• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

orcsrock

I have only become a vampire lord so I am asking if being a Dawnguard is better than being a vampire lord. PLZ help ma?

Naginata

Huntress of the Shadows
To be honest, each group has its own benefits. I like the Dawnguard because many of the members can be made stewards of your home (if you have Hearthfire) and some can be followers. Also, there's at least three good merchants there, who carry good supplies and have great funds if you want to sell. You can get a dog follower from the Dawnguard too; an armored husky :D Also, you can purchase a armored combat troll for 500 gold, who will follow you and fight for you. The fort isn't all that impressive, but has plenty of places to rest. Plus, you're safe inside. Those are a few good things about the Dawnguard :)

Tyer032392

On top of what Naginata has posted.

The Dawnguard also has some special weapons like the Enhanced Crossbown, Dwemer Crossbow, and Enhanced Dwemer Crossbow. They also have different bolt types that are infused with Magica that fires either an explosive fire, ice, or electrical round giving you a wide range of variety with either the steel or Dwemer bolt. The crossbow is also the most powerful bow in the game, and an Enhanced Dwemer Crossbow has a superior based attack at 85 counting the added half damage of the archery perk tree and the smithing tree.

They also have special armor that negates vampire attacks as much as 25%.

They have specialized weapons like the:
-Dawnguard War Hammer that places a fire rune where you bash it at.
-The Dawnguard Shield gives you added +5 bash against vampire
-Their war axe is deadly to vampires with added base attack against vampires
-Standars Aura catches any and all undead within melee range on fire burning them for twenty points of fire damage a second

The Wanderer

Young Heritic
I love both factions and am always torn as to which one to join. But I think ultimately, siding with the Dawnguard has the most benefits (Everything stated earlier).

orca45

What we do in life, echoes in the eternity !
Naginata and Tyer said practically all .... but beside that, for me it does not make any sense to become a vamp. Our character, the dragonborn, was setup in the game to be a savior not a slayer, a protector not a people’s enemy. He must save Skyrim from Alduin, Ancano, Miraak and the vamps. When you download Dawnguard, every single guard will say to you : “they are reorganizing the Dawnguard. These vamps are getting a real menace. I am planning to join myself ...” something like that .... so what does that means ? Simply that vamps are a menace; they kill innocent people. When they enter cities, they are killed by whoever : guards, citizens, etc ... all of them enter in battle against them. Guards do not tell you : “vamps are getting stronger. I should become one of them, etc, etc “ Why ? Simply because vamps are enemies as Alduin, Miraak and Ancano.
Coming from this standpoint, for me, does not make any sense to become a vamp after I practically saved Skyrim from Alduin, Miraak and Ancano. Now that you are a “good guy”, a hero, a savior, is it right to turn to the dark side and become a menace ? I don’t think so !! Doing so just goes against your own nature and the reason that you exist.
After you kill the freaking Harkon, you can turn Serana into a real human and she does accept, that means that she also regret that once she was a vamp. And, if you become a werewolf thru the Companion quests, is just to protect yourself from getting vampirism and once you are done with Harkon, then you can cure from being a werewolf and become fully human again. You do not have to play in the “good side” but doing the contrary in my opinion, contradict the whole scenario and the reason for the dragonborn to exist. Just my 2 cents ...;)

Chadonraz

The only reason I'd ever become a VL would be to get the "Vampire Mastered" achievement. And I'll eventually end up having no other locked achievements... not looking forward to that.

Everything others have posted regarding the pros of siding with the Dawnguard I agree with. Also from what I've seen about the Volkihar clan in various Let's Plays, I can say that I like the Dawnguard people a lot more than the vampires. Not to mention vampires now have telltale glowing eyes that are like a neon sign above your head saying "I'm a heliophobic bloodsucker."

The VL form is also ugly as you-know-what.

I kind of like the Death Hounds, though. I'd definitely take CuSith as a follower, if only because he has an awesome name. :D
But then again, I really like the Dawnguard Huskies.

Gigapact

Lollygagging Milk Drinker (according to guards)
I have only become a vampire lord so I am asking if being a Dawnguard is better than being a vampire lord. PLZ help ma?

There are pros and cons to both. I have played both sides, and really I am still in the middle.

First, you have the opportunity to become VL on either side. However, if you have chosen the Dawnguard side, you have to cure yourself before you can continue the quest line (you can just have Serana change you back after), so that was a pain in the ass to me. On the vampire side, a lot of them are dicks, to be honest. But you do get the rings, which increases your VL powers pretty well, human cattle, blood potions, and you also get a quest to change your spouse into a vamp.

On the Dawnguard side, you do get a lot of cool weapons and things alike, but I make my own and enchant them and are far stronger, so there is no plus in that for me, plus I wasn't a fan of the crossbows for whatever reason. Dawnguard gets armored trolls and huskys, while Vamps get Death Hounds to follow you.

But no matter what side you choose, they play out pretty similar. At the end of Dawnguard you get to rebuild everything through quests.

Sorry, I'm trying not to give too much away. But really it comes down to personal preference. Either way, it plays out very similar and you can be a VL.

JClarke1953

When I did the VL thing last year, I neglected to see if Serana would hang out with me after killing Harkon, and taking his place as Lord of the Castle.

I might make another char just to see. But then...

FubarRevo114

I personally prefer the VL because of the drain life spell in your right hand while in blood magic form. Cause if you're fighting a large group of enemies then the blast radius of the blood drain spell will keep your health full plus harm all enemies near the one you hit(also allowing you to get the vampire mastered trophy/achievement faster). Dawnguard does has it bonuses because of the fact you aren't a vampire plus you are able to enhance the crossbow and with enchantments plus high smithing you can make a rather BA weapon. On the other side if you mention the dawnguard armor/weapons they aren't good because they are only at the level of steel perk. So even with there base enchantments are rather weak unless you are a low level player then they are good up until you receive higher level weapons and armor.

J

Jeremius

I was wondering this myself for my characters:

Nord Warrior who might be a werewolf-Thinking dawnguard

Breton mage/conjuration tank battlemage who is a runaway princess-Just cannot decide

Dark elf assassin who is trying to turn over a new leaf-Vampire might be a good idea

Imperial treasure hunter-whatever gets him the most treasure.

anyone have anything different to say/add? go ahead and post or even message me.

Neveraine

BRINGER OF DEATH

Breton mage/conjuration tank battlemage who is a runaway princess-Just cannot decide

Dark elf assassin who is trying to turn over a new leaf-Vampire might be a good idea

anyone have anything different to say/add? go ahead and post or even message me.

I would just say the breton mage might want to chose vampire if he is one for the darker side of the magical arts.

J

Jeremius

I would just say the breton mage might want to chose vampire if he is one for the darker side of the magical arts.

she, but still, good Idea. Plus, she hates necromancy. Atronachs are fine though. Unsure of the Dremora lord.

AJK

My character is going with the Dawnguard. Lydia was killed by Movarth very soon after becoming his housecarl/follower, and later Alvor, who he had developed a good merchant relationship with, was killed in a vampire attack along with his wife. So he's kind of had a little thing against vampires even before hearing about the Dawnguard.

tx12001

I will not tolerate failure...
I don't think a Nord warrior would want to be a werewolf look at the companions would most likely want to go to sovngarde

Nephor The Shadow Stalker

Strike swiftly and silently.
After being the "good" guy for so long the vampires look more and more appealing to me. Don't get me wrong I do enjoy being the hero but the Dawnguard an all of Skyrim are unappreciative bastards and I'd like to do something just for me.

J

Jeremius

I don't think a Nord warrior would want to be a werewolf look at the companions would most likely want to go to sovngarde

Nord warrior/barbarian respects strength, and Werewolves are strong.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Dawnguard, they get nice toys for hunting Vampires with. That and the Fort is easier to access, if you don't use fast travel. Good hunting around the area, nice landscape around Fort Dawnguard.

Though I do have to scout the countryside for Vampires, who poke around the area at times.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts