Use of the 'C Word' on forums.

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

sticky runes

I've noticed that in posts where I've used the "C" word, it has been censored to "Fluffy Kittens".

Now, I understand that it's an offensive word, and that the admins might want us to refrain from using it casually on the boards, but couldn't it be censored to something other than Fluffy Kittens?
I mean, if I call somebody the c word, then I'm describing somebody I don't like.

But I'm very fond of kittens. I'm a big cat lover - cats are one of my favourite creatures on earth, and I respect them more than most humans. So if I'm talking about somebody who pisses me off, the last thing I want to call him is a fluffy kitten. That becomes a compliment, which totally misleads the people reading my comment. "I hate that guy. He gets on my nerves, I think he's a complete fluffy kitten." What??

Other people might also take it as a reference to "pussy", so that's not exactly tactful either.

So, here's my suggestion: Let us use the word itself. Most people on this forum are reasonable, and I rarely have a reason to insult and swear directly at any other forum users. I only really use swear words to describe fictional characters or celebrities I don't like, or people who generally upset me in life outside of the game and forums (as we can see in the lobby, this is a good place to get negative sh!t off your chest)

OR, censor the c-word to something else, which is not cute and fluffy, yet also not particularly nice. Runt, perhaps, or Bint. Or just c***. What do you guys think?

To be clear, my complaint isn't necessarily against censoring of profanities in general, just the choice of words that they get censored to.

Zahn

Matron of Twilight
I disagree with the idea of NOT censoring that word. I prefer a censored version personally. I dont have a problem with "fluffy kittens" despite being a cat lover myself. I would not care if they changed it either though.

AS88

Staff member
I think the forum should use a 'swear box' mechanic. So, if you swear, depending on the word a certain amount of money instantly exits your PayPal account. All proceeds go to the running of the site, and free stuff. :p

Captain Nagisus

Jake the Dog!
I think the more you use the swear, the more embarrassing the censor should become. For example, if you had only used it five times, it'd be, "You utter c-word!" But if you've said it 50 times, it's "You utter sexy beast!"

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
The point was to put something patently ridiculous as the replacement for the 'c-word'. You should not be saying it on a public forum like this. If you're that angry at someone, you'll have to find more constructive ways of saying it than a 4 letter cuss word (and still avoid making it a personal attack).

There are a few words that can be used as swear words in context but can also be actual normal words otherwise. Those I have made sure are left out of the censor.

For example, "The cock crowed at sunrise when he saw beach balls fall from the sky."

I am not a fan of censorship and I have tried my best to ensure that people are free to speak. However, there are several words that are universally construed as filth. Those are the ones that are in the censor. I don't think it's too much to ask people to have the smallest sense of decorum on a public forum such as this.

Tyer032392

Heck, what I cannot understand is why they just can't adopt the **** approach. To me, that is the best method to deal with swearing, but just be careful that it doesn't filter it out of certain words that also contain that word.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
Well I think a little tongue-in-cheek shaming is ok for these specific instances. I think we're all in possession of enough brain cells to understand how vulgarity works but if people choose to use it anyway, so be it. That's our designated consequence.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
Starts with a 'c' and rhymes with 'runt'. I'm not sure if non-native English speakers necessarily 'pick it up' in casual conversation. It's typically used to refer to extremely disagreeable women, though it can also be used to refer directly to the vagina.

Anouck

Queen of Procrastination
Starts with a 'c' and rhymes with 'runt'. I'm not sure if non-native English speakers necessarily 'pick it up' in casual conversation. It's typically used to refer to extremely disagreeable women, though it can also be used to refer directly to the vagina.

Ah, I know that word.
Thanks... :)

sticky runes

See, I don't personally attack people on these forums. I don't know anyone well enough to decide if they are an effing c-word or not. If I disagree with someone, I'll give my reasons in a reasonable manner, it's not like I'll say "How dare you criticise my favourite character you c#nt!" But particularly when using the lobby, we tend to discuss things that annoy and upset us in day-to-day life, and there are times when the c-word is the only word that will really describe how I'm feeling.

Of course, if I did see somebody using the word directly at another forum user, I would give it a negative rating and report it. Most negativity is handled very well on these boards.

But I understand different words will affect people in different ways. some people might agree with my uses of the word, while others might think it's such a vile word they wouldn't use it against their worst enemy. There are even words that offend me that I wouldn't like to be casually thrown around, so I shouldn't get hypocritical.

I'm still against the "fluffy kittens" thing, though. James Cordon is not a fluffy kitten. He's a useless, fat, arrogant c#nt. I'd call him a prick, but that just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
I totally understand what you're saying, sticky runes. But in the end, it's a consequence of using the word, just like Renegaders "fluff" substitution.

The c-word usage is, without a doubt, the one I historically got the most reports about when it came to swearing. People would even look past the occasional F-bomb but not this word. It's offensive for most people just to see, regardless of the context.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
Well therte's only two actual substitutions. Renegader put the 'fluff' in place fo the f-word. And i did the fuzzy kitten one. Another word just makes a few stars as the substitution.

dunklunk

You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.
Yeah, I don't much care for the fluff substitution. Takes the sting out of the post, imo. I'm more than happy to use stars. Though I must say, I can't imagine ever having to use the c-word here. I usually save that gem for people in RL.

Crooksin

Glue Sniffer
Wait, this is really an issue? Lmao, plops. You know the definition of the c-word is, and I'm not talking about why you would call someone it. I think Fluffy Kittens is quite appropriate, and a little humorous. I dislike censorship, but just like in public, its just not a good look to have people going around screaming obscenities. Let's be real.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts