Two handed weapons VS. One handed + Shield

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Two handed weapons VS. One handed + Shield

• Two handed

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • One handed + Shield

Votes: 31 70.5%

• Total voters

Kalerio

Hey guys,

I got really bored playing my pure mage in the somewhat higher levels so I decided to create a new character tomorrow. I'm having a hard time deciding if I should use a two handed weapon or a one handed with a shield though, so I'm letting you decide. Please give me a reason for why I should pick one alternative over the other.

Thanks.

TheMagicPudding

In relationship with Skyrim.
Two handers just seem way too slow and clumsy, plus, you'll be getting hit while you wind up your swing for 2 seconds. IMO, one handers are just great overall, both offensive and defensive (even more with a shield).

Logan

Dual Wield 1 handers for maximum DPS! It's incredibly fun to just run into areas and hack and slash everything you see!

Luis

I love using my shield. Block, slapped them with it into a stagger and then hack them across the face with with my one handed ax. Which happens to absorb there health as well. :)

Auxilium

In my opinion..
I dual wield but I do prefer one handed + shield as compared to a two hander, wind up is too long, I might get staggered while I wind up which doesn't help and the weight of the weapon itself hinders my overall loot fest.

I like to keep more then just 1 weapon on me so If I was using a 2hander then I'd be walking across Skyrim most of the time.

ThreeDawg

If you plan on using a two-handed weapon, than its necessary to have high health and resistances. I prefer 1 handed + shield since with a shield you can block most attacks and it gives an extra 2 slots for defensive enchantments, making surviving allot easier. On the plus side you can stagger ANY enemy with a shield, whether its a dragon or giant. You miss out on allot when you go for two-handed play.

NoVa

Bossmer
Dual wielding swords is my preferred style. I started out with a bow but figured I'd give dual wielding a try since it's new to TES. I was not disappointed in the slightest by my dual wielding damage output. If you're adamant about this 2h vs 1h+shield thing I have to say go with the shield so you can at least try dual wielding. If you don't like it, put that shield back up. Btw, dual wielding (as a combat style) is much more effective with the relevant perks.

Dual wielding one handed weapons. Power attacking with both weapons at the same time is deadly, especially they're magic weapons.

Shields are good vs. bigger enemies like Dragons, giants, trolls etc.

Kalerio

Thanks for all the replies guys!

I've tried some dual wielding before but I don't like the fact that you have to spam both the left and right trigger (for xbox). Is this something you had issues with when you started dual wielding too? I guess I could switch between dual wielding and a shield for the first 10 levels or so and pick whatever I like the most.

demujin

Clearly:

Dual wielding = better damage (DPS)
shield = better defense (tank)

My guy uses arrows as a primary, and sword/shield as a secondary.
It's a good way to stay alive and I find it fun to time shield counters to stagger the enemy, like another poster said.

tbagalot

master forum ninja
Hey guys,

I got really bored playing my pure mage in the somewhat higher levels so I decided to create a new character tomorrow. I'm having a hard time deciding if I should use a two handed weapon or a one handed with a shield though, so I'm letting you decide. Please give me a reason for why I should pick one alternative over the other.

Thanks.

I try to use both since their both affected by the warrior stone, i decided to ditch all my gear in a chest to become a mage yesterday. But anyways, i have volendrung which is one of the most powerful weapons in the game i think (besides wuuthrad and the ruethful axe), all of the weapons i just named are two handed weapons. I'm using volendrung with a 50 level two handed skill with bracers that give me 25% extra attack, that gives 48 attack. I get one hit kills 90% of the time, the other 10% is people equippted with shields (2-3 hits to kill), dragons/trolls/giants.

Antiknall

It depends on what type of character you're playing. In general, I'd say one-handed is superior due to its versatility, speed, and ability to dual wield/cast. But if you're going for a "hulk smash!" type of character, then two-handed, and with a high heavy armor skill of course, reigns supreme. I personally think being strong in both skills is the best. I'm playing an orcish warrior right now and I alternate constantly between bow, warhammer, and war axe w/ shield, which allows many attack/defense options and provides a variety of weaponry that makes the game more interesting.

Attacking a bandit fort for instance: launch a few arrows taking some bandits out until a few other attackers get too close, break them down quickly with your warhammer, advance on the fort with your one-handed weapon or spell and shield raised (doing this with the Deflect Arrows, Elemental Protection, and Block Runner perks is optimal), blocking attacks until you're close enough to slice the remaining exterior defenders up, then go inside and wreak close-quarter havoc with your hammer or dual wield (especially with the Sweep Attack or Dual Flurry, respectively).

Two-handed is devastating everywhere and even more so with the Great Critical Charge perk (very useful in taking out Master Mages in one quick move), as well as when used on dragons; I can usually kill one the first or second time it lands. One-handed affords you a lot of crucial protection and versatility. Overall, a warrior should effectively utilize block and both one/two-hand skills (archery's a good idea as well) and all other character types are probably better off with one-handed. Hope that helps you out a bit.

Su8tle

The Shadow of Elsweyr
Thanks for all the replies guys!

I've tried some dual wielding before but I don't like the fact that you have to spam both the left and right trigger (for xbox)

Your doing it wrong.

Dual wield is only worth it you use dual power attacks. Hold both triggers in.

Su8tle

The Shadow of Elsweyr
You don't need it. Most things die within one dual power attack, two finishes off most things but a dragon. You can get more than two dual power attacks out of stamina bar.

Also, never heard of a stamina potion?

iPedobear

Sexy Bear
Eh. I personally don't use potions often. Forgot they existed. If you were fighting a lot of enemies and not using the potions, you would have to hit both triggers repeatedly.

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
What the two first responders said. One handed and shield is the safest and most fun, followed by dual wield, which is possibly more fun if you like living on the edge. Two handers are too slow and clumsy, and since the game animations and combat mechanics are primitive, they put you at a disdvantage against most enemies who tend to move a lot faster than you in combat :mad:

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
I've always been partial to dual wielding or two-handed. Have barely used a one-handed weapon and shield. I really should make a character that uses those, to try something different.

Vinz

I played a pure mage as my 1st character and got way too overpowered at level 40. Just started my 2nd character and have logged about 10hrs on it. Heavy armour+Dual wielding. I personally found 2H to be very slow

dunklunk

You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.
Of the two, I prefer a one-hander and shield. That way, when you're in battle and using both, you get boosts in the skill trees for Block and One-Handed.

Latest posts