• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, and welcome to our roleplaying section. Please take some time to read two of these useful resources below, if you're already a roleplaying expert, then there's no need to read the following beginner's guide, but be sure to read the rules.

Free Form Role Playing Guide for Beginners
    JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.

Delusional

Connoisseur of Hallucinations
    “I never thought this would happen. I never thought that I would lose him. Throughout my entire life, I never imagined this. I never imagined it would happen this way. After losing my mother the way I did… I can’t bear to lose my father in the same manner. What could I do? I could look for him. I could embark on a journey, not ceasing until I have some sort of closure. But that’s not what I did. I wandered. I traveled Skyrim as I had been doing, a lost soul, trying to forget about it, trying to block it all out of my mind.

Ha, that didn’t work.

No, that didn’t work at all. I was miserable. Trying to bottle it all up… it just eats at you. Eats away at your humanity. Your sanity.

So here I am now. Here I am to do what I once feared. Here I am to begin the search for him. My father. I will find him. I will find him, and I will find his research. And for his sake, I will continue it. To honor him and his life, this I will do.”

To honor him and his life, this I will do. The words echoed through Marcus’ mind as he closed the journal, empty up until this point. He was never one for documenting his pasts, but he felt like the occasion warranted it.

Marcus looked up from the worn journal to the gaze upon the vista before him. The golden plains of Whiterun Hold stretched out in all directions, with the glorious city of Whiterun seated in the center, keeping a watchful eye from its commanding location, all cast in the sun’s early morning glow. Mountains shrouded in morning mists rose from the horizon in the distance, their snow-capped peaks reaching for the sky.

Marcus rose from the bluff where he was seated and dusted off his ratty leather armor before setting off down the well-traveled path. A leather swordbelt swung idly from his hip as he walked; a yew longbow was slung across his back, along with a small quiver of steel-tipped arrows.

Running a gloved hand through his greasy hair, Marcus sighed, exhausted. It had been days since he had last slept; the journey here had been taxing. Though his legs ached and begged for respite, he continued down the path and into the expansive plains, headed for Whiterun.

By the time he reached the city, the sun had risen above the horizon and the people of Whiterun were beginning their day. Bustling crowds had already gathered in the market, browsing the stalls’ wares, from imported fish and clam to fine jewelry. Marcus weaved through the throngs of citizens and slipped through the door of the Bannered Mare Tavern.

The fire had just been stoked, and an inviting aroma met the weary Imperial man as he entered the tavern. Fresh baked bread, he concluded. His mouth began to water; he had not realized how hungry he was. It had been at least two days since he last at a full meal, after all. Marcus approached a vacant wall of the tavern and used a rusted iron dagger to impale a small parchment in the wooden wall.

“Looking for adventurous individuals to assist in expedition. See Imperial upstairs for details.”

After the note had been tacked to the wall, Marcus stopped at the bar counter, purchasing a room, along with a loaf of warm, soft bread, a thick, steaming vegetable broth and a bottle of fine wine before ascending the stairs and disappearing behind the door. He trusted that any adventurer who wished to inquire further about this offer would be smart enough to peek behind the door in their search for this employer.

The room was not large by any means, but it suited Marcus’ needs sufficiently. A small bed was nestled along the wall in the far corner of the room, neatly fixed and clean. A nightstand adjacent to the bed held a small candle, its flame flickering as wax slowly dripped down into the brass holder. Marcus took a seat at a table tucked away in a second corner, setting his food down around the cast iron lantern that occupied most of the modest table’s surface.

Now, I wait, Marcus thought idly as he tore off a morsel of bread and began to eat his meal.

Andrewthunder

"what is the most valuable to steal" Pride
    Since Andie left the comfort & stability she had in the windhelm guard, she left because of the racism in the city guard, & her adventourous nature somehow wanted her to go to whiterun, its been 5 years since she saw it last so when she finally reached the gates, she was so hungry so starved, after that day riding with almost no food, she walked heavy steps, as she has before as she entered the bannered mare, walked up to bar counter paid for a bottle of mead, and looked at the Parchment with the rusty dagger that said “Looking for adventurous individuals to assist in expedition. See Imperial upstairs for details.”, she took a giant slurp of her mead, went upstairs & heard a conversation inside, she didn't want to intrude so she waited paitiently outside.

The OP3RaT0R

Call me Op. Or Smooth.
    Alain found himself in Whiterun, at the behest of his old friend Marcus. Since their first meeting some five years earlier, the men had kept in touch as best they could despite both of their very active, mobile lives; and on the occasions when they found their paths crossing, they always made the most of that time. When one knew in advance that they would be in town at the same time as the other, a friendly letter usually went out ahead of time; Alain had indicated in his last correspondence that he planned to spend a few weeks seeing all that Whiterun had to offer, and it was a week prior that he had received a reply from Marcus - the Imperial wanted to meet in the tavern, his last letter had said, but it betrayed some ominous knowledge that Marcus apparently wanted to share in person. So there Alain was, in the crowded public room of the Bannered Mare.

He watched Marcus wearily enter, post a notice, and head upstairs, all from the shadows. So, whatever is happening here, he doesn't want just he and I in on it. Whatever this problem of his is, it must be bigger than just he and I. Unnoticed, Alain habitually slid his hand into the pocket of a passing patron of the inn and extracted a small ruby. He turned to head upstairs, but another passerby necessitated he lighten the man of his pockets' load. I hope this trip includes a ruin, not much gold to be had here. Alain was by no means light in the coin purse, but there was no thrill in swiping a low-risk item from some infinitesimal fish in the sea of humanity. If he wanted a real challenge, he'd have to hit someplace more heavily guarded and more heavily laden with coin. Like Dragonsreach, the Imperial thought with a tinge of melancholy - whatever journey Marcus proposed to take him on would leave no time for such a heist. Nonetheless, a chance for some real fun would arise eventually.

Silently and unnoticed, Alain hopped up to grab the lip of the second floor of the inn, the little balcony that overlooked the inn's main hall being the backdoor to the room Marcus had entered, inaccessible by most. Alain was not most, which he demonstrated as he swung his body over the low wall that gave the occupant of that room some privacy. The door into the room was open, and Alain quietly slid through, finding Marcus sitting at a table eating. "Marcus!" Marcus looked amused but not surprised as he turned to witness Alain's antics; through all this, the man's worry was evident.

Delusional

"Marcus!" a very familiar voice called out as the door to the room opened slightly, allowing in no one other than Alain. Marcus smirked at the sight of his old friend, amused, yet unsurprised. Marcus beckoned for the Imperial thief to join him at the table, to which he obliged, taking a seat in the vacant chair.

"Well, look who it is." Marcus chuckled as he bit into the loaf of bread again. "How have you been? It has certainly been some time since we've seen each other." Marcus set the bread down on the table and reached for the unopened bottle of wine, uncorking it and taking a sip. It wasn't the best wine, not at all, but it would suffice. After all, it was better than nothing, and it had been more than a fortnight since he last had a drink.

"I'm glad you were able to come, Alain. I'm going to need a good friend by my side for this expedition." Marcus set the wine bottle down and leaned forward, resting his forearms against the table.

"So, I suppose you want some more details regarding this 'expedition', huh?" Alain responded with a curious nod, leaning forward onto the table as well.

"You remember me mentioning my father when we first became friends in Riften, yes?" Marcus paused while Alain nodded again. "Well, he disappeared about half a year ago, and I have finally decided to set out and search for him and all of his research." The Imperial ran a hand through his hair, sighing.

"Honestly, I don't know where he went, or even if he's still alive. It's a daunting task, which is why I've posted up the notice downstairs." Marcus leaned back in his chair. "So, are you with me?"

The OP3RaT0R

Call me Op. Or Smooth.
    "Well, look who it is. How have you been? It has certainly been some time since we've seen each other."

"I've been well," Alain replied, taking a seat across the table. "Scaled the largest of the Druadach Mountains, climbed to the Ruins of Rkund - now there's a story for sometime later - and jumped Bard's Leap Summit. Not to mention that my income has been picking up over the last few months." Alain took the bottle of wine Marcus had just sipped and poured some in a tankard. It smelled like typical cheap tavern wine, so Alain sparked a flame spell into his palm and held it under his tankard for a moment. Steam began to rise a little, and Alain relented; this was about the extent of his knowledge of the Destruction school, and he had no issue with that, being a bow man. "Ah, there we go."

"I'm glad you were able to come, Alain. I'm going to need a good friend by my side for this expedition." Marcus leaned forward. "You know I'm glad to be here," he remarked with a nod.

"So, I suppose you want some more details regarding this 'expedition', huh? You remember me mentioning my father when we first became friends in Riften, yes?" Alain nodded without comment, allowing his friend to continue. "Well, he disappeared about half a year ago, and I have finally decided to set out and search for him and all of his research. Honestly, I don't know where he went, or even if he's still alive. It's a daunting task, which is why I've posted up the notice downstairs."

Alain's previously happy countenance dulled a little; Alain had heard well of Marcus' father over the years, and he didn't like to see his usually ambivalent and free friend burdened as he was. "So, are you with me?"

"I am indeed." Before Alain could bring up any change in the conversation, a knock came from the door. "Looks like someone read your note."

Melee

I'm back, bitches
    A crisp breeze was blowing through the city of Whiterun, signaling the start of the seasonal change from summer to autumn. It would soon become colder, and even the heartiest of Nords would feel compelled to wear some kind of coat before going outside. The citizens were making the most of the warm time that they had left; the market and streets were bustling with activity. Merchants shouted out prices and conditions of their wares, horse-drawn carts transported food and packages up and down the cobbled roads, and the clang of the blacksmith hard at work could be heard over everything.

That was always Fen's first stop whenever she was visiting a new city. She had been living in Solitude for years now, and had come to memorize what metals the blacksmith had in stock and when. New blacksmiths were like miniature adventures for the young Wood Elf. She never knew what she would find, although more often than not, the metals she was really interested in were too rare to be had in useful amounts.

Warmaiden's was no exception. Although the pieces inside were spectacularly forged, it was all steel and iron. Fen purchased a few copper scraps to fiddle with and continued down the street. She didn't need anymore scraps; in fact one of her smaller bags was almost tearing at the seams from the weight of metal bits it carried, but she couldn't pass them up no matter how hard she tried.

Fen finally reached the inn, and upon stepping inside, discovered it was no less busy than the market just outside the door. A fire was roaring in the corner, and the sounds of laughter and good-natured yelling filled the air. A few suspicious eyes followed her as she headed toward the counter to get some food and a room for the night, but she was oblivious to whatever might have been happening behind her. After a moment's consideration, she ordered a salmon steak and some bread and carried it over to one of the more vacant areas of the tavern so as not feel intrusive. After eating just a few bites of her food, Fen found herself practically devouring her meal while her eyes roamed the walls of the inn. The firelight glinted off something metallic in the corner, and drew Fen over to find that it was an old dagger pinning a note to the wooden post in the wall.

“Looking for adventurous individuals to assist in expedition. See Imperial upstairs for details.”

Fen couldn't help but chuckle to herself as she read the short message scrawled on the paper. Adventurous individuals, hmm? Fen looked around and stood still for a minute, a pondering look on her face. Without much warning she bounded back to her table and threw her bag over her shoulder, glancing up the darkened stairs that led to the inn's rooms. That note was just vague enough to make me curious. I guess I'll just have to investigate.

Reaching the top of the steps, Fen saw a women waiting outside the door at the end of the hall. The absence of light and her distance from Fen made it hard to determine what she looked like or what she was doing, but she knew it had to do with the note that was downstairs. Wearing a sincere smile and giving her a small nod of acknowledgement, Fen opened the door next to the room the woman was waiting outside of, acting as if she were simply a traveler seeking only lodging for the night. She closed the door and threw her bag onto her bed, then quickly and quietly moved over to the wall and pressed her ear gently against it in hopes of catching bits of the conversation. I'm not eavesdropping, she thought, I just want some more information before I decide to join them. Making sure she wasn't leaning against the wall or making too much noise, Fen listened as she heard someone move toward the door, awaiting conversation that would shed light on the note and its writer.

Skyrimosity

A Breton man sat in a particularly dark table inside The Bannered Mare Tavern. He had come to the Bannered Mare not too long after sunset for a simple breakfast but he stayed, as he was oft to do, to listen to the many conversations between others inside the tavern.
    This man was named Edwyn.

Edwyn often visited the town of Whiterun for small jobs to gain a few Septims and it was exactly for that reason he was in Whiterun now. He had noticed a small dagger holding a note to a wall but had thought nothing of it. Probably a lost family sword that needed to be found or something like that.

And so Edwyn continued to order the occasional drink and listen in to all the conversations around the Inn. He noticed a woman, probably some sort of warrior, read the note and react by quickly walking up the stairs. Edwyn thought little of it.

Not very long after, a Wood Elf woman entered the Inn. She seemed rather normal and simply ordered a bit of food. Ordering the salmon was nothing weird; it was considered the specialty of the Bannered Mare. She also took a look at the note before heading upstairs. Obviously there was something in the note worth taking a look at.

Edwyn rose from his seat slowly and stood for a moment before heading over to read the note.

Edwyn thought for a moment. "Expeditions. Usually those involve some form of exploring and a decent pay off." Edwyn checked his Septim pouch and was reminded once more its lightness. He could certainly use some money. He decided, then, to at least get some details about the expedition.

He walked quickly up the stairs and saw in front of one of the doors the same woman who had checked the note earlier. The one just before the Wood Elf had entered. Edwyn supposed that this was the door the Imperial was inside so he walked near the door and leaned against the wall, waiting for the door to open. Edwyn gave a slight nod and a smile to the woman waiting outside the door, as if to say "Hope this is worthwhile".

Irish

Thane of Solitude
    Anja leaned against the wall perpendicular to the door of the upstairs bedroom at The Bannered Mare and returned the Breton man's smile. She closed her eyes as her mind began to wander and think of possible scenarios as to why the note's author was recruiting adventurers. Were they going to delve into some cave and find riches or navigate their way through one of the many Nordic ruins? Anja shrugged and figured she and the Breton would find out soon enough. She consciously touched the sheath that held her steel sword as her excitement began to build. Looking to break the ice with the fellow inquirer, she said, "Any idea of what we may be getting ourselves into?"

The Breton man paused. "No clue, but let's hope that whatever it is, it is worth our time. The name's Edwyn, by the way."

Anja nodded in agreement. "I'm Anja. Nice to meet you, Edwyn," she politely replied. She began to chew her bottom lip, as she was wont to do, and fiddled with her wedding ring. She sighed as she thought about the life she left behind in Solitude and concluded that she had made the right decision to leave. Her husband, Erikur, had been none too pleased at her departure, claiming she had duties and appearances to keep as the wife of a Thane. He told her that she was an embarrassment for leaving his side and that her dreams of joining the Companions and making a name for herself were nothing but capricious nonsense. Women belonged at their husband's side, Erikur had argued, especially if their husbands were affluent and prominent members of society.

Rolling her eyes, she took off the wedding ring and put it in her satchel. Feeling Edwyn's quizzical gaze on her, she smiled awkwardly and looked to her left as the door opened. Standing before them was a weary Imperial man who motioned for them to enter. Drawing in a big breath, Anja walked into the room.

Wolfbane

Why change the past when you can own this day?
    Looking for adventurous individuals to assist in expedition. See Imperial upstairs for details.He had just turned in a bounty to the Jarl that was for a unruly fugitive. Nothing to fancy. While Ardin was drinking his mead, he had notice a sudden influx of people in the inn. He was twirling a septim between his fingers, thinking about his friends and family. 'Had it been that long ago? It seems like yesterday that I saw the fire. I need to think about that task at hand, not the past. May the gods watch over father and mother. I wonder how Hendrikk and Avia are doing? No matter for now.' He looked down at the piece of paper and chuckled, 'This isn't my normal bounty, but I like new adventures. it get can get tiring doing the same old type of job. I guess I should go upstairs and see what this note is about.' He put the septims down, and went upstairs, he decided to wait until he was let in. After all, it would be considered rude to just bust in without in invitation. There was a chair near by, so he decided to wait until he was let in.

Delusional

Marcus lifted himself from the table slowly, taking a final sip of wine before making his way to the door. He didn't expect too many to have taken up the offering, as it was rather vague, and he had planned on spending the day here in the Bannered Mare waiting for recruits and interested adventurers.

Marcus swung the door open casually and was greeted by more recruits than he had expected. Four new, somewhat eager faces waited outside the room. The weary Imperial studied each one for several seconds before stepping back and gesturing for the four to enter the room with him. Two women, two men, each appearing to vary in skillsets. This is looking promising already...

Marcus waited until all of the recruits had been ushered inside before returning to his seat at the table, which he eased himself down into. He was exhausted. The sooner I debrief them, the sooner I can get some sleep.

"Alright, so, I assume all of you are here because you read the note I had posted downstairs. Vague, yes. Perhaps that is the reason it piqued your interest. Either way, I suppose I should elaborate on the task at hand." Marcus rubbed his eyes briefly before continuing.

"I will be searching for a man and his research. This man was devoted to his research, which he slaved over almost his entire life. This man is my father. I intend on tracking him down, dead or alive, and continuing his research." He leaned back in his chair, resigned.

"So, are you all in? If not, then you may leave and return to your everyday life, or whatever it was you were doing before this note intrigued you. Otherwise, we might as well hit the road."

Wolfbane

He turned to the Imperial, then nodded his head. "I'm in. Wouldn't be here if I wasn't. I can't speak for anyone else though. Is there anything else we need to know? I'm ready to go as soon as everybody else is." He looked around the room and noted all the capable warriors in the room. It would be interesting to see how this group would work as a whole. He is looking forward to working with these people and helping this imperial find his father. Ardin knows how it feels to lose a parent. He lost both his mom and dad. He leaned against the wall and played with the dagger Avia gifted him. Thinking about his family made him sad. 'At least Hendrikk and Avia are safe. It makes it somewhat easier.' "How dangerous is this? I've been in a Dwemer ruin. That thing was filled with traps. Although I suppose that's why you made the note so vague?"

He then leaned back and waited for the imperial to answer. He didn't want to bombard him with questions right in the beginning. "Knowledge is a power that sometimes needs to be kept secret" He said this quietly to himself. Sometimes knowledge is a tool that leads to man's ultimate demise.

Delusional

Marcus surveyed the room, studying the faces of the diverse crowd before him. It was certainly a different set of people he would have chosen, had he the opportunity to, but then again, he had no idea of their skills. He wasn't one to judge a book by its cover, per se. One man, the one who appeared to be a warrior of some kind, spoke up first, breaking the eerie silence that had been ushered in following Marcus' debriefing.

"I'm in. Wouldn't be here if I wasn't. I can't speak for anyone else though. Is there anything else we need to know? I'm ready to go as soon as everybody else is." He nodded as he spoke, clearly sold on the expedition. Marcus leaned forward, ready to respond, when he continued. "How dangerous is this? I've been in a Dwemer ruin. That thing was filled with traps. Although I suppose that's why you made the note so vague?"

Marcus cleared his throat when the man had finished speaking. "Yes, there is more to this expedition than I am divulging now, and I may share it with you later into the expedition, should you accompany me. As for how dangerous this expedition is, I cannot answer that. I am not sure how dangerous the ruins that we will be traversing are, to be completely honest." Marcus reclined in his chair, ready to retire for the night.

"The vagueness and enigmatic approach to this was intended to weed out the skeptical. I want explorers and adventurers who will commit to this expedition." Marcus stood slowly.

"However, I need to get some sleep," the Imperial remarked, stretching. "Judging by the blank stares, most of you are unsure of whether or not you wish to accompany me. Go think about it, and return in four hours' time." Marcus watched as the possible recruits filed out of the room, headed off to waste time while Marcus slept.

"Alain, I would advise getting some shut-eye as well. I intend to depart as soon as possible, and it may very well be in four hours when they all return." With that, Marcus ushered his old friend Alain out the door and collapsed on the bed, exhausted. Father, I'm coming for you.

Skyrimosity

"Yes, there is more to this expedition than I am divulging now, and I may share it with you later into the expedition, should you accompany me. As for how dangerous this expedition is, I cannot answer that. I am not sure how dangerous the ruins that we will be traversing are, to be completely honest." Edwyn didn't care much about danger. In fact, danger was good. More people who died going down there in previous times, the more good treasure was still left.

"The vagueness and enigmatic approach to this was intended to weed out the skeptical. I want explorers and adventurers who will commit to this expedition." Edwyn was kind of happy that the weak would be weeded out early on. Better early than later on, when they would be weeded out via sword and/or arrow.

"However, I need to get some sleep," the Imperial remarked, stretching. "Judging by the blank stares, most of you are unsure of whether or not you wish to accompany me. Go think about it, and return in four hours' time."

Four hours was a bit much, perhaps. Still, the group of people left the room and all headed downstairs. Some would rent a room to get a bit of rest. Edwyn had had enough rest. Now was as good a time as any for a good drink.

A couple of drinks later and Edwyn was in a good mood. Smiling and making a bit of conversation with the occasional passer-by. It was then he noticed the Nord he had met earlier enter the room. For a brief moment, he couldn't remember her name.

"Anja!" Edwyn's voice yelled from the rather crowded bar. He had kind of thought aloud a bit. The woman looked a little surprised. "Come sit down! Have a drink!" Anja seemed a bit skeptical at first but was making her way over to Edwyn.

Though it may have come off that Edwyn was flirting a bit, that wasn't the case. He wanted to see why Anja was interested in going on the expedition.

Irish

Thane of Solitude
    I really need to think about this. I suppose I could take a short tour of Whiterun then come back here and have a few rounds of ale, Anja thought to herself as she followed the others downstairs. Although she'd never delved inside of a Dwemer ruin and really had no idea of what to expect, she assumed by the blank stares of the others and the serious tone of the Imperial man's voice that there was bound to be some degree of risk involved. Shrugging, she opened to door out to Whiterun.

Anja browsed each stall in the marketplace, bought a silver ruby ring (which she learned was crafted by Eorlund Gray-Mane himself), and continued her way up the northern staircase to get a good look at Jorrvaskr. She spent around an hour or two sitting on the bench adjacent to the mead hall of the Companions, pondering her next move. Feeling satisfied in her decision, she walked back to The Bannered Mare.

"Anja!" Turning, Anja found the Breton man named Edwyn sitting at a table. "Come sit down! Have a drink!" Relieved to see a familiar face in the unfamiliar city, she happily made her way towards the Breton.

"Thank you, Edwyn," said Anja as she picked up a tankard of lukewarm mead and took a swig. She took a seat and felt herself relax, giving Edwyn a friendly smile as she raised her drink. "To adventure!"

"To adventure! Say, what did you think of what the Imperial was telling up there, about the note? Are you in?"

Anja quickly finished her mead and replied, "Well, I originally came to Whiterun to join the Companions to escape my stagnant life in Solitude. Anyhow, I stopped here for some refreshments, saw the letter, and got curious. I'm going to go for it; if not for sympathy towards his cause, but to test my mettle before joining the Companions. What about you, Edwyn," she asked. Ordering another round of mead and a sweet roll, Anja began to anticipate his response.

Wolfbane

"The vagueness and enigmatic approach to this was intended to weed out the skeptical. I want explorers and adventurers who will commit to this expedition." Ardin simply nodded, then began to get up from his spot. "However, I need to get some sleep," the Imperial then stretched from fatigue. "Judging by the blank stares, most of you are unsure of whether or not you wish to accompany me. Go think about it, and return in four hours' time." He then started to walk down the stair and towards the room he paid for. He looked towards the bar and saw the Nord and Breton talking. He nodded to both of them and heading to his room. When he got there, he sat on the bed, then took his armor off to where he could sleep comfortably. He then leaned his sword against the wall. "This should be interesting. It get's boring traveling and fighting by yourself. Not to mention you can have someone watch your back. Come on, this isn't going to be all about fighting. It's going to be social as well. You're in a group, you need to talk to the people in it. I mean, you don't have to, but it's not enjoyable most of the time, now is it?" He leaned back on the bed, then began to think. 'I need to make myself seem more open and friendly. Don't want them thinking I'm some brute only in it for the gold. I sympathize with the Imperial, I really do. I'll try my best to introduce myself to the others. I'm going to be spending quite some time with them, so might as well get to know them and start forming friendships sooner rather than later. I'm also interested in seeing what we find and where we go. We'll all find out in due time. For now, I need to get some sleep." He took a deep breath, then relaxed until sleep took him.

Skyrimosity

"Well, I originally came to Whiterun to join the Companions to escape my stagnant life in Solitude. Anyhow, I stopped here for some refreshments, saw the letter, and got curious. I'm going to go for it; if not for sympathy towards his cause, but to test my mettle before joining the Companions. What about you, Edwyn?"

Anja was definitely not shy. Edwyn wondered what he would even say back to the woman. She had reasons to be in Whiterun. She had aspirations to be a Companion. Edwyn had almost no reason to be in Whiterun and no aspirations.

"Well Anja, I come to Whiterun every now and then looking for a job. I figured that an expedition will be well-paid. Even though that Imperial didn't tell about pay... or his name, now that I think about it... I figure that diving into a dangerous ruin is bound to bring some sort of undiscovered treasure. Besides, been too long since I've had a good fight."

Edwyn finished off another bottle of mead. He wasn't sure how much time had passed. Probably not much.

Hime

The Mighty Lurk Queen
    The day was well into the afternoon when she woke in the shared room. Mostly everyone would be awake by now, she thought. Kashiania stretch to get herself more awake and aware, then set her bare, furry feet on the cold floor. She rubbed her eyes and saw no one was in the room. As a Companion, you mostly had to share the room with people of their own gender, so it was strange not seeing anyone around to her. She pulled on her armor, the famed Wolfs armor of the Companions, a pair of Wolf boots to match, her amulet, and tough Nordic gauntlets. Kashiania ventured upstairs, finding a few people in the huge main room of Jorrvaskr, eating a midday meal. She asked Tilma, who was the eyes and ears of Jorrvaskr, where the others were.
    "I think they went to the Bannnered Mare." was her reply.
    "In the middle of the day?"
    "Your saying this when you just woke up?"
    Kash let her have the victory of this battle and when outside. The afternoon was still fresh and bright as any day was in Skyrim. She was indeed a Khajiit and for one native to a warm place so the natural cold was not something she enjoyed. Skyrim was chalked full of adventure and mystery, so she settled for the horrid weather. The spirit of Whiterun was just right for her, including the ever-lively Bannered Mare Inn. As soon as she entered, she pulled off her cowl, showing an intelligent face with bright, green glowing eyes. Her black mane was pulled back into many short braids and her feline ears were decorated with three gold hoops on ear. She found Aela quickly, for her painted face was the easiest to find in the room. Valkas and Farkas were close by, drinking ale like it was water. They welcomed her, shoving a bottle in her hand.
    "No, no. I'm not here to drink. My thirst is for adventure not mead, you drunken toads!" She said with spirit, as one does to tease a friend.
    "Someone posted up a job not long ago. Go take a look if you like." Aela said, pointing to the parchment fastened to the wall with an old dagger.
    Kash wandered over, reading the vague message scribbled over it. She already was compelled to say yes, not questioning it for a moment.

Melee

I'm back, bitches
    Fen pulled her ear away from the wall, mulling over the bits of conversation that she had managed to hear from the other room. She slowly and methodically pulled off her boots, quietly padding over to her rented bed in thick woolen socks. Flopping down onto the thin blanket and mattress that covered the meager frame of the bed, Fen folded her arms behind her head and stared intently up at the ceiling. Whoever the man was who decided to embark on this endeavor hadn't given much information, but it was obvious that since he was asking complete strangers to help him, it was of the utmost importance and probably seen as a very dire situation. He had said the man was his father or his brother, she hadn't been able to tell which exactly.

One thing Fen was sure she had heard was some other man mention the word Dwemer. That single word had caught all of her attention, especially because it had been said by someone other than the writer of the note downstairs. They must know each other, if he can surmise some specifics about what we'll be doing. After hearing that word, Fen couldn't help but let a huge smile cross her face. The study of the Dwemer, their technology, and their history was something that she had devoted her life to. Just the thought of going to a Dwemer ruin with others and being able to study everything and look for someone else who was as passionate about the lost race as she was made her absolutely giddy.

Fen let out a short laugh and turned on her side, curling up as she hugged the small pillow and continued to grin. She quickly sat up, crossing her legs and letting the pillow fall into her lap, a look of fierce determination and concentration suddenly on her face. The man had dismissed the group only after a brief discussion, saying that he wanted them to come back in about four hours time if they planned on joining. It hadn't even been ten minutes since Fen had moved away from the wall and she was already feeling too impatient to wait much longer. With a frustrated sigh, she flopped back onto her bed, reaching for the small bag that she had dumped on the small nightstand next to the bed. Reaching inside, she pulled out a small twisted chunk of metal. It was warped beyond recognition as far as determining what it had been used for, but for Fen it had no practical use. It was the first scrap of metal she had ever managed to retrieve from a Dwemer ruin years ago, and she always kept it with her and avoided tampering with it. It resembled a crumpling leaf, delicate in form but made sturdy in the material.

She moved it around between her fingers, feeling all the cracks, curves, and dimples that she had long ago memorized. Fen did this for as long as she could until she felt her leg start bouncing, a sure sign that she wouldn't be able to deal with her impatience much more. It had felt like days had passed since she first started playing with her little metal leaf, even though at the most it couldn't have been more than an hour or two. Jumping to her feet, she began pacing around the small room, kicking her feet in small circles or drawing little patterns on the ground as she brought each foot around in front of her. Her socks made soft scraping noises as fabric caught on the rough texture of the wooden floor, something that she noticed and was immensely pleased with. After a few more minutes of jumping around the room and making the scraping noise in various speeds and volume, Fen finally pulled on her boots. She wasn't sure how much time had passed, but she had to ask the man for more information about what they were doing, and if it really involved Dwemer ruins.

Making her way to the door, she slowly and quietly slipped into the hallway, closing her door behind her. She made the short walk to the room beside her, took a deep breath, and quickly rapped on the door five times. After a moment with no answer, Fen knocked again, wondering if it had been a good idea to try and interrupt this man while he was asleep. After another minute without a response from the man inside, she started to turn and go back to her room when a drowsy and slightly frustrated man came to the door. He wore a sleepy glare, but still looked mildly surprised. Obviously he had not been expecting a short Wood Elf to be standing outside his door.

Fen took another deep breath, this time feeling no sense of nervousness, only confidence. "I'm sorry to disturb you. But I read your note downstairs and frankly, I'm too impatient to wait to ask for more information about it. I need to know if you really are going to a Dwemer ruin or not. May I talk to you now?"

Skyrimosity

Edwyn noticed when the Khajiit entered the tavern. Khajiit weren't allowed in Whiterun unless they were really good for something. So obviously, a Khajiit entering a tavern was, at least in his mind, a pretty big occurrence.

The Khajiit talked to two men who directed her to the message Edwyn had read earlier. The Khajiit walked to the message and read it. She looked interested.

"Hey Khajiit" Edwyn said, from not too far away, "come have a seat. I see you're interested in the little expedition. Well, the man is resting so I'll fill you in a bit. Going on a little trip to a forsaken Dwemer ruin. We'll be finding a man's dead father.Well, he's probably dead. Maybe he's alive. I don't know; that's as vague as he was with us. He didn't even give us his name."

Edwyn took a long chug of mead. The drink still hadn't really affected him much. "My name's Edwyn, by the way. This here," he pointed to Anja, "is Anja." Anja smiled.

Delusional

The path was slick with moisture. The early morning fog hung low, obscuring view and drenching the ground below. A pair of wet leather boots tread lightly along the cobblestone path, each step deliberately placed. The thick fog parted as the figure moved silently, following the path, yet somehow knowing his way.

Marcus could hear his own breathing as he continued along, eyes squinted to protect against the tiny water droplets of the mist that hung heavily in the air. It would be another hour or so until the sun peeked from behind the horizon, so the air was crisp and cool, the usual for this time of day in the mountains of the Reach. How did he know he was in the Reach? How did he know where he was going? In truth, he didn't.

A hushed banging could be heard in the distant, a sound barely audible. Marcus picked up the noise and slowly reached for his sword, his fingers closing around the hilt. The sword wasn't there, and his fingers only closed around empty air. Avoiding panic, the Imperial resorted to his next best method of defense--his bow. However, he discovered as he reached behind his back that there was no bow, nor quiver. Where are my weapons?

A last resort to find some sort of weaponry yielded no result as Marcus turned his leather armor inside out, searching for his concealed daggers. He was defenseless in this thick and shrouding mist, with eerie noises all around him.

Bang. Bang. There it was again. This time, it was to the man's left, instead of straight before him. Marcus snapped his head to the side, bringing his arms before him, poised in a fighting stance. Nothing. After a few frantic glances across the foggy landscape, he continued down the path, still alert and continuously checking to his left for something, anything.

Bang. Bang. Bang. Again, this time to his right. How can this be happening? What is happening? Am I going mad? Marcus questioned himself as he quickened his pace and his paranoid glances to his left and right. He began to breathe heavier; he felt his heart beating in his chest. I think I'm almost there...

Bang. It was right behind him. Marcus froze in place, paralyzed by fear. He felt his heart pounding through his chest, ready to burst from his ribs and leap across the path. He could feel the unnerving chill of death behind him as he stood there, frozen. Panic-stricken, the Imperial slowly turned around to face the horror behind him.

Marcus woke with a start, drenched in a cold sweat. Oh gods forbid, another nightmare... Marcus shuddered, recalling what he had just experienced in his dreams. Why do they plague me like so?

Suddenly, Marcus was jolted back to reality by a series of loud bangs at the door. The Imperial furrowed his brow, confused. I thought I told them four hours... it can't have been that long already.

The Imperial hoisted himself from the bed, untangling his legs from the light bedsheets as he stood. He stumbled across the small dormitory to the door, where some impatient soul waited behind, banging incessantly to wake him from his much-needed, yet disturbing sleep. He reached the door and slowly pulled it open.

What met his eyes was somewhat surprising. A rather small, yet odd-looking Bosmer woman stood before him, who took no time in drawing in a steady breath and start speaking to the disheveled Imperial.

"I'm sorry to disturb you. But I read your note downstairs and frankly, I'm too impatient to wait to ask for more information about it. I need to know if you really are going to a Dwemer ruin or not. May I talk to you now?"

Marcus rubbed his eyes momentarily, proceeding to examine the elf. After what could have been an exasperated sigh or just a deep exhale, Marcus opened the door more and gestured for the Bosmer to follow him in. "I... I suppose you may," he grumbled, partly annoyed about being woken, yet somewhat relieved that she had jolted him from his night terror.

The Imperial led the Bosmer over to the small table that held the leftovers and remnants of the meal he had consumed earlier and motioned for her to sit with him. After collapsing into the chair, he sighed, rubbing his tired eyes once again. "Yes, it is true that I will be embarking on an expedition to a Dwemer ruin. In fact, there may be several Dwemer ruins involved. It all depends on whether or not I find what I'm searching for. It will be dangerous, it will take a long time, and there's a rather high probability you may not come out alive." Marcus paused, letting his blunt words sink in while he studied the woman. She showed no signs of discouragement, which was a definite positive in Marcus' book.

"So, what else do you want to know? Do you wish to accompany me and any others that choose to come along?"

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts