Thrall Thread : Living with the dead

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

HouseHosted

Mundus 9-5, Oblivion weekends
EDIT: An update on Weylin progress below.

Hello, everyone! I don't know why this thread has to keep being resurrected, but well... I guess that's just the way it is.

So, I went and made a very educational guide on how to GR Ancano on yt. You can check it out here. It'll explain to the best of my abilities how to keep him as a permanent thrall.

I've been currently running around with Weylin for about 30+ days now. I've tried to intentionally GR him roughly the same amount. I don't know if it's possible on PC, honestly. I've tried every trick I can think of. This includes:

1. You standard GR method
2. GR method for Tullius and Rikke
3. GR method for Ancano
4. Mixing in some GR steps with how you fix Sarthis' spawn behavior
5. Mixing in some of the theoretically relevant steps I used to get Captain Hargar and Jaree-Ra out of Broken Oar
6. Various other things that I thought might work to, at least, get him to stay behind after leaving his cell momentarily

I'm about at my wit's end with him. Since traveling with him, I have noticed a few neat things: There was a point there where he turned around and then came back through the door of Old Hroldan after 10ish days; I happened to leave him behind in Shatter-Shield's place there afterwards (because that's where Harik lives (because I'd given up on him), and he magically stayed put until I returned; and after the 30ish day mark, he just up and killed himself out of nowhere while cleaning up during a trek through Hag Rock. I suspect these are all clues to this puzzle. I'll note, it was probably that I interacted with his person when I'd left him alone that he actually "reset" his behavior. I'm guessing it'll be a matter of doing something and then something else so that that can happen again. Beats me.

If anyone wants to throw some ideas at me, that would be excellent. It's absolutely possible that you have to reanimate him at a certain point during the initial event to get him to be free for GR'ing, similar to Ancano. I don't know. I haven't got that far yet...

Happy body snatching, necromancers! And happy April Fool's!

EDIT AREA: As I figured, Weylin is fairly easy to keep. You just have to progress to the point where you speak to Eltrys in the Shrine of Talos. Unfortunately, I don't have a save handy because I accidentally deleted it, so I won't be able to answer whether he has to be kept around for 10 days or two days. That kind of thing... He's not permanent, of course. You'll need to give him an anchor.

I'll admit I'm a little frustrated that the save is gone because I don't know if he actually needs special treatment to ensure he isn't deleted. There's the jist of it though. And here's the clincher (though most everyone, I'm sure, already knew this): Weylin doesn't keep his voice clips! Ahhh!

Last edited:
Wow it’s crazy how old this thread is and how useful it is... I haven’t posted in here for like 5 years maybe longer lol. But I’ve started playing Skyrim again. Just wondering if Vampire Lord transformations have a mod\patch that prevents them from killing thralls on Xbox or if there ever was fix for that vampiric drain spell bug with having Serana as a follower. I don’t expect a reply but worth a try I guess

HouseHosted

This will most likely be the last time I revive this thread, but i just couldn't help but add a definitive conclusion to progress made on the phenomenon at Broken Oar Grotto. Now, it was like four years ago or something that I had posted about retrieving Captain Hargar and Jaree-Ra out of that place. Well, guess what! I managed to pull it off again (with Captain Hargar alone) on my level 1 Orc, Gurzgo gro-Rushub! I used the same formula:

1. Kite Captain Hargar over to the entrance (still alive)
2. Use Fear or, depending on the level, a higher tiered spell may be needed to have him run towards the entrance. Keeping in mind that there are two locations he'll hide in. It's the one on the right you want him to because you'll have to...
3. Use Unrelenting Force to launch him up the slope as far as you can manage so that he doesn't slide down. Also, remember how I wasn't sure if the guy had to be head first towards the entrance? Well, I still throw my hands up in the air on that. Captain Hargar was head first when I proceeded on to step 4.
4. Make sure he dies up there without sliding down. (I used a combination of Weakness to Poison, Lingering Damage Health, and Paralysis poisons to get the job done.)
5. Cast Dead Thrall on him and leave at once.
5. Travel some two regions away. (I traveled to the Riften Stables on this particular mission.)

I'll admit there are still a couple unknowns. I don't know if persons have to be paralyzed when they die. Maybe they do, maybe they don't. And as I mentioned ealier, I don't know if the characters have to be head first towards the exit. It just seems it always works when they are. Who knows? But anyway, that's that. It IS possible to get these guys out of Broken Oar Grotto with a little bit of luck. So, yea! Good luck out there, budding necromancers!

I suppose I should mention this was on PC without any unofficial patches and with very few mods -- like 6 or 8 or something. It might be superfluous to mention that seeing as how I did the same thing on 360 four years ago... but, you know, it's good to have a bit of transparency with these things.

Last edited:

TheSkalmo

ATTENTION

I have just discovered a GUARANTEED FIX for console players, NO MODS NEEDED, that will allow you to retrieve your Dead Thralls from the black hole that is Broken Oar Grotto!!!!!!

So when you first enter, your Thralls will all be right near the entrance. They cannot go through it like you can even if you push them or Shout them into the entrance. Not even Fear Spells will make them run out.

To get them out, you need to be right near the entrance, all up in your Thralls personal space, and get them to start turning to move out of the way. AS SOON AS THEY START MOVING, BOOK IT OUT OF THERE, and then fast travel to Septimus Signus Outpost. I tried this multiple times and it worked this way every single time. The first times I did it, I got one Thrall saved. The last time I did it, I actually got 2 saved, because both of them ended up moving out of my way that time. Afterwards I traveled to Whiterun Stables instead of Whiterun on accident and I discovered the rest of my Thralls had spawned in with me (I have mod to have up to 7 and currently have 4).

So that's that! I beat the system and retrieved my Thralls and it only took 4 hours of troubleshooting.. but I got em.

What did we learn? Leave your Thralls outside before going INSIDE Broken Oar Grotto or you will be in a world of pain.

HouseHosted

What did we learn? Leave your Thralls outside before going INSIDE Broken Oar Grotto or you will be in a world of pain.

This is what I always did after learning about Broken Oar.

So, I went back on my word. Sorry! I made an updated tutorial for how to GR Ancano. The previous video I made was just lacking in various ways. Hope this helps someone out there that gave up after watching my earlier video on it. There's a verbal explanation at 15:06.

HouseHosted

So, it's been a few years, but I've finally put together a video showing a successful attempt getting Captain Hargar out of Broken Oar Grotto. I thought it was finally time.

Check video description for all that stuff you need to know! Skip to 9:34 to get straight to the successful attempt.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts