1. Welcome to Skyrim Forums. You totally should register so you can experience everything our community offers. We have various resources related to Skyrim which include a massive array of Guides and Tutorials. If you're here just for the discussion you can check out our General Skyrim Discussion section or if you're here for help you can check out our Skyrim Help section. We also have the latest Skyrim News and fun stuff like Roleplaying and even a Skyrim Fan Fiction section!

Are you here to discuss Dawnguard? You may discuss it by signing up and checking out this section.

So if you love Skyrim you should join for sure. Click the 'Sign Up' button on the right to register your account. You can register with your Facebook or Steam account.

Unique character development ideas

Discussion in 'General Skyrim Discussion' started by Jaer, May 15, 2012.

1. Jaer Member

Message Count:
    I thought it would be nice to start a common thread for people to read to get inspiration about unique character ideas. Not so much builds, but if you have one that is really unique, then please share, but more of roleplaying/flavor ideas. There seems to be a lot of questions, some by myself, for these ideas.

To start, I played a character that got progressively more evil as he absorbed dragon souls. I also did a lot of reloading, so that if possible, he only faced fire element dragons, and therefore, I could only use frost as the antithesis to this. Made for an interesting play, as I had to really change my choices and interactions the further the game went on, and he developed a desire of power, as all evil people seem to, but that wasn't necessarily the original plan, it just happened.
    AS88 and Pete like this.
  2. Renard Swartzahn The Lynx of Skyrim

Message Count:
    I have a Khajiit character that I like to call the Lynx of Skyrim. He's an explorer, and he tries to be as non-violent as possible. When he encounters an enemy if he cannot talk his way out of trouble, he'll try to sneak away, and if that fails he'll end them swiftly with either a barrage of claw attacks, or a quick dagger to the liver.

He developed this stance after watching many people's families getting torn apart by death, and decided that he could no longer bare it. So the Ra'Jirr, is actually trying to keep from tearing apart the people of Skyrim even more than they have done to themselves.
  3. Jaer Member

Message Count:
    Nice idea! I like it. It kind of goes along with an idea that has been brought up a bit of a character who avoids conflict directly and uses spells to turn bad guys against one another (frenzy, fear, ect.). Thank you for sharing.
  4. Jaer Member

Message Count:
    Just thought of one... You must attempt to steal from every person you talk to. Should land you in jail a bit when you try to rob a Jarl or someone. Something akin to Tasselhoff Burrfoot (I think that was his name) from the Dragonlance series by Weis/Hickman.
  5. Jaer Member

Message Count:
    Oh, and another fun one that I have been doing lately is you cannot wear any armor that you find as it would not necessarily fit you. You would have to buy it or make it to wear it.

*SPOILER*

The only exception I would make is the chainmaile you get as a Deadric from the one quest line.

*End Spoiler*
  6. MushroomGenius Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki

Message Count:
    I posted this in another thread...
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. Jaer Member

Message Count:
    I also read somewhere on the forums about someone doing a deadric worshiper line, where they chose a certain god and followed their teachings. Seemed like a neat lore based way to approach the game.
  8. imaginepageant Daughter of House Lannister

Message Count:
    I just started a new game last night, combining two playstyles I've been wanting to try for awhile: the pacifist, and the kleptomaniac. You see, my Khajiit is a little conflicted. He refuses to kill anything or anyone... but he will steal anything from anyone.

Sneaking will be his first defense, but of course, that won't work every time. Calm and Fear spells will be his bread and butter, but he will only use Frenzy on hostiles, not innocents. He'll likely have to use Throw Voice a lot, as well as various methods of invisibility. He will carry a bow, but only for firing diversionary arrows into walls. The only living thing he will have no choice but to kill is Alduin—but seeing as that's the only alternative to an apocalypse in which everyone would die, I'm thinking my Khajiit will be all right with making that one exception.

As for being a kleptomaniac... he will steal at least one random, worthless item from any house or shop he enters, and he'll be pickpocketing like a madman. Once he gets a house, he'll have an entire room devoted to his stolen treasures: wooden ladles, rolls of paper, cauldrons, and the like will be piled up to the ceiling. Oh, and since he's a cat, he will have an insatiable love for fish, and will always steal (or at least attempt to steal) fish wherever he sees it.

I think I'm going to have a lot of fun playing this little psycho.
  9. Adam Warlock Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    "The Trash Collector "

Wears shabby clothes or found attire and usually operates during morning hours.
    Can acquire any objects found in the open or on dead bodies but not from inside containers or chests unless it`s a quest item.
    May acquire vendor`s items by bartering with found items but no direct cash purchases except for food and drink.
    Lives in a shack or other borrowed locale and will not purchase a home of his own.
    Doesn`t marry , uses followers only one mission at a time(has B.O.) , doesn`t pay for mercs.
    Although the Collector may become a Thane , will not use that status to escape bounties.
    Can be a mage or warrior , your choice
    Porchdrinker and Pete like this.
  10. Pete Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    For a character that becomes a werewolf; I make them, over time, slowly loose the ability to control the beast.

Another option with werewolves is to give the beast a completely separate life from the player. Ie the player and beast form are two distinct natures/behaviors. Don't use the beast as a tool. See my comments on roll playing that: roll playing a werewolf
  11. Jaer Member

Message Count:
    I like the Dr. Jekyl/Mr. Hyde (spelling?) of that idea Pete! Might have to make a character like that! Even a different attitude for day/night, even if not a werewolf/vampire. Could even have to randomly wait for 8 hour periods, like losing time...
  12. Kiwi Hammerbush Watcher of the Worlds

Message Count:
    "The Unwilling Magus"

Backstory: You were once part of a group of adventurers who went out of their way to help those who could not help themselves, a mentality that drew you towards them in the first place.

As a young boy/girl, you were relatively aware that you had some talents that other people didn't show, normally let loose in times of stress. But, as you grew older, and became less easily stressed, you seemed to forget about you "talents", and you began to focus more on your physical body, training in the combat arts so you may one day go off on adventures

One day, you were in a tavern after doing some hunting in the woods nearby your town, when a group of adventurers entered, asking if anyone would join them in a quest to delve into a lost dungeon. And naturally, you jumped at the opportunity, unaware of what changes would occur during your travels.

As you traveled along with your new-found companions, you started to notice a certain energy flow through you, especially in times of danger, or when you were in close contact with your group's mage. You were not sure of what this meant, but you were soon to find out.

While you were in the dungeon you were treasure hunting in, a powerful necromancer in the ancient dungeon attacked, leaving most of your party incapacitated. In this moment of terror, as you saw death flashing before your eyes, you finally tapped into the energy that had been building in strength since you had first learnt to crawl. You shot a blast of pure magical energy from your hands, vaporizing the horrific necromancer, and saving your group.

After the quest was over, you left the group, now traveling around the world, trying to forget that moment where you gained unimaginable power, and used it to obliterate another being. But soon, the time will come where you must channel your unnatural abilities, abilities that would make another mage burn up with pure envy...or all shall be lost, young Dragonborn...

Playstyle: You're capable of using all magical abilities, but you are naturally unwilling to do so at the start of your journey, so to start with, you would only use magic in life threatening situations (e.g. Killing an extremely powerful foe such as a dragon, healing yourself when near death, shielding yourself against a fatal attack). As time goes on, you will begin to use magic in more situations, until it becomes second nature.

You are seeking a person capable of explaining exactly what you are, so your travels will eventually lead you to the College of Winterhold, where you will be able to begin training in magic in earnest, tapping into both the magic flowing through you, and the draconic powers you seem to possess.

As you were unaware of your powers for such a long period of time, you have learnt to use blades with unusual effect for one of your mystical nature. As such, you will be more than capable of leveling your one handed skills, and as an adventurer who had to travel long distances, you were naturally drawn to light armour such as leather. Heavy armour is too cumbersome to be of use to one such as yourself, and robes never seemed to feel...right on you, although you are naturally drawn to enchanted armour. Two handed weaponry has also never called out to you, as you have always instinctively kept one hand free, perhaps in anticipation of some flames shooting out...

You start out wanting to help people, being a naturally gentle soul, but as your travel around the lands of Skyrim, seeing all the injustice, all the wars, the horrors, and as your learn to tap into your ancient power, your once gentle, noble, kind nature may turn to one of selfishness, greed, a soul of pure cold calculation, who's only purpose is to survive, prosper, and annihilate any who dare stand in your way...

As an adventurer, you are more than comfortable trekking the vast landscape of Skyrim, although depending on your race, you may require to rest in warm areas more often. You're not all that comfortable delving into tombs and old dungeons either, due to your previous experience with such areas (Naturally, this discomfort leaves you as you become more comfortable with your nature). Due to spending your formative years in a woodland village, you're comfortable around animals, and you are more than capable of hunting to feed yourself. However, due to not being around any major cities in your time, you are not as street wise in such areas. You're not a natural merchant, and you're more inclined to trust people at the start of your journey than you should be, often leading to people taking advantage of you, especially those aware of your powers. Be careful out there...

You're not all that interested in politics, having spent most of your life out of reach of such affairs. If you were to choose between the two warring factions, you're most likely to do so based on your own morales, and how often you see each side perform acts of good (Or evil, depending on you nature)
    AS88 likes this.
  13. Jaeger Active Member

Message Count:
    So, the Jester. Go anywhere with it?

Jabbawack, sneak, pickpocket and lock picking perks?
  14. Kiwi Hammerbush Watcher of the Worlds

Message Count:
    You know...I think I might've made mine a bit too detailed
  15. The Thought Burglar New Member

Message Count:
  16. Porchdrinker Member

Message Count:
    I'm currently playing a Breton Knight of the Goddess Order, a heavy armor battle mage devoted to Mara, Kynareth, and Dibella. He has one enchanted armor set for each goddess, and he must visit the temple of each of the three divines once a month to receive a sign. The sign is actually a dice roll to help me choose what to do or where to go next.

Other rules: he can only accept quests from females and Jarls; he cannot use cure disease potions (must pray at the temple shrine of one of the three goddesses to cure a disease); and must use illusion magic on all animals while wearing his Kynareth armor set.

Self-created quests include obtaining an amulet for each divine, locating each shrine in Skyrim, and choosing a muse for each goddess. (His Dibella muse is Helga, his Mara muse is Ysolda, etc.).

I built this character for Hearthfire, so I plan on completing all of the Temple quests, all self created quests, and then marrying one of e muses.

Basically, this character framework can be applied to any "knight" or "cult member" character with some other random assortment of Aedra and Daedra as the focal points.
    AS88 likes this.
    • Creative Creative x 1
  17. UndeadDollface Professional Corpse

Message Count:
    I made a devotee of Hircine along those lines in Oblivion. She lived in the wilderness and skulked along major highways waiting for 'prey' to wander by. When she saw something/someone worthy of being hunted she would attack with arrows from a place of stealth and try to pick them off as quickly as possible and chase after them if they tried to run. If she killed an animal(s) she would harvest their meat,hide,horns, etc. or in the case of a traveler/guard(s) she would take an article of armor/clothing as a trophy. By the time I was done playing her she had several baskets filled with Imperial Legionnaire helmets.
  18. The OP3RaT0R Call me Op. Or Smooth.

Message Count:
    Pick a race, read up on the lore of that race, then create three very different backstories; one for a thief, one for a warrior, and one for a mage. This lets you really explore the lore of the world of the Elder Scrolls.
  19. The Thought Burglar New Member

Message Count:

The Contractor:-

As a young Dunmer living in the city, you did anything you could to scrape by. You were alone and quickly learned to fend for yourself. You were a fine shot with a bow, though you preferred knife-play. As a Dunmer however, you had a natural talent for simple spellcraft. You had no patience for those who liked to push others around.

A local criminal gang recognised your unique set of talents, and gave you an offer you couldn’t refuse. You worked for them in your early adolescent years, settling debts and supervising the brokering of certain goods. A favourite venture of your criminal bosses was the importation of skooma and moon-sugar from a Khajit cartel.

You became relatively well known and feared in the underworld. You were ruthless and efficient. After a year or so, you and your employers quickly realised that this was a waste of your talents. You moved onto much larger fish, as it were. Your real talent lied in…Elimination. You were paid handsomely, to eradicate your employer’s competitors. You became so efficient in fact, that many in your criminal syndicate came to think that you were too powerful.

So much so, that they ordered your execution. Many mercenaries tried to kill you, but naturally you slaughtered them all. After you killed the assassins, you went back to the gang’s base. You snuck into the hideout, killing all the guards as you went. You finally came face to face with your old employer. Your old employer did not survive that meeting.

You had earned a very handsome living whilst working in the underworld. You retired to Skyrim, and vowed never to return to your old life. You worked in Riverwood now, helping out Alvor or cutting wood for Hod and Gerdur. But the events that were about to unfold, you force out your dark past. The future of Skyrim hinged on you. The world would need a hero. The world needed…The Contractor.

I obviously want to leave most of the character up to those who play as him/her. Naturally, the contractor is drawn to the dark brotherhood and the thieves’ guild. But I envisage him as a kind person, who uses his violent ways for good. He helps those who he can, and protects the weak. Cross him/her and you won’t last long
  20. The Thought Burglar New Member

Message Count:
    This is my character, the Contractor. Ill post it in white this time.

The Contractor:-

As a young Dunmer living in the city, you did anything you could to scrape by. You were alone and quickly learned to fend for yourself. You were a fine shot with a bow, though you preferred knife-play. As a Dunmer however, you had a natural talent for simple spellcraft. You had no patience for those who liked to push others around.

A local criminal gang recognised your unique set of talents, and gave you an offer you couldn’t refuse. You worked for them in your early adolescent years, settling debts and supervising the brokering of certain goods. A favourite venture of your criminal bosses was the importation of skooma and moon-sugar from a Khajit cartel.

You became relatively well known and feared in the underworld. You were ruthless and efficient. After a year or so, you and your employers quickly realised that this was a waste of your talents. You moved onto much larger fish, as it were. Your real talent lied in…Elimination. You were paid handsomely, to eradicate your employer’s competitors. You became so efficient in fact, that many in your criminal syndicate came to think that you were too powerful.

So much so, that they ordered your execution. Many mercenaries tried to kill you, but naturally you slaughtered them all. After you killed the assassins, you went back to the gang’s base. You snuck into the hideout, killing all the guards as you went. You finally came face to face with your old employer. Your old employer did not survive that meeting.

You had earned a very handsome living whilst working in the underworld. You retired to Skyrim, and vowed never to return to your old life. You worked in Riverwood now, helping out Alvor or cutting wood for Hod and Gerdur. But the events that were about to unfold, you force out your dark past. The future of Skyrim hinged on you. The world would need a hero. The world needed…The Contractor.

I obviously want to leave most of the character up to those who play as him/her. Naturally, the contractor is drawn to the dark brotherhood and the thieves’ guild. But I envisage him as a kind person, who uses his violent ways for good. He helps those who he can, and protects the weak. Cross him/her and you won’t last long