1. Welcome to Skyrim Forums. You totally should register so you can experience everything our community offers. We have various resources related to Skyrim which include a massive array of Guides and Tutorials. If you're here just for the discussion you can check out our General Skyrim Discussion section or if you're here for help you can check out our Skyrim Help section. We also have the latest Skyrim News and fun stuff like Roleplaying and even a Skyrim Fan Fiction section!

Are you here to discuss Dawnguard? You may discuss it by signing up and checking out this section.

So if you love Skyrim you should join for sure. Click the 'Sign Up' button on the right to register your account. You can register with your Facebook or Steam account.

Two handed weapons VS. One handed + Shield

Discussion in 'General Skyrim Discussion' started by Kalerio, Nov 26, 2011.

?

Two handed weapons VS. One handed + Shield

Two handed 13 vote(s) 31.0%
One handed + Shield 29 vote(s) 69.0%
  1. Kalerio New Member

Message Count:
    Hey guys,

I got really bored playing my pure mage in the somewhat higher levels so I decided to create a new character tomorrow. I'm having a hard time deciding if I should use a two handed weapon or a one handed with a shield though, so I'm letting you decide. Please give me a reason for why I should pick one alternative over the other.

Thanks.
  2. TheMagicPudding In relationship with Skyrim.

Message Count:
    Two handers just seem way too slow and clumsy, plus, you'll be getting hit while you wind up your swing for 2 seconds. IMO, one handers are just great overall, both offensive and defensive (even more with a shield).
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Logan Member

Message Count:
    Dual Wield 1 handers for maximum DPS! It's incredibly fun to just run into areas and hack and slash everything you see!
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Luis New Member

Message Count:
    I love using my shield. Block, slapped them with it into a stagger and then hack them across the face with with my one handed ax. Which happens to absorb there health as well. :)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Auxilium In my opinion..

Message Count:
    I dual wield but I do prefer one handed + shield as compared to a two hander, wind up is too long, I might get staggered while I wind up which doesn't help and the weight of the weapon itself hinders my overall loot fest.

I like to keep more then just 1 weapon on me so If I was using a 2hander then I'd be walking across Skyrim most of the time.
  6. ThreeDawg Member

Message Count:
    If you plan on using a two-handed weapon, than its necessary to have high health and resistances. I prefer 1 handed + shield since with a shield you can block most attacks and it gives an extra 2 slots for defensive enchantments, making surviving allot easier. On the plus side you can stagger ANY enemy with a shield, whether its a dragon or giant. You miss out on allot when you go for two-handed play.
  7. NoVa Bossmer

Message Count:
    Dual wielding swords is my preferred style. I started out with a bow but figured I'd give dual wielding a try since it's new to TES. I was not disappointed in the slightest by my dual wielding damage output. If you're adamant about this 2h vs 1h+shield thing I have to say go with the shield so you can at least try dual wielding. If you don't like it, put that shield back up. Btw, dual wielding (as a combat style) is much more effective with the relevant perks.
  8. Lulzbringer Boss

Message Count:
    Dual wielding one handed weapons. Power attacking with both weapons at the same time is deadly, especially they're magic weapons.

Shields are good vs. bigger enemies like Dragons, giants, trolls etc.
  9. Kalerio New Member

Message Count:
    Thanks for all the replies guys!

I've tried some dual wielding before but I don't like the fact that you have to spam both the left and right trigger (for xbox). Is this something you had issues with when you started dual wielding too? I guess I could switch between dual wielding and a shield for the first 10 levels or so and pick whatever I like the most.
  10. demujin Member

Message Count:
    Clearly:

Dual wielding = better damage (DPS)
    shield = better defense (tank)

My guy uses arrows as a primary, and sword/shield as a secondary.
    It's a good way to stay alive and I find it fun to time shield counters to stagger the enemy, like another poster said.
  11. tbagalot master forum ninja

Message Count:
    I try to use both since their both affected by the warrior stone, i decided to ditch all my gear in a chest to become a mage yesterday. But anyways, i have volendrung which is one of the most powerful weapons in the game i think (besides wuuthrad and the ruethful axe), all of the weapons i just named are two handed weapons. I'm using volendrung with a 50 level two handed skill with bracers that give me 25% extra attack, that gives 48 attack. I get one hit kills 90% of the time, the other 10% is people equippted with shields (2-3 hits to kill), dragons/trolls/giants.
  12. Antiknall New Member

Message Count:
    It depends on what type of character you're playing. In general, I'd say one-handed is superior due to its versatility, speed, and ability to dual wield/cast. But if you're going for a "hulk smash!" type of character, then two-handed, and with a high heavy armor skill of course, reigns supreme. I personally think being strong in both skills is the best. I'm playing an orcish warrior right now and I alternate constantly between bow, warhammer, and war axe w/ shield, which allows many attack/defense options and provides a variety of weaponry that makes the game more interesting.

Attacking a bandit fort for instance: launch a few arrows taking some bandits out until a few other attackers get too close, break them down quickly with your warhammer, advance on the fort with your one-handed weapon or spell and shield raised (doing this with the Deflect Arrows, Elemental Protection, and Block Runner perks is optimal), blocking attacks until you're close enough to slice the remaining exterior defenders up, then go inside and wreak close-quarter havoc with your hammer or dual wield (especially with the Sweep Attack or Dual Flurry, respectively).

Two-handed is devastating everywhere and even more so with the Great Critical Charge perk (very useful in taking out Master Mages in one quick move), as well as when used on dragons; I can usually kill one the first or second time it lands. One-handed affords you a lot of crucial protection and versatility. Overall, a warrior should effectively utilize block and both one/two-hand skills (archery's a good idea as well) and all other character types are probably better off with one-handed. Hope that helps you out a bit.
  13. Su8tle The Shadow of Elsweyr

Message Count:
    Your doing it wrong.

Dual wield is only worth it you use dual power attacks. Hold both triggers in.
  14. iPedobear Sexy Bear

Message Count:
    He doesn't have unlimited stamina?
  15. Su8tle The Shadow of Elsweyr

Message Count:
    You don't need it. Most things die within one dual power attack, two finishes off most things but a dragon. You can get more than two dual power attacks out of stamina bar.

Also, never heard of a stamina potion?
  16. iPedobear Sexy Bear

Message Count:
    Eh. I personally don't use potions often. Forgot they existed. If you were fighting a lot of enemies and not using the potions, you would have to hit both triggers repeatedly.
  17. Skullrattla Button Pusher

Message Count:
    What the two first responders said. One handed and shield is the safest and most fun, followed by dual wield, which is possibly more fun if you like living on the edge. Two handers are too slow and clumsy, and since the game animations and combat mechanics are primitive, they put you at a disdvantage against most enemies who tend to move a lot faster than you in combat :mad:
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Jersey Dagmar Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!

Message Count:
    I've always been partial to dual wielding or two-handed. Have barely used a one-handed weapon and shield. I really should make a character that uses those, to try something different.
  19. Vinz Active Member

Message Count:
    I played a pure mage as my 1st character and got way too overpowered at level 40. Just started my 2nd character and have logged about 10hrs on it. Heavy armour+Dual wielding. I personally found 2H to be very slow
  20. dunklunk You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.

Message Count:
    Of the two, I prefer a one-hander and shield. That way, when you're in battle and using both, you get boosts in the skill trees for Block and One-Handed.