Trolling Against the Law?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Wolf

Hello, is it tea you're looking for?
25 years behind bars!

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
Wouldn't it be great if they changed the name of the gavel to 'banhammer', for special cases like these!

That'd be sweet. Some stodgy ol' guy who has never heard of the internet wielding the BANHAMMER. I love the image.

Omigosh noooooooooo! :oops: My question is how are they ever going to regulate that when more than half of the people on the internet today are trolling. (Most of them are amatures BTW!) :D

Guys, will you visit me in jail?

Shew

Account closed (at sincere request).
another case of trying to do the impossible...

A.Auditore

maybe...
HAHAHA ITS ARIZONA!!! weeee!!! sorry from Az :) hate it here lived in this hell for 26 years (im 26) now

Lady Redpool the Unlifer

Pyro, Spirits Connoisseur, and Soulless Anarchist
Alright guys, yes this isn't possible to enforce, nor is it worded properly in order to be effective for it's intended purpose, but this article doesn't explain how the bill came to be.
A girl in the district that I attended school in for too many years, committed suicide because of some other girls constantly harassing her. It was added to a still growing list of similar stories. While in my opinion these people are just dumb for taking their own lives or other extreme things that they went to, the people harassing them should have been punished. However due to some freedom of speech stuff and freedom of expression activism these people got off with no punishment. The actual goal of this law, is to give them a way to punish these kinds of people.
Did they take the wrong action in creating this bill? Yes. Will this bill, if turned into law, be abused? Yes. But at least someone is trying to do something about it.

ShenziSixaxis

Article Writer
^ The problem I see, however, is that no one is forcing these kids or young adults to keep going online and allow themself to be harassed. Someone bothering you on a forum? Hit the report button and/or add them to your ignore list. Someone on Facebook harassing you? Unfriend them, block them, report them, and/or change your FB settings to friends of friends or friends only.

It's one thing to have to go to school every day and be teased or attacked and not have a teacher or adult do something, it's another to CHOOSE to go online and be harassed.

Lady Redpool the Unlifer

Pyro, Spirits Connoisseur, and Soulless Anarchist
I see your point, but we're talking about kids here, they don't think that way mostly, and more so than anywhere else I've been, social networking is actually important to kids around here. Most kids don't get help from authority because authority is a joke here and they don't unfriend them because the harassers are using profiles owned by someone they think is their "friend". It's just as bad as school bullying, and if this law gives REAL authority figures a way to punish the people causing all this damage, then I'm for it.

Teritus

Giving it to you straight since 1869
With all the things going on today (poverty, wars, corrupt politics, racial abuse) the government really needs to turn their attention elsewhere.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
I actually had to do research on bullying last semester for school and I know that this is where this bill originates. There are MUCH better written anti-bullying laws already on the books in a lot of states.

As a society, we have forced our kids online. People may think it's a choice but it's really not. We have created a world where you have to be "plugged in". Yes, there are exceptions. Yes, there are families that have chosen to "unplug". They are largely viewed as quaint anomalies; something to smile and nod at, maybe to consider for a day or a week. Heck, I read an article where a mom did this with her family for a few weeks and when it was done, she went online and blogged about it.

Our libraries have lost funding so we can put the internet in our schools. My college campus does not have a library where real books can be checked out. School systems are requiring online registration for things. Research projects require online sources.

Does this mean kids are required to be on Facebook? Obviously not. But when every other person seems to use social media, how are we supposed to tell our kids to avoid it with a straight face?

I don't come to this forum to be harassed. But I have seen trolling content on here. Am I supposed to not read it? Now here, we take the approach of handling reports of harassment. I have gotten messages from people letting me know they are being harassed. I delete the messages, warn the people posting and have the option to ban them. I consider this proactive and I take the matter seriously. Never have I suggested that the person being harassed should go away. Yes, people choose to be here of their own free will. But I have an expectation of behavior on this forum to make this a community where we all feel safe and comfortable.

Facebook is a company, not the lawn of the White House. Facebook has the right to conduct its business how it sees fit. If Facebook wants to step in and curb this kind of behavior, they are permitted to do so. Facebook can't demand that people don't say things they find objectionable (which would tread on freedom of speech). But as a company, they sure as hell have the right to demand that their bandwidth and server space not be used to store and serve it. Just like we do here.

No child should feel the need to commit suicide. Neither should any child feel like they can say things without understanding that there will be consequences. And unfortunately, no law will solve either thing. This law will not prevent another child from being bullied into suicide. This law will simply allow the government to play "mommy" where it doesn't belong.

ShenziSixaxis

Article Writer
As a society, we have forced our kids online. People may think it's a choice but it's really not. We have created a world where you have to be "plugged in". Yes, there are exceptions. Yes, there are families that have chosen to "unplug". They are largely viewed as quaint anomalies; something to smile and nod at, maybe to consider for a day or a week. Heck, I read an article where a mom did this with her family for a few weeks and when it was done, she went online and blogged about it.

Our libraries have lost funding so we can put the internet in our schools. My college campus does not have a library where real books can be checked out. School systems are requiring online registration for things. Research projects require online sources.

Okay, so maybe it's not a complete choice of whether or not you are on the internet, but it is a choice to be harassed (if that makes sense). No one forces you to not block and/or report people who are harassing you.

Facebook is a company, not the lawn of the White House. Facebook has the right to conduct its business how it sees fit. If Facebook wants to step in and curb this kind of behavior, they are permitted to do so. Facebook can't demand that people don't say things they find objectionable (which would tread on freedom of speech). But as a company, they sure as hell have the right to demand that their bandwidth and server space not be used to store and serve it. Just like we do here.

Facebook actually takes care of harassment very well. They took down a whole group just because one person was butthurt that they didn't have their personal photos set to private and that some people found them. That person threw a fit, saw that their immature behavior was being talked about some, and reported the group.

No child should feel the need to commit suicide. Neither should any child feel like they can say things without understanding that there will be consequences. And unfortunately, no law will solve either thing. This law will not prevent another child from being bullied into suicide. This law will simply allow the government to play "mommy" where it doesn't belong.

I agree with this, and the government should really be looking at putting into place GOOD anti-bully programs and such into schools. What they have now comes once a year with the sex education, and both of those subjects in the one program suck. I learned how to deal with bullies myself, and also learned about sex on my own. I have very, VERY little to thank any public education for.

Halkin

pzzzztt
i'm glad to see something happening. the usual forum trolls are nothing compared to what is going on, some people really need a slap about the head. ofc i'm talking the racial abuse and online stalking etc (not just some clown calling me a dick, which happens often). its come to the fore in the uk recently with some high profile cases of extreme online harrasment, i hope the UK follows suit and hurts the people who really push this.

Halkin

pzzzztt
^ The problem I see, however, is that no one is forcing these kids or young adults to keep going online and allow themself to be harassed. Someone bothering you on a forum? Hit the report button and/or add them to your ignore list. Someone on Facebook harassing you? Unfriend them, block them, report them, and/or change your FB settings to friends of friends or friends only.

It's one thing to have to go to school every day and be teased or attacked and not have a teacher or adult do something, it's another to CHOOSE to go online and be harassed.

the problem here is that it can be ignored by the person in question, but what about everyone else? what if its someone attacking you, your family, friends or work colleagues online? how many other read it and see it, and maybe believe it? dozens (or millions, depending where its posted) will be reading it.

yes it will be hard work to enforce, but its about time something is done.

BrthrhdOfSteel

The Goose Assassin
Alright guys, yes this isn't possible to enforce, nor is it worded properly in order to be effective for it's intended purpose, but this article doesn't explain how the bill came to be.
A girl in the district that I attended school in for too many years, committed suicide because of some other girls constantly harassing her. It was added to a still growing list of similar stories. While in my opinion these people are just dumb for taking their own lives or other extreme things that they went to, the people harassing them should have been punished. However due to some freedom of speech stuff and freedom of expression activism these people got off with no punishment. The actual goal of this law, is to give them a way to punish these kinds of people.
Did they take the wrong action in creating this bill? Yes. Will this bill, if turned into law, be abused? Yes. But at least someone is trying to do something about it.
They r dumb, nobody is forcing u to get on the internet or read things. How bout u just ignore it! Im sure that the kid had MANY other emotional issues and they r just trying to use the harrassers as an excuse for it. The real reason for the kid taking there own life probably would stir up other issues that no one wants anybody to find out. (mainly polititions) She may even have been killed and this story was used to cover it up. This same type of thing happened in many other cases. Like the outlaw of marijuana. It had nothing to do with a DRUG per say. It was started by the timber industry because they felt thretened. BTW if u have anything against weed, i smoke EVERY day.I have for the last 18 years. I own my own heating company and bring in between $600,000-$1,000,000 a year in personal profit. Drugs dont make people deadbeats, some people are just pieces of pl*ps all around.

Halkin

pzzzztt
They r dumb, nobody is forcing u to get on the internet or read things. How bout u just ignore it! Im sure that the kid had MANY other emotional issues and they r just trying to use the harrassers as an excuse for it. The real reason for the kid taking there own life probably would stir up other issues that no one wants anybody to find out. (mainly polititions) She may even have been killed and this story was used to cover it up. This same type of thing happened in many other cases. Like the outlaw of marijuana. It had nothing to do with a DRUG per say. It was started by the timber industry because they felt thretened. BTW if u have anything against weed, i smoke EVERY day.I have for the last 18 years. I own my own heating company and bring in between $600,000-$1,000,000 a year in personal profit. Drugs dont make people deadbeats, some people are just pieces of pl*ps all around.

you really are a dick head piece of plops, and i hope you and all friends and family die in a fire, with hedgehogs poking out of their asses

thats why the bill might be passed. not because people read the internet. well done on the drugs btw

edit: in case you dont get the irony i said that as an example of how freely you can post with no consequence

*** Note from Rayven: This post was reported for being abusive. I just want to let you know that here at least, these things don't go unnoticed. I'll leave the post because I understand the example you're trying to make and it is topical. I did want to mention, at least, that we are aware of it. ***

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts