Unique Skyrim Character Builds--The Cryomage

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

amcsBreakingBad

ARE YOU TIRED OF MAKING THE SAME TYPE OF CHARACTER AS ALL YOUR FRIENDS?! HAVE YOU MADE SO MANY CHARACTERS IN SKYRIM THAT YOU CANT'T THINK OF ANY OTHERS TO BUILD?! IS SKYRIM TOO EASY FOR YOUR SWORD'N'BOARD NORD?! THEN YOU NEED TO READ amcsBreakingBad's PATENTED (not really) GUIDE TO UNIQUE SKYRIM CHARACTER BUILDS!!!

How was that for an intro? All cliche's aside, I have spent an ungodly amount of hours making unique skyrim builds. I've probably made and used a dozen profiles extensively and have compiled a list of the more unique of harder builds. I plan on separating this guide into sections. Each section will tell the tale of a different hero and describe that hero's playstyle, including ideal races, perks, and gear.

First up is the Cryomage. This is probably the profile that I have the most progress in. Some of you may be thinking, "That's not unique" or "everyone's made a mage before." But have you ever tried to successfully use only frost based magic in a game where almost everything is either resistant or immune to frost magic. It's insanely difficult at higher levels when you face enemies with huge amounts of health like Draugr Scourges, Deathlords, and Overlords, but I managed. You will find that when I am listing perks, I will only list the bare minimum. This leaves a lot of options for other non-combat perks such as Alchemy to boost your magic pool and regen, Enchanting to cast spells for less magic, and Speech to...ya know...buy and sell stuff. The reason that this particular build is so difficult is because I literally only used frost based magic, and a dagger. Ice wraiths were terrible to deal with and Dwemer Ruins were no better. I would suggest for this build to have a follower with you when you are around the Winterhold area or are entering a Dwemer Ruin. I chose Mjoll because she complemented my mage with her Two-Handed run-around-and-kill-things attitude and she can't die. Just make sure to give her better armor and weapons, preferrably with frost enchants on them cuz it matches the motif.

Backstory:
The Cryomage grew up on the west side of the Iliac Bay. She was taught from an early age how to harness the power of Aetherium in the form of frost magic from her grandfather, who was a very powerful and esteemed wizard. By the age of ten, she had cast her first rune and by twelve had summoned her first frost atronach. By eighteen she was the personal wizard to the man governing over the cities and towns in the Iliac Basin and travelled with him during his diplomatic affairs. That was until she was wrongfully accused of an assassination attempt upon her master by the corrupt captain of the guard. She was exiled from the Iliac Basin and made her way to Skyrim to see a friend of her grandfather's. This is where the tale of the Dragonborn begins.

Ideal Races:
Breton (make most sense because she was from High Rock)
Altmer (natural inclination to the use of magic)
Nord (resistance to frost)

Perks:

Destruction:
Novice Destruction
Apprentice Destruction
Rune Master
Augmented Frost 2/2
Deep Freeze

Conjuration:
Novice Conjuration
Summoner 2/2
Atromancy
Elemental Potency
Twin Souls

Gear:
Master Robes of Destruction/Arch-Mage's Robes
Dukaan DB (makes frost spells 25% more powerful and increases frost resistance by 50%)
Amulet of Talos/necklace that boosts magic pool or decreases destruction spell cost
ring that boosts magic pool or decreases destruction spell cost
boots that increase resistance to frost

Shouts and other abilities:
Frost Breath
Ice Form
Slow Time (kind of like paralyzing the world)
North Wind DB (one-time-use shout that is equivalent to the Blizzard spell)
Root of Power DB (reduces magic cost for spells)
Secret of Arcana DB (eliminates magic cost for spells for 30 seconds)
Dragonborn Frost DB (Frost Breath now acts like Ice Form)
Companion's Insight DB (destruction spells do not harm followers)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts