Trying to decide between Faendal & Lydia

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
While I realize that my Nord tank would probably not want an elf as a companion, I am trying to decide between Faendal and Lydia anyway.

Faendal simply seems the more apt choice to take with me to High Rothgar and to explore the Barrow in Roricksted and then to the Jorn of Jurgen...

While my Nord is an excellent archer, he really prefers the two handed, beat the crap out of the enemy approach and Faendal just seems to be the better archer. Lyd's is a great brawler, but, not that great an archer (at least in comparison).

Plus Faendal's conversation is not nearly so grating. While I love Lydia, her condescending "carry your burdens" thing really gets on my nerves.

Currently I have Faendal in studded with a scale helmet, an orcish sword and a "superior" imperial bow with oodles of ancient nord arrows. He's quite good at making my foes all prickly with arrows before I even get to them.

Any thoughts on one vs. the other?

My main issue, of course, is that my Nord warrior is a big, violent, slow-witted and a total xenophobic jerk that hates anyone non-nord (you know, the average Stormcloak).

Wait... I may have just answered my own question

JoeReese

I almost always use Faendal, because he's good with a bow and, without heavy armor, I can arm/armor him as I please. I also take advantage of the free training in archery.

Putting it into the situation of a Nord who hates non-nords, though, I'd probably go with Lydia just because.

Daelon DuLac

I almost always use Faendal, because he's good with a bow and, without heavy armor, I can arm/armor him as I please. I also take advantage of the free training in archery.

Putting it into the situation of a Nord who hates non-nords, though, I'd probably go with Lydia just because.
I have come to really like him too (at least I do, not my character, I would guess) and have already trained him out (to 50), so you're probably right.

Sorry Faendal. I guess I will have to say goodbye and settle for that b**** from Whiterun. I swear, I'll slap her around if she uses that line though. :) Maybe I should just get in to some slap and tickle with the Unbroken chick. She's certainly a hot-tamale, or herring may be.

Daelon DuLac

I'm surprised you haven't mentioned Uthgerd the Unbroken, your character sounds like he'd love her.
Yeah. I just mentioned her in my answer to JoeReese. She really does sound like the ideal solution to my problem. Unfortunately, she's terrible at archery. Of course, with those two lugs wandering about Skyrim, who really cares if you shoot them when you can just beat the crap out of them, eh?

Rhew

The missing snow elf
yeah, I guess in roleplaying reasons I'd go with Lydia in this type of situation. But I'm sure everyone knows by now that Faendal is pretty much always my follower regardless of my character (who usually ends up being an elf so if she's going to be a xenophobe it'd be against man).

With an addition to what Joe said, I like Faendal because he (for the most part) stays out of the way. I rarely accidentally hit him unlike other followers. And he has saved my life more than once with his arrows. Especially when I'm rampaging as a warewolf and can't regenerate my health. He seems to be the only follower that actually keeps up with my crazy warewolf.

But then I'm pretty biased with this question since I don't use any other followers anymore. :rolleyes:

JoeReese

If you don't mind heavy armor, how about Stenvarr in Windhelm? He's better at 2H and archery than both Lydia and Uthgerd. Better melee than Faendal, though his archery is only 28 compared to Faendal's 35. Lydia and Uthgerd are both 22 Archery. If you want unarmored/female, maybe try Annekke. She's got a 26 archery and is still better at melee than Faendal.

Daelon DuLac

yeah, I guess in roleplaying reasons I'd go with Lydia in this type of situation. But I'm sure everyone knows by now that Faendal is pretty much always my follower regardless of my character (who usually ends up being an elf so if she's going to be a xenophobe it'd be against man).

With an addition to what Joe said, I like Faendal because he (for the most part) stays out of the way. I rarely accidentally hit him unlike other followers. And he has saved my life more than once with his arrows. Especially when I'm rampaging as a warewolf and can't regenerate my health. He seems to be the only follower that actually keeps up with my crazy warewolf.

But then I'm pretty biased with this question since I don't use any other followers anymore. :rolleyes:
I like Faendal with my High-Elf mages. He's not one for running out in front if I give him a really good bow and, as I have a tendency of killing my followers, he's one of the few that can stay out of the way. Of course, he does sulk so cutely when you actually do hit him by accident. I've actually had him stomp off home to Riverwood in the middle of a quest if I hit him, but he's always willing to come right back to work if I need him.

Daelon DuLac

If you don't mind heavy armor, how about Stenvarr in Windhelm? He's better at 2H and archery than both Lydia and Uthgerd. Better melee than Faendal, though his archery is only 28 compared to Faendal's 35. Lydia and Uthgerd are both 22 Archery. If you want unarmored/female, maybe try Annekke. She's got a 26 archery and is still better at melee than Faendal.
I love Annekke, and I'd give Stenvarr a tumble, but I need to stick with Whiterun for the time being. This Nord is cleaning up each hold one at a time so he won't get to Windhelm for a LOOONNNGGGG time, unless, of course I decide to go up there for the rebellion early.

My plan is: Whiterun, Falkreath, then Eastmarch, the Rift, Winterhold, Hjaalmarch, Haafinger, the Pale and and finally the Reach. I'm thinking about going Companion real quick here though and taking advantage of the abilities and cash.

I am seriously gonna wait until late game for main quest, Solstheim and Dawnguard.

I think Annekke will be a great match later game as she levels far higher and doesn't mind wearing heavy armor or light armor, two-handed, one-handed, shield or archery. Plus she's easy on the eyes!

Rhew

The missing snow elf

I like Faendal with my High-Elf mages. He's not one for running out in front if I give him a really good bow and, as I have a tendency of killing my followers, he's one of the few that can stay out of the way. Of course, he does sulk so cutely when you actually do hit him by accident. I've actually had him stomp off home to Riverwood in the middle of a quest if I hit him, but he's always willing to come right back to work if I need him.

Lol! I do love when I run into him and he yells "Hey! Watch it!" He's voice seems to go up 2 octaves when he's startled. :p The very first time I took a follower with me (and I had no idea what I was doing) was him. I tried to follow the arrow to my destination instead of taking the roads. So my character is on the wrong side of the White River hopping from rock to rock where a follower wouldn't be able to follow. We had barely left Riverwood when Faendal said "fluff this!" and went home. When I realized he wasn't with me anymore I ran back to the town and found him chopping firewood and I just left him there. I assumed he just enjoyed chopping firewood more than adventuring :p

Mighty Pecan Pie

The secret American
I don't like Faendal.. so Lydia :p

JoeReese

I'm thinking about going Companion real quick here though and taking advantage of the abilities and cash.

My only real experience with Companion followers was Nadia Stonarm (who is pretty good at melee, and a block trainer) and Ria (who seemed to be very well-behaved, as far as not charging in front of my arrows, etc.)

Daelon DuLac

I don't like Faendal.. so Lydia :p
But you like Lydia? In general, she's fine, but that one: "I am SWORN to carry your burdens" quote in that condescending tone of voice is enough to turn me off her completely. She's lovely at home, as long as you don't mind someone constantly sitting in your bedroom (even while you sleep!) munching away at potatoes. I worry about her. She has her own bedroom and the run of the entire house - why does she end up in that one spot ALL the time? OCD?

Daelon DuLac

I'm thinking about going Companion real quick here though and taking advantage of the abilities and cash.

My only real experience with Companion followers was Nadia Stonarm (who is pretty good at melee, and a block trainer) and Ria (who seemed to be very well-behaved, as far as not charging in front of my arrows, etc.)
Ria's sweet and Nadia is a real b****. But I never take Companions as followers. It just doesn't seem right. Besides, even as followers, they still make you pay for your training and won't take your weapons or armor upgrades, so FAH!

Mighty Pecan Pie

The secret American
But you like Lydia? In general, she's fine, but that one: "I am SWORN to carry your burdens" quote in that condescending tone of voice is enough to turn me off her completely. She's lovely at home, as long as you don't mind someone constantly sitting in your bedroom (even while you sleep!) munching away at potatoes. I worry about her. She has her own bedroom and the run of the entire house - why does she end up in that one spot ALL the time? OCD?

In general, I like going solo. I hate being discovered because a follower is going all out on attack :p

But yeah, that sentence is terrible xD

Daelon DuLac

In general, I like going solo. I hate being discovered because a follower is going all out on attack :p

But yeah, that sentence is terrible xD
Agree - I'm almost always solo, but, this guy just seemed like he'd be way to obnoxious all on his own.

I may keep Faendal around really early with my mages, but, even they usually end up solo by about level 10.

Rhew

The missing snow elf

Daelon DuLac

Harkin

Necromatic Mastermind
Have you tried Aela the Huntress? She's got an extremely high Archery level later on, 70+ and the Companions questline is easy, if your going for Vamp, you can cleanse your Werewolf Blood but still get Aela as a follower, providing you become the Harbinger.

Not sure about her lines as a follower, don't remember her to be annoying.

Daelon DuLac

Have you tried Aela the Huntress? She's got an extremely high Archery level later on, 70+ and the Companions questline is easy, if your going for Vamp, you can cleanse your Werewolf Blood but still get Aela as a follower, providing you become the Harbinger.

Not sure about her lines as a follower, don't remember her to be annoying.
She is really cool, but my vamp character is the spellsword and she doesn't use followers.

My tank might use her though. I don't see why not. He'll be Harbinger and she isn't exactly tough on the eyes. Plus, as you actually do a few quests with her anyway, you realize that she's a good stand behind you and pepper the heck out of the enemy with arrows.

Great thought! Thanks so much. I hadn't even thought of her. :)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts