• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Tusck

So here is a quote from Bethesda about how they are handling armor pieces:

3) Is armor handled like in Oblivion (with each body part being welded together) or in Morrowind (with each body part separate)? Will you be able to wear both clothes and armor at the same time?
Matt: The armor system is very similar to Oblivion’s. The main difference is that the upper and lower body armors, the cuirass and greaves, have been combined into one piece. This helps create armor styles that have the look we needed for Skyrim. In most of the Nordic designs we created, the upper armor would completely cover the lower armor, making it unnecessary. We get much better visual results combining those pieces, and it renders a lot faster too, so we can put more people on screen, so that was an easy tradeoff for us. We can also make a lot more armors now, so the number and variation types are more than we’ve ever had.

Now for those of you that never played Morrowind, every piece of armor was seperate, for example instead of having greaves, you have a shin guard and a thigh guard. Instead of having a chest piece, you have forarm, bicep, and chest. It's was a great system, especially in the beginning because you really felt like you were scrapping together a set of armor.

So I'll put this out there to the community. Would you rather go back to the separate pieces, or do you like the more consolidated type of armor as described for Skyrim?

Personally I would rather go back to the older way, although it is enticing to have matching armor all the time.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
It doesn't really bother me. I don't really mind but if one-piece armor looks better visually, compared to wearing mismatching greaves and cuirass, I think I'll go with one-piece. I mean, when you get armors, you get them in one set anyway. You wouldn't just loot a 'LEGENDARY PANTS'. I'd wear it just because it has better equipment bonus but it would look pretty weird, just wearing a glowing pants while all your other gear doesn't really go with it.

Tusck

I would definitely wear glowing pants, I'm just saying.

You could fix the problem by simply giving an option to match all armor to the chest piece. So your armor would still technically match, but you would still have to find each different piece.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
egh. I hate it when they force you to find each different piece. It's not an MMO so I don't find equipment all that important in Skyrim. Maybe I just got too used to leveled loot from Oblivion. oh well. As long as they implement equipment alright, I don't mind. I don't think it'll be a big issue though I know some people would look at one-piece armor and shout 'CASUAL!!!!!'

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
I am okay with it (given the explanation by Howard). Considering that each one has its pros and cons I think that they have the right to test something new. Maybe, that is if Unlimited Detail becomes reality, we can go back one day to the way it worked in Morrowind.

Cole

Mythik
I like what they decided to do as well. Maybe it's my OCD a bit, but i loved that i could match my armor and look like a total Bad*ss. Will weapons and armor scale up as you level as well too? Or is that just something you find as you go along?

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
I highly doubt that your equipments levels up. It doesn’t make sense, logically and mechanic-wise. Why would your armor suddenly provide more protection? Why would you pick up new stuff if your current one is constantly improving?

The only similar thing that I could imagine is that certain perks allow you to use your armor/weapon more effectively (e.g. “Claymores now have +20% damage”). But items that level with you? Weird idea.

Cole

Mythik
No, I mean like in Oblivion, as your character leveled, you found new gear types, like dwarven or glass. Will that be the same here?

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
No, I mean like in Oblivion, as your character leveled, you found new gear types, like dwarven or glass. Will that be the same here?
Alright, my bad. Yes, your loot will get better the higher your level is.

Cole

Mythik
That's good, I enjoyed that. Have they added any new armor types to anyone's knowledge?

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
well, they have faction armors. you can see some concept arts on my albums.

I think it would be cool if you kill one of the faction member and wear their faction armor to disguise yourself as one of them... then you just walk into their main holdout and take everything like they are yours XD

Cole

Mythik
That would be cool! I would hope Bethesda thought of that and implemented a quest like that for the Thieves guild or Dark Brotherhood. That would be awesome ;D

Tusck

well, they have faction armors. you can see some concept arts on my albums.

I think it would be cool if you kill one of the faction member and wear their faction armor to disguise yourself as one of them... then you just walk into their main holdout and take everything like they are yours XD

I'm wondering is I could steal faction armor while the person is wearing it which the lvl 100 pickpocket skill.

Flamingtaco

In oblivion there was a mod which gave you a separate identity while wearing dark brotherhood armor. It was actually really fun because you could commit crimes with it and have a separate bounty as long as you weren't seen putting it on or taking it off. Also, people would be scared of you and refused to talk. Even bandits who would normally stop you on the road were terrified. If that is in skyrim it would be amazing.

As for the armor slots I would prefer to have separate pieces but I like that armor will be mch more unique and interesting now.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
In oblivion there was a mod which gave you a separate identity while wearing dark brotherhood armor. It was actually really fun because you could commit crimes with it and have a separate bounty as long as you weren't seen putting it on or taking it off. Also, people would be scared of you and refused to talk. Even bandits who would normally stop you on the road were terrified. If that is in skyrim it would be amazing.

As for the armor slots I would prefer to have separate pieces but I like that armor will be mch more unique and interesting now.
wow! that sounds like an amazing mod. do you mind telling me what's the mod called? I think I might just add that to my long list of mods

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts