• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

SuperAxilla

Article Writer
Xbox 720 confirmed. PS4 rumored to be released late 2012(early 2013).

Well, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to Google this stuff, but it does look like Microsoft will be releasing the new "Xbox 720" either very late in 2012 or early 2013. At the same time, it is rumored and quite probable that the new Playstation 4 will also be released at the end of 2012, likely before the Xbox 720.

Speculation has run amuck for quite some time now about both of these new consoles.

Apparently the new Playstation 4 will be running off an AMD graphics card while the Xbox 720 (codename “Durango”) will be running i7 with speculation of either an AMD or an Nvidia card. I cannot find a completely reliable source to positively confirm which. They seem to have one but have yet to absolutely confirm which card. Extremely little is known about what the PS4 will be like, but the Xbox 720 is said to have 1 Terabyte of storage, and will be cheaper in price. Yay! Still, I'll believe that when I see it.

Rumors that the "720" has been built now have been confirmed, as Crytek has acknowledged that they have developed a demo game for the console called "Timeplitters 4”, but Crytek adamantly denies that they are in possession of the console and only made the demo. The most recent pictures released of the console (which may or may not be the end design) show it looking much like a flying saucer space age craft. There are many out there of both consoles and they differ quite a bit, but the only reliable constant depiction of the what the 720 may look like is this:

E.G. XBOX72044rum.jpg ...and also a snazzy looking red one depicted in the slide.

Rumors are that the design will be customizable with additional options for solid metal (colored) consoles so they will look “classy” as one site put it. Supposedly, Microsoft’s 720 will run seven times “better” than the 360 and will be somehow integrated with Microsoft phones and other mobile devices. Also, it is expected that the Kinect will be better adapted to the 720 and there have also been rumors of some sort of Kinect remote for this new console.

So, Sony seems to not be showing their cards just yet, while Microsoft has openly acknowledged and even provided us with a little information on their release. Whether or not it will come out in the 2012-13 time-frame, remains to be seen. The problem with a topic such as this is basically sorting through all the rumors. One can only assume that any and all of this may very well change, but it is very exciting to contemplate the fact that late 2012 to early 2013, we just might see some brand new phenomenal consoles! Some say that the Xbox 720 will be introduced at E3 2012 and one site even has a countdown clock (currently at just over 9 months as if it where counting down to the birth of a baby) to the release of the information elusive PS4. Who’s to say any of this will happen and these will be released?

Well, Microsoft apparently has acknowledged rumors. One could only assume that Sony may follow suit as well, and perhaps the plethora of rumors bears many seeds of truth. Both current Sony and Microsoft consoles at the moment are still enjoying success and are at a new height of popularity. The market is still thriving for both, so it's possible that both companies may push the release of these new systems back. Even though Microsoft may have an estimated release, it is not quite consistent with past release times and neither would the PS4 release be case as Sony estimates that any Playstation Console release should be good for at least eight years. Although with the release dates of the Xbox (2002) and the Xbox 360 (2005), it is quite plausible that 2012-13 may be about the right time.

Whatever consoles may come in late 2012 and early 2013, I will probably be getting both as usual (sigh), but I will only buy those several months after their release, just to make sure that bugs have been "ironed out” and reviews have supported the platforms. New toys are fun!

Attachments

• slide.jpg
    slide.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 10,043

ShenziSixaxis

Article Writer
Considering that there was nothing about a new console from either companies at last year's E3, I seriously doubt we'll see a new console from either companies for a long while. And launching a new console without making a bunch hype is a seriously bad move-- look at Sega. They did that with one console (the Saturn I believe) and screwed themselves over completely when it came to consoles.

All we have about a PS4 is a lot of rumors. Same with the "Xbox 720". Both current consoles are aimed to have a ~10 year lifespan. That means we should expect new consoles in 2015, with accurate information being released about them starting this year, or, more likely, next year.

With the 10 year lifespan thing, that does mean that developers are most likely already working on the new consoles. However, that doesn't mean that the second we get word of it that we can go run out to Walmart so we can buy it.

"Durango" could be an item completely unrelated to the Xbox. Maybe it's the next Xbox. Point is, the public doesn't know what it is, and a new Xbox is not confirmed. It's not even confirmed what Durango is.

Sony lost a LOT of money with the PS3 because it was so expensive to produce. They're also selling PS Vitas at a loss. To put out a big new home console already would likely be suicide. I'm not sure if a similar thing happened with the 360.

What would be best for both consoles is to have upgraded (or even user-upGRADEABLE) versions produced. Add a couple gigs of RAM, boost the processor and GPU a bit, but not change it completely or make a new console. This would extend the consoles' life span. Another idea would be to release add-on type of items, such as the rumored external processor thing that Sony could release. i.e. we'd get a PS3.5 and a 360.5.

This all being said, it's confirmed that Sony doesn't plan to announced a PS4 right away. link 1 link 2 link 3

Apparently the new Playstation 4 will be running off an AMD graphics card while the Xbox 720 (codename “Durango”) will be running i7 with speculation of either an AMD or an Nvidia card. I cannot find a completely reliable source to positively confirm which.

Well, that might be because everything is a rumor and not confirmed.

Also, keep in mind, all new toys are fun. However, they're also pretty damn expensive.

Hotty Squirrel

GENOCIDE JUNKIE!
The Xbox 720 will be release next year... no sure when but that's what they announced on G4 i think... but the Playstation 4 wont be out until probably late next year maybe early 2014 hopefully

Hotty Squirrel

GENOCIDE JUNKIE!
and the Xbox 720 is gonna have it own Kinect for it and its gonna be 2x better then the original Kinect... its called the Kinect 2, they want to make it to where they can get up to 4 players to use 1 kinect... According to a report from Xbox World magazine, the controller will be "an HD screen surrounded by the traditional 360 buttons and sticks." The magazine goes on to state that the controller “could be a remote control when you're watching TV, a browser when you're on the internet, extra buttons and information when you're playing a game or a portable display when you want to take your game with you." just like the Wii-U new controller ;) read the facts on IGN for all their rumored stuff

SuperAxilla

Article Writer
Yes, the whole PS4 is based on rumors. The Xbox 720 though is supported by the fact that Crytek has made a demo for it. This means that there is a prototype. Whether or not it will be produced, remains to be seen. Obviously if there is a prototype, then it is running on a graphics card, but whether or not the final product includes a certain brand is never for certain. The "PS4" is basically riddled with rumors, yet Microsoft seems to be providing more slightly reliable "rumors". Nothing is confirmed other than Crytek's demo for Microsoft's "Xbox 720". As stated in the article and as in with any console release, anything can change. Even if they have a prototype and commissioned Crytek to develop a test game. The summary of all rumors regarding the "720" seem to point to 2013. Whether or not that happens is certainly not set in stone.

SuperAxilla

Article Writer
i thought the new xbox 720 was gonna look like the xbox 360 but with 720 on it?

Soooo many pictures out there. I've seen the one of the remote quite a bit, and others depict it like you said, the same console with "720" on it. I've also seen the big "X" shaped one and even one that suspiciously looks exactly like what the "PS4" sites depict the "next PS" will be. Xbox online magazine shows a pretty wild looking pic of what could be the remote. I would only guess that if the remote is part of this, then that could be why Crytex did the "Timesplitters" demo. Claims from March 1st now that Ubisoft is developing demos for both Sony and Microsoft, so who knows? From what Sony's reps have said about the possibility of the PS4 (deny), the claim about Ubisoft is very strange.

SuperAxilla

Article Writer
It's possible, but part of me of kinda suspects that maybe (just maybe) they could have made a 720 label and slapped it on 360 as an example from IGN. Still, the Xbox original design and the 360 are so similar, it very well could be. Unless someone in marketing and design says "How 'bout we make it look different?" The 360 design does seem to be more practical as opposed to a flying saucer type, or a pretty X shaped one.

Hotty Squirrel

GENOCIDE JUNKIE!
yeah... im just curious on how they are gonna make everything... i just want it out NOW! i cant wait for the wii-u though.. i am an all console fan no matter what except for Onlive

VolenKiller

The Idealist
Not sure what this has to do with Skyrim, but I like it xD

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
Not sure what this has to do with Skyrim, but I like it xD

I approved this as an article topic because I thought that our console players would be interested in content like this. We had an article geared for the PC user with Dagmar's feature. Due to the nature of consoles, this is about as close as we can get to something like that for them.

SuperAxilla

Article Writer
Yeah, it totally has nothing to do with Skyrim. But... many other sites have articles about this, so I've broken it up into a lot of different rumors so I took everything I could find (plus a tiny bit of personal info from a very paranoid friend in Germany) including the latest news to try to make it a brief short little summary. No it doesn't really directly have anything to do with Skyrim. Other than maybe the possibility of a TES 6 and how it would be on future consoles. And I think it might be cool to follow the progression of this as it plays out. I figure a tech update on the subject may be something to add to the site, even if it doesn't directly pertain to Skyrim. Although, if any of the consoles do release, then I can try to follow Bethesda's future plans for it. Perhaps a tech update on this could pave the way for future articles as more info is released. I'd like like to think of it as a precursor to future articles that may eventually lead to whether or not Todd Howard will develop TES 6 for the future consoles. In the last reply from him about it he said "no":sadface:, but you never know. All of these guys will say "yay" one month and "nay" the next. It's maddening. So, I do hope to follow this and see if it does intersect with a future Elder Scrollls 6.

Hotty Squirrel

GENOCIDE JUNKIE!
Well i read and even Todd Howard for Bethesda said that the consoles will probably be out in 2014-2015 if we're lucky... but if we are SUPER lucky it'll be in 2013.... but i dont know if they are gonna present it at E3 2012 or 2013... i think it was 2012 but i dont know they said that the xbox 360 is still a good machine and will still be pressed on until 2014-2015 but thats a rumor.. i just want it out now but the games are gonna be about $90-$100 and i cant afford that for a damn video game... to much money for 1 game, plus with Microsoft new thing where you have to enter a code to use the game like a PC game, we wont be able to buy them used anymore so I'm just gonna buy a Wii-U... alot of people a probably gonna do that because the Xbox 720 is only gonna be 20% better, thats what their anticipating anyways.

SuperAxilla

Article Writer
On the E3 site they say they don't expect it at 2012, so 2013 is possible. They did say that there would be overlapping on the release. The time-frame seems to be 2013-15. But E3 still says that just because they say they won't release at 2012, it could be a "red herring". As far as the games being expensive, they're goal is to make the system with a cheap price, but I don't see how with the kind of graphics cards that would be used. Todd Howard could be right, it may take until 2015 before the components become affordable enough to market it at a cheaper price.

Hotty Squirrel

GENOCIDE JUNKIE!
they wanted to use i guess an AMD ATI Radeon 7000 or something maybe 8000? its weird... i was just confused how they are gonna do this and what would happen if the graphics card burnt out? then we are left with an expensive bill after that

Hotty Squirrel

GENOCIDE JUNKIE!
like when the xbox had the red ring of death they made you spend $600 to fix it, but if you did it yourself you can spend about $30-$40 at the most... its all just to much

Wolf

Hello, is it tea you're looking for?
I'm more interested that you said 'Timesplitters 4'... I love the old games!

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts