• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Delusional

Connoisseur of Hallucinations
The civil war has ended and it's time for my Redguard Legate to settle down. He's a grizzled war veteran and quelling the Stormcloak rebellion has taken a number on him, so he's decided to get out and away from the cities and urban centers of Skyrim and find a place where he can live comfortably for the rest of his days.

However, there is a dilemma. While he has the current proposal of the plot of land in Falkreath, overlooking Lake Illinata, it seems that the area around that plot is very dangerous and teeming with hostile creatures, despite the gorgeous view and warm forest. Wanting to avoid constant attacks on his property, he has ruled out the Falkreath plot.

There are two other options, though. While he is not yet of a level where he even has the option of purchasing either of the other two plots, he wants to make the decision now so he can work for it in the near future.

So, which plot of land, Winstad Manor or Heljarchen Hall, would suit a tired Redguard war veteran who wants to settle down and raise a family in peace, seemingly separated from civilization?

I've been thinking that Heljarchen Hall is the better pick of the two, but for whatever reason that plot feels empty, unlike Winstad, which has several trees surrounding it, along with this awesome omnipresent blanket of fog.

JoeReese

I personally feel much more "at home" at Heljarchen, although I like the Winstad housecarl's magical abilities. Winstad has some beauty, but also seems to have the occasional draugr, which is rather disturbing. I think I sleep better, when there are only giants, wolves, bandits and dragons to worry about.

You could, since you're a redguard, get thanehood in all three holds, marry your redguard housecarl from Falkreath, take the guy from Winstad as a follower and put him in as the steward in Heljarchen, and then you've got all 3 badass housecarls hanging around.

Wildroses

If settling down involves adopting daughters, go for Heljarchen Hall. Girls hate Winstead Manor and complain constantly about monsters in the swamp, but they like the snow of Heljarchen Hall (although the boys complain a lot about the cold there but not with as much fear and dislike as girls about monsters in the swamp).

Personally, if you want the country isolated feel, I'd go for Heljarchen myself. You can see Solitude from Winstead, and I prefer the wide open spaces of Heljarchen to the oppressive marsh of Winstead.

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
Well, Windstad Manor has a really nice view of Solitude. Being a proud Imperial, that may be nice for your Redguard. I guess it would be nice for either side, though. If you were Imperial, that's your main base of power. If you were Stormcloak, that's where you tore down the tyranny of the Empire. Either way, win-win.

Delusional

Connoisseur of Hallucinations
Yeah, I've decided with Heljarchen Hall after some level of deliberation. However, before I can begin my house-building escapade, I first must get him up to level 22 so I can do the quests that are required to become thane of the Pale.

So, I'm changing his backstory slightly in order to accommodate for this period of wandering and exploring in order to gain levels before he finally settles down, after which some personal event will happen that drives him to seek out and join the Dawnguard.

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
Falkreath is my pick of all of them, I always make my family house Lakeview manor. I just think it is a much healthier environment to live in (apart from the occasional bandit/giant/dragon)

In saying that, I usually build Windstad manor as well, it's kind of my holiday house. (Probably because the quests to get it are less tedious) I like to build a trophy room and armoury in there to display all my spoils of war. It's nice and peaceful, Valdimar likes to mine his clay deposit 18 hours a day so he doesn't bug me, and I like the view of The Sea of Ghosts from my back balcony.

ZeroDragon

Bring me my broadsword, and clear understanding.
Lakeview Manor was my pick too, until I killed a dragon right outside and it's skeleton is usually floating around the door, or maybe the skull is half buried. I should get rid of it with the console command .. d'oh! So I moved to Winstad Manor and got tired of the whining girls going on about monsters in the swamp, so they are all at Heljarchen Hall now. So far no complaints, but if they do then I'm off to Raven Rock without them.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts