Spoiler There May Be Pain in the Night

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, thanks for visiting our fan fiction section. You should only write stories that aren't related to your character's encounters, if you wish to write a story about your character please post an entry in your blog.

Before reading or writing a story, please make sure to read this thread. Thanks, Guest, and we hope you enjoy this section.

There May Be Pain in the Night
-A Skyrim Fan-Fiction by The_Deadliest_Troll
Table of Contents
(Quick links to the Chapters)
Author's Notes:
Just a few things you should know before reading this:
  • There may be minor spoilers in this.
  • This takes place after the events of the main story-line of The Elder Scrolls V:Skyrim. Alduin is dead and the few remaining dragons are being hunted by the blades.
  • The main character of this story is NOT the Dragonborn and actually knows next to nothing about him.
  • The story may end up getting a little *ahem* intense. So if you have a week stomach, avert your eyes.
  • I am in no way a professional writer! :D
Ok everyone, here goes! Constructive criticism is much appreciated. That way I can make future chapters even better!

Chapter 1: Into the Cold
Clusan felt a chill the kind of which he had never felt before. It went through to his bones and chilled his heart, making his courage shrink. He grunted softly as he made a conscious effort to rub the back of his head which was unmistakably sore, when he realized his hands were shackled to the floor beneath him.

His brain swam inside his head and he was suddenly dizzy as he tried to look around. He could tell he was in motion, but couldn’t remember why. Suddenly, a voice cut through the darkness and Clusan was able to open his eyes.

“Hey Redguard, you awake now?” questioned the man opposite him. This man came into a blurry focus and Clusan could tell he was a Nord. A Stormcloak. “You’ve been out the whole trip. I figure we have almost arrived in Solitude by now.”

“Wha-?” Clusan mumbled. His tongue felt like a foreign object in his mouth and it betrayed him.

“Ah! Where are my manners? Name’s Feldir, proud son of Skyrim.” The Nord looked at Clusan with blue eyes that looked as if they had seen more years than his fit body could possibly have lived. Dried blood stained his braided, blonde beard.

“Clusan. Clusan Sorink.” Came the reply, short and gruff. Clusan could hardly remember his name as sharp pains shot through his head from what he was sure was an open wound on the back of his skull.

“Not the talking type, eh?” Feldir looked out over the cold Skyrim horizon, pondering something that his face would not tell. “Ah, there it is. Solitude: the end of the line for us, my Redguard companion.” And sure enough, in the distance rose grand city walls and castle ramparts.

Clusan felt as if it would be a welcome and impressive sight had he not been in such a condition as he was at present. The city was wondrous. Early morning sunlight danced off of every brick of every building and he could almost feel the heat of it on his face. He took it in for a minute and breathed deeply. Had he not been concerned about his own life, Clusan would have found this moment inviting and comforting. But the splendor only spoke bitterness to his weary eyes now.

Feldir looked back at Clusan with a twinge of fear in every crevice of his worried face. “My father always said a Nord’s last thoughts should be of home. So humor me, friend, where’s home for you?”

Clusan wasn’t sure what was going on here. His mind raced, trying to figure out what had happened in the past 24 hours. He struggled with the chains around his wrists, wondering how he got here. Was he going to die? He couldn’t die, not yet at least. He was in this gods-forsaken land for a reason… but that too had escaped his bleary mind.

“Well for me, home is Whiterun. I didn’t have anyone left really, except my dad… and he was disappointed with me. So I decided to do something to make him proud. Me becoming a Stormcloak was the proudest day of his life. And now look, we fell into an ambush and I lost every one of my friends. I bet he is gleeful with pride now!” The young soldier had apparently gotten tired of waiting for Clusan’s answer. He tapered off as he spoke the last few words until his dirty, blood crusted face was nearly in his own lap. His long, blond hair brushed his knees gently and then gave way to the breeze like the sails of the ships that had come up on the horizon. He sighed heavily and Clusan would have thought Feldir was crying had he not assumed the man to be so unwavering.

Clusan hardly paid attention to Feldir’s words. His mind was in another place. In Hammerfell. His memories came flooding back now, and he was almost overtaken by grief and joy all at the same time. Tears welled up in his dry eyes as he remembered his wife, Elone, and their daughters, Julian and Suleen. He remembered smiles on their bright faces as he left them in Imperial City, back in Cyrodill. It seemed like another life now.

“Feldir,” Clusan managed words despite himself, “home is with my family. My wife and daughters.”

****​

Clusan shivered as he looked through the trees at the fire that had recently entered his line of sight. What he wouldn’t give to feel the warmth of that welcoming glow. Twigs snapped and leaves rustled as he trudged forward. His body begged him to make camp, but he was so close now. He had finally crossed the border into Skyrim. He knew there could only be steps between him and Falkreath; mere steps to finding a safe home for his family in this new frontier.

Night here seemed different. The sky was clear, but somehow foreboding. He had heard the stories of dragons, their ferocity and great power, but the night was silent and still, save for the camp of strangers that he left behind him minutes ago. Clusan stood still for a moment to watch the fog that was his breath dance in the gentle Skyrim breeze.

It was then that he felt he was being followed. His reaction to hearing footsteps was too slow. An arrow flew close past his left ear; too close. He reached for the great-sword at his back, but too late. A large man in heavy clad armor was behind Clusan, with speed that defied the obvious weight his armor must carry. A substantial blow struck the back of Clusan’s head.

The next moment, his face was on the frigid ground and a warm, crimson stream was filling his upturned ear and trickling down to his chin. He licked it and tasted the familiar saltiness of blood. His eyes started to roll back into his head and the world became distant. A strange sense of peace came over the Redguard then as he fell unconscious. Darkness was all he could see now, and darkness was all that came to him.

****​

For the first time since he woke from his painful stupor, Clusan noticed the two men at the front of the carriage that was assuredly taking him to his doom. They were clothed head to toe in leather armor accented with red cloth, much like the men who attacked him that night.

“Imperials,” Feldir muttered angrily. When he noticed that Clusan looked confused he said, “I could tell you were curious by the look on your face. That’s who our fine captors are, and that is who will be the death of us both.”

Clusan ventured a gaze behind them and saw more Imperial soldiers marching single file, weapons and armor glistening in the morning sun. Behind these men was another carriage filled with four Khajiit prisoners with forlorn looks on their furry faces. They were probably traders. “They sure don’t discriminate here, do they?” Clusan muttered through his sore throat.

“No, I guess they don’t.” Feldir chuckled as he took in what Clusan was looking at, “They don’t indeed!”

A sudden realization came over Clusan. This man sitting across from him was the first person to be friendly to him in months. It had not been an easy journey from Imperial City, and he had not made many friends along the way. These two were now sharing the same fate, and Clusan suddenly felt sorry for the way he was so short with Feldir before.

“Hey Feldir, I-“

“Oh! Chin up Redguard, we are about to enter the city.” Clusan’s apology was cut short by the ominous gate in front of them. It beckoned them in. It beckoned them to death. Clusan wished he could have met this beautiful city in a different life, but he had no time to think now.

The gates were opening and he could see people scurrying here and there inside the walls. Looking up, Clusan saw a hawk circling the excited crowd below, and forgetting the gloom in his heart, he smiled. Then, his eyes fell to what would be the last thing he would see.

The headsman was poised on a great stage of death right inside the city gate. People circled the area as if they were lining up to see a drama performed by the greatest thespians in the land. The great man’s axe glimmered in the sunshine, and Clusan was sure he could feel him smile sadistically behind his black hood as he was lead off of the carriage onto the cobblestone of the city by the two Imperial soldiers.

Clusan allowed himself one last thought of home, of his family. His very soul jumped and danced deep inside himself, and he almost lost himself to the feeling. But that thought, that moment was passing. Now, he knew, he must focus on the matter at hand.

Docta Corvina

Hey there, I enjoyed this first chapter! :) I especially am interested in the fact that your main character is a Redguard in Skyrim. The Redguard collectively fascinate me, and I'll be interested to see how you weave in bits about his homeland and how his experiences will/may differ because he is a Redguard (as opposed to a Nord or another race).

Good stuff! Looking forward to more! =)

Hey there, I enjoyed this first chapter! :) I especially am interested in the fact that your main character is a Redguard in Skyrim. The Redguard collectively fascinate me, and I'll be interested to see how you weave in bits about his homeland and how his experiences will/may differ because he is a Redguard (as opposed to a Nord or another race).

Good stuff! Looking forward to more! =)
Gee thanks, its not as good as the amazing story that Neriad13 is writing, but I hope people like it and I hope I can get a few more people interested in it. Is there anything you think I could improve? I'm going to try to add more descriptions in the following chapters, thats for sure.

Seriously thanks for reading it! :D

Docta Corvina

Gee thanks, its not as good as the amazing story that Neriad13 is writing, but I hope people like it and I hope I can get a few more people interested in it. Is there anything you think I could improve? I'm going to try to add more descriptions in the following chapters, thats for sure.

Seriously thanks for reading it! :D

Aww, first of all, you don't have to thank me for reading it, I enjoy it! :) You've spent time creating it and shared it here, it deserves to be read and have people appreciate it.

As far as things to add and/or consider, the only thing I'd say at the moment is that like you said, maybe look at adding some more descriptions as you go. One thing that stood out to me is that while I know your character is a Redguard, I still don't quite have a complete portrait of him. I know that you may be waiting to get deeper with descriptions of Clusan, which is understandable. But I'd love to see his face more clearly. Does he have scars, maybe not the expected dark eyes, how does he wear his hair...that sort of thing. :) I could see Feldir really well, because of your well-written descriptions. I just would love to be able to see Clusan as clearly. =)

Excellent work though, I truly am looking forward to more!

Gorzash

Battle-Jaded Orc
This looks like it could grow into something great. :D It's nice to see some other new fan-fics, too. I like the idea of a sort of initially turbid and rough character. The chapter ending is nicely suspenseful, too. Keep it up!

This looks like it could grow into something great. :D It's nice to see some other new fan-fics, too. I like the idea of a sort of initially turbid and rough character. The chapter ending is nicely suspenseful, too. Keep it up!
Thanks! I will be trying to improve with every chapter so I hope that you will come back and read some more when I put it up. Thank you for the kind words :D

Neriad13

Premium Member
I really enjoyed the characterization of Feldir and all the little, sometimes unexpected details about him. The big, tough Nord is crying, d'awwww.

However, I was really confused as to why Clusan was arrested. Perhaps I just need to wait and see?

I really enjoyed the characterization of Feldir and all the little, sometimes unexpected details about him. The big, tough Nord is crying, d'awwww.

However, I was really confused as to why Clusan was arrested. Perhaps I just need to wait and see?
Haha perhaps. When I went back and read that part, I was a little dissapointed at how short it was really. Buuut you will probably find out soon what the reason for his arrest was. ;) Thanks for reading it! :D

skyrimbeast

wow, what a great chapter, I know you said you aren't a pro but really if you didn't say that I would think you are, honestly. I'm doing a novel but it ain't near that good It's called the blade of skyrim but if that didn't impress you don't even waste time with mine

Friday is My Day!

Wow, this is tremendous. It really is. You pay such attention to detail. I really need to adopt such a trait for when I'm writing my journal. I'll be keeping an eager eye on this one, man! :)

wow, what a great chapter, I know you said you aren't a pro but really if you didn't say that I would think you are, honestly. I'm doing a novel but it ain't near that good It's called the blade of skyrim but if that didn't impress you don't even waste time with mine
Haha, hey I'm going to be sure to read yours! Everybody has to start somewhere right? :)
Wow, this is tremendous. It really is. You pay such attention to detail. I really need to adopt such a trait for when I'm writing my journal. I'll be keeping an eager eye on this one, man! :)
It's an honor coming from you! Thanks a lot! Hopefully I can get the next chapter done by Wednesday. :D

Shew

Account closed (at sincere request).
Love this first chapter and can't wait to read more.

Love this first chapter and can't wait to read more.
Thanks so much! It's good to know that people like this, and it can only get better from here!

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement! :D

Chapter 2: Nazeem and the Justiciar

Ilmion looked out over the desperate faces of the prisoners stepping off of the carriages in front of him. He took in the sorrow of their expressions, and a cruel smile wrinkled the corners of his thin mouth. This was the reason he had become a Justiciar after all: to crush the lesser races of Tamriel beneath his feet. He fixed the lines of his robes nervously and addressed the Imperial captain beside him, “A fine day for an execution isn’t it, Captain Paleius?”​
“Indeed,” the young captain scowled and almost spat at his feet, but restrained the urge, “indeed it is Ilmion.”​
The High-Elf scanned the captives now as they walked toward the wooden platform of death that he stood upon. First were the Khajiit traders, arrested for skooma trafficking. Next in line was a tall, muscular Nord man; the sole survivor from an ambushed Stormcloak camp near Falkreath. And then there was a prisoner that Ilmion had not expected to see.​
Trailing closely behind the Nord was a Redguard, his shoulders low in defeat and his eyes glued to his feet as if he would forget how to move them properly if he were to avert his stare for a moment. Ilmion savored in this unexpected victim for an instant, and then the wicked smile that was stretching his cracked lips grew wider. He knew this Redguard. He knew this man!​
His heart nearly leaped out of his rib-cage. Ilmion could recognize the man very well. His dark skin and his brown eyes, the scar from a blade that ran down his right cheek and his short, rough beard; all of it was so very familiar. This was the very man that he wanted to see killed most in all of Nirn, and he was here; in the palm of his clammy hand!​
A shriek of a laugh echoed through the stone streets of Solitude. Ilmion’s hysterical laughter made the Redguard who was now walking up the steps of the platform look up from the ground. The two men made eye contact for a second and Ilmion’s pulse elevated nearly to its breaking point.​
Bitter memories pounded his thoughts and his pointed ears began to ring. He buckled beneath the weight of it all and dropped to his knees as the Khajiit prisoners were dragging their feet in front of him. Nearly retching, he clutched his stomach with one hand and reached up for assistance back to a standing position with the other. He was swiftly pulled to his feet by the captain beside him and she growled something about making himself look like a fool. But he couldn’t hear her now. He wasn’t in Solitude anymore. He was reliving the night he had met this dark skinned demon, and all Ilmion could see or hear was this man passing in front of him now.​
“Do you remember me Redguard?” He spat. “DO YOU REMEMBER ME? HAHA! DAMMIT YOU BASTARD, DO YOU REMEMBER ME?!”​
****​
Clusan walked through the doorway of Jerall View Inn and walked straight for the bar. He had to drink tonight. His arrival in Bruma that night marked the end of a long journey, and the beginning of another. He was nearly in Skyrim now, and he wanted to drink to the occasion. Ordering a few bottles of wine, Clusan dropped himself on the nearest stool he could find and let it take the weight of his tired features for him.​
Paying no mind to the man at the bar next to him who was snoring in a drunken stupor, Clusan uncorked his first bottle and gulped it down faster than even he had expected to. The liquid warmed his body as it ran its course down to his stomach. This is exactly what he needed. Tonight, he would forget his troubles and allow himself the drunken happiness that was bound to overtake him.​
It wasn’t long before Clusan had stacked up a considerable tab at the bar. Empty bottles of mead and wine lay at his feet. He would have counted them, but they wouldn’t stop moving. So, clapping his weathered hands together in accomplishment and joy, he told the man at the bar that he would like to rent a room for the night.​
He slammed the gold for the room and his alcohol on the counter then hiccupped, “G’night friend.” The bartender nodded at him, and the sleeping man who had been tipping perilously on his stool finally crashed to the ground and shouted something about the “Lusty Argonian Maid.” Clusan chuckled and started to make his way to the stairs that would lead to a warm bed.​
Walking was harder than he thought it would be. The room was spinning and different colors were dancing in front of his eyes. When was the last time he had actually had a drink anyway? He couldn’t remember, and the thought left him in a flash when he heard two men arguing by the fire.​
“You lying Thalmor son of a bitch! You cheated me!” Shouted the first. Clusan could see that the man was standing and pointing a rude hand gesture at a golden skinned, elegantly robed elf in a chair opposite him.​
“I assure you sir; I only ever play cards with the utmost integrity. You don’t become an official in the Aldmeri Dominion using tricks and lies you see,” the High-Elf responded curtly. He was brushing his front as if just being in the company of a man was making his pristine robes dusty. “Now, if you would please hand over the agreed upon amount, I will be on my way.” He smirked and held out his slimy hand expectantly.​
Before Clusan knew what he was doing, he was already standing over the two men, his hands clenched into angry fists. “Ey, yellow prick, you better not *hick* be lying to this guy.” Clusan had to hold the table beneath him to keep from twirling as he looked the Thalmor in his face. His features were ugly.​
He flared his nostrils as he replied to Clusan, “And what if I am, Redguard? I will have you know that I am a Thalmor Justiciar. And you, sir, are interfering in official Thalmor business.” He stood up and looked down at Clusan who was nearly a head shorter than the lanky elf. “I’m ah… trying to discern whether or not this man is a Talos worshipper. Now, I must ask you to please be on your way before I am forced to arrest you.”​
Clusan’s face was beginning to feel hot. He couldn’t stand the Thalmor, much less could he stand being mocked by one of these scum. Normally, Clusan would do anything in his power to avoid a fight, but his drunkenness was quickly turning to a blind rage, transforming him into a person that he wasn’t. His fist flew uncontrollably toward the elf’s body, and as his first blow made contact with flesh, Clusan roared. Nothing mattered to Clusan right now except making this high and mighty fool submit to his power.​
The High-Elf squealed as bare knuckles pounded every inch of his body. He tried to release a flame spell from his hand but it flickered and died. He was cowering in fear, “Please.. just… no!” Clusan couldn’t hear it, and even if he could, he would never stop. Each blow gave Clusan more strength and each grunt of pain from his victim filled his heart with more vigor.​
Noticing that the elf had stopped yelping, Clusan paused and looked down at his hands. They were covered in this elf’s “superior” blood. The thrill of pounding someone to mush had sobered Clusan up a bit, and he could hear scuffling and shouting up-stairs. “What’s going on down there?! Where’s Ilmion?”​
These must be more Thalmor soldiers. Clusan didn’t think, he ran. He was out the door and into the city. He knew he couldn’t fight a trained Thalmor soldier in his condition, let alone more than one. He stumbled through the streets as fast as his legs could take him, lights from windows flashing past him. He nearly knocked over a guard as fear and confusion shot through his mind. Clusan was just beginning to realize what he had just done.​
It wasn’t until he was out past the limits of Bruma that he allowed himself to look back. No one was following him. He sighed, regretting the memories that were now flooding his mind. “That was senseless Clusan. This is why my wife told me not to drink. ‘A man is not a man if he loses control over himself.’ How right you were, my love.”​
He sat on the cold ground, propping himself against a rock. Tomorrow, he would make his way to Skyrim. Tomorrow, he would leave all this behind. He allowed the breeze to sing him to sleep now. And what a sweet melody it was.​
****​
Clusan did know this elf, but he hadn’t realized until just now. His shrieking sounded very similar to the fearful squeals that he had released that night in Bruma. Clusan looked away, not wanting to give the elf the satisfaction of seeing the fear in his eyes. But he was afraid. Not for himself. For his family; his wife and daughters would be swept up by this cruel world without him. He longed for a glimmer of hope, some ray of light that would save him from his fate. But there was none.​
He couldn’t help but wonder why the penalty for assaulting this golden gremlin should be death. Was he that important in his position? It mattered not; the headsman’s axe was smirking cruelly at him now. There was no escape. “Hey Feldir,” the words escaped Clusan’s mouth though he barely had the breath to speak them, “thank you. Thank you for your companionship.”​
Feldir looked over his shoulder at Clusan, his blue eyes now blood-shot and his face pale, “Don’t get soft on me now Redguard. Be strong up until that axe hits your neck.” He nodded then turned his head back toward the scene in front of them. The Imperials were already forcing the second Khajiit onto the block. Clusan looked at the floor beneath him. The sight of the headless Khajiit traders would be too much for him now. The thwack of an axe on wood sounded out and the people of Solitude cheered. This day, criminals were being put to death and to shame, and it gave them a sick sort of gratification.​
Two more drops were heard, and two more furry bodies were pushed aside, and then Ilmion made his way to the block. “I would like to handle this from here please, Captain. This man is being punished in part for Talos worship after all,” he sneered as he stood at attention next to the captain and unrolled a scroll. Clusan got the feeling that the elf was really looking for the satisfaction of reading his name off that list.​
“Ahem, Feldir Honor-Born, you are found guilty of treason against the Empire and for Talos worship,” the High-Elf’s voice rang through the square and the crowd grew silent. No more delight was seen on their faces. No doubt many of them still worshiped Talos in secret. It could very well be any one of them under the axe next. “Have you anything to say in your defense?”​
Feldir looked up at the elf with pride in his posture, “The only thing I feel the need to defend is this land and her people from scum like you,” and with that he spat on Ilmion’s shoes and was silent.​
“Then the punishment is death!” He gestured to the Imperial soldiers and they dragged Feldir toward his fate, resting his neck on the small wooden platform. Clusan could feel his heart beat in his throat. He tried to make eye contact with Feldir, but his face was turned away from him. This couldn’t be the end. Clusan had just met this man, and he wanted to learn much more about him.​
Time moved slowly. Everyone in Solitude seemed to take a deep, collective breath and a cloud blocked out the bright sun for that moment. It was unreal. Clusan looked from the headsman to Ilmion and back to Feldir, waiting for one of them to put an end to this as if it were some kind of cruel joke. But no one did.​
Then the axe fell, and with it, Feldir’s head. Clusan’s insides turned and his head pounded. He was gasping for air and trying to flush the images out of his head. The only man that Clusan could call a friend in this world was now just a head in a basket separated from its body that was now being tossed into the pile with the Khajiits’. This must just be a hellish nightmare, Clusan told himself. One of Feldir’s golden strands of hair floated past Clusan’s eyes on the breeze, and he readied himself. He was next.​
Ilmion was looking down his long nose at the empty shell that Clusan had become. Broken, beaten, and bleeding, he kneeled there awaiting his fate. The elf cleared his throat, “Clusan Sorink, you are found guilty of espionage against the Empire and assaulting a Thalmor officer.” The last few words rolled off his tongue with the hiss of a serpent. “Have you anything to say in your defense?”​
Clusan squinted up at his aggressor, confused, “I’m sorry, but… espionage? I -”​
“Yes you blubbering idiot, it means spying! You were found spying on an Imperial camp just south of Falkreath the night you were arrested, were you not? This is punishable by death.”​
Clusan couldn’t speak. He sat with his mouth open, and his eyes fixed on the air in front of his face. If he hadn’t already lost all hope by now, the last traces were leaving him at this moment. Spying? They thought he was a spy for the Stormcloaks? What a fine mess this was. And of course they wouldn’t believe his defense.​
“That’s it then,” Ilmion was giggling now, “put him to death.” Clusan was dragged to the block. He felt small. He felt dead. He almost welcomed the blade of the axe now.​
“I’m sorry Elone. I’m sorry Julian. I’m sorry Suleen. I’m so sorry my loves.” Clusan hoped that the wind would carry this whispered message to his family. This was the end. But then something cut through the silence.​
“Wait! Wait, Ilmion, you cannot kill this man!” The voice was familiar to Clusan, but what was he doing in Solitude?​
Ilmion was furious. “What do you MEAN I can’t kill this man, Nazeem?” He bellowed, and Clusan would have thought that he was one of the fabled Skyrim dragons from the sounds he was making.​
“Simple,” Nazeem replied, pushing his way through the crowd and smiling widely at Clusan, “He isn’t a spy, and I can prove it.”​

Posted chapter two! I also added links in the first post under "table of contents" so now you can click the link for a chapter and just head straight to it! :D

Let me know what you think!

Grey Fox

"One of Feldir’s golden strands of hair floated past Clusan’s eyes on the breeze...." Awesome!! I gotta say, I love the visuals you conjure. Keep up the great story:D

"One of Feldir’s golden strands of hair floated past Clusan’s eyes on the breeze...." Awesome!! I gotta say, I love the visuals you conjure. Keep up the great story:D
Thanks! Means a lot to me :D

Imagery has always been one of my strengths. I try to use it to make up for my shortcomings :p

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts