achilles heel of this ability is the obvious; the Sun. Your Vampire lord will barely regenerate any of its stats in the day, only buying you time and possible separation. Likewise to all the rest, the basic Bats does what’s expected and nothing more. Time and separation, but has a quicker recovery than the other abilities. Lastly, and my favorite is Supernatural Reflexes. This useful ability is the only defensive perk that is also offensive. While Supernatural Reflexes still allows the player to take damage, the DPS of all enemies is much lower. Also, your DPS be it melee or spell will greatly increase. I personally used this ability more than any other.

Finally, there’s not much to say about the middle of the perk tree. All those traits are useful and boost your Vampire Lords potential. All these traits combined even make being in the sunlight survivable. On the up close and personal, the Vampire Lord’s melee attacks are semi-effective. You will mostly be a spell caster and should use melee as a last resort. The Vampire Lord’s melee isn’t bad, but going up against even a Werewolf with no perks is almost suicide.

To conclude this comment, the Vampire Lord is a powerful character to play as. You become a “jack of all trades.” The right arm of the perk tree can assist your offense and grant you separation and time. The left arm focuses mostly on reducing melee damage. The center skills really round-off the Vampire Lord and increase the abilities you already have. Your melee is decent, but should mostly be avoided. With that said, the Werewolf is still the dominant form. With all the Werewolf perks, the werewolf has insane melee damage (I can one hit kill mammoths and Dwarven Master Centurions with a sprint attack), new- found survivability (Animal Vigor, Gorging, and Savage Feeding), and equally smart and powerful allies with Totem of the Moon. The Werewolf and his gang deliver their damage very quickly with a combined DPS of godlike levels. Not that the Vampire Lord isn’t very powerful, but the glorified bat can't take on Hircine's wolf pack.

Ganathar

Before I write my thoughts on the subject, can somebody please tell me if vampiric grip affects werewolves and if the werewolf knockdown affects vampire lords?

Skyrim73

I used my werewolf against Harkon. The werewolf's knockdown more serverly (longer recovery time) staggers Harkon (similarly to a Dragon Priest). The same applies with the werewolf power attacks. The Vampire Lord's Vampiric Grip still works on werewolves. I have not proven this, but the werewolf is under the monster category (Skyrim Wiki) and many monsters that are even larger are effected (trolls and giants).

The_Madgod

LordLlamahat
I have played (and maxed out) both the Werewolf and the Vampire lord. I really enjoyed playing both; however I do have my reasons to say the Werewolf is the dominant character.

I’ll start with the Vampire Lord. The Vampire Lord is an extremely versatile form. Your Drain Ball spell does really nice damage (as long as you don’t have Serana as a follower). However, all your other offensive abilities have some kind of weakness to them. Your Vampiric Grip is really efficient at helping eliminate a single target. The Grip (though fun to use) does very minimal damage on its own and is not magika cost efficient. You will not notice this inefficiency at night, but it makes a large impact on your magika use during the day. I only found it useful for getting separation, tossing an enemy on a cliff, and of course for kicks. Next, your Summon Gargoyle is a very interesting summon with great enemy detection and aggression. The gargoyle also can travel at higher speeds when lunging. With that said, the gargoyle is still a lackluster spell. It has weaker attack damage and is more on the fragile side. Even two gargoyles will be quick work for a group of guards. Similarly to Vampiric Grip, I mainly used it to gain separation and to buy some time. The last offensive ability, Corpse Curse is hard to criticize. It does exactly what you expect (paralyzes the opponent). Now this is a good crowd control spell. There are only two partially negative things I can say. When not aiming carefully, you can miss. Also, it drains your magika quickly during the day with multiple uses. In sum, the Vampire Lord’s more offensive abilities are all used to gain separation and time. They will not do much damage.

Moving on to the Vampire Lord’s defensive abilities, they also all have a similar purpose. These abilities are all used to reduce (by avoiding) mainly melee damage. First up is the Detect All Creatures ability. This does exactly what is expected; detects all and any moving life form. Although this does not seem as important later on, it really helps leveling up. It also has virtually no recharge time. Next, Mist Form is a very wise ability to play with. As many of you know, Mist Form turns the Vampire Lord into an invulnerable mist and allows the Vampire Lord to regenerate all stats. This ability can potentially save your character from certain death (it saved my Vampire Lord from the Spectral Assassins when trying to kill Cicero). The Achilles heel of this ability is the obvious; the Sun. Your Vampire lord will barely regenerate any of its stats in the day, only buying you time and possible separation. Likewise to all the rest, the basic Bats does what’s expected and nothing more. Time and separation, but has a quicker recovery than the other abilities. Lastly, and my favorite is Supernatural Reflexes. This useful ability is the only defensive perk that is also offensive. While Supernatural Reflexes still allows the player to take damage, the DPS of all enemies is much lower. Also, your DPS be it melee or spell will greatly increase. I personally used this ability more than any other.

Finally, there’s not much to say about the middle of the perk tree. All those traits are useful and boost your Vampire Lords potential. All these traits combined even make being in the sunlight survivable. On the up close and personal, the Vampire Lord’s melee attacks are semi-effective. You will mostly be a spell caster and should use melee as a last resort. The Vampire Lord’s melee isn’t bad, but going up against even a Werewolf with no perks is almost suicide.

To conclude this comment, the Vampire Lord is a powerful character to play as. You become a “jack of all trades.” The right arm of the perk tree can assist your offense and grant you separation and time. The left arm focuses mostly on reducing melee damage. The center skills really round-off the Vampire Lord and increase the abilities you already have. Your melee is decent, but should mostly be avoided. With that said, the Werewolf is still the dominant form. With all the Werewolf perks, the werewolf has insane melee damage (I can one hit kill mammoths and Dwarven Master Centurions with a sprint attack), new- found survivability (Animal Vigor, Gorging, and Savage Feeding), and equally smart and powerful allies with Totem of the Moon. The Werewolf and his gang deliver their damage very quickly with a combined DPS of godlike levels. Not that the Vampire Lord isn’t very powerful, but the glorified bat can't take on Hircine's wolf pack.

We've already pointed all this out. If there were two people of the same level that would never turn back from their beast forms and the werewolf had the totem of brotherhood on the fields outdside of Whiterun and they had all perks the WW would win. That is whaty this was about at the end. I still think VLs are better to play as as they have more advantages outside of this very specific fight. Also corpse curse does not effect the werewolf ion question due to his perks.

Ganathar

I used my werewolf against Harkon. The werewolf's knockdown more serverly (longer recovery time) staggers Harkon (similarly to a Dragon Priest). The same applies with the werewolf power attacks. The Vampire Lord's Vampiric Grip still works on werewolves. I have not proven this, but the werewolf is under the monster category (Skyrim Wiki) and many monsters that are even larger are effected (trolls and giants).

Thanks for the info.

Now, based on what I know about the vampire lord and the werewolf I can say that who wins in a fight is situational and we have to take into account things like terrain, player level, perks taken etc.
For a fair fight we will assume that the terrain is an open field with no cliffs and no water, we will also assume that there is no interference by other NPCs which means that the werewolf cannot feed and that the vampire lord cannot reanimate undead and cannot kill NPCs with power bite for healing.

I will present 3 situations:

1.Both at max level without any upgrades to their forms.
We will assume that both the werewolf and the vampire lord are level 81 and that the werewolf has put 30 points in health for every 10 points of stamina while the vampire lord has put an equal amount of health and magicka. In Dawnguard the werewolf transformation gains +50 health and +100 stamina regardless of level and the vampire lord gains +250 health, +200 magicka and +100 stamina at level 46 where these stats stop increasing. The werewolf will have a total of 750 health and 400 stamina and the vampire lord will have 750 health , 700 magicka and 200 stamina. The VL will get severly weakened stats in daylight but for balance purposes this will be a night battle.

The werewolf will do 80 claw damage at max level and the VL will have 50 claw damage but will avoid using it. The werewolf will have 400 armor (-48% physical damage but only effective against claws) and the VL will have 300 armor (-36% physical damage). The werewolf will have 0% health regen and 25% stamina regen while the VL will have 10% health, stamina and magicka regen.

As far as abilities and attacks go the werewolf will have the fear howl which will be ineffective against the VL, a forward power attack that can stagger the VL, very fast sprint and a sprinting power attack that will stagger and do triple damage. The VL has the bats escape, drain life and 2 other abilities that will be useless in this fight (vampire sight and raise dead).

In this fight the werewolf would immediately rush to kill the VL while the VL tries to drain and keep his distance. I think that the werewolf wins in this case as the VL does not have enough abilities to escape the werewolf yet and so the werewolf will find an opportunity to tear him apart before he can do bats again.

2.Both at max level with werewolf/VL perks maxed out and with vampire artifacts/werewolf totems allowed.
In this case werewolves would definately choose totem of the brotherhood since terror and predator are useless aganst the VL. The perks that would affect this fight would be bestial strength, totem of the ice brothers, totem of the moon and animal vigor. This means that claw damage would become 160, health would be 850 and stamina would be 500. Totem of the prdator would summon two werewolves.

The perks that would affect this fight for the VL would be power of the grave, mist form, supernatural reflexes, unearthly will, poison talons (only if the VL is foolish enough to engage in melee), night cloak, vampiric grip and summon gargoyle. Corpse curse would not work on the max-leveled werewolf. The VL would have 800 health, 750 magicka and 250 stamina. claw damage would be 50 +20 that ignores armor.
The VL would surely choose the amulet of the gargoyle so that he can have a second gargoyle for a distracrion for the summoned werewolves. The VL would probably also choose the ring of erudite to increase survivability and thus would have 900 health and 70 +20 claw damage.

In those fight the VL will surely win as the gargoyles will distract the werewolf summons while the leader of the pack is kited with the use of bats, grip and mist form. The werewolf will have a very powerful claw attack but won't reach his target as the VL also has supernatural reflexes which make vampiric grip harder to dodge.

3.Both are max level and use every available perk and passive ability that affects their forms.
Ok, this is the final battle and no one holds anything back!!!
In addition to what he has already, the VL also gets benefits from some non-VL perks.
Necromage is a big one, because it increases the effects all of the spells targetting undead by 25% which includes self-target as he is undead and includes passive abilities and some perks. With necromage unarmed damage becomes 87.5 +25 poison and armor becomes 375 (-45% physical damage). Health will be 1125, magicka will be 937 and stamina will be 280.

Avoid death will help with survivability and will be affected by the regeneration and necromage perks and the passive ability sailor's repose. This means that when health falls under 10% the VL will regain a total of 250 * 1.60 * 1.25=500 health. There are more perks that affect the VL but are useless against werewolves so I will not mention them. The VL will also want to choose a standing stone and will most likely choose the lord stone which will give +50 armor and +25% magic resist. With the +50 armor which becomes +56 with necromage the VL will have 51.72% physical damage resistance.
With all of these benefits the VL becomes much more difficult to kill and can still kite well.

However, the werewolf is not to be underestimated. Avoid death + regeneration perk + sailor's repose will make the WW regenerate 400 health when he goes under 10%. The blessing of Mara gives +15% magic resistance which helps stop some of the VL's damage. From the alteration tree The magic resistance and atronach perks are highly useful and will give +30% magic resist and spell absorption respectively. Then the atronach stone can give an additional +50% spell absorption. This is all for a total of 45% magic resist and 80% spell absorption.

While the VL will gain a lot of survivability, the WW will not only gain his fair share of survivability but will deny healiing to the VL through absorbing the drain ball and will absorb most of the vampiric grips that get thrown at him. If anything hits the WW it will have -45% damage. In my opinion this gives the WW a clear win.

Skyrim73

I would mostly go by your second senario. I only say this because outside abilities leave many variables. I think you made a smart call when you said the gargoyles could distract the Werewolf allies. I do notice that sometimes the Werewolf allies do delay there attacks (especially when an opponent is knocked down) and occasionally do not attack to there fullest potenial. The only thing that can vary is will the Vampire Lord be able to defeat the lone Werewolf using Vampiric Grip. The Vampiric Grip ability is very inefficient with magika cost. This could possibly lead to the Vampie Lord not having enough magika to perform enough Drain Ball spells to defeat the Werewolf. Also, the Vampiric Grip does very minimal damage on it own. However, I do like and mainly agree with your post.

The_Madgod

LordLlamahat
Thanks for the info.

Now, based on what I know about the vampire lord and the werewolf I can say that who wins in a fight is situational and we have to take into account things like terrain, player level, perks taken etc.
For a fair fight we will assume that the terrain is an open field with no cliffs and no water, we will also assume that there is no interference by other NPCs which means that the werewolf cannot feed and that the vampire lord cannot reanimate undead and cannot kill NPCs with power bite for healing.

We will assume that both the werewolf and the vampire lord are level 81 and that the werewolf has put 30 points in health for every 10 points of stamina while the vampire lord has put an equal amount of health and magicka. In Dawnguard the werewolf transformation gains +50 health and +100 stamina regardless of level and the vampire lord gains +250 health, +200 magicka and +100 stamina at level 46 where these stats stop increasing. The werewolf will have a total of 750 health and 400 stamina and the vampire lord will have 750 health , 700 magicka and 200 stamina. The VL will get severly weakened stats in daylight but for balance purposes this will be a night battle.

The werewolf will do 80 claw damage at max level and the VL will have 50 claw damage but will avoid using it. The werewolf will have 400 armor (-48% physical damage but only effective against claws) and the VL will have 300 armor (-36% physical damage). The werewolf will have 0% health regen and 25% stamina regen while the VL will have 10% health, stamina and magicka regen.

As far as abilities and attacks go the werewolf will have the fear howl which will be ineffective against the VL, a forward power attack that can stagger the VL, very fast sprint and a sprinting power attack that will stagger and do triple damage. The VL has the bats escape, drain life and 2 other abilities that will be useless in this fight (vampire sight and raise dead).

In this fight the werewolf would immediately rush to kill the VL while the VL tries to drain and keep his distance. I think that the werewolf wins in this case as the VL does not have enough abilities to escape the werewolf yet and so the werewolf will find an opportunity to tear him apart before he can do bats again.

2.Both at max level with werewolf/VL perks maxed out and with vampire artifacts/werewolf totems allowed.
In this case werewolves would definately choose totem of the brotherhood since terror and predator are useless aganst the VL. The perks that would affect this fight would be bestial strength, totem of the ice brothers, totem of the moon and animal vigor. This means that claw damage would become 160, health would be 850 and stamina would be 500. Totem of the prdator would summon two werewolves.

The perks that would affect this fight for the VL would be power of the grave, mist form, supernatural reflexes, unearthly will, poison talons (only if the VL is foolish enough to engage in melee), night cloak, vampiric grip and summon gargoyle. Corpse curse would not work on the max-leveled werewolf. The VL would have 800 health, 750 magicka and 250 stamina. claw damage would be 50 +20 that ignores armor.
The VL would surely choose the amulet of the gargoyle so that he can have a second gargoyle for a distracrion for the summoned werewolves. The VL would probably also choose the ring of erudite to increase survivability and thus would have 900 health and 70 +20 claw damage.

In those fight the VL will surely win as the gargoyles will distract the werewolf summons while the leader of the pack is kited with the use of bats, grip and mist form. The werewolf will have a very powerful claw attack but won't reach his target as the VL also has supernatural reflexes which make vampiric grip harder to dodge.

3.Both are max level and use every available perk and passive ability that affects their forms.
In addition to what he has already, the VL also gets benefits from some non-VL perks.
Necromage is a big one, because it increases the effects all of the spells targetting undead by 25% which includes self-target as he is undead and includes passive abilities and some perks. With necromage unarmed damage becomes 87.5 +25 poison and armor becomes 375 (-45% physical damage). Health will be 1125, magicka will be 937 and stamina will be 280.

Avoid death will help with survivability and will be affected by the regeneration and necromage perks and the passive ability sailor's repose. This means that when health falls under 10% the VL will regain a total of 250 * 1.60 * 1.25=500 health. There are more perks that affect the VL but are useless against werewolves so I will not mention them. The VL will also want to choose a standing stone and will most likely choose the lord stone which will give +50 armor and +25% magic resist. With the +50 armor which becomes +56 with necromage the VL will have 51.72% physical damage resistance.
With all of these benefits the VL becomes much more difficult to kill and can still kite well.

However, the werewolf is not to be underestimated. Avoid death + regeneration perk + sailor's repose will make the WW regenerate 400 health when he goes under 10%. The blessing of Mara gives +15% magic resistance which helps stop some of the VL's damage. From the alteration tree The magic resistance and atronach perks are highly useful and will give +30% magic resist and spell absorption respectively. Then the atronach stone can give an additional +50% spell absorption. This is all for a total of 45% magic resist and 80% spell absorption.

While the VL will gain a lot of survivability, the WW will not only gain his fair share of survivability but will deny healiing to the VL through absorbing the drain ball and will absorb most of the vampiric grips that get thrown at him. If anything hits the WW it will have -45% damage. In my opinion this gives the WW a clear win.

The scenario is number 2 with no special amulewts or rings and the only outside bonus being the WW totem of brotherhood, the WW never times out and it is on the feilds to the northwest of Whiterun.

Skyrim73

It's a tough call with the Vampire Amulets and rings. Some would argue no Totems or Amulets. The Vampire Amulets can only be accessed through the Vampire questline, but the Vampire Lord ability can be accessed by either (I was Dawnguard and was a Vampire Lord after). However, the Werewolf actually spends perks in his tree for Totems . The Vampire does not. Also, the one werewolf questline has you get the Totems (it comes with it).

The_Madgod

LordLlamahat
It's a tough call with the Vampire Amulets and rings. Some would argue no Totems or Amulets. The Vampire Amulets can only be accessed through the Vampire questline, but the Vampire Lord ability can be accessed by either (I was Dawnguard and was a Vampire Lord after). However, the Werewolf actually spends perks in his tree for Totems . The Vampire does not. Also, the one werewolf questline has you get the Totems (it comes with it).

I was stating the already existing rules set forth by the people who started this conversation.

destro64

Thanks for the info.

wow man i love your post you really tought everything out and thinking it trough it almost exact as a real batle were to happen nice

Courtesyflush52

How does that not make sense. A werewolf has no business in the ocean and neither does a vampire lord.
How often do you find yourself in the middle of the ocean when playing skyrim? never. How often do you find yourself in a cave or town? Most of the time.
If we were in the ocean with a fully grown 800-pound Werewolf with 20 or 30 of his friends, you'd lose that battle. You'd lose it 9 times out of 10.

I choose werewolf, but thats just cause I love the look of them and the brute strength of them. Vampire lord looks goofy I think and I am more prone to use melee combat than magical combat but thats just me, I don't think one is necessarily better or worse than the other, just comes down to personal preference. As for who would win in a fight, well who knows, it depends on the werewolf and the vampire lord.

The_Madgod

LordLlamahat
I choose werewolf, but thats just cause I love the look of them and the brute strength of them. Vampire lord looks goofy I think and I am more prone to use melee combat than magical combat but thats just me, I don't think one is necessarily better or worse than the other, just comes down to personal preference. As for who would win in a fight, well who knows, it depends on the werewolf and the vampire lord.

This thread is dead and gone already. Also, it was a bad idea in the first place. This is the perfect habitat for a flame war.

Star Gazer

Finally, someone who's got their pl*ps together!

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts