United States of America and Gun Control and Ban of High Powered Guns Discussion

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

DRTBAG

I stoped that car with what was legal at the time........a 30 round clip. That's all I needed do to the fact I was aiming,had it on single round burst do to being I was firing in my neighborhood & didn't want to "spray & pray". As I said I know how to shoot & only use full auto at outdoor ranges. I hit what I was aiming at & always do. Think before you shoot is my motto...you can't reload a life........

"Hope for everything, expect nothing."

DRTBAG

I just thought about something ......I'm on a midevil forum talking gun control.........:confused::D

Crooksin

Glue Sniffer
I stoped that car with what was legal at the time........a 30 round clip. That's all I needed do to the fact I was aiming,had it on single round burst do to being I was firing in my neighborhood & didn't want to "spray & pray". As I said I know how to shoot & only use full auto at outdoor ranges. I hit what I was aiming at & always do. Think before you shoot is my motto...you can't reload a life........

This is exactly why there needs to be revised gun control. Someone running through the neighborhood with an AK-47 emptying a 30 round clip. If that story of yours was any bit true.

DRTBAG

I tell you what....you can have all.the gun control you want ill have my gun control. I don't care if its a gun or a knife or a rock, I will defend me & mine till.the day my heart stops beating. I even fashioned metal studs to my cane to make it more like a midevil club then a cane. & yea the story is true, but I didn't go running through the streets. I ran to the end of my yard, pointed, breath, aim, & shot. No "running",persay. They tried to end my life & the life of my child,so I ended his.& the cars. Now that I'm in a chair most of the time & weak as hell like trying to fight a dragon on lvl 1 with an iron sword & fur armour,I have to (lvl up) some how. Now, most of the time these days I carry knives to bridge the gap as well as for other reasons, like getting stuck in a seatbelt in a accident. "Guns don't kill people 3/4" holes in the head do".;)...........FRANK CASTLE.

Crooksin

Glue Sniffer
Well even if that story was true, which I would almost guarantee it isn't, your whole persona lives up to every American stereotype I can think of.

Weismann

Oblivion Walker
Bring on the obscenity, bring on the debauchery, trample on the constitution. Just give me the chance to live in peace, pursuing my own endeavors and not bothering others, and allow me to bring the fires of hell upon the mongrels who would dare threaten that peace.

DRTBAG

True or not & weather.or not I come from a cookie mold stereotypes or not your missing the point. I & most people I know grew up around violence, but as a kid it was fewer & far between. That child,my child any civilian for that matter should not have to die at 6mths old cuz some asshole thought someone else was wearing the wrong color, crossed the wrong street, said the wrong the or God forbid a person talks with sign language in the wrong place & gets mistakin for gang signs!! I was taking public transit when I was in college in my youth & wore a red rag on my head & low & behold 6 bigass grapestreet crips get on the bus & well, lets just say I was lucky I was holding cuz all of them were & they weren't gunna fight fists one on one. They never do. They dump rounds with no ill remorse of where those bullits end up. I've done time for assault(fists on fists) & one thing I learned is these days its kool to go to jail. I can tell you frm experience its not. But those guys don't care about nothing but themselves & junkies are so unpredictable you never know if they have a gun or knife or worse a dirty needle to stick you with. I rather not, thank you. Tell those parents of dead children they can't protect their homes & any remaining children. They can't bring em' back, but like me & many others it gives you piece of mind knowing that next time you can fight back. What I do think should always be law is forced practice at a range. Also, if you know what your doing you can hit & drop your target with little as one bullet as apposed to these bangers with there spray & pray crap witch In my opinion should be left for a battlefield. Also, maybe yearly eye exams, but your still forgetting the.plain truth that badguys are badguys & don't follow rules.

feliciano182

The U.S. is a violent society. You can't blame vehicular homicide on vehicles, then try to take everyone's car away. Switzerland has one of the highest militia rates of gun ownership in the world, and some of the lowest violent crime rates.

Can you kill thirty people with a kitchen knife in less than half an hour ?

Regulation is necessary, we don't blame vehicles for automotive fatalities because everyone knows cars don't have will of their own, that doesn't stop us from taking adequate tests and evaluations to determine wether people are fit to drive cars or not, that doesn't prevent us from having a deffined registry and yearly medical checks to adequately ascertain wether someone can or cannot drive.

Obviously, the problem is bigger than simply "the guns", but they are a contributing factor that has a signifcant effect on wether someone decides to partake in massive violent action or not, that being the case, our governments should be responsible.

As for Switzerland, you know, good for them that they don't have the caliber of violence that is in some places, but at the same time, they don't have extreme degrees of poverty, they don't seem to lack in their capacity to provide adequate healthcare and education, so why would they be an adequate comparison ? There's no incentive nor reason for them to find inmediate solutions to a lethal problem, which is exactly what gun control aims to achieve.

Citizens in the U.S. have a history of rebellion, war and violence in general. Our media and entertainment industry desensitize us with violent imagery, then blame guns instead of taking any of the blame themselves.

What country doesn't have that kind of history ? By that criteria Germany could easily be "Murderland".

As for the media and entertainment industry, I have to disagree, I couldn't possibly pick a 9mm weapon and shoot somebody without having my conscience morally terminating me in the process, neither Zelda, nor Turok, nor Skyrim, nor GTA, nor Reservoir Dogs, nor Seven Samurai, nor Saló, nor any other violent movie, game or book has had any effect on me and countless gamers I can attest (sp) to, most importantly, no science backs it up.

You do, however, make a point on the "transference of blame" part, the media in the US has contributed greatly to bringing many mass-shooters to minor celebrity status, which could very well incite others as a way to gain the attention they feel they deserve, it's a factor we should consider, and I'm certainly not the first to say so.

Benthos

Proud Mer
We already have very tight gun control as is, most if not all of the folks we see in the media in mass shootings have been denied their gun permit such as with the Aurora shooting and the recent school shooting. We can't assume everyone who gets behind a gun to turn around and shoot everyone, instead of hoping your kids won't find your gun, you show them, teach them the dangers and responsibilities of guns and raise them to know better. If they know the damage it can do and all the harm, if they're the kind of kid you're raising right, they will not go breaking into the box and taking it to shoot someone. It all comes down to the individual, we can't assume a person behind a gun will immediately use it for crime. Outlaw guns and it won't do any good, only the law abiding citizens will give in, criminals won't care and won't follow that, they already import illegal guns and drugs and it's a constant battle that the FBI will show on their website about that.
http://blog.syracuse.com/opinion/2013/01/violent_crime_rose_after_gun_b.html

In 2006, assault rose 49.2 percent, robbery 6.2 percent, sexual assault/rape 29.2 percent and overall crime rose 42.2 percent. Those numbers are quite a startling difference from ''virtually eliminating gun deaths and no substantial increase in violent crime.'' And since the ban, Australian women are raped three times more often than American women. Using Australia as an model to lead people into a false sense of security that an anti-gun policy could create a safer society is an injustice.

Believe it or not, there ARE good people who will protect others without thinking about themselves, there ARE situations out there where a guy will have a weapon pointing at someone and someone with a gun will defend the innocent, but they won't see much media, unless it's an all out there story.

He didn't do it for the fame or glory, he did it to protect the innocent, as outlandish of a story this is, we DO have people like that around the world, we DO have maniacs doing whatever the hell they want and think they can get away with it. If we assume our neighbors who own guns will turn around and shoot us, it's paranoia and it will rule one's psyche, fear is one of the most powerful emotions and when that gets a hold of you, you don't know what you are capable of and what you may or may not do in order to save your own skin, this can even lead YOU to be a killer. It's incredible to know what one will do to survive, we already know people will kill others to survive if they must, there's stories of cannibalism out there and it's well accepted but with gun laws, the arguments I've seen online can get really tiresome and whacked out. To defend the greater good is to keep gun control laws and to allow guns so that people can defend their families, can defend their homes, can defend their own cars, it already takes a long time for cops to show up, quite a lot of folks even argue that cops only show up until AFTER it's all over. And yet folks want to rely solely on cops for their own defense? Never good, especially when you're putting your own life in the hands of folks that may not even care about you. It's YOUR life, not theirs, some folks won't even bother their time to lend a helping hand.

Heck, let's step aside and look at another remarkable thing with human psyche:
http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1969142,00.html

The results told a revealing tale. Aboard the Titanic, children under 16 years old were nearly 31% likelier than the reference group to have survived, but those on the Lusitania were 0.7% less likely. Males ages 16 to 35 on the Titanic had a 6.5% poorer survival rate than the reference group but did 7.9% better on the Lusitania. For females in the 16-to-35 group, the gap was more dramatic: those on the Titanic enjoyed a whopping 48.3% edge; on the Lusitania it was a smaller but still significant 10.4%. The most striking survival disparity — no surprise, given the era — was determined by class. The Titanic's first-class passengers had a 43.9% greater chance of making it off the ship and into a lifeboat than the reference group; the Lusitania's, remarkably, were 11.5% less likely.

Other variables beyond the question of time played important roles too. The Lusitania's passengers may have been more prone to stampede than those aboard the Titanic because they were traveling in wartime and were aware that they could come under attack at any moment. The very nature of the attack that sank the Lusitania — the sudden concussion of a torpedo, compared to the slow grinding of an iceberg — would also be likelier to spark panic. Finally, there was the simple fact that everyone aboard the Lusitania was aware of what had happened to the Titanic just three years earlier and thus disabused of the idea that there was any such thing as a ship that was too grand to sink — their own included.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1969142,00.html#ixzz2NriDgcz4

Just that alone, keep the mentality in mind, it's ALWAYS on the individual, then there's the collection of minds as well, it'll normally be situational and when it comes down life and death, if this guy can take your life, you're going to want to at least fight back, the fight or flight can only help for so much. The folks are going to fight to keep their weapons, who wants that right stripped down to bare nothing and taken away? They're reducing hand gun ammo capacity to 7? That's just about revolvers only, 9mm has a 15-30 round magazine so that'd be outlawed, who needs that many rounds during a break in? I certainly would rather have a surplus of ammo than a shortage especially if my life depends on it, this goes with everything else. Food, water, shelter, etc. Rather be able to walk away than not at all.

Lady Redpool the Unlifer

Pyro, Spirits Connoisseur, and Soulless Anarchist
I figured I'd bring my two sense to the argument.
You all know how bad the crime and gun violence is in mexico right? If you don't look it up. I live in Tucson, roughly 2 hours north of the border, and the first major city north of the border. I grew up with a semi automatic weapon next to my bed because if someone with access to guns is shooting at you, the ONLY way to guarantee your own protection is to shoot straighter and faster. Here we see a pretty sad fact: Even if gun control goes into effect, and many of the "Assault weapons" or even all guns were removed from both law abiding and law breaking citizens, we have a fresh and steady supply in Nogales and getting them across the border is not at all hard. The weapons are here, it is easy to get the weapons. Restricting what weapons you can legally have doesn't matter when you can illegally obtain them here or legally obtain them in another country and illegally bring them here. It;s a problem that places like, say, the U.K. don't really have, or the people there don't realize. If you were to pull up my bed right now you would find an Ak47 and mossberg(which I prefer) and I have a drawer with two 9mm Glocks. I have these because here in america we DO need to defend ourselves, and not just from people INSIDE our country.

feliciano182

We already have very tight gun control as is, most if not all of the folks we see in the media in mass shootings have been denied their gun permit such as with the Aurora shooting and the recent school shooting. We can't assume everyone who gets behind a gun to turn around and shoot everyone, instead of hoping your kids won't find your gun, you show them, teach them the dangers and responsibilities of guns and raise them to know better. If they know the damage it can do and all the harm, if they're the kind of kid you're raising right, they will not go breaking into the box and taking it to shoot someone. It all comes down to the individual, we can't assume a person behind a gun will immediately use it for crime. Outlaw guns and it won't do any good, only the law abiding citizens will give in, criminals won't care and won't follow that, they already import illegal guns and drugs and it's a constant battle that the FBI will show on their website about that.

Two points here:

First, I don't need to assume that everyone who gets behind a gun is going to commit a crime, only that it takes one person with an adequate assault rifle to kill dozens and injure even more, no matter how insane you are, you simply can't reach those numbers with a knife, a chair, or a car.

Second, gun control isn't necessarily outlawing, it's also testing, evaluation, assesment, training and education, even if, personally, it makes no goddamn sense to me for a civilian to own an assault rifle.

Benthos

Proud Mer
Two points here:

First, I don't need to assume that everyone who gets behind a gun is going to commit a crime, only that it takes one person with an adequate assault rifle to kill dozens and injure even more, no matter how insane you are, you simply can't reach those numbers with a knife, a chair, or a car.

Second, gun control isn't necessarily outlawing, it's also testing, evaluation, assesment, training and education, even if, personally, it makes no goddamn sense to me for a civilian to own an assault rifle.
Escalation, that's why one would want an assault rifle, when folks who endanger your neighborhood and families with higher tech and weaponry, it's common those would try to match or upgrade so they can stand a chance and survive. Throughout history that's how it's always been, rocks and slings, clubs, bows and arrows, swords/maces/etc, types of armor, so on and so forth. This isn't just life in a military but also as civilians. Gun control isn't outlawing but that's just one step closer to it and that's what people fear. The arguments used against gun owners in this are often that in not gun control but outright banning guns entirely because they're dangerous. A sane and regular person wouldn't go into a crowd and demonstrate how many people they can kill with an assault rifle, it takes a certain kind of person. Folks can't argue something this delicate without knowing that it's still situational and based upon the individual(s) involved. We're not talking about general populace unless we're talking about crime but then that takes away their points in the argument because criminals will still get their guns regardless if it's just simple gun control or gun banishment.

feliciano182

Escalation, that's why one would want an assault rifle, when folks who endanger your neighborhood and families with higher tech and weaponry, it's common those would try to match or upgrade so they can stand a chance and survive. Throughout history that's how it's always been, rocks and slings, clubs, bows and arrows, swords/maces/etc, types of armor, so on and so forth. This isn't just life in a military but also as civilians. Gun control isn't outlawing but that's just one step closer to it and that's what people fear. The arguments used against gun owners in this are often that in not gun control but outright banning guns entirely because they're dangerous. A sane and regular person wouldn't go into a crowd and demonstrate how many people they can kill with an assault rifle, it takes a certain kind of person. Folks can't argue something this delicate without knowing that it's still situational and based upon the individual(s) involved. We're not talking about general populace unless we're talking about crime but then that takes away their points in the argument because criminals will still get their guns regardless if it's just simple gun control or gun banishment.

You're articulate, and you seem passionate about defending your point, so good for you on that account.

However, this is paranoia, people who rob houses and assault people in their properties do so with much lower caliber weapons (if any at all), aside from that, how is a shotgun not enough to protect your home and your property ? You don't have to be as skilled nor as accurate since the spread compensates, does it weigh more ? Probably, but you won't even have to shoot the damn thing if you accompany your warning with the loading sound of the shotgun, which might very well scare off any intruder.

And again, no one can simply ignore the entirety of what "gun control" encompasses out of fear of "banning", which again, is perfectly reasonable since civilians have no business using high caliber assault rifles, why ? Because unlike knives, chairs, cars, watches, bricks, sofas, dogs ,cats, or any other "analogy" anyone can think of, you cannot kill dozens with any of the latter.

Benthos

Proud Mer
You're articulate, and you seem passionate about defending your point, so good for you on that account.

However, this is paranoia, people who rob houses and assault people in their properties do so with much lower caliber weapons (if any at all), aside from that, how is a shotgun not enough to protect your home and your property ? You don't have to be as skilled nor as accurate since the spread compensates, does it weigh more ? Probably, but you won't even have to shoot the damn thing if you accompany your warning with the loading sound of the shotgun, which might very well scare off any intruder.

And again, no one can simply ignore the entirety of what "gun control" encompasses out of fear of "banning", which again, is perfectly reasonable since civilians have no business using high caliber assault rifles, why ? Because unlike knives, chairs, cars, watches, bricks, sofas, dogs ,cats, or any other "analogy" anyone can think of, you cannot kill dozens with any of the latter.
As the second amendment has been put together for, the right to bear arms as well as if/when we get invaded and have to defend ourselves against all enemies both foreign and domestic. The point of assault rifles are made for massive spread of damage and death in short amount of time, just as they're made for in the military, when invasions do strike hard and in time it WILL happen where enemy troops will surge through our neighborhoods, cities, etc. Military can't be relied upon entirely when the enemy is going through each area across regions.

feliciano182

As the second amendment has been put together for, the right to bear arms as well as if/when we get invaded and have to defend ourselves against all enemies both foreign and domestic. The point of assault rifles are made for massive spread of damage and death in short amount of time, just as they're made for in the military, when invasions do strike hard and in time it WILL happen where enemy troops will surge through our neighborhoods, cities, etc. Military can't be relied upon entirely when the enemy is going through each area across regions.

Paranoia.............and the irrational kind at that.

When someone, be it your own government or someone else's comes to take your home and your neighborhood, they will do so by bombarding your home and your family into ashes, they will use armored vehicles to protect themselves from your assault rifle, and if push comes to shove, the soldiers you will engage will be highly trained individuals, capable of working as cohesive units with all kinds of accesories and all forms of support, your guns won't protect you, it was a nice idea by Jefferson & crew back when wars were fought and decided with personal weaponry, but in the era of drone strikes, you will lose.

FullmetalHeart20

I like to keep these ideas simple. People are psychotic. Gun control won't stop them from getting one any more than saying that killing people is bad. That being said, it's possible for people to use a gun irresponsibly. Enough tragedies occur because of a basic handgun. I'd hate to see what an AK-47 will do.
And Benthos? If you're so worried about invasions, join the military. That's what it's there for.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts