Thrall Thread : Living with the dead

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Adam Warlock

All the bodies at the orc stronghold were gone by the time I came back , Asta and Sond included.
Burguk and Ghorbash have also vanished after leaving them 48 hours.
Murbul is still with me because I`ve kept her continuously thralled. I like her despite her low level cap.
She`s a smart fighter for a magic user and uses Staffs well in adition to her own lightning.
Unlike some of my Mages she`s not reluctant to use her dagger in close.
Her outfit is the funniest mismatch I`ve seen on a Skyrim character with a bear`s head helmet(stormcloak officer) , forsworn gauntlets, fur halter top and skirt armor, and ragged boots !
The 8 available enchant slots help in buffing her up for fighting and she`s less squishy than most mages after you`ve improved her armor.
Too bad I will lose her after a while.
It looks as if permanent or stable Orc thralls are going to be a rarity for the conjurer.
Good news is that Dro`marash and Rigel are still hanging at the keep so my hopes are up for them at least.

Adam Warlock

A revisit to Falkreath to check on the 4 dead NPC revealed that Kust has vanished from the Hall of the Dead but the bodies of Caerellia , Mathies , and Narri still remain where I put them.

Golgo_SPB

The only Orc corpse that has stayed with me so far is Lurbuk, sadly he's not that useful.

Anyways onto my recent thrall endeavors and such.

Commander Maro - He's an imperial and wears penitus oculatus armor, which is light, and he doesn't have a helm. UESP says his primary skills is Heavy Armor and Two-handed, which is a shame since he wears light armor and without a shield his defenses aren't great with light armor, but he hits decently with my ebony battleaxe. Not sure how strong his archery is so I'll have to test that out more. He takes down giants and mammoths one by one easily if he keeps swinging.

Captain Avidius - A redguard wearing two pieces of clothing. The clothing doesn't help since he's a primarily a one-handed type warrior. He was fairly good at cutting down penitus oculatus guards, he was basically one shotting them to death with power attacks and he only had an elven sword. Give him a good weapon and maybe a shield and he might not do that bad at all.

Lieutenant Salvarus - A lieutenant in the penitus oculatus, an imperial of course and clad in a full set of penitus oculatus armor. He uses lightning bolt in one hand and a one-handed weapon in the other. His battle AI was acting funny when I took him and Commander Maro to fight some giants, took me a few reloads to make him fight. First I tried to make him fight without a sword, but he just stood there in a one-handed weapon block position with his spell at the ready but no weapon or attack with spell. Second time I made him fight with a one-handed sword in his inventory and he did the same thing but with his sword out. Third time I put a sword and a shield in his inventory and he finally began to fight, he would switch his spell to the shield once the enemy got really close. He's fairly decent I guess.
UPDATE: Salvarus also has a ward spell and a healing spell, it would be great if he had a flesh spell on top of his armor but he doesn't. We were fighting against a Mage type Briarheart and thats when he started busting out these spells I didn't know he had. Sadly Maro and Salvarus couldn't stand the onslaught of ice storms so I had to finish the job myself. Salvarus' one-handed ain't that strong, probably because he's at like level 20 or something, but with the right enchants and such I bet he can be a very versatile thrall.

Then I just thralled the characters that were named and apart of the quest. Amaund Motierre, Rexus, and "you know who" if you played through the DB questline. Some other notes Amaund Motierre is silent and will say a line from his dialogue when you bump into him then when he dies he says "but... I thought we had a deal!"
Bodies that have stayed so far -
Lurbuk, Alain Dufont, Ulfr the Blind, Anise, and Ma'randru-jo. - Worker House
Hajvaar, Telrav, Ardwen, Sild the Warlock, and of course Orchendor. - Abandoned House
Fultheim the Fearless, Alea Quintus, Vasha, Helvard, and Wyndelius Gatharian. -Abandoned Shack
I added more bodies to the usual places but I've yet to check if they disappeared yet.

perkecet

just recently got the spell on my current character. first thrall is paratus decimius, the imperial conjurer who represents the synod in the winterhold quest line. looks like his max level is 30 but since i wasn't much higher than that when getting him he is doing quite well. hasn't died yet, in fact. he summons a flame atronach which is nice, though i plan to give him the staff of storm atronach that j'zargo refuses to use. i plan to thrall ancano once he's dead also. hopefully i won't have a repeat of last time i finished the college quests. right before i killed him he used the eye to make a magical anomaly. after he died arniel gane raised him while fighting the anomaly before i had the chance to thrall.

Adam Warlock

Had a puke fest with a couple of Afflicted Remnants I thralled after a random encounter in the Reach!
One was a mage and the other a 1h warrior who respawned elven armor and boots with leather bracers and helmet.
They worked well together against a Giant , spewing that poisonous green slime as part of their attacks.
Both have already disappeared as is the general custom with such characters.
48 hours and leave their cell , poof they`re gone.
Or they vanish during travel even if they are still tralled.

I`ve taken over the exterior of the empty Dushnikh Yal in the same manner as Cracked Tusk.
It has the same facilities but also a smelter and orichalum mine. Only lacks an Arcane Enchanter.
There is an end table next to the Chief`s old chair outside where I can safely store thrall gear.
Eight bodies now in the stronghold with similar numbers in Proudspire Manor , the Abandoned House in Markarth, and Cracked Tusk Keep courtyard. Four others inside CTK and two in Drela`s Cottage.
I`m going to sort out the best and most permanent of them and probably will take all the rest to permanent storage in a dead dungeon somewhere.

perkecet

am i correct in thinking i heard you can kill and then thrall the summoned dremora at the atronach forge? i assume it levels but i'm at a suitable level to get one thrallable. if so, can i go and kill the one still hanging out on top of the college that gave me my sigil stone?

Adam Warlock

All but the Valkynaz may be thralled , but be aware that once you get to higher levels (somewhere in the 40`s) that becomes the only kind the Atronach Forge will create.
The Markynaz is the best thrallable Dremora while you can find them in your game

Golgo_SPB

the one that was used in the master conjuration ritual is invincible anyways. attacks don't even hit him.

Golgo_SPB

My most recent thrall is Hamelyn, I'm fairly impressed by him... this so called king of skeevers. His lightning bolt or maybe it's chain lightning, not sure which one he has, hits pretty hard... took me a few tries to beat him, then again my health is kinda low. His other spells that I noticed was firebolt and a flesh spell, he seems to have the destruction dual cast perk which is nice when he decides to use it. When he fought me he preferred his lightning bolt spell but when I took him to fight some bandits and giants he likes using his firebolt spell most of the time, he'll occasionally pull out his lightning bolt. UPDATE: so it seems that Hamelyn has the Ice Spike spell too. I wanted to see if I can kill talsgar the wanderer in this grey quarter inn without consequence (I made sure to save before) and I tried it but I got a bounty, as soon as talsgar got hostile and the windhelm guards started rolling in hamelyn started pelting them with ice spikes and dual cast ice spikes. He took care of them fairly quick despite the guards resistance to frost because I'm sure they're all nords.

Another good thing about him is that he wears 3 pieces of light armor; fur bracers, fur armor, and imperial light boots. Not the best armor but I guess they would be decent when smithed, enchanted and topped with his flesh spell.

Some other notes it seems the named NPCs tied with the Hail Sithis! quest seem to vanish when the quest is completed. I didn't test it while I had two of em thralled, but they're not their anymore. So Commander Maro, Salvarus, Captain Avidius, Amaund Motierre, Rexus, and of course the NPC that the whole quest is about are gone. Not too sad that Commander Maro is gone, although he is the strongest of the group, but Salvarus seemed like a versatile thrall despite his level and Avidius had some decent one-handed for his level.

Trying to get to a certain point in the Thieves Guild questline before I start my personal thralling quest, of course I will thrall characters that the questline provides like Hamelyn.

perkecet

^perhaps due to the most recent patch? i thralled the emperor and brought him back to meet the man who asked me to kill him once. i think he's one of those with like 1 HP so that he dies in one hit no matter what, so it was nothing more than a trophy.

Golgo_SPB

^perhaps due to the most recent patch? i thralled the emperor and brought him back to meet the man who asked me to kill him once. i think he's one of those with like 1 HP so that he dies in one hit no matter what, so it was nothing more than a trophy.
Yeah Titus is a 1 HP'er same with BBQ Astrid and the three in the abandoned shack. I believe Amaund Motierre has at least like 80 or somthing when he was alive, one good thing is Amaund isn't a moaner lol.

Golgo_SPB

So just some more updates. Asta seems to still pop up randomly when I fast travel. luckily it's always at places I can store her, I'm usually checking if my corpses disappear. Also one of my fast travels a forsworn pillager appeared right next to me and started attacking even though I was just outside riften, I believe she was the one a thralled many moons ago... Hamelyn basically destroyed her with no effort.

Speaking of Hamelyn he used some other spells Fireball and a ward. Like how much spells does this guy know? and he rarely uses em too... he prefers his firebolts and lightning bolts alot. He possibly might have a healing spell then, I haven't seen him use it since he rarely dies on me. Also when he was cornered by a bandit he put his lightning bolt away and started using his fists, how manly, but that's because I didn't give him a weapon. So to test it out I gave him a dagger, sometimes he'll have it out and a spell in his other hand. Anyways his spells I saw him use so far are firebolt, lightning bolt, ice spike, fireball, a flesh spell, and a ward. Mr. Skeever King is starting to become a personal fave of mine.

UPDATE: went for a solo mission cause I wanted to sneak, got it done and found that Hamelyn's corpse is gone from the abandoned house. RIP Skeever King you will be missed.

Some other news I went to do the Pale Lady quest, the tomb is filled with the typical bandit types. I remember reading about a glitch that can make your follower dual wield if they have a one-handed weapon and a pickaxe in their inventory, so I tested it on a bandit thrall and it worked. My bandit was an Orc Bandit Marauder and he dual wielded the pickaxe and ebony war axe I gave him, the other bandits stood no chance especially with Hamelyn backing him. Other than that the named NPCs in this quest were Kyr and Ra'jrr, one a nord and one a khajiit, both 1 HP'r despite me finding them alive... it's probably a fail safe for their scripted deaths. After completing the quest I went to see if Eisa Blackthorns' body vanished since she gave me the quest, and it did... her corpse has stayed where I left her for days on end until I completed the quest. So you can either choose her some named bandit chief or two weak thralls and a semi-unique sword and a word wall. Also UESP lists Frostmere Crypt as a safe storage area since it supposedly doesn't respawn.

Adam Warlock

So just some more updates. Asta seems to still pop up randomly when I fast travel. luckily it's always at places I can store her, I'm usually checking if my corpses disappear. Also one of my fast travels a forsworn pillager appeared right next to me and started attacking even though I was just outside riften, I believe she was the one a thralled many moons ago... Hamelyn basically destroyed her with no effort.

Speaking of Hamelyn he used some other spells Fireball and a ward. Like how much spells does this guy know? and he rarely uses em too... he prefers his firebolts and lightning bolts alot. He possibly might have a healing spell then, I haven't seen him use it since he rarely dies on me. Also when he was cornered by a bandit he put his lightning bolt away and started using his fists, how manly, but that's because I didn't give him a weapon. So to test it out I gave him a dagger, sometimes he'll have it out and a spell in his other hand. Anyways his spells I saw him use so far are firebolt, lightning bolt, ice spike, fireball, a flesh spell, and a ward. Mr. Skeever King is starting to become a personal fave of mine.

UPDATE: went for a solo mission cause I wanted to sneak, got it done and found that Hamelyn's corpse is gone from the abandoned house. RIP Skeever King you will be missed.

Some other news I went to do the Pale Lady quest, the tomb is filled with the typical bandit types. I remember reading about a glitch that can make your follower dual wield if they have a one-handed weapon and a pickaxe in their inventory, so I tested it on a bandit thrall and it worked. My bandit was an Orc Bandit Marauder and he dual wielded the pickaxe and ebony war axe I gave him, the other bandits stood no chance especially with Hamelyn backing him. Other than that the named NPCs in this quest were Kyr and Ra'jrr, one a nord and one a khajiit, both 1 HP'r despite me finding them alive... it's probably a fail safe for their scripted deaths. After completing the quest I went to see if Eisa Blackthorns' body vanished since she gave me the quest, and it did... her corpse has stayed where I left her for days on end until I completed the quest. So you can either choose her some named bandit chief or two weak thralls and a semi-unique sword and a word wall. Also UESP lists Frostmere Crypt as a safe storage area since it supposedly doesn't respawn.
Yes , you can force dual-wielding with a pickaxe if you don`t provide a shield or other off-hand equipment for the Thrall to use.
Although you can enchant them , unfortunately the only Pickaxe in the game that can be improved with Smithing is the Notched Pickaxe found at the very top of The Throat of the World.
Follower Darkeethus of Dark Water Crossing carries my version.
But your tale leads into mine.
I was taking a break from followers and thralls and wandering solo near Markarth when I ran into a dude who told me about a mine owner and his Orc buddy who had been run out of their own gold mine by Forsworn.
I took this minor quest and continued solo since it sounded like an easy task.
There were only 7 forsworn to kill including one Briarheart and one Ravager.
The mine was loaded with gold veins and I produced 24 ingots at the smelter there.
Just as I finished smelting my loot , a dragon attacked.
I didn`t want to fight it alone so I ducked back in the mine , waited an hour before exiting and quickly FT`d back to the quest giver for my reward of 1500 gold.
This owner , Pavo Attius , and his friend Gat gro-Shargakh were so excited they said they`d go right to work.
I could still see that dragon flying around where the gold mine was about 2 clics down the river valley but they headed in that direction anyway.
No time to go get help so I followed them until the dragon finally attacked us.
I got the dragon`s health bar down by half before he finally toasted the 2 miners in their shoes.
Both are typical level 6 but as miners I wanted to test the pickaxe trick.
I gave one a steel war axe and pickaxe and I gave the other a pair of Forsworn swords.
Both of them dual-wielded without problems !
A Forsworn weapon is a much better choice for dual wielding since it can be improved with a steel ingot and no special perks are required.
Forsworn Bows will also fix the follower/thrall bug where they use their default hunting bow rather than your donated one.
I would note that certain NPC such as these two miners don`t have default bows and therefore no bug.
Likewise they can be forced into fighting only in melee if you don`t give them a bow or staff.
Equipped with just hand weapons they charge into battle like a Dremora !
Now I`m waiting to see how quickly these guys disappear if at all

Golgo_SPB

interesting so does that mean forsworn melee weapons scripted to be dual wielded with no matter the user?
I know forsworn can dual wield when they have forsworn weapons.

another important note. I was doing some more thieves guild quests and in one quest you go to snow veil sanctum with mercer and the draugr tomb doesn't allow thralls from the outside. just a heads up for those sneaky necromancers out there!

Oh yeah I failed to mention I thralled a East Empire Warden, basically a heavy armor wearing imperial warrior type. Although they will always have light armor bracers.

perkecet

i've gotten my dremora! markynaz of course, carries a steel warhammer of the blaze, but i'll get him something better eventually. after that success i had an idea! get a spellcaster dremora, the one in robes inside the dagon shrine. hopefully things will go well since i haven't yet done the quest. i'd leveled from 42 to 43 between thralling this dremora and getting the idea to thrall a second. i hope i didn't cross the threshold into unthrallable ones. wish me luck.

Adam Warlock

interesting so does that mean forsworn melee weapons scripted to be dual wielded with no matter the user?
I know forsworn can dual wield when they have forsworn weapons.

another important note. I was doing some more thieves guild quests and in one quest you go to snow veil sanctum with mercer and the draugr tomb doesn't allow thralls from the outside. just a heads up for those sneaky necromancers out there!

Oh yeah I failed to mention I thralled a East Empire Warden, basically a heavy armor wearing imperial warrior type. Although they will always have light armor bracers.
I can`t get mages to dual-wield but most 1h warriors will do so and not just the Ranger class like Aela.
Just today I tried 2 forsworn swords(no shield) with follower Uthgerd the Unbroken and she used them without hestitation as did Borgakh the Steel Heart. Annekke Crag-Jumper and Derkeethus also.
i think if they won`t dual wield with forsworn then they won`t dual wield at all.
Also from my observation you can use any primary weapon as long as a forsworn one is available for the off hand

Golgo_SPB

thanks mr. warlock, it's always fun to learn new thrall tech! maybe I shall try the dual wield idea with Hajvaar Iron-Hand, his corpse is still in the abandoned house for some reason.

So I did the Azura daedric quest, I was able to thrall Malyn Varen but his body doesn't want to leave the Azura Star dimension sadly. UESP lists that he has some perks so I thought he'd be a handy mage to have around and he kinda looks like Emperor Palpatine aka Darth Sidious, badass. I did it for the Black Star version maybe doing the quest in favor of Azura and getting the white star may yield different results? I'm so absent minded that I forgot to try it out in Azura's favor... maybe it would've made a difference. Well since I couldn't have my thrall and getting the black star results in Aranea Ienith not being a follower I went to the shrine and murdered her then ate her corpse! Then I thralled her! The UESP lists her spell list as a follower and she has quite the amount of perks, but so far the spells she used are Lightning Bolt, Summon Flame Atronach, Ice Spike, Ice Storm, a ward, and a flesh spell.

Also Asta is so stalkerish, she never seems to want to leave me and she's a masochist too coming back for more death!

UPDATE: Just some random info. I was killing a dragon with Aranea at a giant camp and once I killed him I didn't absorb his soul and the dragon flesh didn't burn away... I tried to dread zombie the dragon just because it was fleshed and I thought it would be funny if it worked. But yeah of course it didn't work, just a silly idea I wanted to try out.

I also thralled Arondil a high elf necromancer/philliac, he really loves chucking ice storms and will refuse to use the staff he came with. He can also use ice spikes, a ward, and a flesh spell. He also dual-cast ice storms. Anyways I took both Aranea and Arondil giant hunting and it's just a messy shoot out, fun to watch. The in one battle I guess Aranea got hit too much by Arondil's Ice Storms that they had a battle with each other... that's not the unusual part when Aranea got killed by Arondil the Whispering Lady spoke to me and I didn't even kill Aranea with my ebony blade! My necromancer is also a Ebony Blademan warrior. man this game is goofy sometimes lol.

Arondil UPDATE: Just a small quick update, Arondil also has the turn undead spell. I thought it was kinda an unusual spell to have. I was doing the white phial quest and it's full of draugr and the only time he used it was against Draugr Wights so I'm guessing the level strength is around what the wights are at.

Adam Warlock

I went rollimg with an all Orc squad today .
Follower Borgakh the Steel Heart was in Ebony armor with Ebony Mace and Forsworn Sword for dual-wielding.
Dead Thralls were a Mistwatch Bandit and one of the Bandits from Nilheim.
These orcs are 2h with fur armor , bracers, and boots all tooled to Legendary.
Enchants added health(armor) , stamina(armor/boots), fortify 2h (bracers/boots) , fortify archery(bracers).
No default bows problem so each has Ebony bow with absorb health/fire damage.
Mistwatch Bandit carries Daedric Greatsword of the Vampire which absorbs health.
Nilheim Bandit carries Ebony Battleaxe with absorb stamina/fire damage.
With these 3 , I was touring the southern area of the Reach when we encountered a couple of Forsworn one of which was mining an iron ore vein next to the path.
There was a little stand-off there but then 4 more Forsworn ran up and the fight started.
I stepped to the side to see what my crew could do with 2 to 1 odds against and they were devastating !
The Mistwatch bandit decapitated a Pillager and a Forager !
That`s the 1st decaps from the help I`ve witnessed other than from a Dremora.
How the Mistwatch Orc got the perk for this idk but I`m elated.
Best part is these 2 tough guys appear to have permanent corpses or at the least stable ones because I`ve had them quite a while now without a respawn incident.
After I had played with the heads a little , we left there but encountered a non-hostile Forsworn standing over the bodies of 3 Orc Hunters a little further down the path. All 3 were wearing a full set of Iron Armor including helmets which is uncommon for Orcs.
I thralled them and took them to my base but expect they will soon vanish like most all the other random encounter types.

Golgo_SPB

So I went on the quest Hard Answers for the Thieves Guild and I won't really spoil anything. I just got some thralls that came with the quest; they were Wizards' Guard, Captain Aquillius, and Aicantar. The Wizards' Guard is basically like bandits but with all heavy armor, steel specifically. They were ok, didn't test them out extensively. Captain Aquillius is supposedly a redguard and he seems like the bandit chief type, clad in full steel plate at the highest levels I guess. I didn't get to test him out at all since when you finish the Hard Answer quest he just straight up vanished before my eyes. So my thoughts were, without actually testing it, he can stay with you indefinitely till you actually end that quest.

As for Aicantar I really didn't want to kill him, but Captain Aquillius wouldn't leave the cell that they were both in until he killed Aicantar. Sorry uncle Calcelmo I had to kill your nephew and eat part of him. He's fairly decent mage; he's used firebolt, fireball, lightning bolt, and a flesh spell so far so he's versatile in that he doesn't specialize in one element. He also has some perks according to the UESP; Augmented Frost (rank 1), Augmented Shock (rank 1), Mage Armor (rank 1), Magic Resistance (rank 1), Recovery (rank 1), and Regeneration.

Just another minor note my Aranea disappeared after I left her corpse in the abandoned shack but Arondil is still there so everything is looking up for Arondil if he's a perma. Some rant I have as well, I can't believe they haven't fixed the nightingale blade... at it's highest level (it's a leveled weapon) you can't smith it but all the other versions you can, so ridiculous. It's got absorb health and stamina too, perfect for a thrall. So if you want to smith it get it at levels 36-45, you'll lose out on 5 more points of stamina and health absorb though.

I can't stand Dead Thralls. Their constant moaning is so unnerving, and they're worse than living followers for getting stuck. Ugh.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts