• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Ravaril

Aldmeri Dominion
As this is the first of hopefully many articles and discussions, to be had here. Let us begin well in the beginning.

In the time before time, there was Anu. Anu was existence, he was all things. However he was still a being, and all beings sometimes give into self reflection. Anu asked himself the greatest question we have known throughout the ages. What am I?

In order to comprehend himself he created the distinction between his body and soul. He called this Anui-El. His soul, all the things he could be, endless possibilities. However even Anu knew that all things must have limits. So he divided himself once more. This new being would be called Sithis. Sithis invented structure and limitation. So we have Anu, the everything. Anui-El the light, endless possibilities. And Sithis, the dark, the limits of existence.

Sithis and "The Void"

Due to modern day misconceptions Sithis is thought to live in a real simply know to man as "The void". Where he awaits the souls of those murder at the hand of another. The Void is actually a realm called Aubris. At this point time had still not begun. Aubris was full of turmoil and confusion. A place filled with nothingness, yet everything.

Anui-El and the creation of time.

Anui-El could do nothing but think. He though for the sake of thought itself. With the limitless aspects of himself and no way to piece them together, or comprehend how things fit. All the possible aspects of Anui-El wish to have a chance to reflect on themselves. The needed schedule, order, a way to work with each other. Hence Anui-El created the very thing that is the foundation of life. Time. This aspect was called Auri-El.

Aubris and the et'Ada.

With the aspect of existence know as Auri-El (Time). The other Aspects of Anui-El were able to manifest themselves. Many of them taking on name the the average man may know. Mara (Love)
Stendarr (Strength and Mercy), and so on. As with everything Anui-El and Sithis. There must be a balance. The Aspect of Sithis then came to be. Lorkhan. Lorkhan was Sithis incarnate, only less. Just as Sithis was the set of limitations Anu had placed on Anui-El. Lorkhan was the limitations of all the et'Ada combined. Simply meaning Lorkhan could be everything the others were not. To put it in another was Auri-El was time. Therefore Lorkhan was the end of time. Mara, love. Lorkhan, Hate.

The creation of Mundus

Lorkhan the sly one, conversed with the other et'Ada. Weaving stories of a place where they could create further aspects of themselves. He called it Mundus. Lorkhan to be unbiased gave the throne of the new plane to the eldest Aspect, Auri-El. As they put their plan into action, Mundus was born. The et'Ada were no longer aspects on one conscience, yet individuals. They became the Gods.

The Sundering:

Lorkhan had not been out right and honest in his intentions. as each aspect of Auri-El existed so to did Lorkhan have his aspects. He brought death, despair, and chaos to Mundus. During these events the et'Ada gained mortality and began to die. Some of the more clever, tried to escape this realm, and return to Aubris. One of which was Magnus. Tearing the boarders of Mundus he created the sun. Others saw and attempted to follow suit, tearing their own holes, creating the stars. The stars or Magne Ge are the source of all magic in Mundus.

The creation of Nirn:

The gods that could not escape and knew that some how the must survive. Some choose to become the Ehlnofey. The Ehlnofey are the physical laws of nature. Also called the Earthbones. Each one contributed something to existence. With Magic gone from the realm. Nirn began to stabilize. Others sought another way. Auri-El for example married and procreated. The children had children. As time went on each generation grew a bit weaker than the last. Eventually Acharyai was born. The first Aldmeri Ancestor. Lorkhan displeased with the happiness the others had found took the weakest willed souls on Nirn and enslaved them. He called them Men.

If anyone has questions or suggestions for the next topic ask here or PM me. I hope you enjoyed.

Anouck

Queen of Procrastination
Hey there, welcome to the forums btw. :)
What exactly do you want to do with this thread? Do you want to write like posts about specific lore? Do members have to request topics and you tell them about it? Or do you want to debate all the ingame knowledge? In that case you might want to ask DrunkenMage over, he is one of the forum members with a lot of knowledge on lore. :)

I think this idea of a lore college could work really well, but you have to be more specific and describe what you want. I also think it is better if people can post their own little lore articles, and are also able to correct each other. That way you have more of an interaction and not a one way street where they only come to you.

If you want to learn more about lore, you can just go to http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Main_Page and search for whatever you're interested in. It is written by dedicated authors who update it frequently and it contains pretty much everything in the Skyrim universe. It is also more trustworthy than Skyrim Wikia (which often contains mistakes). The Imperial Library (http://www.imperial-library.info/) is also a good place for more information.

Ravaril

Aldmeri Dominion
Genocide and I were talking and he mentioned something about loving to read about the lore of TES. So he gave me the idea. Raw and unrefined as it is. I suppose however that if others wanted to submit their articles about specific events/topics that would be great. It would also give us a place to discuss the intrinsic details of lore, and could also become a resource to those new to the series. For example, each race for the most part has it's own creation myth, the one I wrote about is the Aldmeri myth. I would love to read someones take on the Khajit/Argonian myths.

Anouck

Queen of Procrastination
I like the idea. I myself like lore, but it is difficult to learn it. I am no native English speaker, and some of the articles online can be rather difficult. Also, if you want to find out more about Skyrim and you go to UESP, you often drown in lots of terms you don't understand at all. I realized that when I started to read more about the Civil War. 'Ah okay, so the Civil War started after...Wait, what is the Great War? Okay, let's look that up fir - huh... The Battle of the Red Ring? And what the hell is Red Mountain?' :p The amount of info can be pretty overwhelming. You just don't know where to start. For me, the best way to learn was by discussing it. Little topics, once at a time. Especially the interaction with other members showed me the many different angles of lore and how to interpret it.

XIIGenocide

The Scaled Arcanist
I think this should be a place where you can discuss lore, I myself often find contradictions in lore, it really depends on the source. Using this thread to teach others the lore and to elaborate on confusing and hard to understand lore would be a great idea.

Ravaril

Aldmeri Dominion
My knowledge of lore comes from YEARS of playing the series. My profile name is also, the name of my main character. He is getting on up there in years. He was already 458 years old when he was proclaimed the Nerevarine. We have learned a lot on our travels, he has a bad habit of hoarding books.

Ravaril

Aldmeri Dominion
As far as contradictions in the lore, of course there will be. Often times we have 7 or 8 different versions of the same events. The great thing about this series, is that the lore is open to personal interpretation. People tend to believe the lore that suits them best. Example the creation myth. The Altmer version above, twisted backwards is how the Hist came to be. In a way.

Anouck

Queen of Procrastination
The problem is that everyone can write something online. The fact that you read something on a website, does not make it true. I only know 2 websites that provide 100% accurate information. Like I already said: that is http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Main_Page and http://www.imperial-library.info/ .;) If you use something here, you know it is true. The articles are written by dedicated authors who keep upgrading and adjusting it. Places like SkyrimWikia often contradict themselves and provide false information.

I always use the same source. UESP contains all the ingame information about every single TES game ever created. If it is not on UESP, chances are big it is not on the internet at all. And since they are trustworthy, I am more than happy to use their articles. That way I can at least not contradict myself.

EDIT: Quickly removed all my grammar mistakes. lol

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts