To Start a New Fanfiction or Resurrect the Dead One

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, thanks for visiting our fan fiction section. You should only write stories that aren't related to your character's encounters, if you wish to write a story about your character please post an entry in your blog.

Before reading or writing a story, please make sure to read this thread. Thanks, Guest, and we hope you enjoy this section.

Hi there guys! It's been a long time since I've fanfic'd. :p I used to be real into it, and I've been doing RP's during my absence. However, I've been feeling the need of something more. I want to tell my own story and feel that acomplishment that comes with finishing a chapter and having your work praised by others.

This is where I come to a dilema. I was writting a fanfiction entitled "There May be Pain in the Night." My problem with this is that I was never really satisfied with the quality of writing that I was producing with it. I wanted more, and at the same time I felt like I was writing a story with no direction or purpose. So, it died. It died a long while ago. I'm sure many of you know that starting something new can be difficult at times, but I've been strongly considering just starting anew. So this is my question(s): What would you do? Would you bring back to life your old story that you may or may not have any direction with? Would you start from scratch? Would you like to see "There May be Pain in the Night" continued? Does anybody give a damn?

I'm not saying that your opinions will shape my decision. I just was thirsty for a bit of input. :D Thanks! <3 Troll

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
I say start anew. Your last story died because you were unsatisfied with it; if you pick it up where you left off, you will likely have the same problem of being unsatisfied and not enjoying yourself. And what's the point of writing if you don't enjoy it? You may be able to trudge through it, but if you don't have passion for it, it isn't going to be any good in the end. Write something you can really throw yourself into. Write something you can obsess over and think about all day long. Write something you love!

That being said, if you're still interested in and want to pursue the basic idea of There May Be Pain in the Night, you can always start it over. Take some time to draw up a plot first, so you'll have the direction you lacked before. And then rewrite it. You might even decide to start at an entirely different point than you did before. For example, Bulbaquil started The Thirtieth of Frostfall after Sjadbek had already infiltrated the Thalmor Embassy, but in his rewrite, The Bear of Skyrim, he rewound the story and started in Helgen. If I recall correctly, There May Be Pain in the Night did start in Helgen... so what if you went back even further and started in Hammerfell, or skipped Helgen altogether and began after Alduin's attack?

Whatever you decide to write, I strongly suggest making even a rough outline of the main story arc, so you don't find yourself without direction again. I've been there, many times, and it's always been a big factor in why I've given up writing certain stories. I find it much easier to write with a map of the plot and subplots clear in my mind.

Also, for what it's worth, I definitely give a damn, and will happily read whatever you write. :D

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts