Tips for: House - Item Placement

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Bobothemonk

I just bought breezehome for 5000 and was happy. Before that I was using Gerdurs house in riverwood. (FYI you get a key to the house at start of the game and you can store whatever you want there and it will stay there)

Anyway I bought my first house and im abit of a pack rack so I started places the household items in my own way (didnt like the idea of cups and plates everywhere...Im a pack rat and abit of a wanker that way :D)

I soon found that you cant really custom fit the house (you leave and come back and your stuff is all over)

So I did some google work (found this site) and found that its pretty much the physics engine and theres nothing you can do about it :sadface:

Anyway long story short I think I figured out how to custom the house and have your stuff stay put and id like to start a thread and share my theory and see if others have the same experience..

1) place you stuff and leave house

2) Come back in and see whats moved
- You should find that if you re enter over and over no "new" items get thrown around

3) Re place fallen/scattered items and then re enter
- The items that were thrown around were placed in a manner the game dosnt like (for whatever reason)

5) Repeat until no items get thrown around (blammo you have a nice tidy home)

Tips

- stacking items is hard and will usually make them blow apart
Examply - Breezehome, you walk in the door and there is a table to your imediate left. I wanted that to be a "snack" table so I placed a bowl with several apples.... didnt work. I played around and was able to get a plate with 2 apples and a danish thingy to stack and they stayed put.

- Dont over crowd items, keep it neat and give everything room
Example - Breezehome, you walk in the door and there is a table to your imediate left. I tryed placing 2 sets of normal plates (plus a cup ect) and was having dificulty. I decided to place a single wooden plate (plus a cup ect) with afew food items and that was stable.

You could evolve this thread into a "how to furnish your home guide"

Once the items stay put you can enter and re enter a million times, just dont move the items and you wont risk them glitching out when you come back in.

(Screen shots to follow)

Ninargh

Gawd I hope this works. Spent HOURS meticulously arranging my bedroom in the Dawnstar Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary (while suffering my boyfriend's whining about my anal retentiveness) only to come back and find my hard work all ruined!

bosspatrone

Option #2: Pretend a ghost is set on sabotaging anywhere you choose to live...

Jk... that's a really weird thing for Beth to not fix considering that this is a role-playing game. Why would a person who buys a home not be free to decorate it as they see fit? I hope that a patch addresses the issue. At least PC folks will be able to use the creation kit to change make changes to their home.

Ninargh

I put my Ring of Namira on my mannequin - so perhaps it's now undead. And disapproves of my decor choices apparently.

After a bit more fiddling, I've found that the displacement of the objects isn't random or scattered - it seems that they're defaulting to their original position when dropped from the inventory screen. So it's just all the painstaking manual moving that seems to reset. With a bit of patience and crouching, I've also found (after much fiddling with the butterfly in the jar) that if you're careful you can drop the item where you want it to rest finally, and it'll remain there. But if the item is fairly top heavy, or rounded - it's virtually impossible as it'll fall over/ roll away.

intellectualjoke

not sure if this has been covered or discovered. drop items-save-quit to menu then just reload. everything will stay in place when you move it... though you have to either quit to desktop or menu every time you drop a new item. i usually drop a bunch of crud as i go then later, after it has piled up, i then do it.

the quick save/quick load never worked well for me. considering i've spent prob 100 plus hours decorating my homes i had to find a way to do it without wanting to stab someone in the face.

hope this helps...

redrkt

Premium Member
Why not just purchase all the extras for the house and store your stuff there?

Mabe

I spent about 30 minutes putting a room together in the Solitude house. I put the controler form and went to get a beer to celebrate. My dog jumps on the couch and somehow was able to hit RB and fus ro dah'ed everything into the wall.

Blackst0rm

Sometimes I get bored and Ice Storm spam my breezehome rofl. Any1 wanna help clean up? ;)

Chukkles

Ok so I found a statue of Dibella, other than it's 1000 price it's useless, I put it on my wife's bedside table.
I haven't been back, but would this still be there?

I guess I will check later when I get home from here (Work).

Tim Shoemaker

I don't know if this has been taken care of yet, if so, I apologize. Drop whatever items you want to place. Leave them right where they are. Leave the house. Come back in. place the items where you want. (This of course is the real hard part.) Leave the house and then come back in. They should all be set where you left them. I hope this works for you, it works for me on the PS3.

Firestar1230

I'm like you, I'm quite a packrat. I think I have found somewhat of a "cure" for this, it seems to work in some instances, but others not, but it mostly it does. I placed a dibella statue, two candlesticks, and two gem fragments on the floor in my Riften house, what I did was: after I placed them, I pressed the "hold" button like I was going to move it, but kept it exactly where it was. I walked out and back in my house twice and they stayed put without having to readjust them. I'm testing this right now with various other things, a falmer ear seemed to stay, but then I found it on the floor a few times later, so I don't know if it's permanent or not. The only thing this doesn't seem to work for is putting things in bowls (I tested this with a bowl and 2-3 human hearts... I know, but it's all I had on me at the time lol.) Someone else test this out and see if it's not just me, or what else it works with.

Firestar1230

Gawd I hope this works. Spent HOURS meticulously arranging my bedroom in the Dawnstar Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary (while suffering my boyfriend's whining about my anal retentiveness) only to come back and find my hard work all ruined!
Lol, I'm the same way, I spend so much time just sitting there trying to get things just right, I know if someone else was there, they'd just be telling me "what are you doing" "just leave it!" "Who cares?!" Lol

Tim Shoemaker

As for putting things in bowls. I tried to put jewels in various bowls. Most of the time after I put more than one in, they would start to "Fall" through the bottom. However. If you use a wooden bowl, it seems to work just fine. I have wooden bowls all over my house filled with gems. I am able to put fruits and veggies in the other bowls though.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts