To Oblivion or not to Oblivion...?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Aniratak

That is the question... I never played it due to the fact that my game had a huge scratch and wouldn't start. Now I fear it is too late.. I felt like trying it yesterday, but didn't know if it would turn out a dissapointment since I've already played Skyrim. Is it too late to go back? Have the new improvements in Skyrim made it lame to play Oblivion for those who haven't tried it before? It's avalible on Xbox live for next to nothing.. Any thoughts?

xsneakyxsimx

I've played it and it is VERY different to Skyrim. I guess there is no problem with trying it. If you like it, good. If you don't, it was cheap so no great loss.

xsneakyxsimx

After, but I only had Oblivion for nine days before I got Skyrim (My birthday is Jan 3). I had no prior experience with RPG's, so I found the interface a little... confusing. But, I'm currently making an effort to play through Oblivion now and trying to finish it.

Aniratak

I just bought it. But seems like it's taking forever to download. Or it just feels like it. Looking forward to testing it!

Aniratak

I currently only bought the base game. But I see there are som DLC's avalible here. Do you have any experience with the DLC's for Oblivion?

Aniratak

I'll try the base game first. Download is almost 50 % done already. This is going to be exciting! But it's a bit sad if I'm bummed out... Somehow I always feel you need to play games chronologically to get the best experience. But Skyrim is my favourite game, so would be a shame not to try Oblivion.

Oblivion is my favorite of the series, I still play it way more than Skyrim. The engine is a lot different for it, animations are a little goofy and out of date but seeing as it's seven years old it has a mod for everything if you ever play it for computer. Graphics, animations, combat system, armor, weapons, you name it. If you haven't played it and you're already hardcore into Skyrim I don't know if I'd try playing it on Xbox.

Aniratak

As I am playing on Xbox I'm not able to mod anything. But I'm trying to forget what Skyrim looks like so I won't compare the graphics that much :Dragonborn:

Aniratak

That's why I said since you're playing it on Xbox I would just avoid it :p

Ah I missed that last sentence. Well, I've bought it so now I'll have to try it either way. I'm very much into Skyrim yes. But it would be nice to try something different. I'll keep an open mind about it.

Aniratak

I did actually. On PC. But I think I was too young to get the hang of it. I just lost track of what I was supposed to do or didn't really understand. And I had no experience with that sort of games. So I stopped playing and it wasn't untill Skyrim came out that I fully understood what I had missed out on. I have it somewhere. Would you say Morrowind is the best of the series?

Most people probably would, but I think Oblivion is and that might just be out of nostalgia because I've been playing it since 2006. And I love Morrowind to death but it's just so old now I can't play it anymore, so I just don't want that to happen to you with Oblivion because of it's age and ruin it. But seeing as how you already bought it might as well give it a try :p And if you do end up liking it Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isles are great addons.

Aniratak

Well, I've given it a try for a couple of hours now.. I won't comment on the graphics, that's just too obvious. But the fighting system? Thats not easy to overcome when you go from directly from Skyrim to Oblivion. It feels so static. I said I would try to not compare the two too much, but I guess thats impossible. I just wish I played Oblivion before Skyrim. I will try to play it a little more. I can see that it was a great game when it came out. And it makes me think about how we will look back on Skyrim when the next Elder Scrolls game (not online of course) comes out. I'm soooo looking forward to that! Makes me wonder what will be the major changes in the gameplay. How will combat improve? What will the map look like? And the lvl system.... Perhaps I will have the same conversation with some one who never played Skyrim, only TES 6. And that they will say the same thing as I am saying now. That they don't enjoy Skyrim, and wish they played it when it came out instead. Hard to imagine, but it will happen.

I figured that'd be the outcome, that's how it goes when you plays series' backwards, haha. At least it was on sale and you can now say you've played them all :p

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts