Xbox 360 To kill or not to kill?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

tragik

Premium Member
hey skyrim folks. First off let me say that this game is amazing. I am (was) a hardcore FPS gamer (COD, MW, BF) and started to find the joy and length in RPG's (Fallout 3, Mass Effect series) but every time I looked at Oblivion and thought there would be no way I would enjoy swords and armor games. It was time to buy a new game and it was between MW3, BF3 and skyrim, let me tell ya eat my own words because now I know what I have been missing in Oblivion (yes there are some differences in skyrim and Oblivion). Maybe I will go back and try that game one day.

Enough of my babbling, time for my questions. (as a noob to this series)

How do you know who is an enemy and not an enemy? I mean I know once they see me and start to kill me, or turn red on my directional bar. I play as a sneak/assassin so I am on them before they know it. I am constantly questioning if I should kill this camp or is it good. I have killed good people on accident and also been killed because I took the route of walking into camp/city like a war hero..
I ask because doing a quest, I was back stabbing everyone in camp (Dead Crone Rock) and didn't realize that I could be gutting friends.. lol
Do you save before engaging just in case? (this is what I have started to do too)

How do you guys keep track of your quests? I mean the content on this game is HUGE of course but do you systematically talk to each NPC in a city or focus on one task at a time and ignore the rest. I know there are infinite different directions to play this. This is another hurdle I have coming from a FPS very linear story line (shoot this guy, run to this building, etc).

Under quests, there is a miscellaneous that list quests. Are these quest that have not been started? I had one went to where it said and attempted to kill the only person there (again friend or foe?) but had a bad feeling about it. so reloaded and she was nice, once I talked to her my quest went from miscellaneous to the ones listed. Do I have it correct that miscellaneous tasks are ones that are not started yet, we have to go somewhere/someone to get it moved to an active quest?

Thanks for your guys time.

Ricky

Not a Lawyer
Okay all camps are bad on approach. If you approach and you hear "did you hear that?" that means there enemies. Approaching NPC's will almost instantly cause either a fight or side remark/conversation. So you can quickly distinct enemy or neutral/friend NPC's

Quests was a bit hard for me as well. I hate seeing a full quest log i like taking on quests one by one. In Oblivion it was a bit easier. What i say is go to your quest log and do some misc quests/ side quests. You can tell the diffrence by where it is placed in the quest log. "misc" side and main. Don't take to many quests. Soon enough you'll be engulfed and baffled at how many quest's you've started and you probably won't even remember how you started most. I like remembering quests so in later accounts i can do it better and with more depth. That should be good for your quest question.

Miscellaneous quests are just quests with no depth story behind it. In my opinion most misc quests start more detailed quests. When you find a side quest it is instantly placed above miscellaneous and not in the category is "misc quests" I hate trying to sort Misc from side..So just remember. Misc start in the misc area first. Side starts off as a quest not in misc in general.

Im also a quiet guy in my game. so i can understand you in a way :) hope that helped..a little.

Ricky

Not a Lawyer
btw. by camps i actually mean like bandit/forsworn/orc/ etc..are bad..but imperial and stormcloaks are good depending on your story.

tragik

Premium Member
Thank you Ricky, that does help quite a bit.. now I know I am not the only one.. Nice idea about the dialog as well.

pizllexam

my general theory is kill first ask questions later. i have yet to find too many places that are friendly outside the cities.

tragik

Premium Member
my general theory is kill first ask questions later. i have yet to find too many places that are friendly outside the cities.

sweet, my worry was if I kill someone that could give me a side quest (not that I don't have enough "honey do's" as it is lol ).

from my understanding in Skyrim i can kill a quest needed NPC?

Anarki

Not likely.

Because in Skyrim most of the important NPC's are not mortals.

You might kill people who'd give you misc quests anyways. But that's not a big deal, imho.

I, too, play as an assassin. And usually I save before engaging on combat (specially because I play on master difficulty)

tragik

Premium Member
Thanks Anarki, will keep the saving practice going.

chopstx

F5 before engaging. If I'm feeling really bold, I'll just walk up and see what happens. If they aggro, I turn tail and hide (all sneak perks) and make them pay for their arrogance...or atleast try. However, this doesn't seem to work for assassins and hired thugs as it seems their AI paths them to your location regardless of whether or not you are hidden.

Agincourt

'Cry God for Harry, England and Saint George!'
I had this problem for a while, playing as a sneaky, only realised i'd killed nice guys when the "Bounty" thing came up - Kinda of a shoot first ask questions later!

Kurrus

Yep killed a couple of hunters with my bow, had no idea they were friendly until I got the last witness eliminated message. Oh well, they probably had it coming. We all have it coming. Right?

Agincourt

'Cry God for Harry, England and Saint George!'
Yep killed a couple of hunters with my bow, had no idea they were friendly until I got the last witness eliminated message. Oh well, they probably had it coming. We all have it coming. Right?

Like your style!! :p

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts