• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Tjopper

Hi,

I finally ;) started playing Skyrim and I really enjoy it. At the moment I am a Level 11 Nord Warrior
that focuses on:

- One-hand weapons
- Using a shield
- Maybe use a bow
- Maybe use enchanting
and so on.

As you see, there is a lot I did not decided on as I do not have enough knowledge yet on character building. The official Skyrim game guide is on his way, but until then I hope someone can give me some advice on a warrior build.

I have used the Skyrim Perk calculator and created the following build:

Skyrim Perk Calculator - Plan the perks for your Skyrim character before spending them!

I did see that after level 50 the level number turns red so 50 is the level cap?

Please let me know what you think of the build and any advice is welcome.

Blackdoom59

BATMAN!
81 is the cap , not 50.Numbers after 50 show as red because it is when most of the things you use are maxed out and you will be required to use stuff you never used before.

Anyway here is how I would've spent perks as a warrior 1h&shield

If you want alchemy instead of restoration then
Skyrim Perk Calculator - Plan the perks for your Skyrim character before spending them!

Some advice
Put points to both stamina and health until you have 300 stamina , then full health.If you use restoration consider putting up to 5 points in magicka.

Don't spend perks in the sword/axe/mace unless you are really bored or really have problems with bosses.
Don't go on the left side of the tree in Heavy armor if you get the steed stone(I'd reccomand).Put all the points in the left side if you get the Lord's stone.

1h&shield is a great way of learning more about Skyrim's combat so I would suggest you block accordingly.You are going to need a bow at the early levels to take care of dragons.Don't spend perks in archery , because(i don't want to ruin the main storyline for you but) you will eventually have no more problems with dragons flying and not staying on ground.

Join the companions and do the first couple of quests for some skyforge steel weapon and (again , don't want to ruin the storyline but)
the lycantrophy.

If you ever need a boost collect some daedric artefacts , they help you a lot as a warrior.Some you should get are :The Mace of Molag Bal(3 enchants, insane damage) , Ring of Namira(Insane Stamina&HP regeneration) , Ebony Mail(AoE DoT , good armor)

Focus on the main storyline and (if you want) pick a side in the great war, it fetches you some nice loot.When you get to about level 30 put some points into Smithing,Enchanting,Alchemy but NOT too much cause you may get overpowered if you know the trick.

If you are spending more perks and time into offence , get another follower that can go meele with you and defend you(Lydia or any housecarl ,Vilkas).If you focus on defence then get a follower that can do as much(or more) damage as/then you such as a mage(marcurio) or an archer(Faendal,Aela).

As a warrior I would suggest you play on Adept or lower unless you are really good.You may change the difficulty higher as you proceed getting enchanted and upgraded gear.Get a wardog early to help you(they do some damage) or an Armored troll if you have Dawnguard.

As far as the shout is concerned ,go into any shout you want.Once again if you focus on defence, you may use an offencive shout such as Fire Breath , Elemental Furry,Marked for Death and so on.However if you focus on offence pick some defensive shout (Unrelenting Force , Disarm, Ice form).

SLOW TIME IS A LIFESAVER.
If you ever find yourself outnumbered 20 to one in some fort , keep in mind that you are a nord and your Battlecry can wreak havoc amongst your enemies.Also don't forget the Call Dragon and Storm Call shouts(they own).

I hope you find the information I gave you useful , and if not I know a guy who has more :

DanielMM

You are able to level your character up to 81. However, it is much much more difficult to level up when you get to level 50.

A little note: Do not invest in Heavy Armor perks. You can easily have 567 armor which is the hard cap in game. Any defense point added is worthless and you can get to this value without investing in Heavy Armor perks.

You can put those points in Block. Grab all the perks in that tree, Block Runner and Shield Charge makes you able to play bowling with your enemies (check here: Skyrim - Shield Charge - YouTube) and elemental protection becomes really really good since you can raise the bow and run towards your enemy reducing the magic damage you are taking. Disarm is also a really good perk to use against bosses.

Don't put any points in Sneaking. This tree is useless for a Warrior. Your heavy armor makes impossible to sneak and the point of your character is not to hide and assassinate (which requires time) but to kill like a mad.

As a warrior, I would try this build:

if you want a battlemage:

Perry M

Level 50 isn't the cap, and while it is very good for that level, it can also be done further. I've updated it and focused mainly on warrior and those roles.

I recommended respite in the healing tree just because it restores stamina as well. I've done enchanting further just so that it is more useful to you, and alchemy can make it stronger and poisons will also help you such as paralysis. I put more into one handed because I like the savage strike, and more damage to bows is good. I didn't put the paralysis on bows because you can just enchant it on, even 1 second is enough time to kill most enemies. Disarming an enemy with your shield can make them useless with their fists, or waste time picking up their weapon. Heavy armour has been updated to make sure you aren't weighed down by it. The Steed stone will however do that and increase carry weight by 100.

Now, I got rid of sneak because you're a warrior and lockpicking is to make sure they don't break. Which I like. However, if you don't want you can put points into something else. Such as enchanting for your elemental perks, and the soul sapping ones.

Blackdoom59

BATMAN!
DanielMM you can reach the armor cap without investing up to 7 perks in Heavy armor but investin a plops load of perks in enchanting , smithing and alchemy .Not to mention it really fluffs up your income.

Block stats with the maximum armor rating and it can boost it even further , up to the point where you take 0 damage if you block

DanielMM

Blackdoom59

This is what I consider a normal investment in crafting skills in a warrior type of class. With this build, there is no need to invest perks on Alchemy nor Heavy Armor because you can reach the armor cap with Dragonbone, Draedric.

You do not need any extra money to do this (unless you want to reach the cap earlier in the game and then you have to use the 50% smithing boost from alchemy potions that alchemists happen to sell quite often... this also makes Ebony armor capable of reaching the cap by my accounts).

Blackdoom59

BATMAN!
Blackdoom59

This is what I consider a normal investment in crafting skills in a warrior type of class. With this build, there is no need to invest perks on Alchemy nor Heavy Armor because you can reach the armor cap with Dragonbone, Draedric.

You do not need any extra money to do this (unless you want to reach the cap earlier in the game and then you have to use the 50% smithing boost from alchemy potions that alchemists happen to sell quite often... this also makes Ebony armor capable of reaching the cap by my accounts).
EXACTLY
You spend 7 in smithing , 8 in enchanting to reach the armor cap when you could've spend 7 in HA to reach the armor cap.Lower perk cost , lower money cost and time cost to power-level.

DanielMM

You will end up investing perks in Enchanting and Smithing anyway. How do you survive at higher levels without enchanted gear? How do you craft advanced armors without smithing perks?
Don't forget warriors do not rely so heavily in tactics as assassins/thives or mages do. They need good gear as soon as possible.
I can make an assassin or a mage that does not need armor at all, try to this with a warrior.

Blackdoom59

BATMAN!
Probably but at HIGHER levels.If you are level 11 like the guy said and you spend all your 4k of gold on power leveling smithing&enchanting , you get to level 19 at best with the skills of a lvl 11.Enemies will own you , you don't have money and perks.How is this good?

DanielMM

Simply, don't power level.
The key to upgrade crafting skills is to be patient and to know what to do.

For example, I steal every robe and every soul gem in college of winterhold (30/40 per round), go hunt souls, enchant the robes and sell them at any fence. Ultimately, I'm actually earning money leveling up my enchanting.
Note: While I'm hunting souls, I'm leveling up my combat skills. So, I make money, I upgrade enchanting and combat skills as well.

Same thing applies to Smithing and Alchemy (if you use them).

You just need to develop your own tactics to level up your crafting skill without power level them.

When you get to those higher levels, you start to think: Now, I have a ridiculous amount of defense that is worthless, I spent 7 perks in something that now is worthless. This is my point of view, I don't mind sacrificing a little more time doing things according to the plan and then be rewarded for doing so, and not to get to higher levels as fast as I can and then regret past decisions.

AS88

Staff member
Simply, don't power level.
The key to upgrade crafting skills is to be patient and to know what to do.

For example, I steal every robe and every soul gem in college of winterhold (30/40 per round), go hunt souls, enchant the robes and sell them at any fence. Ultimately, I'm actually earning money leveling up my enchanting.
Note: While I'm hunting souls, I'm leveling up my combat skills. So, I make money, I upgrade enchanting and combat skills as well.

Same thing applies to Smithing and Alchemy (if you use them).

You just need to develop your own tactics to level up your crafting skill without power level them.

When you get to those higher levels, you start to think: Now, I have a ridiculous amount of defense that is worthless, I spent 7 perks in something that now is worthless. This is my point of view, I don't mind sacrificing a little more time doing things according to the plan and then be rewarded for doing so, and not to get to higher levels as fast as I can and then regret past decisions.

But why would a warrior be stealing, visiting a mage's guild, and learning enchanting?

Your system is fine, but it's not very warrior-like, it's just the build to maximise your weapon and armour ratings, rather than playing like a warrior.

Tjopper

81 is the cap , not 50.Numbers after 50 show as red because it is when most of the things you use are maxed out and you will be required to use stuff you never used before.

Anyway here is how I would've spent perks as a warrior 1h&shield

If you want alchemy instead of restoration then

I hope you find the information I gave you useful , and if not I know a guy who has more :

Thanks for this helpful information and tips. Definitely going to use it as input for my build.

Tjopper

You are able to level your character up to 81. However, it is much much more difficult to level up when you get to level 50.

A little note: Do not invest in Heavy Armor perks. You can easily have 567 armor which is the hard cap in game. Any defense point added is worthless and you can get to this value without investing in Heavy Armor perks.

You can put those points in Block. Grab all the perks in that tree, Block Runner and Shield Charge makes you able to play bowling with your enemies (check here: Skyrim - Shield Charge - YouTube) and elemental protection becomes really really good since you can raise the bow and run towards your enemy reducing the magic damage you are taking. Disarm is also a really good perk to use against bosses.

Don't put any points in Sneaking. This tree is useless for a Warrior. Your heavy armor makes impossible to sneak and the point of your character is not to hide and assassinate (which requires time) but to kill like a mad.

As a warrior, I would try this build:

if you want a battlemage:

Thanks for the feedback. I will use it as input for creating my new build.

DanielMM

But why would a warrior be stealing, visiting a mage's guild, and learning enchanting?

Your system is fine, but it's not very warrior-like, it's just the build to maximise your weapon and armour ratings, rather than playing like a warrior.

I have to admit I played little time with a warrior because I always go to the battlemage path. It's actually a good point, and it depends how people thinks about what a warrior should be, they can be noblemen using restoration to help allies or barbarians that steal everything in the way and use two handed weapons to slash the oponnent. I tend to get to the magic side (all my characters tend to follow the magic side).

AS88

Staff member

AS88

Staff member
I have to admit I played little time with a warrior because I always go to the battlemage path. It's actually a good point, and it depends how people thinks about what a warrior should be, they can be noblemen using restoration to help allies or barbarians that steal everything in the way and use two handed weapons to slash the oponnent. I tend to get to the magic side (all my characters tend to follow the magic side).

Everyone plays this game differently, friend :)

I just prefer to have my warrior fighting and banging metal rather than doing magical experiments or mixing plants :p

Siven80

Thats my basic warrior build.
All the best one handed perks, everything else is useless (crits are based off base weapons damage and so doesnt include skills points and tempering). Paralyzing strike is terrible too.....how often do you really use a backwards power strike? :)
Only need 1 shield wall perk.
Right hand side of block is really only for 2 handed as shield bash damage is next to nothing.
All the heavy smithing perks (can easily drop advanced if you want, but i like the steel plate)
Archery for ranged, power and quick shot are nice if you want them, plenty of spare points. Right hand tree is useless.
Heavy armor only really need 3/5 to max most armors, and i love reflect blows.
Resto for quick healing.

Leaves plenty of points for anything else you want. I typically pick the middle enchating tree (left and right arent needed), but then enchanting for warriors isnt really needed either.

Perry M

Surely though, if he did enchanting, he would want to get the elemental enchanting perks. I've had them and they can be helpful. Especially Ice because of the stamina reduction to enemies. That's what I'd do, but it's personal preference I guess.

Blackdoom59

BATMAN!
IMHO ice is probably my favorite element in most of the game situations where I have to pick.However in skyrim ice damage(From both spells and enchants) is REALLY underpowered.

I love the fact that it burns stamina and that it slows the enemy.I love that you can paralyze with the destruction perk(it works for enchants as well).But more then 50% of the enemies you are going to find in skyrim are nords , starting with 50% resistance to frost.Draurg get an even higher bonus if i'm not mistaken.Vampires will start getting common at higher levels and guess what, they also have frost resist.

As you explore Skyrim , 74.3 of the creatures you're running into have ressisstance to frost:Frost Dragons,Ice Trolls,Ice wolves,Horkers,Polar Bears,Giants(not so sure about them),Ice wraiths and the list goes on.

It would be nice if you could take the frost enchant just for the debuff(stamina burn and slow) but the ressistance to frost midigates those as well.You would be better with burn/absorb stamina enchant in Skyrim.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts