Two questions about enchanting

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
Hi all,

I have two separate but related questions on enchanting:

1. When you put two enchantments onto a weapon using the Extra Effect perk, is there any way to determine which enchantment is 'visible' on the weapon? E.g. if you were to enchant a sword with both Fire Damage and Shock Damage, is there any way to determine whether the sword will have the blue Shock Damage tint or the orange Fire Damage tint? (FWIW any time I do this, the sword is always blue, but I am trying to make it red, for absolutely no reason other than I think it looks better).

2. For some reason when I enchant a weapon with both Shock and Fire Damage (as in the above example), the level of both enchantments is stronger than if I enchant the weapon with either Shock Damage or Fire Damage alone. Why is this? Is there some synergy between these enchantments? If so might it have anything to do with the fact that I also have the Augmented Flames and Augmented Shock Destruction perks (but not the Augmented Frost perks, and this synergy phenomenon doesn't occur if I try to enchant the weapon with Frost Damage).

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Sah

Forgot

1. I have absolutely no idea.

-The augmented frost/fire/shock perks do stack. This works because when the game detects a frost/fire/shock spell(enchantment) on a weapon, it applies the bonus to the whole weapon.
-This effect works especially well with chaos damage (DLC), as the augmented perks as well as the frost/fire/shock enchanter perks bonus the enchantment. I can get a max enchantment damage of 1049 damage with only chaos and fire damage enchantments.

Kohlar the Unkilled

Time for some ale
Your first question: I would save your game right before enchanting, as perhaps the enchant you put on first is primary in terms of appearance, or the reverse is true. Experiment to find out. Interesting question.

Your second question: adequately answered by... Forgot. :beermug:

Thanks both.

I have actually tried to figure this out with trial and error, but I also wanted to ask to see if there was any prevailing wisdom about it, because every time I try to enchant with these enchantments it always ends up with the blue shock damage aura, no matter which order I enchant in. Incidentally the same is true when I combine fire damage with any other type of damage, fire always seems to be overridden by the other enchantment (eg. Red for absorb health, green for stamina damage, etc.). It's very odd, and rather annoying because I think the fire damage aura looks the best by far! On a Daedric sword anyway.

Harkin

Necromatic Mastermind
Hmm, fire enchantment auras..... I'm actually on skyrim right now, however my character doesn't have extra effect enchant perk, have you tried the element specific perks in the tree I.e. fire enchant perk and see if this makes the aura show up (maybe it will due to the perk enchancing the fire element)

Red Eagles Fury is a fire aura sword, though I'm unsure whether its disenchantable, I tried Red Eagles Bane just now and it wasnt.

Try combining Fire with the undead enchantments, I've not dual enchanted elements myself, though its something I'll get around to doing.

Dawnbreaker is probably the coolest fire glowing sword in the game, does fire damage and you can glitch two of them if you know how ;)

I just made a deadric fire sword and the aura isnt that great, maybe its better in dark caves but the actual effect when it burns the target is better, maybe the fire aura when enchanting with another element gets overridden, perhaps fire is considered weaker?

ambiiientz

Hi all,

1. When you put two enchantments onto a weapon using the Extra Effect perk, is there any way to determine which enchantment is 'visible' on the weapon? E.g. if you were to enchant a sword with both Fire Damage and Shock Damage, is there any way to determine whether the sword will have the blue Shock Damage tint or the orange Fire Damage tint? (FWIW any time I do this, the sword is always blue, but I am trying to make it red, for absolutely no reason other than I think it looks better).

2. For some reason when I enchant a weapon with both Shock and Fire Damage (as in the above example), the level of both enchantments is stronger than if I enchant the weapon with either Shock Damage or Fire Damage alone. Why is this? Is there some synergy between these enchantments? If so might it have anything to do with the fact that I also have the Augmented Flames and Augmented Shock Destruction perks (but not the Augmented Frost perks, and this synergy phenomenon doesn't occur if I try to enchant the weapon with Frost Damage).

Thanks in advance!

The color is determined by the value of the individual enchant.

Banish (Purple) is the highest value enchant you can put on a weapon. Therefore, Banish combined w/ any "Extra Effect" will always be Purple because it's the highest value.

Not always the case w/ Stamina damage...

Sah

hello every one :)

if you are on a PC there is a mod called
Enchanted Arsenal by egocarib http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/56614/?

what this mod dose it allows you to chose what visuals appear on your weapons, ............it will NOT affect any stats or leveling............is purely a visual affect mod.

o_O as a rule without the mod, your first choice of dual enchantment will be the main visual affect.... when it comes to the actual damage of weapons the damage stacks like Forgot said above.

20 frost + 20 fire + 250points= 290...................what will change is the amount of charges you get.........for dual weapon enchanting lets say you would get 1000charges with a single enchantment, with dual you will still get the 1000charges but now divided by the two enchantments..........your first choice and where you set the slider for the enchantment will determine how many charges your second enchantment will have..................

so you could start of with a fire+shock weapon.........100hits later you will only have a fire weapon because the second shock charges will have run out.

best advice is SAVE GAME before any enchanting...........once done cant be undone..........;)

Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

Banish (Purple) is the highest value enchant you can put on a weapon. Therefore, Banish combined w/ any "Extra Effect" will always be Purple because it's the highest value.

So by that logic, based on my experience, Shock Damage is deemed to have a higher value than Fire Damage? Are they not the same?

ambiiientz

Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

So by that logic, based on my experience, Shock Damage is deemed to have a higher value than Fire Damage? Are they not the same?

When your at the Enchanting Table... look at the Value of the Weapon/Enchant.

Damage Weight VALUE

The higher the Value determines the "Color" (mostly)

Ah I see how it works now, it's based on the magnitude of the enchantment, so when I put both enchantments on I need to reduce the strength of the shock enchantment by a couple of notches and the sword turns orange. Interesting.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts