• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

General Tso

It's getting to be a little ridiculous. The NPC's should run AWAY from the attacking vampires, not TOWARD them! I now have no Dawnstar blacksmith, not to mention the numerous other NPC'S that I've lost. Belathor, the lady at the Whiterun blacksmith, etc.
How are you guys dealing with this?

Adam Warlock

I loot their gold and valuables and bid them a fond farewell.
Especially if they left me an Inheritance !

Adam Warlock

btw at level 81 , i have had numerous NPC killed by either dragons or vampires
well over 3 dozen by now

Most of the Orc Strongholds are wiped out.
Blacksmiths in Riften , Dawnstar , Shor`s Stone , and Markarth are dead.
Alchemists in Morthal and Dawnstar dead.
Lots of other street people and vendors including 4 Beggars killed

In fact , the only settlements that haven`t lost a citizen yet are Riverwood and Rorikstead , mainly because I rarely go there

I especially love it when there`s a Vampire or Traveler attack when I fast-travel into Whiterun.
The 2 Alik`r warriors there at the gate are unkillable even by a conjured Gargoyle.
Even so , Anoriath was killed by a Traveler yesterday

Adam Warlock

The most serious of the many side-effects of all the killing may be the inabillity to gain Thanehood somewhere due to a lack of available favor quests in that Hold.

So help people out early and often while they`re still around

Jaeger

Fast travel to locations a little way from the cities? Will that help?

Also, reload. And get ready for when you fast travel again. Once I fast travel to whiterun, necros and duagr was waiting. I accidentally struck a guard and now it's a three way fight. This is a clusterf-bomb! Reload. Alright, get ready. Fast travel Dragonsreach (instead of the gate; should be only respawnable guards there). Oh nooo, that sweet talking lady was walking to the castle. And she died. And raised. And ashes. Damn. Ehh, reload. Fast travel white run stables. Damn wagon guy got killed. F-bomb. Do it again, same spot. Killed them all. Whew. It shouldn't happen for awhile; at least that's my experience.

When I beat Dawnguard I rarely had vampire attacks occur in cities. And to think of it, when it did happen, it was in an area with a ton of guards. Like the entrance of Solitude.

This isn't much advise, I would just advise that you save before you fast travel, or that you fast travel to the stables outside a city. After all, nobody cares when you lose the stable man. ;)

Gehenna

Dazed & Confused
The most serious of the many side-effects of all the killing may be the inabillity to gain Thanehood somewhere due to a lack of available favor quests in that Hold.

So help people out early and often while they`re still around
I'm skimming threads since I've not played Dawnguard and don't want to spoil it, but this post caught my eye because there was a town once where I could not do enough favor quests. A funny (and odd!) way to get around this problem is to smith some nice stuff and then drop it on the floor in front of people. Some will return your items. Some will ask to keep them. If you say sure, keep the item, it counts as a favor.

Last night I walked out of Dragon's Reach and when I got down by the Battered Mare, I saw a fight going on towards the gates. Once I got there, two Master Vampires, a Vampire Thrall, and two Death Hounds had killed about 8 NPCs including the beard guy from Warmaidens and a member of the Battleborn family (I forgot who, but he had a love letter on him), three guards and two or three people I didn't recognize.

I was pretty angry.

Adam Warlock

More deaths for my game as well.
Nazeem was turned to an ash pile by a Traveler my last time in Whiterun
can`t say that I`ll miss him

Alissa DeWitt

Beer Wench
I just started a new game and the attacks already started. They are killing off important people in my towns! It's annoying me too. I've had to reload a couple of times.

I just started a new game and the attacks already started. They are killing off important people in my towns! It's annoying me too. I've had to reload a couple of times.
That's what happened to me too.
I like that towns can be attacked, but why do NPCs need to stay dead? Towns aren't heavily populated enough to make permanent NPC death a good choice. Too bad they didn't develop the game to replace dead NPCs (non-essential ones of course) with all new NPCs who, in the case of dead merchants, would replace the dead folks.
It shouldn't be too hard to do. :\

Runarsg

There is a mod for this! On pc, anyway. It makes the npc run inside their houses so only the guards will stay behind and fight. As far as i know, no npc have been killed yet on my lvl 35 save, and attacks have been occuring since lvl 1.
The vampires shouldn't be able to kill npc, tho. They should have made it so they only attack guards.
By the way, anyone else who have attacked guards in the heat of battle and vinded up having to run from town and bitterly going back to pay the bounty a few days later? They should have thought about that too.

There is a mod for this! On pc, anyway. It makes the npc run inside their houses so only the guards will stay behind and fight. As far as i know, no npc have been killed yet on my lvl 35 save, and attacks have been occuring since lvl 1.
The vampires shouldn't be able to kill npc, tho. They should have made it so they only attack guards.
By the way, anyone else who have attacked guards in the heat of battle and vinded up having to run from town and bitterly going back to pay the bounty a few days later? They should have thought about that too.
well there is a mod, that part is right, but vampires prioritizing guards? no. no no no. they are cunning, they supposedly thin the herd the easiest way first before engaging in a big fight.
the only thing i don't like is sven trying to impress camilla by taking on legendary dragons and master volkihar vampires. that's just lame. the mod works nicely. all normal villagers will immediately go to their designated homes and if they dont have a home, the nearest inn. and if there's no inn, whatever they can go into.

sticky runes

I've played as a dawnguard with one character and as a vampire in another.

It seems that the townsfolk are SAFER if I'm a vampire.

When I'm a dawnguard, the vampires will attack me upon entering a town, and kill any guards or villagers who get in the way.

But as a vampire, I get attacked by dawnguards, but the town's guards and people will protect me (not quite sure why, either because I'm a thane, or the shopkeepers like me for doing their favors or the guards just don't like people starting fights in town, maybe all three) and the dawnguards will not harm innocent townspeople, just vamps, so I can just stand there and watch the NPCs take down the dawnguards.

Gotta love how Dawnguard shows just how dumb the AI really is.

NikolaTesla

Admiral Sunna Kyndai
It's getting to be a little ridiculous. The NPC's should run AWAY from the attacking vampires, not TOWARD them! I now have no Dawnstar blacksmith, not to mention the numerous other NPC'S that I've lost. Belathor, the lady at the Whiterun blacksmith, etc.
How are you guys dealing with this?
Better start killing those bastards faster.

GratuitousViolets

PS3 Addict
I'm more or less having the same issues. I was barely in Riverwood a few minutes into the first part of the game and a Vampire Master, his thrall and a couple of hellhounds had ripped the throat out of poor Sven. I felt quite sad because it didn't matter HOW many times I went back to the previous save, whenever I got to Riverwood, it just kept bloody happening. Sven used to be one of my favourite 'free' followers (don't know why, even a Skeever can snap him like a wet cigarette).

The only way I've found "around" this issue is to not go outside at night, if I'm travelling at night, I tend to stay on the outskirts until the daylight hours then I go into the towns and cities, that way the NPCs remain safe.

It's not practical though. I've lost a couple of quest NPCs this way, and it's just not on. As long as they don't murder Lucan in Riverwood, I'm not too bothered (his gold amount is something in the region of 10k compared to other NPCs. I definitely don't want to lose him!).

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
I ended up scrapping one of my last characters as just about everybody was dead. An example would be Whiterun where Belethor and his boyfriend, Adrianne and her husband, all four of the wandering battleborns, Nazeem, the guy with the family sword, the old lady that reads fortunes, Ysolda and even the lady that sells vegetables! (unfortunately not Hemskr though :sadface:) It ended up like this in every town or city I went to.

It was obviously the result of all my fast traveling from one location to another rather than walking or taking carriages.

Just too frustrating. There was nobody to sell anything to or do favors for so it took the fun out of everything for me.

It's like Bethesda is pressuring you to do Dawnguard at about level 10 when you are far from ready to (or at least I am). I like to at least finish the college or Companions quests first so that I have some skills ready, but noooooo....

Darn you Beth! You gets on my noyves sometimes!

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts