• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, and welcome to our roleplaying section. Please take some time to read two of these useful resources below, if you're already a roleplaying expert, then there's no need to read the following beginner's guide, but be sure to read the rules.

Free Form Role Playing Guide for Beginners
    JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.

Zelda

Princess of Hyrule
    Greetings!

I am fairly new to this site; but I am not ignorant to online roleplaying! I do wish to start off on this site on a good note; is anyone willing to bring forth aid to my lacking of information to this site, and perhaps start a roleplay with me?

Do contact me; hopefully I will be online soon to see it.

Thank you!

Archer Drake

Parkour Enthusiast
    Greetings!

I am fairly new to this site; but I am not ignorant to online roleplaying! I do wish to start off on this site on a good note; is anyone willing to bring forth aid to my lacking of information to this site, and perhaps start a roleplay with me?

Thank you!

Hello! Welcome to the forums!

I'd be more than willing to help you through all of the site I know, and start a roleplay.

One of the main reasons I'm on this site is to read, take part in, or write roleplays and clean fan fictions (that sounded really creepy, sorry). I'm a writer, and I thoroughly enjoy good stories and hashing out ideas/plots with other people.

So let me know what kind of help you want and what kind of roleplay to want to start.

Zelda

Princess of Hyrule
    Greetings!

Thank you!

Hello! Welcome to the forums!

I'd be more than willing to help you through all of the site I know, and start a roleplay.

One of the main reasons I'm on this site is to read, take part in, or write roleplays and clean fan fictions (that sounded really creepy, sorry). I'm a writer, and I thoroughly enjoy good stories and hashing out ideas/plots with other people.

So let me know what kind of help you want and what kind of roleplay to want to start.
    Oh I would absolutely love some help and guidance! And no worries; that did not sound creepy at all.

My first perhaps 'guidance' I would appreciate,to start with of course, is simply the roleplays. (Although, I did not know this site had fan fictions! That really excites me!) Are their certain parameters one must meet with a character? Is there a form or template one bases a character creation of? Or is it simply the OOC mode and one begins roleplaying without knowledge of said characters or created plot?

And thank you so much for offering aid. I really do appreciate that!

Archer Drake

Parkour Enthusiast
    Hey, no problem!

As far as character creation parameters, it depends on what kind of role-play you're taking part in. For instance, the role-play "Humanity Awakened" asks that characters have their powers listed, and explained in detail. (I think so anyway, I haven't gone over it in much detail.) Most role-plays simply ask that you explain your character well enough for both you, and the others taking part in the role-play understand the character.

In some cases, sections of the character card is left blank to make the character more of a mystery to be revealed later on in the "In-Character" thread of the role-play. Such is the case with the character Maere Soul-Singer in the role-play "The Corrupted Guardian."

Like I said, character cards tend to differ slightly from role-play to role-play, but questions are always welcome in "Out-of-Character" threads, and if something is missed in the character card, others will let you know. Don't worry about nailing a perfect character card the first time, they can be edited at any time, and often change during the course of a role-play.

That being said, this is the format I prefer for most role-plays:

(Name of your character) Character Card

(Picture of character, or a character model that you've based your character off of.)

Name:

Nicknames:

Birth name:

Race:

Height:

Weight:

Sexuality:

Laterality:

APPEARANCE

Skin/Scale/Fur Color:

Eyes:

Hair Color/Horns/Ears (In case of Khajiit):

Hair Style/Feathers:

Claws (If applicable):

Build:

Scars:

Tattoos:

Piercings:

Facial Hair/Beard (If applicable):

Other:

APPAREL
    Constant Wear:

Casual Wear:

Armor:

GEAR

Weapons:

Magic (If applicable):

Other:

PERSONALITY AND VOICE

Personality:

Fighting Style:

Habits:

Voice: (Who does the character sound like?)

Dislikes:

MISCELLANIOUS

Affiliations:

Afflictions/Fears:

Properties:

Job:

Combat Skills:

Other:

HISTORY/BACKSTORY

(Put what you think you need here. Are there notable events that effect what your character does?)

Archer Drake

Parkour Enthusiast
    If something wasn't clear enough, or you would like more explanation; just let me know.

Also, if you would like to see one of my completed character cards, just ask and I would be happy to show you.

Zelda

Princess of Hyrule
    Oh! Seeing the card now, that really helps me. It is a very nice set up as well! So for cards, do we simply post them to a forum, or are there files we can create the character card in separately and link here?

And thank you again!

Archer Drake

Parkour Enthusiast
    Most people will have you post a competed CC (Character Card) to the OOC thread of the role-play, that way, they don't have to go and look for it later on.

The way most role-plays work is like this:

- An OOC thread is formed (Marked with a blue "OOC" banner) where the owner of the thread tallks about what they want to do in the role-play.

- If you want to join, I'd reccomend asking the owner inside the OOC thread if they are looking for more charcters, or if you can jump in and take part in the role-play. The owner will either tell you that you just need to post a CC and your good, others will ask that you provide a CC and a writing sample featuring the character you will be playing and then they will examine what you have and accept or decline your request. Some people will simply tell you that they are not looking for any more charcters.

- After you're accepted, all you need to do is find the corresponding IC thread, wait for the go-ahead, and start role-playing. Most people will tell you where to find the IC thread, or give a link to it somewhere in the OOC thread.

- If you have run into the IC thread before you discover the OOC thread, the owner usually provides a link to the OOC thread for those looking to apply.

- In the case of those marked "Open" like a tavern or an inn role-play, you need only to show up in-charcter and start posting.
    ============================================

Say this was your role-play and I wanted to join. I'd show up, say something to the effect of: "Would you mind if I jumped in?"

You could tell me to buzz off if you weren't looking for more characters. But if you gave me permission, I'd post the CC for my character White-Wolf.
    ============================================

If you want to see White-Wolf's character card, I can post it here. Doing so would also bring up another point.

Notice my avatar? It's a winged Argonian. Some users like to create hybrid characters in Skyrim role-plays, it makes their character that much more unique.

Some users do not care for hybrid characters.

Honestly, you shouldn't have to worry about that often.

My point is, you can do just about anything with your character card so long as it makes some sense (you explain why your character is the way they are), and your character isn't ridiculously over-powered.

Archer Drake

Parkour Enthusiast
    I apologize for the walls of text. It's a lot simpler of a process than I'm making it sound.

Zelda

Princess of Hyrule
    Oh okay! Now that makes a lot of sense! That way it's a bit more organized, rather than simply butting-in and running rampant with a god-mod character ha!

Thank you so much for clarifying! It really helps me!

So I spent a bit of time using the CC you suggested to create this character... and I'd like your opinions on her. Constructive criticism is also welcome, as I want to start off with a great character on this site!

http://skyrimforum.com/sf/entries/eilonwy-lorethus-altmer-mage-character-card.125181/

Archer Drake

Parkour Enthusiast
    I'm glad I could help!

As for your character, excellent work! I enjoyed the thought you put into the character, and the sheer level of detail you included.

I got a very good sense of the character, her thoughts and opinions, and her general demeanor in and out of battle.

To be blunt, this is one of the best character cards I have seen in a while! To be honest, it surpasses more than a few of my own.

The only thing that I could knock you for would be enchanntments. Most people don't bother to use and/or explain enchantments. Thus, they are often overlooked during the course of a role-play. However, when done correctly, enchantments can add a level of detail that influences how a character acts, especially during battle.

Like I said, it's a super minor thing.

Great job with your CC! I would love to work with you during a role-play and see your character in action!

Zelda

Princess of Hyrule
    Thank you so much! I really appreciate your general likeness towards her! And I do very much so agree with you about enchantments. So thank you for the feedback as well!

I have two last questions, if you do not mind:

1.) Would you mind roleplaying with me? You've helped me so much and I would love to learn more about your characters!

2.) Do you have pop-ups from this site that cause malware and direct you somewhere else? It happens to me quite frequently, especially on this site and this site only. It's happened three times just typing this response! Thank goodness for autosave drafts!

And again, thank you sooooo much for all of your help! I appreciate it so much!

Archer Drake

Parkour Enthusiast
    Thank you so much! I really appreciate your general likeness towards her! And I do very much so agree with you about enchantments. So thank you for the feedback as well!

I have two last questions, if you do not mind:

1.) Would you mind roleplaying with me? You've helped me so much and I would love to learn more about your characters!

2.) Do you have pop-ups from this site that cause malware and direct you somewhere else? It happens to me quite frequently, especially on this site and this site only. It's happened three times just typing this response! Thank goodness for autosave drafts!

And again, thank you sooooo much for all of your help! I appreciate it so much!

No problem! It's hard not to like an amazing character!

I would love to start a role-play with you, actually. I have been looking for one without much luck, and I would enjoy working with you.

As for your pop-ups, I have not had that problem. Mind you, I am on a mobile device. I'm not sure what to tell you, but I can point you towards the moderator Cordelia, or the staff member HarleyQuinn. Start a conversation (PM) with one, or both of them, and I'm sure they will have the problem fixed quickly.

Zelda

Princess of Hyrule
    That's great! Shall we start a thread, or continue within this one, or is there another thread you have in particular?

I will go ahead and ask them, then. It seems to usually happen when I am in a blog of my own, or in another's blog, and sometimes in threads as stated before. I have an ad blocker on, so I'm not sure if the ads are just trying to override it, or what. Thank you!

Archer Drake

Parkour Enthusiast
    That's great! Shall we start a thread, or continue within this one, or is there another thread you have in particular?

I will go ahead and ask them, then. It seems to usually happen when I am in a blog of my own, or in another's blog, and sometimes in threads as stated before. I have an ad blocker on, so I'm not sure if the ads are just trying to override it, or what. Thank you!

No problem!

Let's try and start up an OOC thread. I have a few people I normally RP with, so I'll see if they're up for it.

If you see the user Kivuli_the_Khajit, ask her if she's interested. I RP with her often, and she has a lot of good ideas.

I hope the ad and pop-up problem gets fixed for you soon.

Zelda

Princess of Hyrule
    Okay! Are there any threads that you know of from Kivuli_the_Khajit? Or should I just start a conversation with her? (If so, how do I do that...? hehe-)

And thank you!

Archer Drake

Parkour Enthusiast
    Okay! Are there any threads that you know of from Kivuli_the_Khajit? Or should I just start a conversation with her? (If so, how do I do that...? hehe-)

And thank you!

Uh, right now...no, I don't think so. I think she's on the east coast so...it could be a while until I hear from her. Either way, it wouldn't hurt to try.

Starting a conversation is easy, at the top right corner of the page should be an icon that looks like an envelope. Click that and it'll bring up a "Start Conversation" page.

There are only three bars you'll need to worry about filling out. The conversation title, conversation body (sorry...autocorrect), and the members of the conversation. The first two are self explanatory, the third: start typing the name of the user you're looking for and their name and avatar should pop up, click on the correct one and it will be added to the list. Make sure you include yourself as well. Don't worry about tags or any of the other stuff.

You can try sending me a conversation now, if you'd like.

Zelda

Princess of Hyrule
    Okay! I'll try that then! I'll start a conversation with you and I first, and see if I can do it! Thank you!

Archer Drake

Parkour Enthusiast
    Okay! I'll try that then! I'll start a conversation with you and I first, and see if I can do it! Thank you!
    No problem! I'm glad I could help.

Archer Drake

Parkour Enthusiast
    In the event that we don't hear from Kivuli for a while, what kind of role-play did you have in mind?

Zelda

Princess of Hyrule
    I am honestly up for anything, really! It could be free verse, following the story line, following an original story line, etc. Whatever you would like to do, I am completely fine with!

Also: My goodness the mobile site is way better. It takes me longer to type, but my goodness; no pop ups, no freezing, and it's more organized to me!

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts