• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, and welcome to our roleplaying section. Please take some time to read two of these useful resources below, if you're already a roleplaying expert, then there's no need to read the following beginner's guide, but be sure to read the rules.

Free Form Role Playing Guide for Beginners
    JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.

Hime

The Mighty Lurk Queen
    Kash was staring off at the note, thinking what adventures it could hold. She always had a peculiar way of thinking by putting her fingers to her lips. She herself didn't know why but she adopted it from her mother. A voice pulled her from her reveries, and Kash turned to see a Breton man calling her. She waited for him to finish speaking before she herself, nodding to the woman that he addressed as Anja and giving a small smile.
    "You had me at expedition. I'm Kashiania Yushrri of the Companions, its nice to meet you both. I think all the better of a good mystery, I know that this is the job for me with or without all the information. If the employer wishes to keep to his own counsel, than I have no right to question his motives."

Wolfbane

Why change the past when you can own this day?
    He couldn't sleep. Maybe it was the excitement of going on an expedition, or was the thought of going into a Dwemer ruin? Maybe he was just over-thinking. Right now, he didn't quite know either way. One thing was for sure, he wasn't getting sleep anytime soon. Before he got up, he pulled out his necklace and start tracing over it. It had an arrowhead that had carvings on it. Every crack was as sharp as a sword, sharp enough that he drew his own blood when he was running his finger over it a bit too hard. The arrowhead has enough memories and lives around it to span a couple lifetimes. After he was done thinking and pondering, he proceeded down the stairs to have a drink and see if that would calm him down, or to drink himself to sleep. As he was walking down the stairs, he noticed that the bar was filled with mostly the people who he was going to be working with. He at first thought about going back to his room and write in his journal, but he decided to take a chance and introduce himself and try to socialize. "Is this seat taken? I figured I could use a drink. I'm Ardin, by the way. What do you think about this whole Endeavor?" He addressed the question to the rest of the group, then ordered a drink to settle himself down again.

Melee

I'm back, bitches
    The man who had answered the door peered down at the young Wood Elf for a moment, observing every aspect her and probably determining if it was worth his time to pay any attention to her. He finally gestured for Fen to enter and mumbled "I... I suppose you may," mildly surprising her as she took a seat at the small table situated against the wall. He didn't seem as angry at being woken up suddenly as she had expected, and wasn't quite sure what to make of that. She just knew that she wouldn't be complaining about it.

He sat down and sighed, attempting to rub the sleep from his eyes as he said, "Yes, it is true that I will be embarking on an expedition to a Dwemer ruin. In fact, there may be several Dwemer ruins involved. It all depends on whether or not I find what I'm searching for. It will be dangerous, it will take a long time, and there's a rather high probability you may not come out alive."

He paused for emphasis, looking up at her with another scrutinizing glance. The thought of Dwemer ruins did not frighten Fen; she was accustomed to entering them for Calcelmo and her own research. After getting no negative reaction from her, the man asked,
    "So, what else do you want to know? Do you wish to accompany me and any others that choose to come along?"

Fen bit her lip, thinking about what she had heard earlier and what the man was saying now. It wasn't much to go on, but this was an opportunity she couldn't pass up. As a researcher of the Dwemer herself, she couldn't imagine not helping someone who shared her interests. The ruins were dangerous places, after all. Even the most seasoned explorer and cautious researcher could find themselves in trouble if a long-dormant trap suddenly sprang to life.

"I do have a few questions," Fen said as she crossed her arms and leaned on the table. "For starters, I'd like to know your name. I don't think you've mentioned it at all, and I think that's a very important piece of information. Second, where are we going to start looking? Is there a specific path we're going to take? Have the people who are accompanying you ever been inside a Dwemer ruin, or know what to expect? I'm sure we both know how dangerous they are, and while injuries and sometimes even deaths are unavoidable, I think it's best if everyone is as prepared as possible." Fen's eyes flashed as she talked, feeling completely within her element. She had no doubt the man sitting across from her knew what he was doing; why else would he have posted the note in the first place? This mission had a true purpose. It wasn't a simple ransacking expedition, and the man had an air of exploration about him already. She had a feeling he was well seasoned as an explorer.

Leaning back in her chair, arms still folded, Fen looked at the man and grinned widely. She did not know what would come ahead of her, but she knew that whatever happened, she had to be a part of it. "One last thing. When do we leave?"

Delusional

Connoisseur of Hallucinations
    "I do have a few questions. For starters, I'd like to know your name. I don't think you've mentioned it at all, and I think that's a very important piece of information. Second, where are we going to start looking? Is there a specific path we're going to take? Have the people who are accompanying you ever been inside a Dwemer ruin, or know what to expect? I'm sure we both know how dangerous they are, and while injuries and sometimes even deaths are unavoidable, I think it's best if everyone is as prepared as possible." She wasted no time, that was for sure. She spoke without haste and with confidence, which almost impressed Marcus. The Imperial leaned forward and began to toy with the empty flask of wine that sat idle on the table.

"My name is Marcus," he said. He looked up from the bottle and locked gazes with the Bosmer. "Marcus Paxillius. As for the second question, I cannot really provide a sufficient answer for that. In truth, I do not entirely know where we will be going. I do know that our destinations will be ancient Dwemer ruins, hidden away deep beneath the surface. If I had known where I was to journey to, I would not need other ambitious adventurers to accompany me." Marcus raised a hand to cover his mouth as he coughed. Leaning back in the chair, Marcus sighed before continuing.

"As for the others, I do not know if they have ever ventured inside of a Dwemer ruin, nor do I really care. They seem capable enough. Plus, they were adventurous enough to find some sort of interest in the vague note I left downstairs. If they do prove incapable of handling themselves and surviving in a Dwemer ruin, that's their loss and their own life. I'll let them come if they have the mind to try their luck, but I will not be responsible for keeping them alive." He paused again, letting his words sink in. Marcus studied the Bosmer, trying to read her expression. She was smiling slightly, which gave Marcus hope. She seemed on board, as far as he was concerned, and appeared to have experience in the field of the Dwemer, something he may require down the road, or down in a ruin, rather.

"One last thing. When do we leave?" Marcus looked the small elf in the eyes, eyebrows raised.

"Well, I intend on leaving as soon as possible. Which reminds me, I must fetch the others, I don't believe it is quite been four hours yet." Marcus stood and headed for the door, leaving the Bosmer sitting at the table. He slipped out of the room and descended the stairs into the tavern. It was unusually crowded, but he was able to spot the interested adventurers gathered around the bar, engaged in conversation with another new face. He approached the bar and leaned against the bar, clearing his throat to catch the attention of the crowd. He said no words, but his point was made, and he returned to his room, hoping that they all were following him.

Wolfbane

Without giving the others a chance to answer, he followed the Imperial man back to the room to what he assumed to be further prepared for the expedition. The stairs would creak with every step, more so thanks to his size. After one flight, he was back at the room and the sight of a small wood elf caught his attention. He nodded to the new guest, and sat down to listen further. He was debating on whether he should wait till the man spoke, or if he should ask questions. He shortly decided to be polite and wait for the others and for the man to talk. 'It looks like more people are showing up for the task at hand. It's a good thing, that is. More people means better chance to survive. I wonder what has happened to his father. I hope to gods that he's alive, and just stuck in the ruin due to a trap or just lost. I know what it's like to lose your parents, so I want to help him find his father, and to see his research gain some light. Some knowledge should never be forgotten, and always learned. I guess I should introduce myself to the Elf.'

With that, he turned to the small wood elf, gave a friendly smile, then introduced himself. "Well met, I'm Ardin Wolf's-bane. It's obvious that we are both here for the same reason. I'm sure the others will be here in a moment." After he introduced himself, he sat back and pinched his nose right under nose. His eyes were hurting due to not sleeping well. Fighting will be harder, and to navigate through a ruin. He decided to shake the thought, and began to play with a septim in his right hand, and continued to wait.

Irish

Thane of Solitude
    "You had me at expedition. I'm Kashiania Yushrri of the Companions, its nice to meet you both. I think all the better of a good mystery, I know that this is the job for me with or without all the information. If the employer wishes to keep to his own counsel, than I have no right to question his motives."

Anja perked up at the Khajiit's mention of being a Shield-Sister, but quickly set aside the urge to launch a barrage of questions."I've more important and pressing matters to focus on; besides, desperation is a putrid perfume...and I'm not desperate," she thought matter-of-factly. Putting the argument to rest, she picked up her tankard, grinned at who she presumed to be her team, and drank. She couldn't remember the last time she felt so invigorated; perhaps it was when she first set eyes on the Blue Palace, or when she made her first kill - an elk - using purely her intuition and marksmanship at the age of 11. She reflected back on her youth in Helgen and her days of target practice with her dearest friend, Angi. "I wonder how she's doing," Anja wondered. "Perhaps after this expedition, I'll pay her a visit."

"Is this seat taken? I figured I could use a drink. I'm Ardin, by the way. What do you think about this whole Endeavor?"

Anja studied the mountain of a man and recalled him from the inquiry. Edwyn agreed that yes, the Nord may have a seat, so Anja scooted her chair to the left to allow enough room for him. She observed the small group, thanking Talos that enough of them stuck around (as well as a new addition) to make the impending adventure worthwhile. They were a diverse group, each matched with varying skills, she assumed, that would offer support where others lacked. She knew this was a very good thing as she'd been around the Imperial Legion enough during her casual target practices at Castle Dour, often overhearing the Legionnaires discussing battle tactics used against the Stormcloaks. She listened intently as the others guessed what they could expect from the mysterious, weary Imperial man once they were called back.

"I'm not sure what to expect, really," Anja chimed in. "I once heard an adventurer mention there were plenty of traps and dangerous automatons that roam Dwarven ruins. Sounds perilous. Sounds like something we, as a team, can overcome if we stick together. As for the Imperial - did anyone catch his name?" The others shook their heads. "Well, I suppose we'll find out soon enough."

"Indeed, we shall," added Edwyn. "Let us hope that whatever dangers we face, the amount of gold and treasures will more than make up for them." The occupants of the table nodded, made remarks along the lines of wishful thinking, and toasted to riches. As they drank their mead, with the exception of Kashiania, Anja felt a tap on her shoulder. She turned around to see a Nord standing before her.

"Got something I'm supposed to deliver, your hands only," he said politely. "Let's see here...ahh, a letter from some Thane in Solitude and this dagger. Very fancy." The courier handed her the delivery and concluded, "Well, that's it. Gotta go."

Anja looked down at the dagger, its ebony hilt and blade, nearly pitch black, contrasting the light from the central fire in The Bannered Mare. She gasped and looked around the table, receiving a mixture of quizzical looks and expressions of admiration. She scowled at the dagger, knowing it came from Erikur, and stuffed it in her knapsack along with the letter. A loud and unceremonious "ahem" broke the group's silence, causing them to look to their left. Standing before them was the Imperial man who would lead the expedition; without saying a word, he simply turned around and made his way back to the upstairs room. The group exchanged looks of curiosity and excitement, then followed.

"Now we really see what we're getting ourselves into," Kashiania replied with a grin on her face. Anja agreed and felt her body fill with anticipation of what was to come.

The OP3RaT0R

Call me Op. Or Smooth.
    Alain watched as the various and diverse interested parties headed downstairs after Marcus' briefing. "Alain, I would advise getting some shut-eye as well. I intend to depart as soon as possible, and it may very well be in four hours when they all return." Alain nodded, wondering where he might catch a nap in the inn. "Sleep well, my friend. We're going to find your father." The thief padded silently out of the room and down the wooden steps, the warmth of the firepit washing over him and seeming to pile lead onto his eyelids.

As his feet wandered to a table in a dim corner of the tavern, beside the door to a private dining room, Alain's mind wandered too. He had seen that all the potential travelling companions seemed to be warriors of some kind, and he knew that warriors often didn't take kindly to thieves. For one thing, the Imperial knew he'd have to tread lightly (literally and metaphorically) and restrain his larcenous blood. He wasn't keen on the idea of ending up without a head simply for a little indulgence, but he let the worries slip from his mind as he put his feet up on the wooden tabletop, pulled up his hood over his eyes, and drifted off.

~~~

"Ahem." Alain woke, refreshed and a little hungry, to the sight of Marcus gathering the group from the bar and directing them back upstairs; he noticed that all who had been at the briefing were heading up, signalling that the group would be a good size for an expedition like this one, not dangerously barebones but not cumbersome either. They all filed into the room once again, and Alain noticed a new face, a slender Bosmer with brilliant red hair and a bow on her back. Another archer? Great, looks like there is someone here I have something in common with. The Imperial leaned back against the wall, waiting for Marcus' final remarks before they set off.

Skyrimosity

Anja had received a fine dagger from a courier. It was a dagger worth admiration and certainly seemed a fine present, especially for someone about to go on an expedition. Anja looked somewhat embarrassed and stuffed it in her knapsack. Edwyn wanted to talk to her about it later.

Then the Imperial came downstairs. He did nothing but nod his head and then expected for the rest to follow him back upstairs. Ardin had practically flown from his chair to follow the man. Everyone else looked around for a few brief moments before following him.

They walked up the stairs, each with a slight look of anticipation mixed with anxiety on their face. Edwyn's main worry was that this Imperial who hadn't even told them his name was going to lead them all straight into their doom.

They all got into the room and a brief silence overcame them. "Now what?", Edwyn said quite loudly.

Melee

I'm back, bitches
    "Well, I intend on leaving as soon as possible. Which reminds me, I must fetch the others, I don't believe it is quite been four hours yet."

Marcus pushed himself up from his chair and headed downstairs to gather the rest of the people who had expressed interest in the endeavor he was planning. As Fen turned to watch him leave, she couldn't help but smile as she imagined what the upcoming expedition would be like. She had never traveled into ruins with a group larger than herself and two or three others, so mingling with people who were most likely unfamiliar with Dwemer ruins and technology was sure to be an interesting experience.

Fen was tracing lines on an imaginary map on the table when Marcus entered the room just a moment later, a Nord man entering just behind him. Humorously hoping that he wasn't the only one planning on joining the expedition, she watched as he gave her a small nod and took a seat at the table. After a throwing a few glances between Marcus and the doorway, he turned to her, and gave her a warm smile as he introduced himself. "Well met, I'm Ardin Wolf's-bane. It's obvious that we are both here for the same reason. I'm sure the others will be here in a moment."

Returning the smile and nodding to the man as she leaned forward to rest her elbows on the table, Fen responded, "The pleasure is mine. I'm Fenditura, but please call me Fen. Much less of a mouthful to say if you're ever trying to get my attention." She let out a short laugh and continued, "I hope you're here to delve into some dangerous Dwemer ruins, or unfortunately for you, you're in the wrong place." Eyes twinkling mischievously, she turned her attention back to the door as more of her future comrades entered the room. Soon, a darkly-clad Imperial, an anxious but excited-looking Nord woman, a Breton man whose skepticism was plainly written on his face, and a young Khajiit woman filed into the room, joining her, Marcus, and Ardin. Seven people, including myself. That doesn't seem like a bad number. Any more and the tunnels leading to the ruins would get too crowded. If these people are competent, which they look to be, then hopefully most of this endeavor won't be too disastrous.

Some of the members who just entered seemed surprised by the small Wood Elf sitting at the table when she clearly had not been present for the initial meeting. Others did not seem to notice her much at all. This seemed to be the case with the Breton, who loudly and a bit impatiently asked, "Now what?" Trying her best to hide a smile and eye roll, Fen looks with the rest of the group at Marcus, who was leaning against the far wall. She didn't know how everyone else was feeling at the moment, but she was eager to start off on their expedition.

Hime

The Mighty Lurk Queen
    There was little that the Khajiit's bright green eyes did not catch, to a flickering emotion that disappeared in an instant to a figure far in the distance. She'd picked up on choice skills on her travels, some not widely liked by others, but one more useful than any. She could read people as if they were books, subtle hints that normal people could not see. She enjoyed watching people in the taverns, just to see the mixture of feelings and mead that loosened them like a hammer prying a nail from a board. Unlike the rest of the group, she didn't feel like drinking, which would have gotten her in a bit of trouble with the other Companions. No one loved their mead more than they after all. Anja was of particular interest to her, hiding both the dagger and her reaction to her mentioning that she was one of the noble hunters. Secrets were gold to Kash after all but she never hid much herself. The moment was broken by a calling of attention by a man she thought to be the employer, directing the group upstairs without uttering a word. Nothing excited her more.
    "Now we really see what we're getting ourselves into," Kashiania replied with a grin on her face.
    Kash stuck to the back of the group for some reason, perhaps a hunter's instinct and to briefly announce to her Shield-brothers and sister that she was leaving for a job. Some protested drunkenly but she disregarded them with a small fond smile. She slipped into the room quietly after everyone else, but she didn't lurk in the shadows as most of her kind did. She sat down without being offered, reclining comfortably in a chair as if it were her own home. She had occasions when she was slightly proud and rash but overall, she thought herself a good person.

Delusional

Much to the young Imperial's pleasure, it appeared that most of the earlier crowd had decided to return, along with a new face. Marcus was rather surprised; usually, there weren't this many adventurers willing to take the risk of embarking on such a enigmatic and potentially dangerous expedition. He took a position in the back of the room, leaning against it with his arms crossed, waiting for his new companions to file in through the door. Once everyone had assembled in the small room, the Breton man from earlier spoke up.

"Now what?"

Marcus smirked slightly and studied the six faces that looked to him expectantly from around the room. He did not respond immediately, instead watching the expressions of these adventurers, all of which he should probably learn the names of. Some seemed eager, some amused, others anxious. It was exactly the reaction he had hoped for. Somehow, through some stroke of luck, he had found six ambitious and willing adventurers who would accompany him in his impossible search. Finally, after several moments of eerie yet excited silence, Marcus cleared his throat.

"Yes, I suppose 'now what' is the appropriate question to be asking right now," Marcus said. "I am very pleased that you all decided to return, along with a new face." The Imperial eyed the young Khajiit who had not been present at the initial meeting, welcoming her with a slight nod.

"Now, we will be departing. I want to get on the move as soon as possible, because our destinations are by no means close by. If all goes well, I would like to be out on the road, with whatever provisions are necessary, in no more than one hour." Marcus paused for a moment, letting his urgency sink in.

"Also, I have realized that I did not properly introduce myself earlier. My name is Marcus Paxillius. I'll learn your names eventually, but for now, since we are somewhat pressed for time, that will have to wait. With this limited time we have, I would like to elaborate a little more on the task on hand, as it would only be fair that you all know where you're going and what exactly you're going to be helping me with." Another pause followed.

"We will be trekking across Skyrim in search of my father within ruins of the Dwemer. I believe I have told you all that at our previous meeting. However, there is more to this story. My father was a scholar. A Dwemer scholar, to be exact. He spent most of his life here in Skyrim researching and studying the Dwemer. I don't know what his research was about or what it entailed, but I do know that that research is why he disappeared.

"This is no doubt some dangerous territory we will be entering. Aside from the treacherous traps of the ruins we will be delving into, the staunch automatons that guard them, and the vile Falmer who inhabit them, whatever he was pursuing was extremely dangerous--dangers that we must now brave if we are to find him." The Imperial paused yet again. This is quite the monologue, he thought.

"Once, and even if, we locate him, I intend to continue this work. He spent too much time slaving away over this research; I can't bring myself to let his entire existence be lost and buried deep within the earth. This means that we too will be venturing into the dangerous domain that was his research, in hopes that we will be able to finish it and solve whatever mystery he was trying to solve.

"If he is alive, which is a notion I have come to severely doubt, then we will only assist him in the completion of his studies. However, I will make mention that it has been close to year since I last saw him, and the likelihood of him still being alive are exponentially low." Marcus pushed himself from the wall he was leaning on and began to pace back and forth slowly, scrutinizing his new companions.

"This is a daunting task. I know. However, questions and concerns will have to come later, as it is time to get ready to depart and hit the road. If you have any things you need to take care of, or belongings you need to gather, go now. We will meet outside the city gates in an hour. If you do not have anything you need to do, then follow me." With that, Marcus grabbed up his few belongings and exited the small room. As he passed through the inn, he tossed the kind innkeeper a small purse of coins that brought a warm smile to her face when she felt its weight. Leaving the inn, he made his way to the city gates, weaving through the throngs of people that occupied the marketplace. As he walked, he realized his heart was pounding. I'm on my way, dad.

Wolfbane

"The pleasure is mine. I'm Fenditura, but please call me Fen. Much less of a mouthful to say if you're ever trying to get my attention." Fen let out a quick laugh before continuing "I hope you're here to delve into some dangerous Dwemer ruins, or unfortunately for you, you're in the wrong place."

Ardin simply agreed by laughing, but that wasn't the case on the inside. 'Unfortunate for me? I haven't been fortunate as of late. Whether it be awake or while I dream. Maybe I haven't won the gods favor.' The creaking of the door and the sight of his new companions brought him back to the present.It wasn't just Fen and Ardin in the room; in walked a darkly dressed imperial, the excited nord woman that he talked to at the bar, the obviously skeptical Breton man, Ardin couldn't blame the skepticism, and then the Khajiit who had just joined. "Now what?"

"Yes, I suppose 'now what' is the appropriate question to be asking right now," The Imperial said. "I am very pleased that you all decided to return, along with a new face." The man looked the young Khajiit over to see the new face that just joined. Ardin was glad, but he was also a little uneasy. The task at hand will be easier with more people, but that means more lives will be on the line, and more memories of fallen faces on his mind if they fail.

"Now, we will be departing. I want to get on the move as soon as possible, because our destinations are by no means close by. If all goes well, I would like to be out on the road, with whatever provisions are necessary, in no more than one hour." Marcus paused for a moment, letting his urgency sink in. 'Well, an hour isn’t a lot of time to gather provisions. I guess he figured whoever took it upon them to help him was already carrying light. For the best I guess. I wouldn’t want to be weighed down, if I do say so myself.'

"Also, I have realized that I did not properly introduce myself earlier. My name is Marcus Paxillius. I'll learn your names eventually, but for now, since we are somewhat pressed for time, that will have to wait. With this limited time we have, I would like to elaborate a little more on the task on hand, as it would only be fair that you all know where you're going and what exactly you're going to be helping me with." Another pause followed. Ardin nodded in agreement, then continued to listen without interruption

"We will be trekking across Skyrim in search of my father within ruins of the Dwemer. I believe I have told you all that at our previous meeting. However, there is more to this story. My father was a scholar. A Dwemer scholar, to be exact. He spent most of his life here in Skyrim researching and studying the Dwemer. I don't know what his research was about or what it entailed, but I do know that that research is why he disappeared.
    "This is no doubt some dangerous territory we will be entering. Aside from the treacherous traps of the ruins we will be delving into, the staunch automatons that guard them, and the vile Falmer who inhabit them, whatever he was pursuing was extremely dangerous--dangers that we must now brave if we are to find him." Ardin began to slightly stir in his chair at the mention of the falmer and the dwarven automatons. Dwemer ruins were dark, sometimes poorly lit, and can make a man feel like a trapped animal; He does not like to feel like an animal. He shook himself out of the thought.

"Once, and even if, we locate him, I intend to continue this work. He spent too much time slaving away over this research; I can't bring myself to let his entire existence be lost and buried deep within the earth. This means that we too will be venturing into the dangerous domain that was his research, in hopes that we will be able to finish it and solve whatever mystery he was trying to solve.” Marcus was obviously set on finding his father’s research and figuring out what he was trying to solve. Ardin respects the drive and commitment, but he wanted to ask how far would Marcus go? What if the mystery wasn’t worth solving? Would the lives that could be lost be worth it? He instead decided to stay quiet and not hold up the rest of the group. 'No use making the others doubt themselves. It will be better to keep to myself, and not get attached.'

"If he is alive, which is a notion I have come to severely doubt, then we will only assist him in the completion of his studies. However, I will make mention that it has been close to year since I last saw him, and the likelihood of him still being alive are exponentially low” His head was following Marcus as he continued to talk. His leg began to bounce up and down due to the anticipation, whether it was good or bad, he didn’t know. He was just ready to get to it and get it over with.

"This is a daunting task. I know. However, questions and concerns will have to come later, as it is time to get ready to depart and hit the road. If you have any things you need to take care of, or belongings you need to gather, go now. We will meet outside the city gates in an hour. If you do not have anything you need to do, then follow me.

Marcus’s voice became fainter and fainter as he was making his way out of the Inn. “Well, let’s not waste any time.” He got up and walked out of the room to retrieve the rest of his gear; which wasn’t much. All he needed was to put his upper armor on, gather his belongings, and safely store the gifted arrowhead he received when times were better. After going to his room, and getting his armor on, he picked up his pack and the arrowhead, then remembering the happier times as he was walking to the front gate. ‘The air was cool, wind that smelled of fresh flowers, and the only sounds were of running water, friendly voices, and the clashing of steel in training. It was one of the only times where It felt almost of a dream then, as it does now. One could almost forget the good memories once a bad event overshadows it’ As he was remembering, he got what was left and went to the main gate and waited for the rest of the group.

Delusional

It was about noon when the group had assembled outside Whiterun's massive wooden gates, and the sun shined brightly overhead. A light breeze rolled gently over the hills and whistled through the dilapidated stone walls that ran around the city's perimeter, made of very little besides crumbling brick and rock that have worn down through the ages.

The guards that stood watch outside the gates looked straight forward with stone faces, though Marcus thought he saw one of them eying the small group with a tinge of curiosity, quickly returning to the straight forward stare they were probably paid to hold after he noticed Marcus watching him.

"Alright, it appears that we're all here. If there's nothing else that anyone needs to take care of here, in Whiterun, then I suppose we should probably depart." With that short remark, the Imperial turned to face the plains that stretched out before them. He reached into a small side pocket and drew out a folded parchment that contained a finely hand-drawn map of Skyrim. On it, small scribbles marked the yellowed landscape. Lines ran across the page, circles surrounded certain locations; illegible annotations were scrawled in the spaces in between. Marcus neatly folded the wrinkled map and stuck it back in his pocket after just a quick glance.

Without a word, he pulled his worn leather hood over his head and started down the path and off into the golden, sunlit expanse before him, with the peaks of the distant mountains towering in the background. After several silent minutes, with Whiterun growing further and further behind them, Marcus cleared his throat.

"So, who are you all?"

Wolfbane

"Alright, it appears that we're all here. If there's nothing else that anyone needs to take care of here, in Whiterun, then I suppose we should probably depart." The plains unraveled like a map come to life, while the clouds in the sky moved about. Marcus went to his side pocket and produced a wrinkled map and examined it with intent. After some time, he stuffed it back in his pocket, pulled his leather hood over his head and began walking down the path. Silence and their own footsteps accompanied them for several moments, while whiterun became further from gaze.Marcus cleared his throat and broke the silence, "So, who are you all?" Ardin looked down from where he was gazing and answered with a short and precise tone, "Ardin Wolf's-bane" He went back to silence, and gripped his sword.

Sounds of birds, animals, and running water filled the air around them. This brought peace to his mind and he let go of his sword. The cracking of twigs and leaves reminded him of when he was a boy and his father would teach him how to shoot with a bow with his brother. Ardin and his brother didn't want to hunt. Not unless they needed to. Even now he struggles with the dilemma that hunting and skinning an animal brings up. It has gotten a bit easier over time. He looked over his company and promised that no matter what he'll be at their backs, fighting along side. No matter what He he rested his left hand on the right one which found it's way on the handle of the sword.

Skyrimosity

The group had gathered near the gates of Whiterun, and when all were assembled they set off. They had only walked for a short while, Whiterun still visible behind them, when Marcus asked "So, who are you all?" Edwyn waited a moment, he wanted to see what others would say. That's about when a Nord spoke and told his name. He was Ardin Wolf's-bane. And all he said was his name.

Edwyn didn't talk much, but he wasn't going with that short of an introduction. He'd be around these people a lot, and with the exception of Anja had yet to really meet any of them. "I'm Edwyn. From Daggerfall City back in High Rock. Been living here in Skyrim some 20 years now, living off of various odd jobs. I figured I might as well do something useful for once and decided to join up with this expedition. Finally accomplish something besides killing some skeevers."

That was good, Edwyn though after finishing his statement. Said who he was, and made him seem like a genuinely good guy. Of course, Edwyn had already told Anja why he joined the expedition: valuables. But she seemed like she would know what not to say and sense that Edwyn had a reason for saying what he did. Edwyn wanted to be liked, and if he was the only one who was there for treasure he would be hated. And the hated ones are the ones who get left behind in some trap as Falmer close in.

Irish

Thane of Solitude
    "I suppose I should ready myself should any...mishaps occur along the way," Anja thought. She rented an inn room, changed into her leather armor with matching bracers and boots, then equipped her glass bow and quiver. She quickly threw her hair into a low ponytail and placed her most prized and loved possession, a sapphire and silver Circlet of Major Archery her father gave her on her 15th birthday, carefully on her head. Anja rifled through her knapsack, took inventory (grimacing at the ebony dagger), and made her way out of The Bannered Mare. She met up with the others at the entry gates of Whiterun and once they were all assembled, Marcus suggested they set off towards their destination.

"So, who are you all?" asked Marcus. She heard Ardin introduce himself, fall silent, then grip his sword. Anja flashed Edwyn a look of uncertainty. Surely, there was more to the Nord beneath his quiet, often awkward exterior, but breaking down those walls would have to come at a later time. She had more pressing things to think about, such as reflecting over the particulars of the expedition.

"I'm Edwyn. From Daggerfall City back in High Rock. Been living here in Skyrim some 20 years now, living off of various odd jobs. I figured I might as well do something useful for once and decided to join up with this expedition. Finally accomplish something besides killing some skeevers." Anja smiled to herself and nodded to her new friend. She knew he was leaving out a few details, but felt his reasons were his own and she held no judgment. He trusted her enough to be upfront and she'd be damned if she would break his confidence; after all, Edwyn was the first friend she'd made since leaving Solitude. She was grateful to have met him. She looked around at the others and introduced herself.

"I'm Anja. I've lived in Skyrim all my life; I was born and raised in Helgen and until recently, lived with my former husband in Solitude. I inititally ventured to Whiterun to join the Companions and seek honor," she said flashing a look at Kashiania, "but found your notice and felt I should test my mettle before knocking down the doors of Jorrvaskr and asking to become initiated. However, I do feel your cause is a noble one, Marcus, and I'm happy to lend whatever assistance I can on this expedition."

Anja nodded her salutation to the others, particularly the Bosmer woman, with whom she hadn't seen before nor spoken. She noted the bow and quiver strapped to her back and was glad to have her along. Anja admired the serene surroundings and fell silent into her own thoughts. She wished she hadn't waited so long to escape her "prison" in Solitude, but none of that mattered at the moment. The only thing important, presently, was mentally preparing herself for what lay ahead.

Melee

I'm back, bitches
    Sun shining high in the clear blue expanse of sky above them, the group assembled outside Whiterun's gates and prepared for their expedition, gazing over the rocky plain as Marcus took one last glance at a weathered, yellowing map that was covered in markings and scrawled bits of writing. He tucked it away into a pocket and threw his hood over his face before briskly starting off without a word, surprising Fen (and some of the others as well) so that she had to jog to catch up with him. This man is interesting, Fen mused. He requests help yet does not seem to want to accept it, and seems uncomfortable in a group. Hopefully with so many other people he'll learn how to socialize. Her thoughts were broken as she heard him clear his throat and ask, "So, who are you all?"

Holding back a short laugh, Fen couldn't help but smile at how straightforward and slightly awkward this man was. Be nice, Fen. This man is looking for his father, and although your laughter isn't malicious, he could take it that way. Not a good way to start a long journey with someone! Exhaling deeply, she relaxed and looked around at everyone as they introduced themselves. One of the other archers in the group gave just his name, Ardin Wolf's-bane. It seems that our leader is not the only man of few words, she thought to herself. He seemed deep in thought and watched his hand move instinctively to the hilt of a sword as his eyes traveled over the different faces around him. As his eyes briefly passed over her, she smiled and nodded to him, hitching her bow and quiver into a more comfortable position without realizing it.

The next to introduce themselves was the Breton, stating his name was Edwyn. He gave more information than the last man did, telling everyone where he came from and why he decided to join the expedition. He seems nice enough. Must have plenty of useful skills if he's survived on odd jobs up until now. One of the other women, Anja, spoke up after Edwyn has finished talking. She did not seem as experienced to combat as some of the others, despite her glass bow and armor that she wore proudly. But she seemed determined to prove herself, and Fen knew that determination could make a world of difference when it came to fighting. That and she doubted that anyone who was a novice archer would just buy a glass bow because it looked pretty.

So far it doesn't seem like there are any unsavory characters in our group. These people all seem agreeable and kind enough. This could certainly turn out well! Taking the brief silence as her opportunity to speak, Fen launched into her own introduction. "I'm Fen. Bit of a Dwemer nut. If we're all going into why we're here, I guess my fascination with their technology is what first drew me to the note we all saw. Once I heard the whole story, I knew I had to join." Looking around at everyone else, she smiled widely and blew some stray strands of hair out of her face. "I look forward to getting to know you all better."

The OP3RaT0R

Call me Op. Or Smooth.
    Alain observed quietly as members of the group began to get acquainted, introducing themselves and sharing what brought them to Marcus' expedition. Ardin Wolf's-Bane, seemingly a man of few words; Edwyn, a Breton coming from a string of odd jobs around Skyrim; Anja, an aspiring Companion; and Fen, the self-proclaimed Dwemer nut. Since almost everyone else had spoken up, Alain decided he would be next.

"I'm Alain," the Imperial began cautiously. "I'm... something of an adventurer and a risk-taker, so that's partly why I'm here. I'm also an old friend of Marcus, so of course I'm going to help him find his father."

He had avoided the mammoth in the room in his introduction, his obvious Thieves Guild armor, and was a bit relieved to see that at the least, if the others had really noticed it, they didn't show much displeasure. Fen still smiled broadly, and everyone in the group appeared amicable, with the exception of reserved Ardin. "So, Marcus, where are we headed first?"

Delusional

Marcus listened intently as a majority of the group introduced themselves, silently cataloging their names and sizing them up. There was Ardin Wolf's-Bane, who spoke little and appeared somewhat apprehensive and cautious about the expedition; Edwyn, a somewhat vague Breton; Anja, who seemed to be both adventurous and kind; Fen, the Bosmer who he had met privately in his room, a Dwemer enthusiast. Thank the gods that I've been graced with a Dwemer expert on this trip. There's no doubt she will prove extremely useful to the integrity and success of this mission, Marcus thought, almost relieved.

"So, Marcus, where are we headed first?" Alain was the next to introduce himself, prompting Marcus for their destination following his introduction.

"Our first destination?" Marcus paused, thinking. What was their first destination? He had about a dozen locations marked on the map; which one would be their first stop?

"Mzinchaleft." It seemed to just roll off his tongue as he thought, and he didn't realize what he said until several moments after. Well, Mzinchaleft is as good as a place as any to start.

Almost immediately following his revelation of their destination, Marcus turned to face his new companions, noticing that one had yet to speak up--the Khajiit.

"And who are you? I don't believe you've introduced yourself yet."

The Khajiit seemed as if she were about to reply, but a distant shout interrupted her. Marcus turned back to face the source of the shout, squinting to see the man running towards them in the distance.

"Who the hell is that?" Marcus asked, confused. He couldn't understand what the man was shouting, but whatever it was, it appeared to be an urgent matter.

"Kash! Kash!" the man cried out as he stumbled up from behind the group, out of breath. "Kash! We need you back at Jorrvaskr! Something has come up and it requires your assistance."

With but one sympathetic look back at the group, the Khajiit, whose name was evidently Kash, nodded to the man and began to follow him back to Whiterun. Shaking his head, Marcus turned back and started off down the path again, heading for the great white Skyrim north.

The OP3RaT0R

Call me Op. Or Smooth.
    Marcus turned to hear from the Khajiit, who had so far followed along silently. "And who are you? I don't believe you've introduced yourself yet." She seemed about to answer, but a yell from down the road interrupted that plan. "Who the hell is that?"

A man, warrior by the looks of his garb, ran to meet the group, panting heavily. "Kash! We need you back at Jorrvaskr! Something has come up and it requires your assistance." A bit puzzled, Alain looked on as the Khajiit apologetically nodded and split off, following the warrior man. A pregnant silence ensued for a moment as the group continued, until Alain spoke up again.

"Hmm. Mzinchaleft is somewhere south of Dawnstar, right?" From what Alain had heard, Mzinchaleft was one of the larger known Dwemer ruins in Skyrim. He'd never gotten around that way much before, though, so he wasn't totally sure what to expect. Also, it would be his first major sojourn into something of Dwemer origin; as he generally liked to travel light and alone, even the ambitious Imperial knew that delving into such a place alone would be too risky. "Marc, you remember that Nord warrior woman, Mjoll, I think? Wasn't that the ruin she always talked about losing her sword in?"

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts