• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, thanks for visiting our fan fiction section. You should only write stories that aren't related to your character's encounters, if you wish to write a story about your character please post an entry in your blog.

Before reading or writing a story, please make sure to read this thread. Thanks, Guest, and we hope you enjoy this section.

Start Dale

I got 99 problems but a Deadra ain't one.
Excellent work so far; your tale is full of much intrigue, Dale. :cool:

Lydia's never been my favorite follower, but my black heart truly goes out to her for all of the suffering she has endured.

Weird thing Lydia is my favourite NPC, which i think is why she is getting such harsh treatment. More interesting things will be coming.

Now for a wee bit of a flashback period.

Start Dale

Part 11: To go for a walk

“What is that?” The Redguard assassin Nazir exclaimed in the gloom, smoke making it almost impossible to chart a path through the ruined Dark Brotherhood Falkreath sanctuary.

“Well it looks like a corpse to me, you sure this is where you are meant to be Artur?” The child vampire Babette turned to the Listener standing in broken and charred steel plated armour.

“Go to the corpse Listener, touch it know the purpose of the Sacrament Listener” Embedded in his thoughts the Night Mother was becoming clearer, this had to mean that their connection was growing in strength. He had been informed by Cicero this would be how it progressed now, slowly she would be more of an auditory presence almost fully conversant with him, if he was particularly attuned to listening there was a chance he could experience the Night Mother’s form visually. Artur had discounted that concept to Cicero stating that he had never much luck with Magic or the ethereal arts, Cicero did that maddening laugh of his and mentioned some nonsense about those close to death made the best Listeners.

Without answering Babette, Artur leaned down on bent knee, reaching out he gingerly touched the charred corpse, barbecued flesh turned under his touch. Suddenly it moved in a jolt as if pain coursed through the flame ravaged figure. Artur realised it was still alive though barely, he uttered “Who?”

“Artur, Listener” the voice was barely audible cracked in agony yet still he recognized it.

“Astrid, you’re too far gone. No magic’s will heal this damage. I can end it if you let me” He reached to his dagger, slid it from its holder and held it over Astrid’s burnt flesh.

“Soon Listener, first you must hear me, I’ve betrayed us in an attempt to keep what I saw as a business and a family alive. In doing so have killed us all. I told the Imperials of your plan to kill him, the Emperor all to protect this last Sanctuary for our kind. It came of not, the Penitus Oculatus betrayed me as easily as I betrayed you all to them” Astrid’s body shook in pain convulsing in front of the three remaining Dark Brotherhood members.

“What can be done to right your sins” Artur beckoned Astrid to finish though he had an idea of what she was going to say.

“I am the Black Sacrament, the prayer in the dark, the truly desperate sacrifice who must die to beckon forth The Dark Brotherhood, to kill, the Emperor. On my death show the Imperials that no one escapes the Dark Brotherhood! Listener plunge that knife send me to Sithis!” On her final word Artur sunk the blade into Astrid’s chest, killing her in more a sigh of relief than an act of violence.

Babette stood beside Artur as tall standing upright as he was crouched over Astrid “Well Listener if anyone will kill the Emperor it will have to be you, though i feel not in those drab battered and broken pieces of steel plate armour”.

Removing the armour from his back Artur nodded his agreement “Well where do i go for new armour? Is there any Blacksmiths in all of Skyrim that won’t notice the order that we put in and report us to the Penitus Oculatus for what would be quite a sizeable reward”.

“Why buy the armour, we’ve all been training you since you started hearing the Night Mother, you have the skills to craft what you need” Nazir interjected.

“Please you know it is impossible to make something from nothing and we don’t have the time to access the resources to craft the armour and weapons he will need to assassinate the Emperor” Babette looked positively doom laden under all the dead ends.

“So win them, he can fight and I have a book that might guide his hand to locating the armour he needs. He has a month before the Emperor’s vessel leaves the Port of Solitude; he can get the tools needed in that time and strike. If Artur thinks he is up to it, that is” Nazir smiled, such an obvious challenge required no subterfuge.

“Okay, Nazir get me that book. Then you and Babette will need to move the Night Mother to a new location. Out by Dawnstar there is a secondary sanctuary, go there, and if by any chance you find a dancing fool around, no harm is to come to him he is my guide in this. Remember touch not lest you be touched” Artur went to the body of a dead Imperial and pulled the heavy armour off of his corpse; he affixed it to him and attached his own weapons to the armour “This should do the job with minimal attention drawn to myself, till i get the proper tools for the job, after all you guys keep telling me i should learn about stealth”.

Receiving the book from Nazir he went to Astrid’s old chambers and started to read it, briefly he was interrupted by Nazir and Babette, he bid them farewell and promised to arrive at Dawnstar himself with Skyrim less one Emperor and coin enough for their rebirth or not at all. After they left he smiled to himself, he had finally discovered loyalty to a cause and it was one of death, maybe that was it there was a dark bloody truth to what they did and he could be bound to that without fear of hypocrisy in his heart.

Eventually finishing the book Nazir had given him he sat deep in thought, finally reaching a decision he stood up “’Boethiah’s Calling’ it says, I’m surprised I didn’t hear about her before today, well doesn’t the Night Mother provide”.

At that he stood up and left the destroyed sanctuary, heading into the forest path way he felt another presence near him, he unclipped his battleaxe silently and turned on his heels waiting for the presence to get within reach and readied a strike.

“You don’t want to do that, unless you are working for old Clavicus and honestly you’re not the type he normally troubles with” Artur was shocked to see that the presence addressing him was a dog.

“What is a dog doing, talking?” baffled Artur responded.

“What, where, there’s a talking dog about? That is brilliant I must see it! Ah, you mean me, so that’s my manifest shape this time is it. Heh, typical Clavicus” The dog managed to shrug and then just stared at Artur “Well aren’t you going to ask what I want with you?”

Artur shrugged “Sure, what you said”.

The dog passed on his tale of how he got to be walking about the forests of Skyrim able to talk, nonchalantly about ominous Deadra.

“So let me get this straight, you’re the steed or assistant to the Deadric Lord Clavicus Vile, who for reasons that we aren’t quite sure about, by we i mean me. Has abandoned you in the mortal realm so he can be free of your moral influence, even though it means he has less effective abilities” Artur was standing looking at his hands counting off fingers as he reiterated the points that the dog had informed him of “Oh and of course your name is Barbas, did i miss anything?”

“Nope you’ve got it. Now i need your help to be reunited with my lord” Barbas sat on his hind legs as he talked.

“And I’ll get what in return? You mutt are addressing the Listener of the Dark Brotherhood. So expect to trade before I reunite you with your precious Deadra” Artur finally getting over the shock of speaking to a dog, was ready to turn the tables and make sure he was the one that profited.

“Ah so you are the new Listener” Barbas crouched down a little, his ears falling back onto his head “I hadn’t realised I was talking to Sithis’ chosen”.

“If you help me get to where I need to be, assisting me to claim what is needed, then I will assist you to be reunited with your precious Deadric prince, does that suit you Barbas?” Artur leaned down and quite patronizingly patted the dog’s head.

Flinching slightly “We have a deal Listener” Barbas spoke.

Smiling widely Artur spoke “Deal”.

Artur explained to dog the predicament his Brotherhood was in and the plan they had developed to succeed against the odds.

“Boethiah’s calling that is where you want led to?” Barbas exclaimed “Why don’t you just kill me now?”

“Bit dramatic aren’t you for the fearless stead of a Deadric prince” Artur chuckled.

“Bloody Nord, no, you fool, I’m no sucker, to gain a boon from Boethiah you must sacrifice a friend or companion in their name, then triumph in a contest to the death with her other followers” Barbas sounded quite irate as he spoke “I’m not taking you all that way to be killed at the stake for a different Deadra, I’m in enough trouble as it is”.

“I’m not going to kill you dog” Artur spoke as the two found their way through the dense forest on a thin path that Barbas was leading them through. “We can pick up some paid gormless sell sword before we get to the place of sacrifice, hitch him to the stake and” Artur made a mock stabbing motion with his hand before speaking “we have a deal a negotiated term of barter and before I was Listener I made my living as a mercenary, the only honour you had was your ability to live to the terms of your contract. In that one respect I was always honourable”. Artur looked at the dog “So which way are we to go then Barbas?”

“While I know exactly where Boethiah’s calling is I think you’ll need to take the lead to get us to someone to sacrifice, or did you forget?” Though a dog, Barbas managed to look sarcastically at Artur.

“Though a Nord is always honourable and never cruel to their animals, they have been known to sometimes slaughter, possessed dogs” Artur turned slowly and smiled at Barbas who frowned in return. “Now be quiet I hear the carriage coming from Falkreath, for some reason most people think dogs don’t talk”.

Artur walked to the centre of the road and waved the carriage to halt, slowly pulling up he aprised Artur’s battered Steel Plate Armour “Been in the wars son?” the driver enquired nonchalantly.

“The wife found the girlfriend’s letters and I thought the civil war was tough, what way are you heading?” Artur walked round to the side of the carriage, with Barbas staying to his side and quiet.

“Love is a tricky thing to get right, thanks be to Mara I’ve never felt the tug stray me from my own wife. I’m for Whiterun; normally I’d charge fifty Septims though if you want to bring that dog with you I’ll have to ask for seventy Septims”. The driver tried to look apologetic as if he was being forced by someone else to hike up the price and not just raising it in his head on the off chance he could get some extra coin.

Normally Artur would haggle and could usually persuade most to see things from his side of view, his size and build helped a little however he was aware he was memorable enough in the damaged armour so to avoid being even more memorable to the driver should Imperials be chasing him he simply nodded his agreement handed over the coin and jumped in the back with Barbas. With the dog’s head on his lap he let the rocking of the carriage allow him drift into sleep.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Artur found himself in the Night Mother’s coffin, the world, the light his very sight seems smeared with a blood red hue. Lying beside him on her side holding her head up with one hand and another stroking his bare chest is the mummified corpse of the Night mother, she is lying with him like a lover lies with her most recent conquest. Trying to squirm, he cannot move he tries screaming yet the words don’t come from his lips he cannot draw breath eyes open and mind clear he is stuck in his body, the Night Mother turns his head with a desiccated hand to face hers and stares deep into his eyes.

“I thought we should meet my Listener, do you like the setting, I figured you would like to be reminded of our recent intimate closeness in that horrible fire. We really should do something more together sometime. You feel tense, almost scared, does my touch repulse so badly, I remember a time when men yearned for it”.

Her body starts to change in reverse fashion, the process of mummification and decay reverts. Till a young naked woman lies beside him, her long legs curled round his, her torso lying beside his frozen form, her breasts pushing against his arm, as she pulls herself closer to him. Her face as pale skinned as her body, blood red lips smiled warmly at him. Ice blue large but cold eyes seem to be judging him; a harsh darkness framed those eyes. Long pitch black hair falls in a flow from her head to the coffin floor and pools around both of their bodies.

“Better? My Listener I wouldn’t want to make you uncomfortable, please speak, and let me know how you feel” The Night Mother ran one perfectly manicured fingernail across his lips.

Artur feeling blood rush into his lungs opened his mouth “What is this, how am I here?” He tries to move his arms to restrain the Night Mothers touch, yet though he can speak the rest of his form is paralysed.

“Every Listener has the potential to form a lasting bond to their precious Night Mother. Though it has been such a long time since I’ve had such a vivid bond with a Listener, oh there is so much potential here” At this the Night Mother turns his head away and he can feel her moist lips brush against the small hairs on his ears. “I can feel your touch it’s like I’m solid and corporeal again, I can feel you feel me, oh this is too perfect” She purred into his ear as she talked.
“Where are we?” Artur tried to control his thoughts, keep calm has he got more disturbed by the events surrounding him, the Night Mother seemed to relish and push further. If he could maintain his calm perhaps he could prevent her.

“This is the Black Sacrament, its promise fulfilled in the purest of forms, its meaning and bond, from the void to the living world. When a desperate voice pierces so loud it resonates through the recently dead, it finds its way through the void echoing with me and then I bring it to my Listener, you. Most experience me solely as a voice, some get glimpses of my apparition. You though oh my perfect Nord beauty of a man, you can feel my embrace so fully. You are the first Nord Listener I have encountered and if I had known you would feel so good I would have searched out a Nord before”. Turning his head back to face her she bit him once hard and slow on the bottom lip, drawing blood she kissed it and with her tongue licking some blood from the wound “I can even taste you, oh praise Sithis, such things I have missed for so long” The Night Mother’s hand drifted down Artur’s torso reaching out.

“Stop” Artur tried to protest.

“Stop? No Listener, you are the one with such a strong connection to death that we can touch, Sithis has granted this and me control. Yet now things are tricky you are running around with Deadra, jumping through their hoops to get what, some powerful toys and some tool to make your task easier. Fine, you may but let me remind you who is in control here, who is the Listener and who tells the Listener what they may do”. Her hand curled round Artur’s manhood, stiffening it against his will, he tried to scream to move yet he no longer had control of his body.

She moved over his body straddling him and has she took him inside her, she began to decay in form back to the rotting corpse that sat in the coffin all the time, pushing her rotten hips against him.

“Now Listener do your duty kill the Emperor! Don’t dawdle to long with your Deadra friends; remember who has full control here!” The Night Mother’s face over his, the last thing he saw was her icy beauty decay back to a mummified corpse visage.

“Rrarghhh!!” Artur roared as he jerked awake in the carriage.

“In Mara’s name son you gave me a fright, war terrors?” The carriage driver inquired.

“Something like that, how far are we from Whiterun now?” Artur looked down and saw Barbas sniff and look quizzically up at him.

“Why, the cities just over there, you’ve been soundly asleep the whole journey” The carriage driver pointed across the plain to the city rising up towards the sky itself.

Artur took in the view briefly then looked back to Barbas who said in an almost unheard whisper “Heh, I thought my boss was tough Listener, yours is a real piece of work and by the way your lip is bleeding”.

Artur touched the lip and spotting the blood on his finger said “Nothing happened dog”.

“Sure and I’m a loyal servant of man, Listener” Barbas replied.

Inside the main city of Whiterun hold Artur walked with Barbas beside him, heading for the Bannered Mare Inn where he was sure to find some form of adventure happy fool willing to follow him with for the promise of treasure in the future.

Entering the Bannered Mare in Artur soaked in the sensation of revelry within the Inn, finding the Innkeeper Helga he asked her why there was such a sense of celebration within the Inn.

“Why haven’t you heard traveller? The Dark Brotherhood is destroyed; no more will we have to fear those who worship Sithis!” Artur heard a cheer erupt from the other denizens of the Inn. Smiling he ordered a bottle of Mead from the Innkeeper and thanked her for the most welcome news.

He was thankful that Barbas had to wait outside the Inn, even with the Nords love of their dogs, there was a place within the Nord world they had to respect. Being given free reign within a drinking establishment was outside of their status, which meant that thankfully Artur could get on with the deception at hand without having a sentient dog sarcastically raising its eyebrows at every lie he told.

Getting onto a chair Artur loudly stamped his foot and rattled his bottle of Mead till he had the attention of all the denizens of the tavern.

“My fellow Nords and other welcome denizens of this glorious city!” This statement received a series of cheers and woops from the crowd. “I stand before you today a Man bereft of his possessions” At this Artur motioned to the badly damaged armour he was wearing and the lack of other possessions upon his person by showing empty satchels theatrically to the crowd. “Almost having lost his life to the west of this fine city” This statement hushed the crowd, even those that didn’t care appreciated a good bit of drunken drama to go along with their evening meal and libations.

“Heading here I found myself ambushed by bandits ten of them, vicious curs lacking even the most basic of honour. I defended myself as valiantly as I could, my faithful hound leaping to my defence” As expected there were shouts of ‘for shame’ and ‘braggarts’ from the crowd at the mention of bandits, with a cheer when he mentioned the dog coming to his aid.

“Yet they pressed their uneven and overwhelming numbers on to us till I fell, almost certain I was that it would be Sovngarde I awoke to” Again a cheer from the Nords in the crowd at the mention of their blessed afterlife. “Yet I woke without anything but a few secreted Septims to my name, not even a weapon left for me to defend myself against the vicious animals of Skyrim” more boos echoed through the crowd at the way he had been left defenceless in the wilds of the hold.

Artur leaned forward on his perch a slow smile spread on his face, the crowd expecting more leaned forward to meet Artur’s silence with expectant expressions of further news.

“Fellows of an adventurous nature, listen to my news, there is an upside to my tale of woe” Artur gained a hushed tone as he continued the crowd gathering in. “I know where those bandits reside, with a treasure trove of stolen goods an unbelievable fortune awaiting any that are brave enough to search them out and fight for them!” A hushed tone passed over the crowd till they realised Artur meant to recruit them, there was some suitably shame faced turning back to meals and mead.

Artur was about to step down from his stool and head to ask the Inn Keeper if there was any sell swords about, he would have rather not spent the coin however if he needed to that was all there was to it.

“Want to hear a little Nord wisdom, you never know a woman till you share a drink and a fist fight with her. Best me in a brawl and I will follow you” Artur turned to the source of the feminine voice.

The woman in front of him is the same height and though a thinner build than him it is a close run thing. She is wearing Steel Plated armour, Artur smiled she would be perfect.

“I will fight with you it would be my honour, I’m sorry I don’t know your name?” Artur kept his face genuine and open.

“Uthgerd they call me, Uthgerd the Unbroken that is” she smiled herself, like an alley cat happy to have found some prey to play with.

“Well Uthgerd the Unbroken” Artur spoke with ever so slightly a mocking tone in his voice at such a name “Let us be having you”.

The crowd happy to realise they weren’t to be dragged into any of the madness with these two large Nords sat back and started cheering the beginning of a fight.

Artur moved towards Uthgerd at a casual walk, making no sudden movements. Uthgerd herself raised her hands to the classic Nord striking position, she kept her eyes clear on him gently bouncing slightly from foot to foot to keep limber in case of a sudden move from Artur.

Artur smiled, and then winked at Uthgerd her face fell and became angry obviously annoyed that it appeared Artur wasn’t taking this brawl seriously. Her anger caused her to transmit her first blow as a hard and fast cross at Artur’s head. Without raising his hands Artur dodged the blow “Come Uthgerd, can we not settle this a better way, perhaps in a manner that you will manage to keep up at”.

Uthgerd released a roar and flung out a kick that caught Artur square in the torso, winded he watched as Uthgerd took a step to him and swung a long slow hook that smashed hard into his face. Rolling with the blow only helped a little, he was dazed, maybe this was the wrong Nord woman to infuriate he considered as another blow smashed into his face staggering him back. Then as his head turned back from this blow he saw it in her movements, she was slow, tough but slow. Exaggerating the force of the blow he let it carry him over into a roll on the ground, and then staggered up to his feet a few feet away from Uthgerd.

“So are we fighting or flirting here” he taunted Uthgerd while making it appear he was unsteady on his feet.

Uthgerd with the smirk of someone who believed victory was soon to be hers taunted him back “Ten bandits, what were they children to best you. I’m afraid to hit you again in case I kill you, milk drinker”.

“Try it wench” Artur retorted. This infuriates Uthgerd to a roaring charge straight at Artur, who now steady on his feet again sidesteps her first swung fist; she immediately steps into his move throwing her other fist forward like a battering ram. Artur had waited for this, grabs it with one hand and pulls her forward throwing her off balance, using the other hand he swings up with a quick uppercut to her protruding jaw.

Shocked she staggers back, Artur knowing she is strong steps forward to follow her stumble and immediately lays into her repeatedly punching her in the face with a series of crosses, not giving her a chance to recover. With one more cross she is turned to the side, Artur seeing his chance to finish her, puts all his body weight into a fast haymaker that turns her on the spot and flattens her.

Downed Artur reaches a hand out to Uthgerd who recovers almost as soon as she has fallen “You are one tough woman Uthgerd”.

“I don’t even know your name Nord and I’m sure you were holding back in that brawl. Whoever those bandits were they must have been tough to take you down no matter their numbers. Consider yourself with a partner for this raid on their camp. I am unmatched with a great sword” Uthgerd picked up her large Steel sword and swung it over her back, then took Artur’s hand and got to her feet.

“I am glad to hear that Uthgerd my name is Artur, may our journey bring us a most profitable reward. Can you tell me where I can find some weapons?” Artur and Uthgerd walked to the exit.

“I know just the place” she replied.

Artur awoke on a bed his body sore, Barbas laid out in front of a hearth as the fire roared Uthgerd was sitting in the far end of the room already in her armour.

“You’re awake? Good, then we can head out soon, I have patched your armour with some heavy hide material it’ll help but try and avoid major combat. As for weapons there is a selection laid out on the table, didn’t know what you favoured so take your pick” Uthgerd returned to her morning broth.

“Thanks” Artur dragged himself from the heavy hide sheets of Uthgerd’s bed. Standing he stretched groaning as the stresses of the past few days left him. He spotted her watching him limber up a wry smile on her lips as she replayed last night events in her head “Uthgerd it is a fair distance to the bandit’s hideout, is there anywhere that we can hire some horses from?”

He got dressed in the temporarily patched armour and he selected some weapons from the veritable arsenal laid out before him, he grabbed an imperial bow and enough steel arrows for two battles as well he grabbed two skyforge steel swords and one large skyforge steel battleaxe “This should do me well enough Uthgerd, something smells nice”.

“Indeed it does, it’s my mother’s recipe, everything a Nord needs for a hard day of fighting, riding or a long night of well, you can imagine” Smiling slowly she pulled him down to her and kissed him long on the lips as she pulled away she ran her tongue briefly across the back of his teeth.

“I don’t need to imagine you more than proved yourself last night. It will be a pleasure to spend this journey with you, at least we won’t have to worry about the nights being cold” He let her up and poured himself a large bowl of broth as she grabbed her coin purse from a locked chest.

Laughing Uthgerd replied “At least I know you are good with one weapon Artur, eat up i’ll go on ahead and hire our horses meet me at the stables outside of Whiterun”.

Artur smiled back “I’ll take that as a compliment, see you in ten minutes then” at that Uthgerd left the building carrying her pack with her.

Artur’s face dropped to a passive stare appraising the furniture around him. Barbas approached him, taking one more mouthful of broth Artur set the bowl down for the dog “Enjoy it Barbas, it isn’t fit for my consumption why must every Nord recipe in existence call for too much salt and the food to be stewed to a grey mulch?”

“You want an answer to that Listener” to Artur’s shaking head Barbas continued “It is a shame you never considered the Bards college, you have a skill for deception that borders on professional acting”.

Artur got up and stretched into the armour he had to admire the patchwork repair that Uthgerd had completed on his Steel plated armour “Should hold on everything but the most direct of blows” looking at the doors he sighed once “It is a shame, well needs must when Sithis demands”.

“You could find someone else Artur” Barbas sat on his hind legs looking up expectantly at the Listener.

“Nah, you know the way of these things, everything is in motion now, no point delaying any further”. Artur swung the weapons onto his armour and made for the door.

“I remember Clavicus saying the exact same thing once Listener”. Barbas quipped, Artur smiled cruelly and they walked out into the bright morning light.

“You mean to tell me there is no sign of the Night mother’s corpse anywhere in the ruined sanctuary!” Commander Maro was apoplectic with rage, spittle formed on his lips as he bollocked the Legate that was in charge of the raid.

“Well no, we assumed that it never made it out of the Imperial city. I mean we killed all the members we found there. Even the small resistance there was crushed and after the fire died down we went back and counted the bodies” The Legate had never seen Maro this enraged before but ever since his son had been exposed as a traitor something seemed to have snapped in the Commander. He raged against the official judgement of his son’s guilt publically and privately to anyone who would listen. Maro had finally gained some acceptance of his protestations of his offspring’s innocence, when he came to the council with news of the last Dark Brotherhood sanctuary having been located. He was granted a battalion to wipe out the religious fanatic assassins and to uncover proof of their deception to implicate his son.

Now that the legate was getting almost to the end of the debriefing he was realising that possibly the Commander was unhinged by the death of his son, still he pushed on with his statement of the events that has far as he was concerned had led to the destruction of the Dark Brotherhood.

“The Falkreath Sanctuary was ruined; parts of it had collapsed in on itself as the fire had weakened the structure. We dragged out what bodies were remaining burnt to a crisp as they were, though we found several Imperial troops slaughtered most viciously this was to be expected and gives us no reason to suspect that any survivors made it out of the sanctuary alive. I have already given my account of events to the council Commander, this includes no successful attempt at recovering any information to exonerate your son” At this statement of the Legates. The Commanders eyes opened wide, he had served in the Penitus Oculatus long enough to recognise a change of command when it was coming due to political pressure.

“The council’s judgement is that you have excelled yourself in your carrying out of your duties even with the treachery of your son. They recognise how painful and exhausted you must be now after your successful destruction of the Dark Brotherhood. They judge the Emperor to be safe with only his personal guard under the command of myself now that the Brotherhood is successfully wiped out. You are to return to the capital at your first immediate convenience to receive in person the honours of the council and your retirement package”. The Legate hadn’t even the decency to look at the Commander as he spoke, once he finished he turned on his heels and abruptly left the room to the protestations of the Commander.

Commander Maro sat in the room by himself, his face darkening, he grabbed the hilt of his blade and teeth grinding together spoke “You don’t retire me after I gave everything, even my son to this cause to this Emperor, this Empire. No Night Mother and some bodies missing and they have the indecency to call me a fool, until we have them all, the Dark Brotherhood lives. I know it, as I know my son was innocent, he will be avenged, they all will die!”

To Part Twelve

Black Orchid

Death Incarnate
Dale, nice work, man. It'd be cool if you could eventually post some pics of your character, if you are able to, that is.

A.Auditore

maybe...
Ooooh Dale I could make a npc of your character!!! :eek: still reading it all!! Going slow reading it from a tiny screen

Start Dale

Ooooh Dale I could make a npc of your character!!! :eek: still reading it all!! Going slow reading it from a tiny screen

Glad you are liking it Ash. Ooooh that would be cool. I'll describe him quickly; Nord male, 6ft, heavy build think like a heavy weight boxer size. Wearing the Masque of Clavicus Vile, The Ebony Mail and all Ebony heavy armour. His face is thick Pale skin red hair and beard (couldn't resist). He has a Deadric Bow and arrows, Plus a two handed Deadric Battleaxe. Then various hidden blades and other weapons. Though you probably won't be able to see them with the game engine.

Dale, nice work, man. It'd be cool if you could eventually post some pics of your character, if you are able to, that is.

I'll see what Ash comes up with, should be fun she is developing a good talent for Modding. I may try a sketch eventually and post it. Writing and getting stuff ready for an exhibition proposal time consuming :D. Part twelve is ready but will have to wait till I find a reliable connection.

A.Auditore

maybe...
Dale you give me to much credit :oops: I'll try to get it going on Monday. Send you a few screen shots

Start Dale

Start Dale

Part 12: Bloodied
Artur and Uthgerd rode on their horses Barbas following along on the road that wound through the landscape parallel to the river approaching Valtheim Towers which were a known bandit hideout on the road to the Eastmarch Hold.

“So Artur you fancy some practice for later?” Uthgerd grinned at Artur as the towers started to loom in the distance.

“We really should, let’s go Uthgerd!” At that they both snapped the reins and kicked the stirrups of the horses forcing them into a fast gallop straight at the tower this side of the river.

“I’ll kill you if I have too!” Roared the Bandit chief as she lunged at Artur with her Orcish Greatsword he simply stepped out of the way of her blow and she stumbled forward weakened by the arrows impaling her through the armour she was wearing.

Artur had used his bow and Arrow to take out and weaken most of the bandits at the towers while Uthgerd charged through the others showing a refreshing disregard for stealth. Again in her reinforced Steel plated armour and with her expertise with that Greatsword of her own she hadn’t needed to concern herself with stealth in the battle she faced now. She had made him stay behind and provide archery support due to the weakened nature of his own armour. It appeared that the bandit chief had decided to sneak up on him while he was focused on providing support for Uthgerd; thankfully she was only facing one final bandit when the Chief started her assault on Artur.

As she charged him Artur managed to get off a string of arrows that all hit their target severely damaging the Bandit chief, so by the time she reached him she was barely fit for combat.

After dodging the blow Artur merely swung a one handed blow at her neck with one of his swords lopping the head off in one quick swipe. He looked over the bridge to Uthgerd to see her waving at him victorious in her own fights so he returned her open wave.

Back at the horses they made sure to split the loot equally from the bandit hideout and Artur using the bandit chiefs steel plated armour to patch up his own damaged pieces. Now he felt more whole and ready for the challenges ahead. Together they mounted their horses and followed the road on into the Eastmarch hold.

“Artur, when we have regained your treasures where will you go next?” Uthgerd asked him.

“I don’t know, honestly I think i’ll continue to wander around until I can find somewhere to call home” Artur was so used to giving this answer in his mercenary days that he no longer even noticed it as the lie it was. He realised that Uthgerd had a hidden reason for asking he was sure he could guess what it was, still best to play the simple warrior “Why do you ask?”

“I am no longer the young sword mistress that I used to be. I yearn to have a companion on the cold nights someone to share in my accumulated wealth. If you were willing Artur we could see if we could make a life together”. Uthgerd was silent when she finished speaking as their horses trotted together she looked at the ground.

Artur was silent counting out the time he thought that any Nord would take to consider what had been confessed to them, then he started to speak “I’ve never liked considering the future especially when facing battle in the next few days. So I won’t say anything more than, if I live past the next day’s combat, well Uthgerd you make a very tempting offer”.

Uthgerd smiled as the continued on their way “Say no more Artur, there are battles to win”.

Maro paced his room, deep in thought. It was all very well to have made a vow to avenge his son, however without access to Imperial forces he wouldn’t have the means to carry out his vengeance. Oh the council can make all the promises it wants about rewards and compensation but that would mean nothing to any father who had lost his son, especially one who felt the guilt of bringing his only son into a life that meant he had been killed. He would burn through an entire Empire now merely to get revenge, if only they hadn’t treated him so callously.

The legate knocked on his office door “You requested to see me Commander” he spoke opening the door and entering.

“Yes Legate, now I have had time to adjust to the news I am relieved to no longer be under the strain of this command. I was wondering about the technicalities of the transfer of power, do the troops know yet?” Maro looked benign and innocent in his expression of curiosity, though this unnerved the Legate had no reason to doubt the Commanders word.

“No sir, the troops don’t know about this yet. The council felt that it would be best that you made the announcement yourself. So to them it would feel like a natural transfer, they understand that there is a fair deal of sentiment for your plight amongst the rank and file”. Maro rose and walked round the table towards the speaking Legate nodding his head solemnly.

“Of course, of course, that makes sense, when have you scheduled the speech for?” The legate looked surprised that the Commander would know already that a speech had been set. “Oh come now Legate” spoke Maro reading the man’s face “I’ve been in power long enough to know a coup when I see one coming, especially when it has the councils backing. Don’t worry all I want is to get back to my remaining family and retire from this bloody life finally” the Legates face relaxed at that last statement.

The Legate removed his helmet setting it on the table and wiped his brow “Sir I am glad to hear that, this action isn’t easy for me, do you have any parting words of wisdom for me?” The Legate looked up into Maro’s eyes and noticed their murderous hue too late.

Maro swung a razor sharp thin blade that impaled the Legate’s head completely, his legs gone limp the eyes rolled back in their sockets. Only when Maro was satisfied the Legate was dead did he drop the knife and the limp dead body with it.

“Advice, yes I do as a matter of fact Legate, next time round, do not let your guard down”. Smiling Maro looked at the corpse he wondered if this was how the Brotherhood members felt when they killed someone illicitly, remorseful yet overwhelmed with accomplishment. No he shook his head; this wasn’t how those cold blooded monsters felt, this was how an avenging father felt; righteous.

Artur, Uthgerd and Barbas had managed the majority of the rest of their journey without incident, resting over night near Mara’s eye pond then continuing the ride on to Hollyfrost farm. Now they sat in their saddles while Artur described how the bandits were arranged on ahead.

“So the majority of the bandits are holed up at Traitors Post, the leader and his second in command though have taken over a section of a Deadric ruin in an attempt to curry favour for future raids” Artur was explaining the layout of the fight ahead to Uthgerd, he had used the ride here to prepare this new truth for her, so has to account for what may appear to be inconsistencies in his previous story.

“Fine we take out the ground forces first then once they are dead and gone we wipe out the disgusting Deadra worshippers. I think it would be best attempted in night fall though, so we should set up camp now and rest through the day” She dismounted her horse and as Artur did the same she walked over to him wrapping her arms round his waist “Besides I’m sure we can think of some ways to get tired enough to sleep”.

It was nightfall when Artur, Uthgerd and Barbas approached the bandit encampment at Traitors Post. Artur took the lead as they approached the cabin, signalling that Uthgerd and the hound follow in his path. Once they were close to the building Artur playfully grabbed the dog by the scruff of its neck and brought its head level to his crouching “Okay Mutt, I need you to cause a distraction so we can rush the entrance. Round the back and bark as loud as you can, if you can find a bandit to savage even better, now off you go”. At that Artur whistled softly three times and pointed to the back of the building.

Uthgerd couldn’t see the look of almost hate Barbas shot Artur as he slunk off towards the building she merely commented “You have him very well trained, it is admirable”.

“Yes it is like he understands every word I say” Artur waited with Uthgerd in the snowy undergrowth for Barbas to start the distraction.

From behind the building a howl reached out to the sky then the unmistakable sound of a man awoken from sleep by a dog biting him. Barbas’ barking sounded out amongst shouts from the wounded man and his stirring brethren clamouring to get at the offending animal.

Uthgerd smiled at Artur “Textbook, let’s go finish them off”.

Breaking into a run they both charged at the front entrance Uthgerd slightly in the lead. Reaching the wounded man that exited the front entrance, due to his bleeding from a savage bite it was obvious he had been the one bitten by Barbas. As planned by Artur, the bandits were too distracted by the sudden appearance of a savage dog mauling one of their companions to keep watch for attackers. Barbas was making able work of an impression of a savage wild dog, howling for all he was worth.

Too late did the staggering bandit raise his head to see Uthgerd charge him full steam, with the Greatsword pointing out straight and true she impaled him on the tip of the large blade through his neck. Slashing the blade out and through his neck she kept moving into the building spinning on her feet to smash the next bandit on the shield knocking him over prone on the ground from the force of her blow.

Artur followed her through the door at an equal hurried pace, battleaxe drawn he spotted an archer finally get a bead on Uthgerd and sprinting he brought the heavy blade down in an over arm arc that severed the archers arm off at the elbow joint. The arrow partially drawn clattered on the ground harmlessly as Artur turned to the next bandit. Turning away from him as he moved in a spin he let the battle axe pick up a lazy but unstoppable momentum, keeping one eye on the final archer in the house he unleashed the battleaxe and it hurled through the air. Smashing through the second archers light hide armour and crushing the rib cage of Artur’s opponent sending him to the ground gasping for his final breaths, while Artur calmly pulled his battleaxe from the body.

Turning to Uthgerd Artur watched as she pulled her Greatsword from the chest of a fallen foe and turned to another advancing on her, this one was wearing Steel plated armour just like their own. He held a heavy Dwarven shield and sported a nimble Elvin blade that danced in complex patterns in the air as he advanced on her. From the Bandits form Artur could tell that the man was a nimble blades man and was in his movements faster than Uthgerd and as well armoured.

Uthgerd possibly sensing the same thing roared out an indecipherable shout charged the advancing man her Greatsword drawn back in a long powerful swing. Gaining momentum the blade approaching the Bandit, Artur had already started to rush to her side as he could see her failure even before it was happening.

Uthgerd’s long hard blow smashed against the bandit’s shield which reflected the blow down to the ground. This forced Uthgerd’s body to follow the Greatsword’s momentum leaving her left flank open and exposed to the Bandit. Who had waited for this moment to strike, lashing out with the Elvin blade he expertly slashed her down the side between the plates where her armour was weakest. The blade passing through the armour and finding the soft flesh under her ribcage Uthgerd stunned by this quick parry and thrust in pain stumbled back dropping her sword.

It is at this point Uthgerd feels a hand on her neck and Artur tugs her backwards out of the path of a killing slash to her neck. As she falls back to the ground she sees him step over her quickly landing a powerful kick on the shield of the bandit knocking him back. As he stumbled back Artur swung his battleaxe catching the bandits shield and knocking it from his grasp. As Artur went to continue the momentum of the attack the bandit turned back and lunged to grab his Dwarven shield that had been thrown behind him by the battleaxe’s blow.

Using the lunge to grab the shield the bandit rolled over in the ground and on his back raised the shield to stop Artur’s following blow smash him into the ground. Instead the blow smashed into the shield with such force it knocked the wind from the bandit. The next blow from Artur spun the shield from the bandit’s hands, Artur stood over the bandit as he tried to struggle from the next blow. The battleaxe in one heavy swing was brought down heavily on the now prone bandit smashing through the armour helmet and cleaving into the head underneath.

Bracing himself Artur pulled the battleaxe from the head of the dead bandit and swinging it onto his back he returned to Uthgerd’s who was profusely bleeding through her armour. Artur reached into her pouch and pulled out the healing potion as she was scrambling to try and keep pressure on the wound to stop herself bleeding out. Artur picked up her head and cradling it he fed her the healing potion gently. Starting slowly the blood started to clot at an accelerated rate, then it in one go scabbed over before falling away to reveal nearly healed flesh. Only a slight scar remained as a reminder of the almost fatal blow that was dealt to her.

“You saved me Artur, I rushed into that like a fool amateur, death should have been my reward” She reached up and cradled his face as she spoke.

“Shh, conserve your strength Uthgerd we will rest the hour here then we can continue on to our final stop and all the riches that can be carried for us both” Artur held her head cradling it softly.

At this Barbas entered the building and padding over to them it pointedly stared at Artur then lay down beside Uthgerd before licking her hand soothingly.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Commander Maro addressed a squad of about twenty soldiers outside of the main Solitude gates.

“You men are my most loyal most dogged troops, men who know what it is to fight till all you see is death and mayhem. You know how to wade waist deep into the murk of such battle till all foes are vanquished. Well today gentlemen I need you, Skyrim needs you the entire Empire of man needs you! The embers of the Dark Brotherhood are still alight and they mean to light their fire again with the blood of our Emperor. Well I say no! I say there will be no bending to terror! There will be no accepting the madness of these religious extremists! We will fight and kill until the last vestigial traces of the Dark Brotherhood are scoured from the very soil of Tamriel! Are you with me men?” Maro’s gaze swept the crowd of men.

As one the group of elite Penitus Oculatus troops erupted in a fervour cheer of their Commander.

“Artur watch your flank!” As Uthgerd shouted to him he noticed the large Boethian cultist leader lunge at him with a greatsword. He parried the blow and then sliced into the cultists head with a war axe he had relieved from a different opponent. Uthgerd was standing with him on the top level between the bodies of a couple of prone cultists, she looked the picture of the ideal female Nord warrior. The collected Cultists had been slaughtered easily enough only in their religious garbs and with small weapons they hadn’t survived an onslaught by two battle hardened combatants such as Artur and Uhtgerd.

“Well they are defeated” Uthgerd embraced Artur tightly “Now for the spoils” she grinned before they kissed.

Artur motioned to a small stone pillar “Grab that it will open and lead to the treasure hoarde, I’ll activate it in a second”. Uthgerd followed Artur’s directions.

Artur approached the pillar and Uthgerd she turned and smiled at him “So how do we activate it?” Then choked Artur had pierced her with a short thin blade through the throat faster than she could perceive it happening.

Light moved from the pillar and started to flow into Uthgerd tainting her flesh, before she slipped from the grasp of life she managed to silently mouth the word 'why?'' to which Artur replied “Necessity”.

The light continued to consume her form till it rose and then slumped lifeless against the pillar. Her eyes opened again but this time they were empty black holes leading to somewhere else. She rose and her mouth opened smiling cruelly.

“Novel approach Nord” Spoke Boethiah.

To Part Thirteen

Start Dale

Part 13: Storm the gates

“So of course then I followed Boethiah’s directions defeated the previous champion and got the Ebony Mail” Artur turned to Josin.

“I knew you were cold but this is a new level you have reached. To slaughter a lover to gain a mere tactical advantage, no one can trust you” Josin walked away from Artur disgust emanating from his every pore.

“Don’t you want to hear about what happened with the dog? Artur tapped his helmet grinning “Or what about poor Maro? Spoilsport!” Artur mocked Josin.

Josin pushing past the Falmar guard walks round a corner, the Falmar reaches past him and yanks him back in one swift movement as an arrow passes through the space he just occupied.

“Who goes there?” The voice unmistakeable comes loud and urgent.

“Friends” Josin pauses while looking at the rest of the group “and other exhibits hold your fire please”. At that point Josin walks round the corner again slowly this time his hands raised in front of him to show peaceful intent.

“What is the meaning of this Josin?” Gripping Wuuthrad tight in her hands Kathryn struggled against her urge to charge the group of Falmer, who at the sight of the battle axe in her hands had started to sound agitated and had drawn weapons with intent in their eyes.

“Kathryn, you need to listen carefully, replace Wuuthrad, I know it feels wrong, the blade is telling you to strike out. It can almost taste Snow Elvin flesh this is what it was made to do. You need to be stronger than our natures, trust me and no harm will come to your Companions” A dark figure moved past the restrained formation of Falmer and Nightingales as he talked. Slowly with careful steps he held his arms out to indicate he was unarmed. Something about the voice was familiar, yet Kathryn wouldn’t believe it. He would never advise such a reasonable plan, still she had to ask for the last time she had heard his name it was in conjunction with his death.

“Artur, is that you under all those Deadric accoutrements?” Approaching her he slips off the Masque of Clavicus Vile, attaching it to the side of his armour. Without thinking she replaces Wuuthrad into its holder across her back and smiles “So you’re the Listener of the Dark Brotherhood then? I thought you had been killed by the Emperor’s guards while assisting him to commit the assassination, I had to identify the burnt carcass as you”.

“Heh, large Nord in Steel plated armour, identifying marks all burnt off of him. I figured they’d fall for it, never suspected you would too, I learnt a few tricks from the Brotherhood”. Artur motioned to the group “These fine possibly gentlemen and ladies decided to escort us all up from the cavern. They are going to help us get back to the surface safely, I would advise we all take them up on their kind offer now”.

“Good as we have been attacked by Dwarven Constructs for the past day, it feels like they are being sent to our position” Kathryn motioned to the battle worn crowd of warriors and thieves.

“Well the Falmer have tunnels carved out that hide them from those constructs, we shall be following them” Josin spoke this time.

Kathryn nodded and at that the remaining Companions and Thieves sheathed their respective weapons and joining the rest in a silent procession, the large group were guided to the surface following a route previously unseen, this route was taking them through a series of roughly cut tunnels, they seemed to move in parallel with the Dwarven corridors and walkways.

Artur translated for the Falmer “The Dwemer’s machines of death don’t know of these passages, no one but Falmer know these passageways. Falmer and now you, betray us outsiders and you will suffer endless torments. Our saviours trust the Nord in dark vestments, so we will for now”. At the last bit Artur smiled and in words indecipherable to anyone unfamiliar with the Falmer spoken tongue said “That goes both ways my pale friend”.

Finally the Falmer guards brought them to a dead end, and activating a secret pulley system, the rock face opened to reveal the very first room that the group had entered within the Dwarven ruin. Retrieving their weapons from the Falmer escort Aela spoke up “Something feels wrong here, boss I’m taking Vilkas to check outside”

As Vilkas and Aela stepped outside lightening rained down on them, the two companions struggled forward. The first to respond and out the door behind her Companions was Kathryn, Wuuthrad in hand, from outside a new enemy could be seen, the Thalmor had sent a scouting party out to the Dwarven ruin of Irkngthand.

I remember stout arms once a long time ago, passing me down a chain, from one set of arms to another, on down the chain I would go until finally reaching my mother’s grasp. I was but a child my mother turned to my father and smiled, “Your daughter has joined the tribe, rejoice old man, rejoice!”

The man takes his daughter into his arms and cradling her “You my child, you will be called Kathryn, after my own mother.” He notices the child’s attention drawn behind him to the hilt of the great sword strapped to his back; “And you my girl will one day wield one of these!”

Lightning streaks through the air rebounding off of a rock just beside her, spinning Kathryn throws a short blade upwards, and then with a foot gaining balance she charges the nearest Thalmor. The blade streaks up in an arc and beginning to fall, the nearest Thalmor raises his shield to block and braces for the impact of Wuuthrad on it. The thrown blade falling impales the Thalmor’s shield arm causing it to drop and in a fast arc she removes the soldier’s head.

Not stopping Kathryn continues to charge forward, this time the Thalmor Justiciar gets her in sight and in a surge of power hits her with duel lightning bolt spells. Blown off of her feet she is hurled through the air in a long tumble, yet her eyes remain fixed on the remaining Thalmor mage. Landing in a roll she pushes out with her free hand forcing her torso up out of the fall and lifting both legs up and then bringing them hard down on the ground she lunges herself the remaining few feet at the Justiciar.

Vision blurred and still shocked from the bolts all she can do is bring the battle axe down in a clumsy chopping movement. A scream from in front of her tells her she has been rewarded for her persistence.

Before she can gloat she feels a blade bash into her armour almost piercing her side a Thalmor soldier previously hidden attacks. Kathryn stumbling quickly round loses her footing stunned and desperately swings with Wuuthrad before falling on her back she catches him in the chest.

“It hurts more than a scratch should, but it is still but a scratch, your blade will be taken back to the Aldmeri Dominion for study, Elenwen sends her regards, Harbinger.” The Thalmor paused, smiles cruelly and raises his sword before getting ready to lunge it down at her.

“Why don’t I send her to find you” Then taking but a breath in Kathryn exhales shouted words that turn the air itself into a torrent of fire that rips through the Thalmor soldier lifting him off his feet. When he falls metres away, he is missing everything above his ribcage; the rest of him is burnt and blistered Elvin Armour melted to roasted flesh.

The moans of the Justiciar bring her round to her feet, seeing him kneeling on the ground helplessly pawing at his own severed hands, causes her to feel a mild pang of sympathy for the hated enemy. Walking over to him she resolves to get the information as quickly as possible then to put him out of his misery.

“Before I send you to whatever hole Thalmor go when life is sick of seeing them, I want you to know something. This can go fast or it can go slow”. Pulling the hood back off his head Kathryn stares into the Justiciar’s eyes, smiling as pleasantly as she can force herself. “So simply put, how did you know where we were?”

The Justiciar spat at the ground “I’d rather be tore apart by Dremora than answer you that, Harbinger”.

Before Kathryn had a chance to reply, the listener stepped into her field of vision. Artur taking off his helm smiled once at her and winking slipped an arm round the Justiciar’s neck.

Kathryn looked to the entrance of Irkngthand where she could see the remains of their expedition party exiting the cave system plus the Falmer escort. They milled about the entrance studying the scene of destruction that lay before them.

Aela lay badly wounded propped up against the Dwarven door arch while Vilkas only slightly better off physically was tending to her; it appeared as was the way that the two Companions had exited the ruin first attracting the ambush from the Thalmor. Advancing they, soaked up most of the damage allowing the Harbinger to position herself and then take out the Thalmor scouting party before they could regroup.

The combined party of Thieves and Companions that had exited the caves went to their stricken fellows and started to assist them, with healing magic and nourishment. While with the remaining Thalmor Justiciar, Artur and Kathryn continued with the interrogation.

“The lady asked you a question; it would be very nice of you to answer for her. Oh your wounds hurt do they? I can help, or I can hinder. Choose.” As he talked Artur started to slowly apply a healing spell to the Thalmor, his hands severed were beyond saving however the wounds started to heal his wrists becoming stumps. Relief passed across the Thalmor agents’ face, then without warning the Listener pulled a dagger from his armour and in one movement dragged the tip of it across the Thalmor’s scalp ripping the flesh and hair off. The Thalmor screamed in agony, his scalp landed in his lap, again the listener applied the healing spell and slowly the skin started to re-grow where it had just been cut off.

“You can’t, it’s barbaric!” Kathryn moved to stop Artur.

“I’m a barbarian, what do you expect? Now if you don’t mind I’m working. Go stand with your associates of honour, while the grownups talk” Kathryn went to advance on Artur, then she stopped, she knew she could take him, she remembered fighting with him in the Civil war. Yet he was right, she hated it yet she knew it in her bones, she couldn’t do this work, she turned to tend to her fallen comrades, leaving the Listener to his work.

“So Justiciar, I’ve met a few of your kind, they always talk in the end high born or not. Just depends on how many parts of them I leave left over to do the talking with” At that Artur sliced the Thalmor’s ear off “So first, what’s your name?”

Bracing at the screams, Kathryn continued to walk away, remembering the first time she had experienced Artur’s brutal nature.

“When will he stop prattling on and start the assault. Is he trying to bore Windhelm into capitulating to the Empires demands, come on Kathryn let’s get the party started. You open the door I’ll say hello to the locals” The large heavy built Nord started to move through the crowd of Imperial troops, with ignorant and berating movements.

The woman called Kathryn followed behind the impatient barbarian, carrying a two handed great sword over her shoulders, she was wearing steel plated armour, sticking close to the wake formed in the barbarians path. His two handed axe gripped tightly in his hand he broke to the front of the Imperial forces. Kathryn stepped out beside him smiling she slapped her helmet down onto her head.

“Looks like Tullius is winding his damnable speech up, you start running, I’ll give it a five count then open the door” Kathryn smiled to the barbarian has he put on his own Iron Helmet and started to run at the gates of Windhelm. Arrows passed his head by inches; the pace of the advance made him a hard target.

Inside him his heart rate rose, almost euphoric, he bounded sideways onto the parapet wall then taking a skipping hop lunged forwards at the gate Battle axe thrust forward in an overhead swipe.

As Kathryn watched him start the dive she heard Tullius yell ‘charge’ “Timing is perfect, late as usual General”. Uttering her last words she breathed deep in, remembering the words she had just been taught by those old men, her thoughts turned to force, her language adapted to a sound that commands the very actions of the world, she breathed out turning air to language and rewrote the world in front of her to be pure kinetic force. It left her and pushed forward as fast as the lightning in the sky. It hit the gate and smashed
it open, at that she saw Artur pass through where the gate once stood, now in splinters. Clambering from the rubble a Stormcloak soldier stood up and the barbarian brought his battle axe down hard onto the helmet of the enemy smashing through the light material and cleaving his head open.

Kathryn charged leading the legion toward the gates; she watched the barbarian with a swipe of his battle axe to the left and right take out two more guards with long body swipes.

“Artur, The counter advance is upon you.” He turned to where her shout warned him of and saw three Stormcloaks advancing at him with speed; he pulled his bow out and hit one of them in the head downing him instantly. Switching back to battle axe he braced for the other two Stormcloaks to reach him.

Before they had a chance too, he got passed by the advance wave of legion troops led by Kathryn. She easily dispatched the two Stormcloaks advancing on him then turned “You’re getting lazy Artur, needing someone to clear up your mess!”

“Are you joking, if I didn’t slow down there wouldn’t be anything for our dear Dragonborn to do, now would there!” Grinning he joined her side as they stormed the city.

He had joined the legion merely to earn some coin to pay for his next meal, battle all he cared to know, to be honest the side he was on never mattered to him. Solitude was closer, which he told that pompous fool Tullius upon having his honour questioned, he was a mercenary, the most honourable of warriors, for he had no side to betray, no cause to corrupt, just coin to earn. As long as the General paid him promptly, he would keep killing Stormcloaks.

Kathryn had been in Castle Dour as well at the same time, she had just finished giving her account of the massacre at Helgen to the General. So they both got sworn in together, outside when promised some legion armour he had given her first piece of advice, wear something you know and never change it unless you know you are getting something better, Legion Armour isn’t better than Nord craftsmanship.

So wrapping some red cloth around their own armour to avoid assault by friendly forces they had fought side by side throughout the Imperial campaign. When it had come to the defence of Whiterun, he had stayed to maintain the hold with the Legion while she had been sent on a quest by that Jarl Balgruuf.

Her words upon her return from the quest had been truly the stuff of Nordic humour ‘At least when killing Draugr, blood isn’t an issue. It is the most of frustrating things at the end of a day of violence to have to clean armour of your enemies’ blood’.

Still she seemed different from that point on; it was a relief in a way he had been nursing her till then. Though she would have fought him to a standstill opposed to admit it. She was one of the most talented combatants he had ever seen, yet she was not built for the grind of war. The constant bloodletting would wary her to the following days. Yet once back from the quest she seemed emboldened to go deeper into the bloody act of war, as if she relished the chance to cause more death.

Previously protective to her he started to compete with her, egging her on to be more brutal, decisive and dangerous to the enemy, as long as she was charging through the war and not punishing herself for every battle she survived he wouldn’t have to worry about his partner losing her edge and getting them both killed. It was after she had assisted the Dark Elf woman to slay the dragon at the tower that she had become the juggernaut that fought with him now. When that dragon soul embedded itself in her, she ceased any pretence of nausea with the business of slaughter and embraced the brutality that she had to inflict on others. Finally Artur had someone he could work with on the field of conflict, as her power as Dragonborn rose so did her bloodlust.

Now crashing into Windhelm, the two outpaced the regular legion troops, staying at least ten paces deep into the ranks of the Stormcloaks. Incapacitating any enemy troops to enter their path they moved possessed through the streets of Windhelm.

At one point the Imperial troops had to retreat it was at this stage that the two found themselves surrounded. Stormcloaks trying to attack them in a press found themselves unable to back away from the blades of Artur and Kathryn’s melee swings. By the time the Stormcloaks had pulled back to let the archers try a long range assault on the two, about fifteen swordsmen had fallen, with another five crippled by the men behind them pushing on through the top of their own comrades.

The archers formed a line, arrows straining to be released at the two that had slaughtered so many of their brethren. Before they even had a chance to release a single arrow the ground started to shake, Artur found he was knocked off his feet as did a lot of the Stormcloaks, having to scramble to their feet darkness fell on the courtyard. A roar and a column of flame incinerated the archers in the centre of the blast, those nearby rolled on the ground trying desperately to put out the flames clinging to and burning their flesh.

“Dragon!” the shout went up from almost all the troops Imperial or Stormcloak.

Artur getting to his feet watched Kathryn her gaze locked on the immense flying beast “I’m going to kill that, be a dear Artur get its attention for me”.

Artur looked at her, her eyes were on fire and she gripped her battle axe tightly a smile playing on her lips “Really, any ideas on how I do that?”

“You’re a decent enough shot with that bow does that give you any ideas. Remember it has to see you hit it, we want it to land here” Kathryn backed to the wall while the dragon circled over the city of Windhelm, firing random blasts of inferno down on the populace irrelevant of politics or race. Artur started to climb to the top of the parapet. The dragon’s assault had temporarily saved them from the Stormcloaks Archers, in the confusion it appeared that the Stormcloaks not killed outright had taken the opportunity to retreat from the dragon into the keep.

Artur knew that they would not stay there long. Looking out across the city from the parapet wall he could see that the Imperial and Stormcloak forces were still trying to attack each other. It appeared that the dragon was merely an obstacle to be avoided while trying to attack the enemy.

Pulling out the bow and stringing an arrow Artur smiled, as he remembered how they called him savage for finding the fastest way to down an opponent no matter how brutal. Looking out at these men of honour trying to tear each other throats out, while their very world burns around them he had to laugh at the irony. The only two trying to stop the dragon were the two that the other sides in this war would look down their noses at as irredeemable mercenaries.

The dragon was starting to turn its path back towards the keep, as it flew this way Artur fired an arrow at it. The arrow purposely missed hitting it in the head by metres, passing directly in the dragon’s field of vision it turned and spotted Artur on the parapet. Artur had already got another arrow strung as the dragons eyes locked on him and as it drew its breath in Artur released the arrow. This one flew straight at the dragon, impaling it in the eye; in agony it screamed releasing a torrent of uncontrolled fire that engulfed its own form. Having lost control it plummeted to the ground and in stone shattering crash it collapsed into the courtyard.

As soon as it was on the ground it recovered itself, getting to its feet it tried to find Artur again, to deal with him with tooth and claw where fire had failed. Instead it found Kathryn approaching it at a run, Artur watched as Kathryn breathed out in a shout what appeared to be a wall of unrelenting force. This staggered the dragon while she completed her charge, skidding underneath its head she swung her great sword at its throat smashing through the soft scales were she tore chunks of flesh and blood away. Roaring the dragon swiped at her with a claw, she was already in mid leap as it caught her round the ankle. She was flung against the wall landing heavily of the hard stone of the courtyard.

During this time Artur had maintained his assault with arrows, trying to aim as many at its head and softer sides as possible. Seeing Kathryn in trouble he knew that though the dragon was almost finished one wrong move would mean they could both die instantly, Artur leapt off of the parapet, his battle axe thrust in an overhead swipe that as he landed on the dragon’s neck he brought down onto its remaining good eye. Effectively blinded it flung Artur off in its agony; he landed hard against the courtyard stones and lost consciousness.

He awoke moments later to the sensation of light burning through the fog of his injuries, he saw Kathryn standing there her great sword deep inside the dragons neck. The dragon itself seemed to be burning up, leaving only bones, this fire turned to light that moved in the wind till it found Kathryn and it then settled on her glowing briefly before seeping into her very form.

“Does that happen every time you kill one of those bastarding things?” Artur spoke once his head had stopped spinning.

“Yes every single time, you enjoy your rest there?” Kathryn grinned at him, the last of the light seeped into her flesh.

“I saved your life, so you owe me, remember that” Artur got to his feet and located his battle axe. In response Kathryn tore a ribcage bone off of the dragon and tossed it to him “A keepsake, how nice of you” Artur replied.

At this moment the Stormcloak soldiers exited the Palace of Kings totalling about twenty in force, while the Imperial troops headed by General Tullius and Legate Rikke poured into the courtyard. Both sides stood off against each other, it seemed that the force of the battle had wearied both sides against an immediate charge, they stared across the courtyard at each other weapons drawn.

Kathryn picking up Artur’s bow walked over to him handing it over; casually he drew an arrow and strung it. They were being ignored by both sides as if the dragon attack now over was had never really happened, in lieu of the fresh slaughter ahead. Artur nodded to Kathryn and she picked up her battle axe.

Artur released the arrow and it went through a Stormcloak Archers head, the arrow strung by the Stormcloak released in his death was released it found its home in the torso of one of the Imperial soldiers.

“Let’s finish this!” Yelled Kathryn and she then charged the Stormcloak line.

“You’re not a real Nord! One who sells his honour so cheaply!” Artur grinned at Galmar Stone-Fist; he enjoyed the aging Housecarls threats and insults, as they pointed to a warrior suddenly insecure in his position and strength.

“Cheap, he cost at least three cartloads worth of weapons!” Legate Rikke retorted as she followed them into the Palace of Kings.

“Subtle as usual Galmar, it’s good to see you put this much thought into all your dealings” Artur was squaring up to Galmar, while the Dragonborn squared up to Ulfric on his Throne. Tullius had followed Rikke in and pulling his blade he started to go through what sounded like a long winded arrest warrant. “Really” Artur uttered under his breath “he likes to talk”.

“Imperials all the same” Galmar snorted “Talk, talk, talk, it is all they know. Shall we show them how it’s done Mercenary?”

“Hey at least they pay well. Better than you cheap skates you expected me to fight for a cause? But I preamble, I would be honoured Galmar if you would assist me. I tell you what, you first old man” At this final comment of Artur’s Galmar charged forward his Greatsword drawn.

Without waiting Ulfric emitted a shout that picked up furniture, long tables and the like tossing them across the room, everyone shuddered and landed to their knees bar Kathryn, who stood her ground and then mockingly dusted off a shoulder “That it? I’m not even going to compare my voice to yours, let us do this as Nord’s of old with blades and flesh, unlike the poor dead boy king I can raise my voice too Ulfric. Can you swing a blade as well as you grandstand?”

“You are about to find out Dragonborn” Ulfric stood from the throne and pulling his axes out he charged at Kathryn. General Tullius went to advance into the burgeoning fray but Legate Rikke grabbed his arm and holding him back shook her head. She knew that this final battle for Skyrim would need to be decided by Nords alone.

Galmar rushed Artur who was watching the aging Nord move; Galmar moved his shoulders to the left his weight apparently going to his right foot. In response Artur got ready to block the blow with the steel shaft of his battleaxe. Only at the last second did he notice Galmar turn on his hips and spin the other way bringing the long heavy blade of the Greatsword round the other direction into Artur’s armour. The blade though not piercing the armour bent it inwards, Artur shouted in pain as he felt a rib crack under the force and stumbled to the side.

“Old I may be but you’ll be lucky to live this long” Galmar gloated.

“Heh” Artur expired the word as an almost breathless acknowledgement of Galmar’s skill. While stumbling forward he feinted to fall Galmar stepped back, to avoid collision, in response Artur lunged out with the heavy end of the Battleaxe quickly catching Galmar on the knee. Landing on his haunches Artur was rewarded by the sound of a loud crack as Galmar’s knee gave out under the force of the strike.

“As, I, said, old” catching his breath Artur stared at Galmar as he stumbled backwards on the bad leg falling into the table. Quickly Galmar did his best to recover his stance with the Greatsword as Artur struggled back to his feet hunched over due to the damage to his ribs.

“You in any rush mercenary?” Galmar looked at Artur as he spoke.

“None, you want to see how the living legends are doing then” Galmar smiled at Artur’s quip.

Nodding his ascent “Ulfric’s going to take her down a peg or two you know, even if he is just a Jarl”.

Artur smiled as he watched Kathryn leap over a table Greatsword pointing straight out like a fired arrow at Ulfric “He’ll never see it coming” then under his breath “Just like you”.

Ulfric braced dual wielded axes at the ready for Kathryn as she landed in front of him, momentum skipping her towards him. Ulfric swung his left axe straight at her torso flicking the flat of her Greatsword blade sideways she knocked the axe from its path, the blow turning Ulfric in his stance. He tried to swipe at her with his other axe, but she had already passed his reach. All Ulfric could do was watch as she slammed her foot onto the ground as she was beside him facing the other way. Forcing her momentum to switch directions, she spun on the spot; the sharp of the Greatsword flew towards Ulfric’s neck and as quick as he saw it happen, Ulfric’s head landed on the ground.

“Ulfric” Galmar called out then stopped and gagged, his eyes slid in their sockets towards Artur, who was holding a dagger he had at the instant of Ulfric’s decapitation swung and then plunged into Galmar’s neck till the hilt felt flesh. Blood gurgled out over Artur’s hand and down Galmar’s neck till his eyes rolled back in his skull then the knees went slack and he slid off of the blade and fell to the ground.

“Brutal but efficient Legate Kathryn, I had hoped to give them the option to surrender, however it seems you Nords know the truth of the matter when it comes to war. Only death ends a battle, you though mercenary what is your name?” At Rikke’s prodding he got it right “Artur you may be useful yet you are the flip side to that coin. I have never seen someone revel in fast and vicious slaughter as much before I set eyes on you. Legate you pay the man and then send him on his way I am sure there is some where he can find work within Tamriel. Kathryn, if you could join me we have an army to relinquish to its boon, time for one more speech I guess”. General Tullius finished talking and headed to the door muttering under his breath “I hope we didn’t just make him a Martyr”.

Kathryn cleaned Ulfric’s blood from her blade and shrugged at Artur, she turned on her heels and followed the general with Kathryn to address the troops, who were assembled within the courtyard outside the Palace of Kings.

Standing alone in the throne room of The Palace of Kings Artur looked at the corpses of men lying on the floor. Soldier’s spilt blood dashed his braced iron armour giving it a pinkish patina, normally comfortable he felt burdened. Without thinking he started to undo the leather straps holding the two torso sections tight to his gut. He then undid the latches holding the armour over his torso. It fell to the ground with an almighty clatter, it could have woken the dead, and alas it didn’t.

This hall would stink soon if these bodies weren’t moved Artur mused, he pulled off his gauntlets and iron boots. His body shuddered and he felt weak on his feet now the battle was over the pain at his ribs stabbed at him and he hobbled through the empty room till he got to the throne. Metres away Ulfric lay on the ground his head separated from the body by a bloody gulf of space.

Sitting in the throne he focused all his thoughts into a mantra he had only recently learnt and started to turn his head to the task at hand. He was no mage so any form of magic was to a degree beyond him, however necessity being the mother of invention for a battlefield veteran such as himself. He had learnt a healing spell through stubborn repetition, slouched in Ulfric’s empty throne he applied it to himself and over the minutes felt the agony easing till it was a mere subsided ache. He kept his eyes closed and enjoyed a moment of rare peace.

The sound of the door opening brought him out of his slumber; he spotted Legate Rikke walking into the throne room. She was obviously carrying his payment in one hand, she stopped shocked when she saw him only attired in loincloth languidly slouched on the now vacant throne.

“Does your dishonour know no bounds Nord” She spoke quickly and vehemently at his apparent disrespect of a downed enemy.

Chuckling Artur responded “Please, call me Artur; I seem to remember you all had no issue with my apparent dishonour when you needed Stormcloak forts taken. Nor had you any compunctions sending me along with your precious Dragonborn, so she wouldn’t spot your mistreatment of Nords guilty only of a faith you yourself share, isn’t that right Legate? Afraid she would spot something that would send her to joining Ulfric opposed to loping his head off for you all” By the end of his tirade Artur was standing before the Legate who had advanced on him while he was talking.

“Why did she find your company so welcome, Artur?” was Rikke’s reply.

“The same reason you are paying me so much I guess, though honestly I don’t question it. She is the closest thing I have had to a friend in a long time”. To this statement of Artur’s Rikke took off her Imperial officers Helmet and laid it down on the table. She proffered him the bag of Septims, when he held them she reached up to his cheek and stroked it softly.

“It is a shame you have never held an Amulet of Mara, you may have missed a few chances of happiness during this conflict mercenary. She is not the only friend you could have had however you have had to consistently be the most amoral combatant I have ever witnessed. Can’t you fight like a Nord?” Rikke unclipped her armour from her body as well; standing opposite him she assumed a grappling stance and smiled at him.

Artur stared at her slowly weighing up his options, he knew what the Legate wanted, and this was not the first battle that had led to them consummating some form of temporary union. Yet now the war was over he knew that Kathryn would be venturing to continue her quest to find out how she came to have the voice and the bloodlust that came with it, a journey she wouldn’t need him for.

He would be given the option to stay on with Rikke’s clean up squad, to hunt down more Stormcloaks still in hiding. Looking at Rikke he knew what he wanted and he knew that he couldn’t have it; he was too long in the tooth to settle for second prize with the Legate.

Frowning he shook his head “I cannot, you deserve someone of honour, besides if you do not pay me, I cannot fight you” he reached down and picking up her armour he handed it back to her.

As she stood silently putting on her helmet and armour, Artur wrapped himself in various garments and robes from the downed soldiers lying around, pulling on fur gauntlets and boots. He pulled a sword off of a dead Stormcloak and the Greatsword off of another to this odd behaviour she had to ask “What about your iron armour?”

All Artur could say before he left the hall with his pay and new attire was “It doesn’t fit anymore”.

Artur spotted Kathryn in conversation with the General as he slipped out of the Palace of Kings; he quickly and deftly pushed through the throng of Imperials as he entered Windhelm. As he was walking he overheard a Dark Elf speak to an Imperial guard “Surely if a child is by himself in a house it should be dealt with, especially if he is practicing witchcraft”. The Imperial guard just shrugged muttered something about silly superstitions and having more important things to do and walked off.

Artur walked over to the Dark Elf “Could you repeat for me what you tried to tell that guard?”

“Of course, I was trying to get him to understanding that there is a child here called Aventus Arentino, he is trying to summon the Dark Brotherhood”. The Dark Elf looked quite stressed by this information, so Artur decided to assuage him, besides he was interested a child trying to summon the Dark Brotherhood, it was unheard of.

“Never mind, I’ll take care of it; you will find the child to be no more of a problem. Now run along and celebrate, your imperial liberators are here” To that final statement the Dark Elf shot a look of poison through him and walked off.

“Aventus Arentino, interesting name well we shall just have to see what comes of this”. Artur disappeared into the gloom of the Windhelm streets.

To Part Fourteen

Start Dale

Part 14: A Jarl for Riften

Watching from the company of her fellows she witnessed as the Listener tortured the Thalmor agent. The last time she had seen him was after the assault on the Palace of Kings, then he had disappeared after the generals speech, Legate Rikke wouldn’t speak about what had transpired in the keep. It was a shame that he had gone, he would have made a useful ally in her further adventures, if only his brutality could have been smoothed off.

When she heard he had died as a Dark Brotherhood member successfully assassinating the Emperor she hadn’t been surprised, now to see him here as the Listener of the dark Brotherhood was a shock. Yet wrapped in his Ebony Mail and other Deadric gifts he looked every inch the merciless killer that he was set to become from the first day she had met him.

He stood up as the Thalmor Justiciar dropped down onto the ground presumably dead and was approached by the Falmer that had escorted them to the surface. They had a brief debate and then the Falmer filed back to the entrance way and into the Dwarven ruin without a word spoken to the rest of them, not that she could understand them anyway.

“Well Artur?” Kathryn stepped forward to speak to him and was joined by Josin.

“Well we all have a task to do, the only reason the Falmer have been given a chance to pull themselves out of their slow extinction dive is to stop an old enemy from returning. You heard the pale royalty down there Josin, why don’t you tell Kathryn what they told us”. Artur pulled out a piece of paper and started to write on it.

“Kathryn, the Dwarves they are trying to come back” Josin clutched his dagger in his hand as if it was a protective ward.

“How, could they come back, from where?” Kathryn asked.

“The Falmer don’t know, though I think there is a way we could find out but as we have noticed the Thalmor are onto this as well. They will need to be taken care of before we are fighting on two fronts”. As Josin finished, Artur handed him a note on a piece of paper.

“Tell no one what you read on that Josin, not even the Dragonborn. Save it for a time you need it and use it well” Artur replaced his Masque and spoke again. “I will deal with the Thalmor at their embassy, besides I’ve always wanted to meet Elenwyn. You too will have to hunt down the location of the last of the Dwarves. I advise you only take those whose motives you can trust on this” At that point Artur seemed to be speaking only to Josin. “I will be back with my associates at a later date, don’t look for us we’ll look for you” Then Artur vanished into a blizzard that had suddenly formed around him.

Josin and Kathryn trudged through the snow back over to their companions who were sheltering from the storm in the ruins entrance way.

Kathryn looked over to him “Now what?”

Josin stole one more glance at the note Artur had handed him and tucking it into a spare pocket said “We go looking for someone who should no longer exist and ask him some very difficult questions”.

Josin stopped short of the group and grabs Kathryn’s arm “We need to talk about something” Kathryn turns to him and spotting his nerves gives him a few seconds to gather himself.

“Remember when we had to go to Windhelm years ago to find the Jarl?” Josin started.

“Yes” Kathryn replied.

“Well I may have left some things out of the actual sequence of events that may now be important” Josin stated.

“What things?” Kathryn asked obviously getting more irate.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Alone though Josin my lad, are you sure about this?” Brynjolf questioned.

“He won’t go alone Brynjolf, I will be journeying with him till this quest is complete” Kathryn stood beside Josin in the middle of the cistern, she had dismissed her fellows yesterday and only now did Brynjolf guess the reason the Harbinger hadn’t left with her Companions.

“We have been commissioned by the Harbinger, by a debt of loyalty between our two organisations. As we helped the Harbinger oust the Thalmor plant Maven, she will now help us get a new Jarl for Riften, a Jarl that Riften can be proud of and one that will work for the betterment of all her people” At the last sentence Josin smiled winking to Brynjolf who merely nodded at the intended meaning.

“If this is what you wish to do then, I shall only wish the two of you safe journey” Brynjolf left them in the Cistern to get ready for their journey.

It was later on in the evening the two of them crept out of Riften, they clambered into one of the tied up boats and silently pushed off out into the lake. Using an oar they directed the boat out into the middle of the lake at the pace of a slow drift.

“Okay so now you have us out here what are we to do in the middle of a lake, Josin?” Kathryn grinned in the gloom of the settled dusk.

Grinning he replied “No that, well not yet, I have one quick errand to run first pass me that hood over please”

Kathryn passed the hood over, watching as Josin slipped it on and removed the rest of his armour “Not exactly what I had in mind Josin”. Without mentioning anything Josin merely shook his head then slipped off the side of the boat and into the lake.

“Josin, bloody thief could at least give me a clue as to what he is up to” Kathryn slunk into the boat and waited. The minutes drifted pleasantly past, as the boat buoyed on the still Lake.

Kathryn awoke as the water broke over the side of the boat, Josin pulled himself out of the water and slipped into the boat “Got it, here take this”. Josin handed Kathryn a lock box which she set to the side “Slipping off the hood he smiled at her, this should make the task a little easier”.

“What is in the box Josin?” Kathryn picked up the oars and sunk them into the water pulling a stroke out she moved the boat off of its stationary rest.

“A quill, a very useful one at that Maven commissioned it especially from a Mage at Winterhold. However her oaf of a courier lost it in this very lake, I had tried to ask him where it was exactly once a long time ago. I must have enraged him for he rushed me weapons drawn. What choice did I have, he made it a live or die fight. It was only later I managed to figure out where it was, however it made more sense to leave it where it was opposed to locating it for Maven”.

“You truly do not like taking a life, do you Josin?” Kathryn had stopped rowing.

“No, I watched too much death as young Elf, I have vowed to not willingly take a life, except when no other choice is presented too me”. Josin had redressed himself in his Nightingale armours.

“You are a much more honourable friend than the last man I adventured with, that was so long ago and I swore at times he killed merely for the sake of testing his blade. Even though it was war, maybe it is with a different perspective that I look back now, still I am glad he is no longer with us. Well I speak enough of the past. Let us focus on the future, where are we going?”

“Kathryn get us to the lake mouth and the currents will take us part of the way to our first stopping point, Windhelm” Kathryn looked stony faced upon hearing the name of the city where she had executed Jarl Ulfric so brutally years ago.

“Why?” being all she could ask.

“Laila Law-Giver is going to write down the name of the next Riften Jarl” Josin smiled.

As it approached dawn on the river, Josin woke to Kathryn tapping his forehead “My turn” she simply stated handing him the oars she lay back in the boat and placed a rug over her head to block out the sun. Before Josin could say anything he heard her heavy slow breathing indicating she was asleep.

The boat passed under a bridge and continued with little effort from him, Josin propelled it onwards to its destination. The river opened up into a small lake with an island in the centre of it, he recognised the structure sitting amongst the cragged surface of the Island as Geirmund’s Hall. He had to dissuade Sapphire from leading an excavation party to the hall to look for riches and items of power for the guild. Until they had a better understanding of what awaited them within, he would rather she would satisfy herself with ordinary thieving.

That Sapphire one did puzzle him he was never quite sure of her, he remembers the number of different times when they were at the same level as initiates, she would always have the latest scheme or idea to make money. It was rare that any of the ideas actually involved true theft though he smiled amused that though she didn’t direct her efforts there she was a remarkable sneaker, she could move without even setting off traps, she just vanished from perception when she wanted too. He thought of the other members of his Guild, how their differing qualities worked together to form the group he was proud to lead now.

In rowing he entered a contemplative mood, letting the menial task take his mind away so he could focus on the various stages of his plan.

Floating along in the boat he noticed it was midday and raised his head to see Northwind summit in the far distance. A bridge was there in the near distance, they were getting closer and soon they would enter the Eastmarch Hold and they could follow the river almost all the way to the Windhelm, they would have to stop a couple of miles away from the city itself and walk due to the river turning to rapids as it flushed down the valley towards the sea.

He gently shook Kathryn’s shoulder and smiling at her pointed to the landmark, she immediately recognised it and pulled him to her and kissed him long and slow on the lips.

As the boat started to pass under the bridge she reached out to the stone and grabbing it she pulled their small vessel to a halt under the arch. She used a length of rope to secure the boat to the wall and then pulling Josin down to her kissed him once more, she pushed him onto his back and straddled him “Thanks for letting me sleep so long”.

Josin grinned, slipped his hand up her arm and grasping it flipped her over by lifting and turning her with his hips. He pinned both her arms on the bottom of the boat, and used his legs to hold her own legs down smiling back at her he leaned down to kiss her then pulled away slightly, she reached up to kiss him hard when they parted she playfully spoke “Don’t push your luck there”.

“What else is luck for if not to be pushed?” They kissed again and Kathryn’s hands fumbled and grasped at the straps holding Josin’s black armour on. She removed it and then let him take her armour off too, till they were both lying hidden under the bridge naked.

Stroking his chest Kathryn asked “Josin, why is this armour of yours different to your normal Thieves Guild gear?”

“I made a vow, part of it is secret, it has to remain that way, I may tell you one day but not now” Kathryn tried to look annoyed with Josin yet she could respect his wishes, she had been in the same type of situation before and so she decided to drop it for now.

She kissed him on his neck and he reached down to her side, running the tips of the fingers over her side he traced the curve of her body down to her legs. He could feel the touch of scar tissue on her body, where she had been burned by dragon’s breath and the deep cuts she must have suffered from during the Civil War. “You have faced so much struggle in your life, fought and suffered so much why do you go on, what if you could rest would you?” Josin looked her in the eyes and waited for her response.

“These are medals, trophies for being faster, stronger, better or just more determined than my opponent. I got them for the same reason I will keep on fighting and never rest. I cannot stop since I remember first picking up a weapon I have been drawn to battle. Even as a small slip of a girl, following my father out to war for the legion against my mother’s wishes of course” she smiled “So no I am happy where I am now, one day someone will find a way to stop me and i’ll go to Sovngarde, till then i’ll fight till my last breath” Kathryn had taken on that demeanour he remembered well from their first meeting, the one that attracted him to her yet scared him as well.

He moved until he was leaning over and with her holding and stroking his head and hair, he kissed her body. She moved under his lips pushing his head down till he was kissing her stomach, then she pulled him up so he could nuzzle her neck she reached down and felt for his hardness. Caressing it in her hand, she used her other hand to pull him closer to her and took him into her. Kissing him she encouraged him to slowly move deeper and deeper, till together they were moving as one. Her legs curled round him and hands tearing deep into his flesh as they built to a point of ecstasy.

Grasping and cradling her head in his hands he let the momentum build between them, he could feel her get closer as she dug her nails into him drawing blood. She spasmed in his arms as he kept going, her legs tight on his back demanded more. Till sweating together in deep lapping movements they both reached orgasm together.

Josin rested his head on her shoulder his body curled against hers they lay there panting, while the sensation subsided slowly.

“Can we rest here for long Josin?” It was as she stroked his forehead that she noticed he had dozed off lying on her chest, she smiled as she held him and let herself be carried away by the oscillation of the waves.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Kathryn found herself standing in an empty room, there were no doors and windows and light permeated the room as a diffuse fog. The room looked more like a box, as she peered deeper to the corners of the room. The light became more solid till it was fully pervading the whole room. It started to bleach out the edges of the walls corners and ceiling. Finally it ended up as an almost blinding glare that she stood in. Shading her eyes from it she tried to keep her vision unimpaired.

Reaching back for Wuuthrad Kathryn found it was missing, as was her armour, she was standing naked in this glare, how did she not notice. Even dead she would have known where Wuuthrad was, she had met Ysgramor when she journeyed to Sovngarde so many years ago. He had the same blade as her across his back. She remembered learning from him that once you carry Ysgramor it never leaves you, not truly.

“Show yourself Deadra!” Kathryn tried to command the white void. There was nothing, she felt fully alert no dream she had ever had before had felt like this. “Who is it?” As she grew frustrated she wondered how she had gotten here, this was obviously some Deadric trap laid out for her, though Kathryn was not built for waiting. Closing her eyes she focused and brought forth a shout one that permeated as a whisper outwards, dragon voice blurring through the white void searching for anything that may live in this place.

Finally the blowing whisper alighted upon a shimmering shape almost humanoid, yet gangly and tall with unlikely long limbs. A target even an ethereal one brought forth a sense of fortitude within her. Smiling she reached behind her back and pulled from some recess of battle the memory of Wuuthrad, it felt so real that she knew it would do the job.

“Come forth and reveal yourself intruder” she challenged.

Without reply from the slowly moving figure, Kathryn couldn’t wait any longer she charged the spectre, taking a leap she sped the razor sharp memory of the blade of Wuuthrad to the head of the long limbed apparition. It brought a hand up to block the blow, yet the blade sliced straight through it. The apparitions other hand flew lightning fast and knocked Kathryn to the ground.

The apparition spoke “So this is your soul, how interesting, this explains so much, why you can turn your very memories into weapons. I wonder, of course the voice why that must be how” The apparition began mumbling to itself Kathryn dazed by the blow tried to get up.

She felt a hand on her chest.

She woke in a jolt, felt a hand clamp tight on her mouth and before she could struggle Josin came into her vision with one finger he let her know to remain quiet. As he released her she could hear the sounds he was responding to above them. It sounded like troop movements, though it didn’t sound like they were just passing over the bridge. It sounded like they were moving something heavy along the road.

From above the bridge they heard a muffled series of orders given Josin with the better hearing could make them out more clearly than Kathryn.

“They are bringing a boat into the river apparently they are moving weapons in the night time” he whispered to Kathryn, who was slowly and silently slipping on the padding for her armour to go over “Stormcloaks” he finished to Kathryn when she mouthed ‘who?’ silently at him.

“Where are they going?” She whispered at him as she started attaching her Steel plated gauntlets.

Whispering back Josin relayed what he could overhear “They are taking the weaponry by rolling barge to some abandoned prison for safe keeping, they have it occupied currently. From what I can hear they have just finished a successful raid on the Mistwatch garrison”.

Though Kathryn had never seen one she had heard of the rolling barges, large long heavy boat like structures with greased wheels on the sides, used to ferry heavy loads across land and water without reloading.

“What do you think Kathryn?” Josin in matters of battle had now learnt to refer to Kathryn’s superior experience.

“I think it wouldn’t hurt once they are in the water and round the bend to follow at a very discreet distance. I for one would appreciate learning exactly what the Stormcloaks are doing before we proceed to Windhelm” Kathryn had that distant look she wore whenever any events reminded her of the Civil war.

Josin tied their small rowing boat to a nearby jetty while Kathryn kept her eyes on the abandoned prison. As soon as he was done he joined her “There are just two men, if we hadn’t watched them drag the weapons barge into the prison I would have assumed we were looking at just a couple of hunters resting for the night”.

“Kathryn it does appear that this incarnation of the Stormcloaks has no interest in drawing attention to themselves, not what I would expect from a group of battle happy Nords” Josin smiled in the dark at her.

“No not the Stormcloaks style at all, no offense taken by the way” She grinned back at him. “As a battle happy Nord myself, I remember fighting Stormcloaks in the Civil War while you were practicing picking locks I bet” Kathryn’s grin spread. “The Stormcloaks I remember liked the traditional loud brash plains style battles or they enjoyed a good long violent siege. Subterfuge wasn’t their style though they did take their lead from Ulfric on that score. Whoever is leading them now prefers the subtler arts of combat”.

“So what is our next move?” Josin enquired.

“Take out, the guards as quickly as possible find out where the rest of the weapons went and then wipe out the rest of the Stormcloaks. I still have my duties as a Legate in the Imperial forces to consider”. Josin hearing this reached out and grabbed Kathryn’s wrist.

“No, incapacitate them if you need to. However this is a Thieves guild job and we don’t kill unless absolutely necessary no matter the adversary. Tell me you will respect my wishes on this” Kathryn stared back at Josin for a second or two, looking like she wanted to strike him down for interfering, then she breathed out and sighed.

“As you wish Josin, I hope your way works out” At that Kathryn jumped up from their hiding place and rushed the two relaxing Nords as they sat by the entrance of the prison. Upon seeing her running at them they jumped up and drew their swords. One held his ground by the prison entrance the other rushed out to meet her.

As he braced with the shield the Stormcloak noticed Kathryn had no weapon drawn, smiling within his helmet he pulled his shield close to him. Stepping forward he lunged out with the blade to where he thought she would be, yet she had skipping side stepped the blow grabbing his wrist she used her momentum to twist it round behind the Stormcloak. Turning into his body she then brought the palm of her other hand hard down on the elbow joint of his now straightened out sword arm braking the joint and instantly the man dropped the blade. As he screamed out, she twisted the wrist further listening to the broken bones grind together she let go and he stumbled forward and with a quick kick to his head she knocked him out.

Looking over her shoulder she saw the other guard had watched the misfortune of his colleague. Now he was approaching to try and attack her though he was moving slower than his colleague with his guard up looking over his shield at her. Kathryn smiled and removed her helmet “It would be easier on yourself if you just dropped your weapons and surrendered”.

Obviously nervous the young Nord replied “I, I I’m afraid I can’t do that, you will have to surrender yourself, that is if if you survive”.

“Tell you what you should if you can last the next minute or two try out for, you know what never mind, sleep well” Kathryn beckoned with her head and the guard looked round just as Josin reached round and pressed a cloth over his mouth breathing in panicked breaths he quickly succumbed to the anaesthetic potion the cloth had been drenched in.

“Well that worked well enough” Josin smiled at Kathryn “Lets tie these men up and then we shall figure out where those weapons could have gone”.

After tying the guards up, Josin started to search the abandoned prison. Kathryn at first had tried to help but after a while she gave up baffled as to where the weapons could be. About ten minutes later Josin sauntered over to her.

“Let me guess you are as baffled as me thief” Kathryn looked despondently at him “Can we now question those guards?”

“No need” Josin replied kicking a chest beside him. At which point a portion of the masonry wall of the entrance way fell away revealing a steep tunnel into the dark “I figured out the entrance pathway pretty quickly, I’ve merely spent the remaining time checking for traps and trip cords, which are now all disabled”.

“You are a clever one, definitely worth keeping around then” Kathryn walked over to him and kissed him deeply. Then pushing him away she walked brazenly into the dark tunnel.

Josin had to run to catch up with her, once in the dark tunnel he tapped her side delicately to let her know he was there and for her to slow down.

As they descended through the depths of the tunnel they eventually saw a light in the distance getting brighter as they approached it. Reaching a junction they crept along the edge of the wall till Josin could stealthily creep into the corridor “Wait here” Josin whispered to Kathryn while he looked for the clearest path leaving the Harbinger in the dark till he had the area scouted.

From the dark he heard the unmistakeable sound of an arrow hitting and piercing armour then the sound of Kathryn falling to the ground in a crash of steel armour. Forgetting himself he rushed back into the dark and felt an arrow pierce his shoulder he reached for his blade yet his vision was getting foggy. He could barely stand and fell backwards into the lit corridor.

“Josin of the Thieves Guild why it is a pleasure to have such esteemed company with us. I believe if I’m not mistaken you brought the Imperial sell out Dragonborn with you as well” Josin tried to focus on where the voice was coming from as he felt himself losing consciousness he could make out an Elvin female figure approaching him.

She spoke some more “It is so long since I first met you in Riften I was sure you would amount to much and just look at you” At this she wrapped a blindfold over his eyes and before he passed out he managed to utter one word.

“Anuriel?” he gasped.

“Quite, now sweet dreams we’ll be talking soon” At this the world went black for Josin.

Josin awoke manacled in Irons to a steel chair with rugs draped over it. He could tell from how his shoulder felt that it had been healed while he was out cold. Whoever had him here wanted him alive and well however for what purpose he couldn’t decipher.

The drugged memories of just before he passed out were coming back to him. Anuriel, Laila Law-givers Steward from Riften as a Stormcloak, he wondered what was happening to have caused this. He decided not to jump to any conclusions before he had a chance to investigate further, of course that was dependent on him getting out of this chair.

At that the door opened behind him letting light finally into his room, it was small. Not much bigger than the chair he was bound to. He could hear two figures walking in from the softness of their foot fall he knew they were both women.

“Josin, you have the pleasure of meeting one of the Stormcloaks finest” Anuriel walked into his view as well as a large Nord woman heavy set in steel armour two imperial swords strapped to her side as well as an imperial bow and steel arrows across her back. She nodded brusquely at him once then resting against the wall let Anuriel continue to talk.

“Why are you here Josin?” Anuriel asked.

“Curiosity and the possibility of gold, lots of gold, now I know there are only Stormcloaks not any treasure here i’ll take my leave” He clanked his manacles theatrically at her “If you don’t mind” With a broad open innocent smile he looked Anuriel straight in the eye.

“Oh and has the Dragonborn Harbinger taken to joining the Thieves guild, that battleaxe of hers has half the elves here in a panic you know” Anuriel smiled back at him apart from the manacles around his hands and feet it would have appeared that it was two old friends catching up the way they were both smiling. The large Nord woman in the corner scowled at them both but remained silent.

“I wouldn’t take Wuuthrad too far from her, she can get a mite petulant when forced to go looking for it, and I know that from experience” Josin’s face remained innocently impassive.

“The Dragonborn isn’t going anywhere” Anuriel’s face dropped to a scowl as she spoke.

“Is she hurt?” Josin broke from his own smile for the first time.

“No, same as you, healed of her wound then bound, however we decided to keep her drugged and unconscious and tightly gagged just in case the Dragonborn decides to have words with anyone nearby” Anuriel was still scowling at him.

Josin grinned again “Oh that is a relief; she does over work herself that one, so she could do with a rest. You have my thanks”

At this point the large Nord woman pushed herself from the wall and walked over to them both “This is going nowhere, time for a different tact”.

Josin braced internally for a strike that never came instead the Nord woman leaned over him and spoke slowly “Tell me thief what did Maven’s face look like when you dethroned her?”

Looking the Nord woman back in the eye Josin spoke “Like she would rather have had both her arms cut off and then she squealed like we had cut them off. I for one was relieved when we finally got the Iron gag onto her moaning gob. Now tell me who are you, I so hate to be rude and I can’t very well refer to you as Large Nord female all night can I?”

“You can call me anything you like, as long as you do it from those manacles” At that the Nord woman walked out of the room.

Anuriel looked down at him smiling “So close Josin, yet so far”.

Brunwulf looked over at the attractive red headed Nord woman sharing his bed, not too many years ago he thought of her as a traitor whose capture in exile it had to be his duty to secure. Now he couldn’t have felt more grateful that the civil war had brought her to him and made him Jarl. Stroking her hair he looked at her face and down her pale body to the small bump at her belly where their child was growing.

His hand ran over her skin to her belly and as he rubbed it she stirred from her slumber “You want more old man? Please let me rest before you have your lecherous way with me” she laughed softly and nuzzled into his chest turning one leg over him.

“No my sweet Laila, you have had more than enough of me tonight I was just admiring you. Since you came here you have helped me form Windhelm into the prosperous and equal Citadel it is today” Brunwulf wrapped his arms round her.

“It is only that way because of both of our efforts now sleep husband we have a busy day tomorrow” At that Brunwulf blew out the candle and they lay together drifting asleep.

The large Nord woman walked into another cell, inside was manacled to a steel chair the prone and gagged form of Kathryn. The Nord woman pulled the drugged cloth away from the Dragonborn’s face and leaned against the wall waiting for her to come round.

Kathryn stirred gently and slowly took in her surroundings, eventually her gaze settled on the Nord woman and her eyes shot open.

“Can I trust you not to use that voice of yours on me then, Harbinger on your solemn oath?” The Nord woman spoke slowly.

Kathryn nodded slowly and clearly for the woman to see, the Nord woman removed the gag quickly and stood back. Kathryn spoke for the first time “Rikke is that you?”

Nodding yes Rikke spoke “Tell me what you are doing Kathryn, talk if you want to live. You are alive at my discretion alone”.

To Part Fifteen

Start Dale

Part 15: Underneath

“Rikke, what are you doing here with the Stormcloaks?” Kathryn was still shocked to see her old Imperial Commander and colleague working on the side of the Stormcloaks.

“I’m not the one chained to a chair for interrogation, so I’ll be asking the questions Dragonborn” Rikke countered.

“Okay for now Rikke, but I will want and get answers soon” Kathryn looked grimly at Rikke. Then she started to recount her tale honestly detailing how she met the Thieves Guild leader Josin, the conflict with Maven and the urge to find a new Jarl for Riften under the guidance of Laila the lawgiver the exiled Jarl.

Rikke finally seemed satisfied “Suppose it’s time I tell you about what we’re planning then isn’t it Kathryn?” To which Kathryn nodded.

The Dragonborn then felt sleepy she realised that Rikke must have infected her with the drug that had originally knocked her out, she struggled to stay awake. Though she was finding it hard to keep her eyes open the last thing she heard was “Alas it’s not your time to be brought on board yet Kathryn”.

Rikke gagged Kathryn again and returned to the cell that contained Josin. As she entered she smiled at him “We aren’t your enemy to prove it we are going to let you go shortly. However first i would like you to tell me one thing that would convince me to let you keep this knowledge of our existence. I know you thieves all you truly cherish is something that no one else has. Well you will be the only one outside our group who will know of our existence”.

Josin stayed silent for a while then spoke briefly “And Kathryn, what about her?”

“No the Dragonborn is too volatile to trust with half an answer, she would tear apart Skyrim just to get to the core of the matter. She is being drugged with a potion that will encourage her to forget the past few hours, tell her what you will when she awakes later and till she sees me again that will be her truth” When Rikke finished talking Josin spoke again.

“And what if I don’t assist you?” Josin asked.

“Neither of you remember any of this and awake somewhere safe and secure, but and this is the important thing you don’t get to know the half an answer that I know you would like to hear” Rikke smiled pleasantly for the first time at him.

“Well what do you want to know?” Josin finally asked of her.

“How are you going to get Laila to name the next Jarl of Riften? It’s the only bit I cannot understand. Why not just give her her old throne back now Maven has been dispatched with. What is wrong with Laila and why do you need a new Jarl, why doesn’t the thieves’ guild just run Riften themselves?” Rikke finished.

“The Quill of Germination, forces the bearer to write the truth no matter their own personal intentions. Laila in her soul knows the name of the next Jarl of Riften as do all Jarls, that is why Laila hated Maven on sight she could subconsciously see her exile and Maven’s ascension though she never knew it consciously. We all know our fates secretly, hence why nightmares and dreams are the way they are. Laila will now know who should replace her and Maven. The reason we don’t want Laila is that though she was a fair and kind ruler she wasn’t a good fit for Riften. From what i hear she is doing great work in making Windhelm the jewel of Skyrim’s northern lands again with her marriage to Brunwulf cementing a new dynasty, why take her away from that. Finally Riften needs a Jarl for the reason that all holds need a Jarl. To authenticate their claim to semi independence and sovereignty in the Imperial structure” Josin noticed Rikke wince very slightly in her eyelids at the mention of the Empire as if something painful had happened recently, he continued without mentioning it. “As well the thieves’ guild cannot run the Rift; it needs legitimacy to prosper as a city that is something that our guild just doesn’t provide, though we intend to as always remain involved in our city as proud members of the local business community” Josin finished his unintended speech.

“Business community indeed, well that all sounds reasonable enough as for the half of the meaning, well it goes like this. We want the Empire out of Skyrim for crimes against her people but only after the Thalmor and their allies are removed as well, remember that is only half of it Josin”. At the end of the sentence Josin felt a pin prick the back of his neck he realised that Anuriel was standing there behind him. He started to feel light headed and was beginning to lose consciousness.

“You tricked me” Josin sighed as he lost continued to consciousness.

“No you will remember this meeting we just don’t want you awake for when you leave our company, remember Josin half the meaning is hidden” At that he passed out.

He awoke with a start in the corridor where they had been attacked earlier, now opposed to a tunnel stretching away from him there was a solid earthen wall blocking any further exploration. No sign of weapons storage was evident from the state of this basement area it merely looked abandoned and disused. Across the way he spotted Kathryn still unconscious from whatever drug she had been given by the Stormcloaks.

He went over to her and spotted she was healed and well if drugged unconscious, lying beside her was Wuuthrad, Josin smiled to himself. It appeared that the Stormcloaks truly didn’t wish them any harm and though used to cloak and dagger activities this was a new level of deception he was encountering.

He picked up Wuuthrad in one hand and bracing himself he scooped Kathryn up with his other arm and started to drag her out of there before anything else happened. As he left the prison he looked for the bodies of the fallen and bound Stormcloak guards yet they were gone. He set Kathryn down and waited for her to come round from the drug and decided what it was he would tell her.

In the meantime two mysteries floated round in his head for him to puzzle over, first what were Elves doing in the famously segregation minded Stormcloaks. Secondly what on earth had that large Nord woman hinted at by mentioning half the meaning of it all?

“Josin” Kathryn wearily raised herself head from the ground and propped herself up on her elbows “What happened?”

“The tunnel turned out to be an elaborate trap designed to go off when opened. The blast almost killed us both, thankfully I managed to keep enough wits about myself to drag us out before the tunnel caved in” This appeared to be the truth shortly after he had dragged Kathryn and himself out of the tunnel it collapsed. The Stormcloaks must have another tunnel entrance into their warren but he was unable to scout it out. So far it made sense to play along with Rikke’s wishes though he would need to ensure their next encounter happened with his side in the position of power.

“How did you miss the trap?” Kathryn seemed to be getting less groggy so Josin helped her to stand up they began to head back to the boat.

“There was no sign of a trap, as far as I can tell the device was set to go off if the door was opened from the outside. There were no trip wires or special devices to look for, that is why I missed it. That failure to look for the simplest of mechanisms almost killed us both” Josin looked away from Kathryn as they walked.

“Well at least we live and you managed to get us out of the tunnel before it crushed us. Any sign of the Stormcloaks?” They had arrived at the boat.

“None” Josin motioned for Kathryn to get into the boat “We should continue for Windhelm now, as this distraction as almost gotten us killed as it is”.

Kathryn simply nodded and Josin pushed the boat off from shore and started to row the boat along the river towards Windhelm. Their eyes met with Kathryn steadily holding his gaze for a few seconds Josin could swear she was staring through him reading what was sitting at the forefront of his mind. This smallest of betrayals felt like a weight yet he knew the secret it had to be kept.

Kathryn suddenly smiling sweetly “I must sleep, you be a good man and row us for a while, Thanks” At that she rested her head down and fell asleep under the starry Skyrim night.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Laila Law-giver awoke early in the morning, rising from bed as usual at least an hour before her betrothed. She first went to the adjoining room to check on her first born son of this union with Brunwulf. After stealing a short glance she went to her chambers and with the aid of a maid got herself ready. Then she left the keep and headed out into the city of Windhelm proper. Ever since being ousted from Riften and sent here for her own protection as Tullius had put it, she had resolved never to be restrained to the expectations of a Jarls role again. Now she walked in the streets met the citizenry and made sure to take an active role of her new city and hold. This is something that Brunwulf appreciated greatly, for though the old soldier was a strong leader he was no politician a role she had grown into.

Her first stop as usual was at the Hall of the Dead, she liked Helgird who toiled there. Besides there was the planning for the future to take care of, Brunwulf had once told her that steel of one pure metal can shatter like glass if struck wrong. Strength comes from the many alloys mixed together. If we wishes Skyrim to be strong work will need to be done to unify the separate races that toil in our lands. For that they will need to give a common purpose one which may need some subterfuge. This new life she had allowed for more strength and growth than she had previously displayed.

Entering the crypt she caught the priestess going about her morning prayers.

“Ah Laila” the woman intoned “Sorry to bother you but I received the most damndable package today. You are doing the rounds I see amongst the various merchants today. Could you help an old woman out by taking this to the blacksmith for me? It was meant for him but that courier dropped it off here again. No talking to him could get him to take it to the blacksmiths” Helgird picked up the package and handed it to Laila.

“Of course it is a pleasure to help out one our venerable friends” Laila tucked the package under her arm and proceeded to leave the Hall after she paid her morning benediction to the Shrine.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
“Kathryn, we’re here” Josin shakes Kathryn awake in the boat as it coasts towards the river bank near a small dwelling. In the distance the city of Windhelm squats heavy grey and foul tempered within the Skyrim landscape.

“You hid the truth from me Josin?” Kathryn angrily faced him outside the Dwarven ruins in the snow.

“Yes, I never meant for it to be so long however reasons transpired to force this action. I am so sorry I had to lie to you by excluding you from this. I had very good reasons, very important and dangerous reasons. All will be revealed and explained when we reach Winterhold” Josin was holding her hands and hoping that she could read how much keeping secrets from her had hurt.

“Until Winterhold then you tell us everything Josin, or I will raise my voice” Grinning Kathryn walked away from him however Josin could feel the very real threat hiding underneath that grin.

“Where is that damndable savage?” Serena stands in the undergrowth of Whiterun hold. The light from a nearby Giant encampments fire glistens softly off of her skin on the overcast night. Serena casts the clairvoyance spell that J’zargo taught her focusing the mind’s eye on Lydia’s location as she had been instructed. A glimmering light flowed on the ground in a pulse leading off towards the hills in the distance. Serena memorized the path of the light has the magic started to fade. Setting off into the distance Serena noticed the occasional appearance of what looks like large dog tracks.

As Serena approaches a series of bushes at the starting slope of the nearest hills she hears a branch snap about twenty metres behind her. Vampire senses flaring to life she focuses on the surrounding environment. The presence of six figures behind her cause a very slight pause in her breath. Turning casually she scans behind her seeing nothing she continues to walk forward noting the sense of heat she has picked up. Taking her bearings and feeling the movement of the air behind her she listens out for further noise. A slight rustle gives her all the information she needs turning mid step she launches a lightning bolt behind her. Connecting the bolt sears and separates the flesh of a Thalmor Mage killing him instantly and as he dies five Thalmor soldiers pop into existence.

“The word you boys are searching for is; Attack” Serena smiles pleasantly before flickering in the air. Appearing in front of one of the Thalmor soldiers she grabs the neckline of his Elvin armour and gripping the helm in the other she snaps his head back breaking his neck. One of the quicker Thalmor swung his mace connecting with Serena’s head knocking her backwards and delirious. The other soldiers drawing swords got ready to advance on her with their Commander. Serena blinded temporarily by the blow grabbed at her own one handed mace and swung quickly but still delirious from the blow unable to focus.

The four Thalmor spread out surrounding Serena in a square formation, each soldier grinned cruelly at her helplessness. Surrounded Serena could just about keep to her feet, yet she could feel the delirium start to pass she knew though she would not have the time to recover. She bundled forward swinging the mace trying to strike any Thalmor she could, the force behind the swing could have easily laid out one of them however without precision it was wasted effort as the Thamor in front of her easily side stepped the blow. An act of cruelty he flicked out his sword and sliced a deep gash into her calf muscle separating it causing Serena to stumble and fall to the dirt beneath her.

A howl causes the Thalmor to turn as it is visceral and close a dark shadow moves large and violent in its intent. Covering a large distance in a few bounds it leaps, landing on the nearest Thalmor to it forcing him to the ground it rips the head off of his body between large bloodied jaws. Another Thalmor tries to lunge at it with his sword but it is swiped easily by the massive prehensile paw. The other follows round and tears the Thalmor’s jawbone off of his face the shock rendering him dead instantly. Without pausing the beast covers the next two strides to the next Thalmor killing him with a deadly swung blow. The final Thalmor has recovered enough to draw his bow and pierces the beasts flesh with a flaming arrow. Though hardly harming the creature it rises terrified by the fire and loses its purpose of attack. In response the Thalmor grabs his sword and prepares a killing strike. However he never gets the chance to land it as a massive lightning bolt kills him in the same manner as the mage earlier. Serena rises to a crawl from her prone position and lumbers towards the beast she focuses on emitting soothing sounds and summons a calm beast spell. The creature still panicked by the fire makes no move against her allowing Serena to get close enough to pull the arrow from its flesh. The soothing spell starts to take effect once the fire is extinguished and the beast subsides resting till it begins to shrink. Shedding its bestial form it slowly morphs into the shape of a young malnourished Nordic woman.

Serena looks down at her with calculating pity “Lydia, I presume?”

To Part Sixteen

Start Dale

Glad you like em, just working on Part 16 i'll post it later on. Then it may be a while to the next part as it is still to be written raw but it is coming.

Start Dale

Part 16: Diplomatic Service

Darkness hangs over the hills of Solitude city drawing up the mountain that it resides on till it reaches its peak. Then sliding down it finds a large building unlit in the passing dusk. As night approaches no lights come on. Figures in pristine armour effortlessly patrol the perimeter. Within the building there is a cellar and behind one concealed entrance there is a cave.

“Again, why are we involved?” Cicero intoned from a black corner of the cave.

“Because the Listener said we are clown” Nazir impatiently whispered back touching his weapons. Babette stood at the back of the group of four assassins.

“Wait, okay you lot when we get in here can all of us for once try and remain professional” Artur shot back.

“Was that directed at me?” Nazir sneered back.

“Oh my Redguard friend no one could ever accuse you of being unprofessional, you are so professional one would assume you charge by the hour” Cicero gleefully interjected.

“What did that clown say” Nazir turned with his weapons drawn to face Cicero.

“Okay new rule, Nazir is to lighten up some while everyone else is to act more professional. This isn’t a small assassination attempt; we want to lop the head off of the Thalmor in Skyrim itself” Artur shot a warning glance at all in the squad.

“Again I ask why” Cicero smiled then frowned very seriously as Babette gripped his shoulder tightly and squeezed. “Okay okay, serious time here, I remember the brief, just having some fun” Cicero finished with.

Artur nodded thanks to Babette who merely smiled ascension as she remembered the meeting that happened a day ago.

Sitting in the Dawnstar were his Brotherhood, all around the long table waiting news on whatever it was that was important enough to call a halt on all current assassinations. Artur walked in and as one the assembled members of the Dark Brotherhood got to their feet.

Babette was the first to speak to gain a better view of the returned Listener she simply climbed onto the table “You have been gone a month Artur, a month we have been in lockdown waiting for who knows or what knows to smash through the gateway. What do we need to know?”

Artur turned to her “You Babette you need to pay more care when helping Snow Elvin Princesses return to existence, thanks to you it appears we have a new branch office” he hadn’t even slowed down his walk, passed straight through the room and on to his personal quarters. The assembled assassins merely looked at each other until Artur returned to the room carrying a couple of bags, he looked at their dumbfounded faces.

“What are you waiting for, time to hustle grab your gear any and all of your special toys. You five new people, you have your first major trial. All of you have sparred with Cicero and wondered how an old man driven mad by isolation and needing a stick to walk most days could best you” At this mention of his name Cicero took a long and theatrical bow then waved at the initiates “Well you are going to have a small taste of what made Cicero so; talented. You will be escorting the Night Mother to Irkngthand where you will join the Falmer in guarding her and our new colleagues. You may after I’ve finished with this brief report to Cicero for detailed care instruction in regards to the Night Mother”.

“Are we abandoning our home Listener?” Nazir who had remained silent now spoke.

“No Nazir, however part of the commission we have received recently means we could all even the Night Mother be vulnerable to counter attack. So we need to get prepared, whatever is coming in regards to the Falmer and their return is all part of Sithis plan. So it appears that we are now acting for the oldest payment that Sithis can offer”. The initiates were visibly confused by this statement.

Nazir interjected “The Listener means if we succeed we get to live”.

“Thank you for that Nazir. Now yourself, Babette and Cicero will be coming with me, we will be taking care of the Thalmor issue. They are already on our trail and as you know the Thalmor are ruthless in perusing their own goals. One of those goals appears to be the elimination of the Falmer and those who have found themselves in allegiance with them. So while the initiates are securing the Night Mothers new resting place, us four will be wiping out the Thalmor’s Embassy near solitude”. Nazir and Cicero appeared both puzzled by the news of the Falmer allegiance so Artur spoke to them both “Speak to Babette for the details of her part in this, I already know them myself now get to it, we will need every tool and weapon at our disposal if we are to succeed”.

With the Assassins getting their gear sorted Artur returned to his own quarters to get his own weaponry ready.

The four assassins waited for Artur to finish with the lock under the trapdoor “How did you find out about this route Artur” Babette asked.

“The Dragonborn used this as an escape route after she rescued an informant from the torture cells above us” he replied.

“Aren’t you moving in respectable circles now Artur” Cicero intoned, at that the lock clicked open for Artur.

“Okay, you know the job once inside. Kill everyone who isn’t one of us four”. At that he swung open the trapdoor and entered the Embassy.

The Thalmor guard walked down the staircase entering the interrogation chamber as he noticed the room was darker than normal he drew his Elvin sword and in his hand flared a fire spell as it was readied “Come out and face me, fools” he challenged.

“Actually I was thinking you should come in here and meet us” At this point an arrow shot out of the gloom an unholy voice pierced through his light armour as easily as the arrow that impaled his shoulder in his armour. He dropped his sword in pain turning to look at his shoulder grasping at the arrow with his free hand he noticed a rope tied to the end of the arrow. He tried to pull it off the arrow too late it tightened and he was pulled into the dark in one overwhelming jolt.

Landing in the dark he tried to struggle to his feet but a sharp object almost gently pushed him back down onto the ground from the dark the same unholy voice as before spoke “How many guards, wizards and others are there in the premises? Your answer may tell your fate”.

“I’ll never talk to you scum, the Dominion will prevail” The guard announced.

“Scum? I thought we were devout men on a holy duty. He can’t call us scum, tell him I want an apology” The guard heard another voice speak this time.

“Who’s there?” He whispered back into the dark.

“Look at that now we have lost our menacing tone, Cicero” A female voice rebuked the other in the dark.

Pain exploded in the guard’s left hand as he felt a large metal nail pierce his hand as it was hammered into the wooden ground he screamed out as the nail forced his arm to spread out against the floor. Then the same happened with the other hand, pain coursing through his arms both he was impaled against the wooden ground, he couldn’t scream anymore when the same happened to his feet leaving him spread eagled on the ground almost sobbing in agony.

“Who isn’t menacing?” A third voice now spoke.

“Babette thinks we aren’t menacing” A slightly manic voice almost sung back.

The guard found his scream as the blade started to pierce into his chest slowly “I know my bickering friends can seem a little innocent. Which they are but since one of them just nailed you to the floor you can probably see that their innocence like yours is relative to the act in hand”. The unholy voice had returned to him “So what are those numbers again or I will leave you with my innocent friends”.

“There are about twenty odd guards’ three Battlemages and about four servants. That is all I know please stop them, the blade it hurts so” The Thalmor’s voice had faded to a shuddering sob with the pain of the blade slightly piercing his flesh.

“Where is Elenwen?” The unholy voice roared in retaliation.

“Gone, she left to meet the returned. That is all she would tell us” At that the blade pierced to the heart and silenced the Thalmor guard finally.

The darkness faded back to light in the room, with Cicero standing in the centre of it holding a staff between his two hands outstretched, the darkness faded back into the tip of his staff, revealing a brightly lit room.

“Aw sunrise again” Cicero frowned as he replaced the staff over his back with the others.

“Never mind that clown, what do we do about the Thalmor prisoners Listener?” Nazir questioned Artur.

“Do they look useful?” Artur replied wiping the blood of his sword free of the Thalmor’s spilt blood.

“They smell pretty much dead Listener in my humble opinion” Babette replied from the corpse of the Thalmor guard she tore into his neck draining the blood from the corpse. Feeling their eyes on her she raised her head again “I’m hungry; waste not want not as my mother used to say” smiling she returned to her meal.

“Fine I’ll finish them, we aren’t on a rescue mission” Artur announced.

“Have we ever been on a rescue mission?” Nazir questioned sardonically.

Cicero smiled at him “The Redguard made a funny but to Sithis all missions are rescue missions” he replied.

At this rebuke three Thalmor came through the door and spotted the scene of carnage from the upper floor. Nazir was the first to respond firing another arrow at the lead guard this one also had a rope attached to it. As the arrow pierced the guard Nazir dropped the bow and grabbing the rope he pulled the guard from the balcony with one arm the other pulled out one of his curved swords and as the guard fell he sliced upwards into the Thalmor’s neck decapitating him in a stroke.

Babette tore herself from her feast and in a flickering of fast movement she bounded to the table then hurled herself onto the balcony handrail, crouched she pushed herself at the furthest back guard. Landing on his shoulders she reached with her hands under his chin and the back of his neck and using her entire supernatural body strength she pulled the head clean off the guard’s shoulders.

Cicero pulled out a throwing knife and tossed it at the third guard as he was turning round the stairs descending to the lower floor. The blade sped to its target in the guard’s forehead, stepping forward the guard tried to reach up to the blade before the eyes in his head rolled up and he fell down the rest of the stairs.

Artur turned to them after finishing off the remaining prisoners, replacing his knife into his sheath “Well it looks like we are underway”.

At that the four of them climbed the stair and picking different directions entered the Embassy, murder their only true motivation.

The Embassy was burning like a funeral pyre in the Nordic winter upper sections of the roof were starting to crumble and collapse in on it. From within came muffled screams and smashing sounds to which the heavy front doors ripped open and amongst the wooden shrapnel a High Elvin Battlemage flew to the ground. Hitting it hard he rolled and sprang to his feet twisting in the direction of the gates he started forward, stopping short just before he ran into Babette standing still and smiling sweetly with her head tilted to one side.

Though blooded and torn with scorch marks across his exposed flesh, clothes and robes hanging off of him the High Elf summoned himself to a commanding pose and with scorn etched in every line of his face sneered at Babette.

“Little vampire I would advise you move before I fricassee you and feast on your corpse” As he spoke his hands formed special shapes and flames started to spout spilling up his arms and shifting from red to searing bright white flames. “I burnt everything that was foolish enough to stand in front of me in the Embassy, now I burn you and the Thalmor will spread across this frigid land and torch it from the face of Tamriel. Your lesser friends are dead, now join them!”

Flinging his hands out two spouts of white hot flame trailed straight at Babette covering her form, splitting her flailing form and in a short screech cracking her bones. Falling to the ground she was suddenly still. The Battlemage dropped to his knees drenched in sweat he crawled towards the corpse. Reaching it he tore a strip of flesh and pulling it to his mouth slowly consumed it. He tore off another few strips and started to eat sitting upright he slowly gained his composure.

“Taste good?” Babette sat in front of him untouched by flame cross legged smiling with innocent enquiry.

“Who?” The Battlemage managed to splutter flesh falling from his mouth.

“The same person you managed to take such care to smuggle from the building before joining your colleagues in attempting to vanquish your invaders” As Babette spoke the rest of the Brotherhood started to materialize around the High Elf. He felt cold steel against his throat, leading to a blade materializing revealing an arm clad in ebony armour. The Elf could feel the heavy weight of a large armoured male behind him.

“My son...” Head hanging the High Elf was broken in one simple moment, skin paling he looked ashen dead as the truth of recent events sunk in. Artur slid the blade across the Elves throat, easily spilling his blood he held the Mage upright till he trembled through his last death rattle.

“Oh, so you didn’t want to interrogate him?” Babette enquired.

“No without Elenwyn here the mission was simply to remove the main point between her and the Thalmor lands. Wherever she is she will have brought a contingent of her most efficient warriors with her. A Guerrilla force disguised to remove as much suspicion as possible, yet she will hear of this and she will know we are on to her and will know she is now cut off. Our next stage will to be locate her but for that we will need to rely on Josin” Artur stood up cleaned the blood off of his blade and turning back to the burning embassy now almost completely collapsed.

Cicero using his stick walked up to him “Irkngthand?”

“Yes let us return you back to your Night Mother and consult on our next move” As the embers of the fire blended with the snow Artur smiled slowly “Rikke would have loved this”.

High above the snow strewn mountains Kathryn soared turning over lightly in the wind cloud vapour tickling her skin. Having always enjoyed these dreams she let the wind take her resolving to remain here and light from troubles for as long as possible.

Snow streaked around her form and as she gently tumbled and rolled around the sky. Facing the ground she felt the familiar tug of the ground. She kept on flying still and turning, till the encampment wandered from the edge of the horizon into her view point. About twenty human tents snow covered from a recent blizzard. They must have just rested to wait out the storm and now that night is coming they may as well stay there. Leaning in to her left side she shifted and started to slide down through the air with ease.

Now plummeting wings folded in she let the ground rise until it was close enough then releasing the massive span she picked up the air and levelling out she grinned. Her younger brother would be dismayed at such petty destruction especially considering the arm coming to their own kind. The rebellion from their worshippers had given her the idea that maybe it would be better off without life clogging up all the time. Grinning she exhaled a massive plume of fire white hot that melted the snow and rock as she passed it by. Men and women were vaporised alike, those not struck in the first torrent burst from their tents grabbing weaponry and trying to launch barrages of arrows while they fled.

Purple robes adorning them they hurried in the snow while above them she turned in an easy long glide flapping wings once she dropped down and blasted another group this time however she felt force pass over her form dragging her out of the sky.

“Not yet!” Screaming she grasped to get back upright and in flight, still plummeting though she hit the ground clawing at the air till the last foot of her fall. She scrambled to her feet but it was too late already they were upon her firing arrows deep into her hide slashing at her with swords and axes or any other tool or weapon they could find. In her terror she was sure there should have only been a few cowering figures left but now it was a torrent. Hundreds of red robed figures poured out of the snow or the gaps in her bloodied vision. All the while they kept using force to keep her crippled.

As blood poured from her destroyed hide she saw the mocking gold and porcelain masks behind the hoods mocking her defeat. Horned with terrible torn and split mouth the eye of each mask bored into her twin points of red light in black pits. All the while her blood splattered over their facades. Till she could do no more than lose consciousness knowing to do so would mean certain death. In the darkness the pitch black she was left in she could hear footsteps approach her.

“Ah the Dragonborn who dreams of being that which she hunts and devours. Soon I’ll do you the same favour as you do them” Two points of red light hung in the darkness. “Come see me sure, hasten my feast”.

Kathryn wakens groggy after a full night sleep the dream clearly in her memory, still she finds it unsettling, the same essence or spirit or some other thing has made a home in her mind over time rearing itself to taunt her. This is the first time she has seen an aspect of it, sitting in her bed roll in the tent she got the feeling that it wasn’t connected to whatever was coming with the Falmer. Still she was certain that it would be coming soon.

Lifting herself out of the bedroll she put on some wraps and slipped on her armour leaving the helm and her weapons in the tent she leaned outside and buried her head into the snow to chase the last of the grogginess away. Raising her head she spotted the entire encampment overwhelmed and surrounded by Stormcloaks. The nearest one approached her and walking over it took off its helmet her eyes widened in shock then memories flooded back previously hidden.

“Hello Kathryn, good to see you again” spoke Rikke.

Link to Part Seventeen

Start Dale

Simply amazing writing, Dale. I love all the twists and turns your story is taking. I especially enjoyed the ruthless dissection of the Thalmor in your last chapter, compliments of the Dark Brotherhood. :)

Glad you enjoyed the sequence it was fun to write.

Well aren't the brotherhood a comical lot I'm really enjoying the depth you're using with Thalmor and Falmer

:D They have their moments.

I have ran out of pre-written material that i was editing for posting so it may be a bit longer between uploads now. Still to keep the quality up. Fun things will be afoot shortly ;)

Latest posts