Spoiler Things I have observed in Dragonborn.

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Pharaun159

This is all in regards to game mechanics. There will be minor quest spoilers. If you notice things I have not, by all means let me know. These are more or less my mental notes. If your want to use this info for another site, be my guest. Might want to edit it first. My language skills leave something to be desired.

First off... the new spells.

Ash rune: Acts much like paralyze except that it seems to be more effective (as in more likely to affect the target.) With a notable difference... Creatures struck my this spell are also unable to be harmed. Tactically this is quite useful if a little annoying since it lasts for 45 sec.

Whirlwind cloak: all i have to say is.... THANK YOU BETHESDA! Finally makes a pure mage on higher diff more viable and less frustrating. In essence the spell has a pretty good chance of knocking opponents in melee range back. Its basiclly a continuous 'fus ro dah'. I find it far more useful then the flesh spells.

Frenzy rune: Nice aoe frenzy spell. downside... doesnt seem to be effected by the vampire's 'Champion of the Night' ability. so duelcast should cap it at a 44lvl effect.

Poison rune: worthless at high levels. nuff said. 300 dam across a 30 sec period. Maybe useful for a drawn out boss fight, but easier to just smash with incinerate.

Ash Guardian: seems pretty powerful. Thankfully isnt prevented by spell absorbtion. downside. requires a heartstone in your inventory, and will stay were you summon it. has no follow script.

there are other new spells, but non really proved exciteing or more are less usefull then spells we already had.

In regards to the black book abilities....

Episolary Acumen: Modifies your dragon shouts depending on which of the three you pick. I personally dont use any of the 3 shouts so didnt impress me. In a nut shell, if firebreath kills- summons a fire wraith. Frostbreath freezes instead of slows. Unrelenting force does more damage and can disintigrate foes.

Filament and Filigree: greater power that decreases dam (by half)/spell cost(100%) / stamina cost (100%) for 30 sec

The Hidden Twilight: either heals all/ locks an opponant in an ethereal state for 30 sec/ or summons a field of poisonous tentacles. all situational use.

The Sallow Regent: A must have. Makes all mage/ thief/ warrior skills 10% more effective. In the case of mage, reduces spell costs. so combined with archmage robes and crown of savant could potentially reduce cost of all spells by 30%. Also increase enchant by 10%

Untold Legends: Summons a localized drum that buffs stamina regen. Doesnt follow you. or summons a butler to carry stuff. or a merchant with only 500 gold. Prefer the butler. the others are not much use. The abilites can be used an infinite number of times.

Wakeing Dreams: Allows you to reset perks for the cost of one dragonsoul for each skill reset.

The Winds of Change: Essentially lets you throw spells, shouts, and weapons at will without fear of hurting your companion. Does not work outside of combat. or lets you gain 2 points when you read a skill book. usefull if your not already capped out. i found about 20 skill books going through the dlc. an extra 40 skill points is always good. The last is 10% more dam and 10% better prices from opposite sex. If your asking around raven rock when you get to solstiem this is likely going to be your first book.

New items:

Telvanni robes: Look cool. Way better then anything else in the game. Enchanted already... face palm. Weak enchanment too no less. only 75% magicka regen. 93 if your a vamp.

Miraak's robes: Look cool. cant upgrade the gloves or boots with smithing. all combine to give you 25 spell absorb. Affected by necromage perk if your a vamp. Gives a non vamp a chance to have 100% spell absorb. Still that takes up alot of enchantment slots. The tentacle burst from the robes does stagger foes when you get hit. useful for a mage in melee. Combined with whirlwind cloak, gives you a much higher chance of pulling off master level spells.

ahzidals ring of necromancy: cool in theory, but useless in reality. Your reanimated corpse has to get targeted in melee and hit for the frost explosion effect to trigger. Unfortunatly, by the time your raiseing corpses you are the one being targeted, not your zombie. I've not seen it work once yet.

New masks: give a 50% elemental resist and a 25% elemental damage boost. Nice for an armored mage.

New enchantment: Chaos. MAGES A MUST HAVE! If you have to resort to melee for any reason, haveing this on a dagger is amazing. 50% chance to cause fire frost and shock damage. With max enchant and destruction perks, and vamirism the magnitude was 91 dam for each element! A tad overpowered lol but awesome non the less.

Thats all i can think of for right now let me know if i'm wrong on anything and ill edit.

Professor Skalvar

General of the Euphoric Gentleman's Club
As you have requested, a re-post from my Secret of Arcana Exploit thread:

So I just decided to do some experimenting with the Secret of Arcana power you can get from one of theBlack Books, which I believe was Filament and Filigree (anybody is welcome to correct me on that if it is wrong). When activating it, spells will not cost any magicka for 30 seconds. I realized that I had a Telekinesis Spell Tome in my inventory. Decided to read it and add it to my list of spells. Once I activated Secret of Arcana, I casted Telekinesis on a Bucket. My Alteration skill skyrocketed as fast as hell within what should have been 30 seconds. Based on the results of the experiments, I believe that the Secret of Arcana will never run out as long as you cast a spell with a duration cost. After 8-15 minutes (rough estimate) of holding the trigger down, I went from 20 to 100 in Alteration skill. So yeah, this is a cool way to level up Alteration should you ever need to for any reason.

Cherry

Farfetch'd is judging you!
I find the Dremora Merchant to very useful. Then again, my merchant has 2000 gold, while yours for some reason only has 500. I wonder why is that?

Pharaun159

I find the Dremora Merchant to very useful. Then again, my merchant has 2000 gold, while yours for some reason only has 500. I wonder why is that?
No idea. I even have master level perks in speech.

Pharaun159

Lot's of new alchemy ingredients! (...Does anyone else out there like alchemy too?)
Yes. I'm quite fond of using the alchemy/ enchant glitch to bring SOME elements into balance. I very much dislike the fact that you can make a suit that cuts spell cost to 0. they should cap that at 85 like most everyting else. I prefer to use the exploit and make 2 items with 100% magicka regen and 40% reduction. Much more balance. Drawn out fights still end in me running out of magicka without it being a death sentence. Makeing potions of destruction was the only way to buff up spell damage before DB. Noticed the new ravage health and enchant ingredients.

Pharaun159

Sarcron

Is it just me or do the new alchemy ingredients seem....useless? I haven't found a combination that makes "waterwalking" potions, but even if there is one, they introduced a LOT of new ingredients, all of which are harder to obtain vs just using the dozens of Skyrim ingredients to substitute for others on the list.

RespectTheNetch

definitely would like the recipes for Potions of Well-Being and/or Waterwalking
I agree a hundred times over. However, it'd make this game a lot easier than it already is. I have most of the new alchemy ingredients with the effects revealed, but none of them have "Well-Being" or "Waterwalking (Which I think is an enchantment anyways?). If I come across it though, I'll let you know.

Pffft, when I first walked on water, I was like, "Pffft. I'm Jesus-ing right now. Don't bother me."

RespectTheNetch

Is it just me or do the new alchemy ingredients seem....useless? I haven't found a combination that makes "waterwalking" potions, but even if there is one, they introduced a LOT of new ingredients, all of which are harder to obtain vs just using the dozens of Skyrim ingredients to substitute for others on the list.
No, you're right. I don't think I have ALL of the new ingredients yet, but I haven't seen any NEW effects. A little disappointing, but there's a lot of new stuff in the DLC as it is. And yeah, basically all of the new ingredients are just subs if I were to ever run out. I do enjoy having back up ingredients on hand though.

RespectTheNetch

Yes. I'm quite fond of using the alchemy/ enchant glitch to bring SOME elements into balance. I very much dislike the fact that you can make a suit that cuts spell cost to 0. they should cap that at 85 like most everyting else. I prefer to use the exploit and make 2 items with 100% magicka regen and 40% reduction. Much more balance. Drawn out fights still end in me running out of magicka without it being a death sentence. Makeing potions of destruction was the only way to buff up spell damage before DB. Noticed the new ravage health and enchant ingredients.
Exactly. I thought my game was just glitching super hard when I did the magicka regen glitch. However, I only used these types of items to power level magicka trees. There are a lot of overpowered things one can do with that restoration glitch. I try to keep my power-leveling separate from my quests.
I do respect you for balancing out your gameplay on your terms, though. Lots of my friends like having overpowered pl*ps from the get-go. It's great, but it takes away from the actual gameplay.

Adam Warlock

I agree a hundred times over. However, it'd make this game a lot easier than it already is. I have most of the new alchemy ingredients with the effects revealed, but none of them have "Well-Being" or "Waterwalking (Which I think is an enchantment anyways?). If I come across it though, I'll let you know.

Pffft, when I first walked on water, I was like, "Pffft. I'm Jesus-ing right now. Don't bother me."
found the waterwalking boots but they`re 9 lbs heavy and can`t disenchant them.

as for well-being(descriptive of restoring all 3 attributes health , stamina , and magicka)

charred skeever hide restores health and stamina
pearl restores magicka and stamina

so the missing ingredient has restore health and restore magicka as 2 properties.

found anything like that ?

RespectTheNetch

found the waterwalking boots but they`re 9 lbs heavy and can`t disenchant them.

as for well-being

charred skeever hide restores health and stamina
pearl restores magicka and stamina

so the missing ingredient has restore health and restore magicka as 2 properties.

found anything like that ?
Oh mah goodness. I didn't even think about that potion combination. OUTSTANDING! I've made ravage poisons like that, though. (God, I love alchemy.) As for finding ingredients with restore (insert two properties) with a matching restore (insert the other property and one matching property), I have not. I'll get back to you if I come across something though.

Pharaun159

Exactly. I thought my game was just glitching super hard when I did the magicka regen glitch. However, I only used these types of items to power level magicka trees. There are a lot of overpowered things one can do with that restoration glitch. I try to keep my power-leveling separate from my quests.
I do respect you for balancing out your gameplay on your terms, though. Lots of my friends like having overpowered pl*ps from the get-go. It's great, but it takes away from the actual gameplay.

Agreed there are ways to balance the game. In a post in another thread, ( i think the "what skyrim lacks" thread) i mentioned some of the balanceing issues and ways around them. I was quite pleased that betheseda addressed these issues in more creative ways then i thought up. for example i addressed the master level spell issues. that casting time made them almost useless. with the new whirlwind cloak spell, the odds of you pulling off a master spell are much improved. was a little disapointed with the new robes though. Telvanni robes, being just a hair better then the robes you find in the opening dungeon? Really!!?

Pharaun159

Found another interesting thing. I have 100% spell absorb. But i noticed that the fire attacks from the ashspawn immolators still did small amounts of damage to me. as in very small. it took about 15 to 20 attacks for it to be noticable. There may be a physical componant to their version of the spell, or the afterburn effect bybasses the spell absorb.

Saozig

Hippy
Lot's of new alchemy ingredients! (...Does anyone else out there like alchemy too?)

Yeah I'm enjoying that. My Dragonborn character's backstory is that she studied alchemy for much or her younger life so she practices it often.

I haven't figured out all the new ingredients properties but it was hilarious when my Dark Elf ate some netch jelly for the first time. I was like OMG I'S GONE ANDS KILLZ MAI ELF!!!

They have some of the ingredients' properties up now on the wikia but I'm resisting looking them up and making myself learn them the hard way.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Dwemer ruins seem more interesting, more deadly aswell. That walking thing that shoots like 5ft long spears that always seem to bypass armour. First time I fought one nearly died, clicked on 3rd person and I notice a giant spear through me, that would hurt.

Pharaun159

Dwemer ruins seem more interesting, more deadly aswell. That walking thing that shoots like 5ft long spears that always seem to bypass armour. First time I fought one nearly died, clicked on 3rd person and I notice a giant spear through me, that would hurt.
Yes also the kargrez(spelling?) ruin. the final battle. the tempered centurians seemed to resist all my elemental spells. i almost died at lvl 81 lol. i finally cast a frenzy spell on them and let the ballistas kill them for me lol

RespectTheNetch

Yeah I'm enjoying that. My Dragonborn character's backstory is that she studied alchemy for much or her younger life so she practices it often.

I haven't figured out all the new ingredients properties but it was hilarious when my Dark Elf ate some netch jelly for the first time. I was like OMG I'S GONE ANDS KILLZ MAI ELF!!!

They have some of the ingredients' properties up now on the wikia but I'm resisting looking them up and making myself learn them the hard way.
Well, I can message you them if you need the new ingredient effects. If you don't, more power to ya. It's hard to roleplay in Skyrim and keep in character. So many unspoken rules that needs to be followed.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts