• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
And yet, Hammerfell was able to repel the invaders despite the Empire turning their back on them.

Hammerfell fought a weakened Aldmeri Dominion. Largely due to success from the Legions, that weakened the Aldmeri in Hammerfell. During the war the Aldmeri made a gamble for all of Cyrodiil. In 4E 174, the Thalmor leadership committed all available forces to the campaign in Cyrodiil, gambling on a decisive victory to end the war once and for all.

As for Hammerfell.

4E 173

The Imperial Legions under General Decianus met them outside Skaven in a bloody and indecisive clash. Decianus withdrew and left Arannelya in possession of Skaven, but the Aldmeri were too weakened to continue their advance.

4E 174

In Hammerfell, General Decianus was preparing to drive the Aldmeri back from Skaven when he was ordered to march for Cyrodiil. Unwilling to abandon Hammerfell completely, he allowed a great number of "invalids" to be discharged from the Legions before they marched east. These veterans formed the core of the army that eventually drove Lady Arannelya's forces back across the Alik'r late in 174, taking heavy losses on their retreat from harassing attacks by the Alik'r warriors.

Hammerfell only fought the Aldmeri Dominion to a standstill, and formed a treaty with the Thalmor allowing Dominion forces to withdraw from Southern Hammerfell. It came at great cost, Hammerfell was largely devastated.

Don't underestimate a small number of folks protecting their homeland.

Stormcloaks aren't protecting their homeland. They're going to invade the Aldmeri Dominion.

Tullius says it well. "But you're willing to sacrifice thousands for your own selfish ambitions."

Near as I can tell, Galmar is more the warmonger than Ulfric.

Ulfric does things for image, willing to toy with a man's life.

"Just kill him and let's be done with it already."
"Come, Galmar. Where's your sense of the dramatic moment?"

Ulfric is a manipulative politician. If you listen to his end speech, about returning to traditions and the moot and what not. You catch him talking to Galmar after.

"To return to our glory and traditions, to determine our own future! And it is for these reasons that I cannot accept the mantle of "High King." Not until the Moot declares that title should adorn my shoulders will I accept it."

Ulfric: "How'd I do?"
Galmar: "Eh, not so bad. Nice touch about the High King."
Ulfric: "Thank you, I thought so, too."
Galmar: "It's a foregone conclusion, you know."
Ulfric: "Oh, I know."
While I know you're a die-hard Empire supporter, I can't argue with you at all. You have pointed out some of the exact same things that have made me loathe Ulfric since my first playthrough. Of course his annoying voice and his best friend Galmar don't help. :)

Daelon DuLac

Stormcloaks have a good cause, and valid arguments.

I personally, just can't follow someone who is interested in a better story of himself. Some people have no issues, but that is just me.
I can understand this. I was mostly playing devil's advocate.

However, if you think about it, are we (the player) not like Ulfric? We want the dramatic moment and the better song. We play for each epic moment (unless you decide to RP a merchant or something generic). We storm a camp full of bandits and lay waste, glorying in the dead lying at our feet moments later. We are essentially interested in a better story of ourselves - that is why we continue to play.
You are right, but, on the other hand, we aren't trying to lead our entire province down the garden path to a confrontation with forces we could never possibly overcome just to satisfy our own megalomania and hubris.

W'rkncacnter

Mister Freeze
You are right, but, on the other hand, we aren't trying to lead our entire province down the garden path to a confrontation with forces we could never possibly overcome just to satisfy our own megalomania and hubris.
That is true, our hubris knows no bounds and we would rather have all the glory to ourselves. I could easily see any of my characters standing as a lone warrior before legions of Thalmor. Who needs the rest of the weak province? Bunch of milk-drinkers. . .

Daelon DuLac

That is true, our hubris knows no bounds and we would rather have all the glory to ourselves. I could easily see any of my characters standing as a lone warrior before legions of Thalmor. Who needs the rest of the weak province? Bunch of milk-drinkers. . .
AAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! (sorry, don't know how to spell the Tarzan yell! :))

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
While I know you're a die-hard Empire supporter

Not really, I see both sides easily. I just like the structure of the Empire, the bureaucracy of it. It's vast and has many departments, from archives, law, construction, and what not.

Stormcloaks are very boring in comparison.

Besides, Imperials actually go into space and colonize. Though that is another aspect of lore, surrounding the TES Universe. Still... We. Go. Into. Mother. fluffing. Space.

Can't beat that.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts