Use of the 'C Word' on forums.

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Anouck

Queen of Procrastination
To RP is to play as someone other then yourself, think of it like acting but instead of standing up in front of an audience you write it all out. Truth of the matter is, many of us like to RP as people from all colours of life. From the average Joe to the warlord (this is just an example, a warlord would likely be seen as over powered).

Lets look at the average Joe, he may not curse when he can help it, but he will likely indulge in cursing like a maniac if something bad happens (just like you and you can't deny it so don't even try). Sure, we could stop him from cursing, but that would, in effect, change the character himself and that's almost taboo to most RPers and for good reason. Some of us spend hours making one character, to have to change him for any reason is offensive (unless it's for a valid reason, like he was overpowered, he broke a rule, etc.).

Fact of life, 99.9% of us will/have cursed when something tragic happens, or if something extremely good has happened. Do you know why humans created the first curse words? Because they were simple words they could use to express profound feelings they felt they couldn't express any other way. Keep in mind this happened when languages were young and words few (yes, that far back). These are the kinds of words that most young heroes will use when they win or lose a tough battle that took hours or days to accomplish/fail at.

To say that someone is a jerk for cursing here-and-there, is ignorant, and your ignorance really shines for saying so. Some of the greatest minds of the human race have likely cursed. Not only that, you're not only insulting me for saying that some of my characters are jerks, but you're insulting at least half of the entire RP section here.

If you're complaining about people not being able to choose their words better than why aren't you? Oh the hypocrisy, it shines brighter than 24 karat gold in the sunlight.

If you don't care about a topic, don't bother replying to it please.

You don't think I'd want to reply when what you write is blatantly wrong :S I do choose my words carefully and I don't use profanity. If you're referring to the fluff in the post above, the word is censored, that's what this conversation is about. Even so I replaced it to prevent comments like the one you came with, I just forgot to remove the word.
I'm referring to you either insulting a few of my characters (and myself) on purpose or doing it by accident. One of my characters has saved quite a few lives but because he curses he's a jerk? I've been known to curse here and there (mainly to myself) and because I do I'm now a jerk?

That is what I meant when I said you don't choose your words carefully. I and my creations are not going to be insulted by the likes of you just because of their choice of words.

Just because you don't curse yourself (you have my respect, I find it very hard not to curse at times) doesn't mean everyone else who does is a jerk. Not everybody that doesn't share your ideals or lifestyle is doing the wrong thing.

Majir-Dar

Confused Khajiit
You don't think I'd want to reply when what you write is blatantly wrong :S I do choose my words carefully and I don't use profanity. If you're referring to the fluff in the post above, the word is censored, that's what this conversation is about. Even so I replaced it to prevent comments like the one you came with, I just forgot to remove the word.
I'm referring to you either insulting a few of my characters (and myself) on purpose or doing it by accident. One of my characters has saved quite a few lives but because he curses he's a jerk? I've been known to curse here and there (mainly to myself) and because I do I'm now a jerk?

That is what I meant when I said you don't choose your words carefully. I and my creations are not going to be insulted by the likes of you just because of their choice of words.

Just because you don't curse yourself (you have my respect, I find it very hard not to curse at times) doesn't mean everyone else who does is a jerk. Not everybody that doesn't share your ideals or lifestyle is doing the wrong thing.
Is that not what I said?

Majir-Dar

Confused Khajiit

Is that not what I said?
Just in too many words?

AtotehZ

To RP is to play as someone other then yourself, think of it like acting but instead of standing up in front of an audience you write it all out. Truth of the matter is, many of us like to RP as people from all colours of life. From the average Joe to the warlord (this is just an example, a warlord would likely be seen as over powered).

Lets look at the average Joe, he may not curse when he can help it, but he will likely indulge in cursing like a maniac if something bad happens (just like you and you can't deny it so don't even try). Sure, we could stop him from cursing, but that would, in effect, change the character himself and that's almost taboo to most RPers and for good reason. Some of us spend hours making one character, to have to change him for any reason is offensive (unless it's for a valid reason, like he was overpowered, he broke a rule, etc.).

Fact of life, 99.9% of us will/have cursed when something tragic happens, or if something extremely good has happened. Do you know why humans created the first curse words? Because they were simple words they could use to express profound feelings they felt they couldn't express any other way. Keep in mind this happened when languages were young and words few (yes, that far back). These are the kinds of words that most young heroes will use when they win or lose a tough battle that took hours or days to accomplish/fail at.

To say that someone is a jerk for cursing here-and-there, is ignorant, and your ignorance really shines for saying so. Some of the greatest minds of the human race have likely cursed. Not only that, you're not only insulting me for saying that some of my characters are jerks, but you're insulting at least half of the entire RP section here.

If you're complaining about people not being able to choose their words better than why aren't you? Oh the hypocrisy, it shines brighter than 24 karat gold in the sunlight.

If you don't care about a topic, don't bother replying to it please.

I didn't mean to insult your characters. I didn't even mean to insult you, but I guess I need to revise that.

Drumhilda

I was reading through some of the topics when I came across this one. I don't mind adults using adult language, however, using the c-word is rude and unacceptable in any situation. In my line of business, using words like that stem from a lack of vocabulary and/or pragmatics! Not to mention, this person is getting more attention than he deserves. A little more maturity on his part and there would be no need for an explanation as to "why" that word is inappropriate all the time! I'm all for free speech/no censorship when an intelligent and respectful person wants to express themselves, but not for those who abuse that right. I do see the need for fluff words/censorship, if that is what goes on here. I am new, so this is just one small opinion. I agree it is a "filth" word, which to me is vulgar and goes beyond the boundaries of "profanity!"

Drumhilda

words are just words, they only have power and affect if you let them.

I disagree, in RL I'm a Speech-Language Pathologist and words have meaning that is why you are taught vocabulary. I do not use that word to teach anything, nor is it meaningful to anyone's repertoire. I can understand passive personalities not having issues with a "word" because it can't physically hurt you, however, it is a derogatory term and is not used in any meaningful conversation on a "Skyrim Forums" board. Or did they have ***** in their game, I must have missed that part?!

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fuzzy kitten
usually obscene : the female genital organs; also : sexual intercourse with a woman
usually disparaging & obscene : woman 1a

berzum

Why is the alto wine always gone?
it's all based on society, i mean why not make the word "vagina" a taboo word, again they only have influence if you let them, now i will agree the "C" word most likely has no place here on the forums but the same can be said for other words as well, and those aren't censored.
and atleast when i disagree with someone i give a reason, you just seem to do it out of spite, rather childish, but then again someone who get offended by a word that has no power most likely is a child.

Drumhilda

it's all based on society, i mean why not make the word "vagina" a taboo word, again they only have influence if you let them, now i will agree the "C" word most likely has no place here on the forums but the same can be said for other words as well, and those aren't censored.
and atleast when i disagree with someone i give a reason, you just seem to do it out of spite, rather childish, but then again someone who get offended by a word that has no power most likely is a child.

Let's go with the "reasons" I already gave so I can't be "childish" as you have ignorantly stated:
1. REASON #1: DEROGATORY: showing a critical or disrespectful attitude re: I gave a link to the dictionary for the term "fuzzy kitten." (derogatory has a negative connotation does it not?)
2. REASON #2: " it is a derogatory term and is not used in any meaningful conversation on a "Skyrim Forums" board. Or did they have ***** in their game, I must have missed that part?!"
3. REASON #3: I agree it is a "filth" word, which to me is vulgar and goes beyond the boundaries of "profanity!"
4. REASON #4: A little more maturity on his part and there would be no need for an explanation as to "why" that word is inappropriate all the time!
5. I am not the one who decides what is censored, it is my opinion on a topic I am entitled to reply to on this forum. So, I used my right to free speech and did so respectfully!
6. Where in any of my postings did you get that I did not give a reason or that I AM CHILDISH? (please note evidence above)
7. My reply was about a particular derogatory term being used, it is more offensive to me as a woman/educator/mature adult to read than if someone used, let's say the word "plops." I can get all my meanings across without being vulgar. Thank you.
It is not based on society, it is based on attitude, pragmatics and choice. If he can use the word "fuzzy kitten" then he could of chosen another word just as easily. He obviously knows how to use a computer and therefore; he can use a thesaurus or dictionary on line if he did not have more advanced vocabulary and needed another term.
So, let us redirect ourselves to your inaccurate reply.....now who is childish and who did not give/state any reasons? You need attention too I see! Being mature and being spiteful are two different things...shall we research those terms as well, and continue this? I have no reason to be spiteful (showing or caused by malice-evil intentions), I was stating an opinion and you apparently didn't like it. Not liking a word/stating an opinion and showing evil intentions are not the same! You should move on....thank you.

words are just words, they only have power and affect if you let them.

I disagree, in RL I'm a Speech-Language Pathologist and words have meaning that is why you are taught vocabulary. I do not use that word to teach anything, nor is it meaningful to anyone's repertoire. I can understand passive personalities not having issues with a "word" because it can't physically hurt you, however, it is a derogatory term and is not used in any meaningful conversation on a "Skyrim Forums" board. Or did they have ***** in their game, I must have missed that part?!

usually obscene : the female genital organs; also : sexual intercourse with a woman
usually disparaging & obscene : woman 1a
i'll kindly disagree on that, any and every word can be used for good or evil.

Drumhilda

I do not agree with you. I know for an absolute fact educators do not teach the "c-word." It is not meaningful or "good." It's a derogatory term. You are commenting on a post where I originally disagreed about the use of the word fuzzy kitten on the Skyrim forum. Some words such as "fuzzy kitten" are vulgar and obscene. As you stated "words can be used for good or evil" No where in any definition for "fuzzy kitten" was there a good reference. That is why the originator of this discussion used the "shock" word! Profanity is defined as an offensive word/language. (I didn't say all profanity should be censored, I said that one particular term should not be used) Obscene: disgusting to the senses, abhorrent to morality or virtue, containing or being language regarded as taboo in polite usage, repulsive by reason of crass disregard of moral or ethical principles, so excessive as to be offensive.
Looking up the word "fuzzy kitten" from a reliable and respectful source as the Merriam-Webster dictionary defines the term as:
1. usually obscene: the female genital organs: also: sexual intercourse with a woman
2. Usually disparaging & obscene: woman
Simply put, "fuzzy kitten" is not wielded for the good of women, vocabulary, education, respect or in any way related to Skyrim. It is defined as obscene and I do not remember anything obscene put in Skyrim relating to a "fuzzy kitten." As I said already, it is my opinion which I am entitled to and shared respectfully. You're entitled to yours, and I will no longer waste time defending one that will not change. Please note I'm sure there are all walks of life are on here, so with that in mind we can all at least be a tad respectful to others. I can communicate without being vulgar and still get my opinion or personality across to others. I think we can all "curse" on without that particular term. That is all. ;)

Drumhilda

:D I see you get a rant rating from the boys for proving and quoting evidence their accusations are lies! I hoped for fun and maturity..
Don't dish it out if you can't take it boys! :p
I am receiving back lash for sharing my opinion about the offensiveness and use of the word fuzzy kitten, how is that off topic?

berzum

Why is the alto wine always gone?
:D I see you get a rant rating from the boys for proving and quoting evidence their accusations are lies! I hoped for fun and maturity..
please stay on topic, least here at this forum we believe in staying on topic and not feeding trolls.

Drumhilda

please stay on topic, least here at this forum we believe in staying on topic and not feeding trolls.

You called me childish and spiteful, proven wrong you post rant ratings instead of apologies, which would of been mature. Now who is childish and spiteful? It was on topic. I said I received rant ratings because I had to provide proof against your accusations. Try again poster boy! Really, name calling now? Trolls...grow up and stay on topic!

Crooksin

Glue Sniffer
I was reading through some of the topics when I came across this one. I don't mind adults using adult language, however, using the c-word is rude and unacceptable in any situation. In my line of business, using words like that stem from a lack of vocabulary and/or pragmatics!

While may commonly be true still a gross generalization. I swear a lot but I can write up a 700 page English essay about the ills of society no problem. In the same vein as using "big" words to describe something may come off as sounding pompous or arrogant, its just on the other end of the spectrum. What I'm wondering is why "fuzzy kitten" is what urks you more than any other swear word. You're okay with all the swear words, but for some reason this word crosses the line.

Not to mention, this person is getting more attention than he deserves. A little more maturity on his part and there would be no need for an explanation as to "why" that word is inappropriate all the time!

Firstly, as its stated, it really is a society thing. In Britain/Australia fuzzy kitten is word like us North Americans would use the word "man" or "bro". They don't look at it as we do. Further more, the topic isn't about the general use of the word "fuzzy kitten" but the fuzzy kittens use of it. Obviously if someone was throwing it around to insult they would be banned promptly, but in passing? Why not, not everything has to be North American values. There is a large number of European/Australian here.

I'm all for free speech/no censorship when an intelligent and respectful person wants to express themselves, but not for those who abuse that right. I do see the need for fluff words/censorship, if that is what goes on here. I am new, so this is just one small opinion. I agree it is a "filth" word, which to me is vulgar and goes beyond the boundaries of "profanity!"

This is completely illogical. "I'm all for free speech but if you say a certain word you don't deserve it". Free speech is a fickle thing, its either all or nothing. You either censor or you don't. The mods have met half way and sugarcoated it with a comedic replacement. What do you think the punishment should be? Insta-ban for any use of the word? I'm of the opinion that it should be censored only to encourage conversation, not because I don't like it. However, if the mods decide otherwise I would be totally fine with it.

I know the mod who decided to censor the word with fuzzy kittens and I can guarantee you they did not go to urban dictionary to find a sexual phrase because that would be funny. You can type in anything in that site and something sexual will pop up. You're just being oh so sensitive.

I'd like to point out is that it truly is about what words you allow yourself to be affected by. I think being an adult should teach you to ignore somethings that you don't like ;) As you can see though, this forum generally doesn't have a problem with swear words left and right.

Drumhilda

I was reading through some of the topics when I came across this one. I don't mind adults using adult language, however, using the c-word is rude and unacceptable in any situation. In my line of business, using words like that stem from a lack of vocabulary and/or pragmatics!

While may commonly be true still a gross generalization. I swear a lot but I can write up a 700 page English essay about the ills of society no problem. In the same vein as using "big" words to describe something may come off as sounding pompous or arrogant, its just on the other end of the spectrum. What I'm wondering is why "fuzzy kitten" is what urks you more than any other swear word. You're okay with all the swear words, but for some reason this word crosses the line.

Not to mention, this person is getting more attention than he deserves. A little more maturity on his part and there would be no need for an explanation as to "why" that word is inappropriate all the time!

Firstly, as its stated, it really is a society thing. In Britain/Australia fuzzy kitten is word like us North Americans would use the word "man" or "bro". They don't look at it as we do. Further more, the topic isn't about the general use of the word "fuzzy kitten" but the fuzzy kittens use of it. Obviously if someone was throwing it around to insult they would be banned promptly, but in passing? Why not, not everything has to be North American values. There is a large number of European/Australian here.

I'm all for free speech/no censorship when an intelligent and respectful person wants to express themselves, but not for those who abuse that right. I do see the need for fluff words/censorship, if that is what goes on here. I am new, so this is just one small opinion. I agree it is a "filth" word, which to me is vulgar and goes beyond the boundaries of "profanity!"

This is completely illogical. "I'm all for free speech but if you say a certain word you don't deserve it". Free speech is a fickle thing, its either all or nothing. You either censor or you don't. The mods have met half way and sugarcoated it with a comedic replacement. What do you think the punishment should be? Insta-ban for any use of the word? I'm of the opinion that it should be censored only to encourage conversation, not because I don't like it. However, if the mods decide otherwise I would be totally fine with it.

I know the mod who decided to censor the word with fuzzy kittens and I can guarantee you they did not go to urban dictionary to find a sexual phrase because that would be funny. You can type in anything in that site and something sexual will pop up. You're just being oh so sensitive.

I'd like to point out is that it truly is about what words you allow yourself to be affected by. I think being an adult should teach you to ignore somethings that you don't like ;) As you can see though, this forum generally doesn't have a problem with swear words left and right.

Avoiding another name-calling debate here, I will just say that the word is offensive. I can overlook a lot of things but, it was just an opinion stated. My first actually and I do not like the c-word. I never claimed I had virgin ears or eyes. Although, it is a word being used for shock value and it wields a obscene connotation. I did not use an urban dictionary(I gave the link on my reply) Not everyone is from Britain/Australia/America and it does offend some. I am not the potty mouth police, it was a friggin' opinion which a couple of boys jumped on. I am an adult and believe me it will take much more than this to cause me to be "oh so sensitive." My bigger issue was being insulted and accused of lies. When, I copy and pasted my words as proof, the rant ratings began. The boys didn't like debating where they were proven wrong. I don't let others accuse me of things I do not do so they will look all cool on here. That should be a great discussion/debate on here btw. It's only intelligent if someone accuses you of something to refute it with factual evidence. That is what I did and will not apologize for doing so. I could care less what the mods entail, that is their art/work and they can do what they want. I do not "have" to use any particular mods, so to each their own. I liked the replacements because it was funny, the rest built itself from there. Just because I am an educated woman who doesn't like the word fuzzy kitten or immature children name calling or falsely accusing me of things on a public site doesn't mean I am wrong or not here to have fun! It's not a crime to be smart, educated and respectful. :) Good for you and your essay, I bet if it were filled with the word "fuzzy kitten" you wouldn't be passed in my class, nor any other educators!

Crooksin

Glue Sniffer
Avoiding another name-calling debate here, I will just say that the word is offensive. I can overlook a lot of things but, it was just an opinion stated. My first actually and I do not like the c-word. I never claimed I had virgin ears or eyes. Although, it is a word being used for shock value and it wields a obscene connotation. I did not use an urban dictionary(I gave the link on my reply) Not everyone is from Britain/Australia/America and it does offend some.

I didn't call you a name.

Well the link you gave actually comes up with nothing so I googled it myself and assumed you're going by the innuendo of the term "fuzzy kitten" so we could be confused. If its used for insult, then yeah I think it deserves a warning/ban but in passing I think its fine.

I am not the potty mouth police, it was a friggin' opinion which a couple of boys jumped on. I am an adult and believe me it will take much more than this to cause me to be "oh so sensitive." My bigger issue was being insulted and accused of lies. When, I copy and pasted my words as proof, the rant ratings began. The boys didn't like debating where they were proven wrong. I don't let others accuse me of things I do not do so they will look all cool on here.

I did nothing of the sort I also didn't give you a negative rating. I don't ever give those out for someone who disagrees or has a differing opinion, I only save those for the trolls and spammers. Proven wrong, though? I don't know if you could prove someone wrong merely by opinions.

That should be a great discussion/debate on here btw. It's only intelligent if someone accuses you of something to refute it with factual evidence. That is what I did and will not apologize for doing so. I could care less what the mods entail, that is their art/work and they can do what they want. I do not "have" to use any particular mods, so to each their own. I liked the replacements because it was funny, the rest built itself from there. Just because I am an educated woman who doesn't like the word fuzzy kitten or immature children name calling or falsely accusing me of things on a public site doesn't mean I am wrong or not here to have fun! It's not a crime to be smart, educated and respectful. :) Good for you and your essay, I bet if it were filled with the word "fuzzy kitten" you wouldn't be passed in my class, nor any other educators!

It certainly isn't a crime, I don't know where you get the notion that I think it is. The point of my essay thing was to stress that it can go both ways with words. I know what you're getting at if this was a formal place, and I would agree in that sense but it very much is informal and the same rules from English class don't apply.

I could be passed if I did an essay about this very topic discussion ;)

Drumhilda

I agree you could be passed, but only if you used the replacement words in context to the topic discussion. We are suppose to recognize an effort...lmaoo_O
I didn't accuse you of anything. I said the two guys that replied to my original post were going through my replies using the ranting ratings. Not you. If it appeared directed at you, I'm sorry it was not meant to. I recognized in one of my replies that there are a lot of people from many walks of life on here. I never claimed to be the "All powerful Oz/Talos!" It was my opinion and it just went too far with them ending with their insinuation of me to a Troll.
Guess they couldn't refute the facts and that's their way of being mad....I've had better pouts from students! It's fine, thanks for the discussion!:p
I am considering giving them over to Sithis though! haha

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts