Quest Thieves Guild Quest: Loud and Clear bug/glitch.

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
I need help! When I try to join the Thieves Guild I cannot get the "Loud and Clear" quest to start.
I completed "Taking Care of Business" with no problems whatsoever but when I talk to Brynjolf he doesn't not give me the quest. He says to follow him to the Cistern to talk to Mercer, and I follow. But the quest does not start... Brynjolf doesn't has the quest marker above his head and whenever I enter the Cistern with him he just stops and says "Hmm?". After a while, him and the other members become hostile to me because I'm trespassing (it says so when I try to wait).

I've loaded an older save, when I was on my way from Windhelm to Riften and started the quests from the beginning (meet Brynjolf at the market) but that didn't seem to have fixed it.

I'd like to know if there's a way around this, with or without console commands.

Btw, I'm playing on PC.

valdr_sleipnir

Same problem here. I'm playing this on Steam with some Steam Workshop mods. If it is a problem with mods maybe we should list which ones we are all using and try to find some possible issues?

I suppose I'll go first. These are the names and the load order from my Skyrim Data Files window:

HighResTexturePack01.esp
HighResTexturePack02.esp
Chopping block / Wood fires FIX
House Map Markers by Smakit
Sounds of Skyrim - The Dungeons
Sounds of Skyrim - Civilization
Sounds of Skyrim - The Wilds
Midas Magic - Spells for Skyrim
Realistic Ragdolls and Force
Dragon Bone Weapons Complete
Silencers Vestments
.:Craftable Clothes and Robes:.
Northwind Cottage - A Winterhold Home with a Secret
Dynamic Merchants
Auto Unequip Arrows
Lightweight Potions and Poisons
Whistle
Reduce NPC Greeting
More Dragon Loot
Followers Can Relax
Conjure Rideable Ethereal Horse Spell
Camping
Invulnerable Unique Horses
Unlimited Bookshelves
5kg Dragon Scales and Bones weight mod
Better Riften
Arrows Stick
Improve Container Names
Playable Flute, Lute and Drum - Play and Bash
Brand-Shei prison fix
Magic Arrows
Slightly Reduced Distance NPC Greetings
The 418th Step
Complete Skyforge
Dynamic Fires

Reading over this, I think I have too many mods lol. Anyway, a lot of these are unrelated to Riften but I've listed them anyways just in case there is some obscure issue. Someone reply so we can nail this!

Trodex

I have the same problem, the mods i have are:
Lighter Dragon Loot
Return Home - Teleport Spells
Dovahkiin's Basement
Unlimited Bookshelves
HighResTexturePack01.esp
HighResTexturePack02.esp
Isilmeriel's LOTR Weapons
lighterdragonloot.esp
Jon Snow's Longclaw

Only the first 4 are enabled right now. If it is the mods, by the looks of valdr_seipnir mods, the only ones we have in common are unlimited bookshelves and highrestexturepack01 and 02, so i would guess its one of those.

Adam Warlock

I don`t think it`s your mods because I have nearly the same problem with my Xbox.
Brynjolf only says "Hmm?" , won`t stop at the bar , and if I follow him into the Cistern I`m attacked as a trespasser.
I saw a small blurb somewhere that this may be caused by visiting the Ragged Flagon before you`ve finished The Chance Arrangement quest(which I`m guilty of)
a very stupid block for an entire quest line , especially after Dawnguard started having the innkeepers send you there for a face change

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
For PC users, reload your saved game from before Brynjolf enters the Ragged Flagon and try using the console command "clearquestaliases tg00sp"

Deadlyblight

Sadly, the only solution I was able to find was skipping over the quest via command console, but it does at least allow you to finish the thieve's guild questline. Solution I found (that worked for me, at least):

cherry.pakl said:
Alright well i had the same problem and it took about an hour of screwing around with console commands.
this should work
after completing the "Taking care of business quest", once brynjolf has told you to follow him:
1. open the command console.
2. type <setstage TG03 10>, this will skip the loud and clear quest and start the dampening spirits quest, but everyone in the guild will still attack you.
3. type <player.addfac 29da9 1> this will make you a member of the thieves guild.

so far this has worked.

Death's

So, seems there is no solution for 360 Skyrim players. That's unfortunate. :sadface: Means I can't get that awesome looking gear. :sadface: Or become a super mega master thief. -_-

Witjes

It's like the whole quest is gone.
I cant do anything with TG02

*Edit

and even if you skip it you can't become the guildmaster without the console.
Because Delvin and Vex will tell you to prove yourself to Brynjolf first

Deadlyblight

witcherlake,
Nope, sorry, this mod isn't the cause - in fact it can't be. I've never heard of this mod and don't have it installed, and this bug is affecting players on the 360 who can't even install a mod. More than likely, it's just a random bug, that may occur by doing things in a "wrong" order that sets some flag and happens to cause a glitch.

witcherlake

Deadlyblight,
Sorry, mate, obviously my post concerns those who are capable of installing mods (PC gamers). I just posted that one guy found out that "Castle Grey mod + 1.8patch = disaster", which in my case was true, and was thinking that maybe somebody else in this thread had it installed too. Just helping out spread the information, because I was searching for that answer since patch 1.8 was released. So, if you don't have access to mods or unable to apply console commands, consider my post irrelevant.

Brynjolf himself and a lot of quests related to him or the thieves guild (include Delvin's or Vex's dialogue) are bugged since the 1.7 patch update and knowingly whenever Bethesda updates their patch introduces more annoying bugs than fixing them. Discovering locations before accepting any quest related to that location are bugs themselves due to the radiant quests (conflicts with elseif conditions and set flag functions).

kaizersoze27

Hey I have the same exact issue and ar some frustrating hours, I decided to quite and install skyrim from scratch. I had many housing mods and I had removed all of them and many other mods that I though may be causing this issue, but the issue remained the same.

What I think as a possibility is, that if you kill a thief before starting thieves guild questline, then you probably will have this problem. I will install my mods and test this theory, but it will take a sometime.

In the meantime, did anyone do that? I mean, kill a thief before starting thieves guild quests?

Adam Warlock

I don`t think it`s your mods because I have nearly the same problem with my Xbox.
Brynjolf only says "Hmm?" , won`t stop at the bar , and if I follow him into the Cistern I`m attacked as a trespasser.
I saw a small blurb somewhere that this may be caused by visiting the Ragged Flagon before you`ve finished The Chance Arrangement quest(which I`m guilty of)
a very stupid block for an entire quest line , especially after Dawnguard started having the innkeepers send you there for a face change
Kept trying and finally busted the hmm bug to infiltrate the Thieves Guild.
This time instead of pickpocketing the ring , i went into a store instead , then talked to Brynjolf while he was away from his stall.
Failed that intro quest but Brynjolf did not glitch and met me as expected in the Ragged Flagon after I waited until after 8 pm.

btw I had privately killed Rune prior to this event(he was victim in a Companion`s Rescue quest)
no hostilities encountered due to this

kaizersoze27

Well, I managed to do 'Taking Care of Business' without any glitch, I got the message that it is done, but 'Loud and Clear' did not start...I think there is possibility of glitch in every Quest for Thieves Guild

Rawfodog

Hey I have the same exact issue and ar some frustrating hours, I decided to quite and install skyrim from scratch. I had many housing mods and I had removed all of them and many other mods that I though may be causing this issue, but the issue remained the same.

What I think as a possibility is, that if you kill a thief before starting thieves guild questline, then you probably will have this problem. I will install my mods and test this theory, but it will take a sometime.

In the meantime, did anyone do that? I mean, kill a thief before starting thieves guild quests?

I have two characters one of which has encountered this bug and killed a theif earlier in the game, but I also have the castle grey mod installed and I cant remove it without the game crashing for some reason.

Davidpaul92usmc

My fix is:

- open the console

- player.addfac 00029da9 0 ("Thieves' Guild")
- startquest TG02 (not absolutely necessary)
- startquest TG03 (not absolutely necessary)

- setstage TG03 10
-setstage TG02B 10
-player.additem 00019958 1 (adds larceny quest item
-setstage tglarceny 20

Then everything should work as normal.

Davidpaul92usmc

My fix is:

- open the console

- player.addfac 00029da9 0 ("Thieves' Guild")
- startquest TG02 (not absolutely necessary)
- startquest TG03 (not absolutely necessary)

- setstage TG03 10
-setstage TG02B 10
-player.additem 00019958 1 (adds larceny quest item
-setstage tglarceny 20

Then everything should work as normal.
This still won't let you actually do the next quest, but at least you'll be able to complete every other thieves gold quest. Including Delvin's special items (larceny) quest.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts