18+ The unwelcome Foreigner from the South

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, thanks for visiting our fan fiction section. You should only write stories that aren't related to your character's encounters, if you wish to write a story about your character please post an entry in your blog.

Before reading or writing a story, please make sure to read this thread. Thanks, Guest, and we hope you enjoy this section.

adrian-smith31

Argonian
The unwelcome Foreigner from the South

JiArsha.jpg

Brief overview

The foreigner from the south tells the story of a Khajiit fleeing the oppressive rule of the Thalmor who occupy his homeland angry and disappointed with his own people for allying with them. He's not a very bright fellow who failed to do his research into the Thalmor and what lands they occupy. For now he's fleeing north and arrives in the cold and unforgiving land of Skyrim where he finds his kind is unwelcome. He meets an Argonian along the way who later would become a companion of the Dragonborn; this story is set a year before Alduin's arrival in Skyrim.

This story for now will be short but I'll see how it turns out depending on how much time I get to write and my ideas. I am planning to write another story based on Slays-Many-Elves but again this will depend on time.

Main Characters

Ji-Arsha - the Khajiit that this story is about. Skills; One handed sword / shield, rudimentary basic magic, sneak, light armour. Alignment - Neutral / good. Civil war side - Imperials. Home city - none

Slays-Many-Elves / Han-Ei Nefelures - Argonian. Skills; Two handed weapons (will use one handed on occasion), no magic skills, heavy armour, speechcraft, smithing. Alignment - Evil. Civil war side - Stormcloaks. Home city - Riften.

Teekus (May make a cameo appearance, I'll see) Argonian. Skills; one handed sword / shield. Dragonborn, advanced magic, heavy armour, smithing. Alignment - Good. Civil war side - Imperials. Home city - Solitude.

This story will be released in sections probably a few chapters at a time.

Last edited:

adrian-smith31

Argonian
The Unwelcome Foreigner from the South

Chapter 1 – arrival in Skyrim

I could see the border gate ahead of me as I climbed the snowy path leading towards Skyrim. I turned around to have one last look towards my homeland which was nothing more than a blur on the horizon. Cyrodiil, the largest of the imperial provinces stretched out below me; the mountains giving way to flat grassy plains then the imperial city and finally towards my homeland Elsweyr. To my right beyond the mountains was the province of Morrowind.

I'd passed the border gate to that hell hole ash strewn land yesterday and carried on walking. I knew I wouldn't be able to call that place home even though the Thalmor largely ignored it for it is nothing but a land of poverty, war and famine. I didn't particularly like Elves anyway no matter if they are dark, high or whatever they want to call themselves. No, I thought Skyrim would be my best destination. At least the empire still ruled there and I would be welcome. At least that's what I thought.

“Halt!” Called out the border guard. “Papers please”

I stared at him wearily. I was in no mood for arguments and wanted to be on my way and pulled my torn, soggy identity documents and handed them to the guard who ripped them even more. “oops sorry. Looks like your clothes are a little worse for wear – they're letting the water in” he remarked, carefully placing the documents back in their wallet. “You should take more care of them” he added. I took them and silently put them back into my shirt pocket under my armour.

“Soggy documents are not acceptable” the other guard commented as he observed me putting the away. He came over to me, felt my leather armour and grabbed my upper arm. “Looks good quality. Maybe its just dirty Khajiit sweat that's ruined them” he laughed. “Where did you get that armour”?

“I've had a bad journey.” I answered. “My horse died on the mountain trail several miles back and I have had to leave most of my belongings behind as they were too heavy to carry. This pack is all I have.”

“Really. You are not having much luck today are you cat?” He mocked walking back to his post leaning up against the wooden beams of the gate.

“My documents are in order and I seek refuge in Skyrim” I said to the first guard. Please let me through. “You can see that I am no threat.”

He nodded in agreement deciding that I wasn't worth the effort. However his companion didn't seem to agree as he knew Khajiit were either traders, thieves or assassins and I didn't look like a trader. That made me a thief or assassin in his eyes. “You are quite well built. You have strong arm muscles for a cat. You have clearly seen battle. Once again explain where you got the armour as I don't think it looks like nothing a refugee would wear. Your demeanour and physique would suggest you are more of a mercenary.”

I looked at him and thought I'd better tell the truth. “I have come from Elsweyr to escape the Thalmor. Friends and family were lost and our nation, as you know have allied with the elves but many of my people still resist their rule. I have lived in Cyrodiil for a few months down in Leyawin taking any work I could find so I could gain enough money to get to Skyrim. I helped fend of bandits and drug dealers hence the armour was made for me. As for my physique, I like to keep myself fit so I can fight if need be. And to add Khajiits do not sweat. This armour is in need of replacement.”

“OK, OK don't bore me. I'm not interested in petty politics of far away lands Ill never visit. However we will send word that you came to our superiors. Just to be on the safe side if you understand.” He paused and sighed pondering whether to refuse me entry or not. Just go through” he eventually continued.

And it was as simple as that. The gate was opened and I was soon over the border and in what would hopefully be my new home. As the gate closed the first guard called out “Follow the road all the way to Riften. You should find refuge there.”

The cold mountain air was thick with the smell of pine. The snow had stopped giving way to crystal blue sky. I could not see much of the land of Skyrim from this height due to the trees but I figured I would find out sooner or later. I knew of the city of Riften and it would have been my destination anyway. Like Leyawin it was a city full of mixed races where I would most probably fit in as I'd heard the Nords were racist but in certain cities other races were tolerated more. I'd just have to hope they would accept me.

I was getting hungry. I hadn't eaten for nearly 12 hours now and there was nothing left in my backpack but stale bread. As a carnivore I needed meat not a few bits of stale bread I'd rescued from my belongings in my horse's saddle bags. Perhaps I should have cut off some meat from my horse. I sat on a nearby rock to take a break. “Poor beast” I thought out loud. He had succumbed to his injuries sustained in a bear attack 4 days ago. I was hoping he would last out till I'd got to Riften but the cold and hard toll up the mountain had finished him off.

As I was pondering my situation I could hear boots crunching in the snow the way I'd just come. I didn't notice that I was been followed. I slid my dagger out of it's sheath and concealed it down the inside of my boot. Just in case.

A tall, red argonian came round the corner dressed in heavy ebony armour and carrying a longsword across his back. He looked hard, mean and unforgiving with his bone horns on the top of his head, the scar down his face and cruel pale yellow eyes glinting in the sun. He stopped, sniffed the air and snarled softly. I readied my blade then he saw me.

We stared at each other for a while then he looked round scanning the area hand on his sword. He then seemed to relax and held up his hands. “Greetings Khajiit” he said in a voice I didn't expect to come from such a brutal looking argonian. His voice was gravelly but yet soft and gentle. I put my dagger away carefully. “Greetings. I didn't see you behind me. Have you come from Cyrodiil?”

The argonian came closer and stood beside me. “Mind if I join you” he said as he sat down beside me. I didn't really have a choice in the matter anyway but I thought I'd better not say no. “Of course. Be my guest.”

There was an awkward silence and he didn't answer my question. “where are you heading? The college of Winterhold?”

I hadn't thought of that. Since the mages guild was disbanded the only school of magic was the Mages College in the northern city of Windhelm. A well respected college and many travel to be educated by some of the best mages in all of Tamriel. It could be a possibility but I wasn't really interested in improving my skills. My simple healing spell and flame spell were enough to get by.

“No” I mumbled through my bread swallowing it with difficulty. “I haven't really got anywhere in mind yet. I wanted to get away from the Thalmor and figured Skyrim would be my best chance.”

The argonian laughed hard and turned to me. “You don't have much of an idea do you?” He asked as I looked back at him with surprise and a bit of anger. “Let me tell you something. Nords are the most racist towards the beast races. Neither of us are particularly welcome in Skyrim unless you make yourself known and make a place for yourself. Not easy I know. I live in Riften, well, sort of. I rent a room at the local inn but I'm hoping to obtain a permanent home once I have done enough of the Jarl's dirty work. I mean by that I'm a mercenary for hire. I work mainly for the Jarl but I will work for anyone if the pay is good enough. I've just returned from Morrowind but came via Cyrodiil to answer your earlier question. Just one of my 'errands.”

“As for the Thalmor, you should have done some research. Despite the empire they still run Skyrim imposing their rules and regulations upon us. You will find their justicars everywhere – some not so obvious so you have to be careful who you trust. The empire are merely allowed to exist because of compromises which I assume you are aware of the white-gold concordat?” He laughed to himself at my apparent stupidity and belief the empire would welcome me with open arms.

“Huh, yeah.” I mumbled wondering if I should just turn around now.

He smiled revealing rows of razor sharp teeth. “Name's Slays-Many-Elves” he said welcoming me by a slap on the back knocking me forward causing me to slide off the rock. His strength was evident in those huge muscular arms. He offered his hand helping me up. I took it and muttered “Ji' Arsha.”

He looked at me for a moment. “Ah you not married either. I know a bit about Khajiit names. The Ji prefix indicates a bachelor, yes?”

“Yes” I answered. “I have never married. Not found anyone suitable yet.”

“Huh. Well there may not be any Khajiit in Riften but there's plenty of ale and women. That's all I care about besides killing as you can guess by my name I don't favour elves.”

“Seems we have something in common then.” After a short pause I added “Slays-Many-Elves isn't your real name is it?”

The argonian seemed to look annoyed at that question but he answered anyway. “No, not really. It's my Cyrodiilic name and I didn't even think of it as it was given to me after a battle with those grey-skins whilst I was in Argonian controlled Morrowind. My real name would be unpronounceable to you. It's Han-Ei Nefelures anyway.”

I ran the name over in my mind and decided that I would probably be unable to reproduce those hisses as he spoke his name.

“I think I'll stick with Slays-Many-Elves. Or just Slays if that's okay?” I asked getting to my feet with Han-Ei joining me. “Come” he offered not answering my question. “Riften is a good 20 miles. We need to get moving if we want to make it there before dark. I will persuade the guards to let you in to the city. You won't stand a chance on your own. Khajiit are not normally permitted to enter cities of Skyrim without prior arrangement. They think your kind are all thieves.”

Startled by this I decided to ask for more information. “What do you mean. Khajiit are 'not allowed' inside cities?

“As I said” Came the sarcastic reply. “I would have thought you would have checked before coming here. The Nords do not allow any into the city as you are all branded thieves. The only exception is Winterhold due to the college but even then go to the local tavern you won't be welcome.”

I looked down dumbfounded. Maybe Hammerfell would have been a better destination.

“Don't look so miserable. Ill get you into the city then Ill show you the bunkhouse and brothel. Plenty of ale and dirty women to be had in there Ill tell you.”

I frowned at his suggestion of the brothel. “I thought you said there are no Khajiit in the city? I queried.

Slays-Many-Elves grinned. “There isn't. Likewise for Argonians. Females anyway.” There was a brief pause. “I tell a lie actually. There's two but one is so addled on Skooma and the other married to the innkeeper so that's them out.”

I began to wonder and my throat went dry. Would this explain why he was so friendly earlier?

He read the look on my face and laughed. “don't worry about that. I did say women.”

“You mean humans?” I said shocked.

“Yes, Nords to be precise. There's three of them that are willing to entertain an argonian for an evening – or a whole night if I so choose. I'm not fussy. Ill bed anything that moves as long as I'm satisfied if you get my meaning. Huh Huh” He looked down at me. “Don't know if you're interested or not but you can come for the ale and company if anything. There's other argonians there. For example Madesi. He's a market trader who just comes to drink himself into a stupor but he's a decent guy. He will pay you well for any good quality gems should you shall we say, accidentally find some?”

“No I think Ill give that a miss, thanks. But I would welcome your company to the city” I said carefully. I didn't want to offend him as I wouldn't stand a chance against him.

We started walking but his pace was much faster than mine and I had to run to keep up. Our friendship was never going to work. Once inside the city I would either look for employment and go our separate ways or perhaps make my way to Winterhold. My options were still open yet.

Chapter 2: First night in a new land

I was rapidly becoming tired and Slays-Many-Elves kept turning around looking irritable at my slower pace. “Can't you keep up?” He snarled angrily.

“Your legs are longer than mine. Sorry” I apologised.

“Well it's getting late. We won't make it in time now and I would prefer not to be out in these woods at night.

“Scared?” I mocked.

Slays-Many-Elves strode up to me and rounded on me pushing his fist into my chest and snarled into my face “no. It's just there are more dangerous creatures out at night. Do not mock me or Ill tear your head off in an instant. I've offered my help to a stranger. I didn't have to.”

I thought the better of it and quickly apologised. “I'm sorry my friend. It wasn't intended as an insult; more of a friendly jest.”

The argonian looked at me angrily and slowly backed away. I don't take kindly to people who make fun of me. Do not say such things again. I have a very violent temper and it's best if you don't fuel it.”

A bit of an overreaction I thought. He looked like he could be one truly nasty piece of work. The sooner I be on my own way and loose this potential psychopath who seemed to have forced his friendship upon me the better.

A hut came into view as we rounded the bend. It looked uninhabited as there was no light from inside and no smoke from the chimney. “What about here for the night?” I suggested.

The argonian grunted and went on ahead entering the unlocked door. I quickly joined him and looked into the small room. It looked in good shape but had been empty for some time.

I shut the door behind us and lit a couple of candles.

“How about a fire?” Slays-Many-Elves suggested as he knelt in front of the hearth stacking firewood. I just shivered and nodded in reply and then smiled as I saw him struggling to light it with a flint.

“Here, let me try this” I said as I unleashed my flame spell igniting the dry wood. The argonian looked actually impressed and went to sit at the table. I joined him where he glared at me angrily still evidently upset about my suggestion that he's scared of the dark.

“So what brings you to Skyrim” I asked breaking the silence.

“Like I said earlier. I'm a mercenary. I have only lived in Skyrim for a few months. I was born and lived in Black Marsh for most of my life until my line of work made me some very powerful enemies. I faked my own death and fled the country. I managed to get some fake identity documents so I could travel within the empire / Thalmor controlled lands and basically here I am.”

“Do the Thalmor control Black Marsh” I asked even though I knew the answer. I just wanted to make conversation.

“Of course not” the argonian said scornfully. “We kicked them out years ago. We have never been ruled by anyone else and never will be. Even when Black Marsh (or Argonia) as its also known was part of the empire it was more of a loose alliance and we self governed. If you think it's a place for you think again.”

“Oh I know. I've thought about it.” I answered. As much as I hated the Thalmor I didn't want to live in a disease ridden swamp. I also knew the races of Khajiit and Argonians have always had a dislike for each other but I personally found some argonians to be perfectly fine with me. I looked over to the bed in the corner.

“Looks like there's only room for one. We should take turns sleeping and on guard” I suggested.

“Good idea” the argonian said getting up and laying on the bed. “Ill sleep first”

With that I soon drifted off to sleep in the chair but woke a few hours later to the sound of wolves howling outside.

“What is it?” Slays-Many-Elves muttered brushing sleep from his eyes. “Just wolves” I answered. “Your turn to keep watch” I continued.

The argonian scowled and pointed at the fire. “You let that go out” he said clearly annoyed. “Perhaps you don't feel the cold as much with all that fur but I do. Get it going again”

I obeyed and saw that he had returned to the bed. “Hey it's my turn” I poked at him. He turned over and mumbled “if you want to live to see the morning I suggest you leave me alone.”

Fine. I thought. He seems to be taking leadership already and trying to assert his authority over me. Maybe he's just in a foul mood but I didn't want to find out the hard way. I would definitely need his help to survive here though I pondered. “What place have I come to?” I said to myself as I sat once again in the hard wooden chair.

I woke again early and went out hunting. I found an old bow in the cabin which was still serviceable and brought back some rabbits for breakfast. I didn't know what the argonian ate but I figured he would be a meat eater like myself.

Slays-Many-Elves woke to the smell of cooking rabbit which I had already skinned and cooked over the fire whilst he was sleeping.

“Glad you made yourself useful” he commented as he pulled one off the spit and chewed it almost whole. “After breakfast we should make haste to Riften. I was supposed to deliver last night and if I'm much later my payment may be reduced. There's other mercenaries around and I want to keep my job.”

Perhaps why he as annoyed last night I wondered. Anyway he seemed in a better mood this morning as he went outside to collect some snow to melt. I needed a drink and looked forward to enjoying some cool refreshing water. When the argonian returned however he used the melted snow to wash his armpits. “I stink” he commented as he saw me looking at him. He handed the bowl to me and turned away. I used it to wash some of the dirt from my fur as I certainly wasn't going to drink from it now.

“We had best be going” he said collecting his belongings. So much for the drink so I could now add thirst to my ravenous hunger. Great.

Chapter 3: Riften

“He is not welcome. If he has business it must be conducted outside the city walls” objected one of the guards flanking Riften's southern gate.

“Come on now, would I let a known thief into the city?” Slays-Many-Elves asked. “This Khajiit here is wanting to see the Jarl herself. She has asked to see him personally” he lied.

“Am I?” I whispered. “no, keep your mouth shut” came the curt reply.

I sensibly remained quiet.

“No Khajiit” emphasising his earlier statement.

“I don't want to argue but it would be your heads if Ji'Arsha is not seen immediately.”

One of the guards nodded to a 3rd guard standing by the gatehouse hut and he promptly marched to his superior and saluted. Words were exchanged and he disappeared into the city through a small side gate. “Wait here for confirmation” he barked.

Great I thought. We were both probably in it now and I'd unintentionally dropped my new found friend into the crap too. The Jarl would know he lied and at best his services would no longer be required and at worst he could be executed. Twenty tense moments passed with awkward silences when the guard returned.

“All is clear, let them both through” he ordered.

At the other side six guards escorted us to Mistveil keep where the Jarl takes up residence but we didn't make it to the front door. Two of the guards grabbed me and dragged me away from my companion who shrugged and then as he turned away gestured with his hand that he wanted me to wait. I took this as a sign that he would be back. I didn't get chance to find out what he meant as I was manhandled into the city jail and thrown into a prison cell.

My first impressions of Skyrim were not great. Racist Nords, a psychotic argonian who has forced his friendship upon me, Khajiit refused entry to almost all towns and cities and now this. The cell was dark and damp. Mould covered the dirty straw on the floor and there was a strong smell of stale sweat and excrement. I couldn't see anywhere to sleep apart from the straw. Nor anywhere to relieve myself. Judging by the stench it looked like the previous occupant had used the corner of the cell. I sat on the only wooden bench which was also rotting and pondered my fate.

Slays-Many-Elves stood before Jarl Laila Law-Giver with his hands together resting on his stomach his head slightly bowed.

“Now slays, what is all this fuss about? I didn't ask to see a Khajiit.” She questioned.

The red argonian looked up and said carefully. “My apologies but I thought it would be the only way to get him into the city. I think he may be useful to us. Uh, you.” he corrected.

Before she could reply Laila's steward Anuriel interupted and nodded walking towards them. “Yes a Khajiit would be useful. They make good spies. Ideal to deal with our little problem with the Black-Briars. See what they are up to as I'm sure they are planning something that does not bode well.”

Laila sat back into her throne and thought for a moment. She knew her city was already full of thieves; after all the thieves guild made their home in the sewers of the city but she had them under control. Unbeknownst to her, the steward was actually a thieves guild member put in place by the Jarl's rival Maven Black-Briar. She was to influence the Jarl so the thieves guild could operate freely. She would see that Ji'Arsha would be caught if he attempted to spy on Maven or her allies.

“Very well, I want to know more about this Khajiit. Watch him, get to know him and report back to me” she instructed. She turned to her steward. “let him out of jail and have the guards keep an eye on him. In slays's drunken state on a night he cannot always be relied upon.” With that she bowed and left.

Slays-Many-Elves coughed and stifled a grin when he heard about his late evening drinking mentioned by the Jarl.

“As for you” she said turning back to the Argonian. I want to see what you have brought me then you can have your payment. Then you can show the Khajiit around and see he does not cause trouble.”

The argonian bowed and removed his pack containing his requested merchandise from Morrowind for the Jarl and handed it over in return for 500 septims.

For what seemed like an eternity I was finally let out of the cell and led outside to the waiting red argonian. He quickly apologised for been thrown in jail and offered to take me to the inn where I could find food and rest. I gladly accepted.

The Bee and Barb looked very lively as I walked through the door but it fell silent as soon as I stepped through with some openly looking aghast and one spitting out his ale.

“What in oblivion are you doing in here cat” one of the patrons exclaimed. “We don't want you or your scaled beast race bethren kind around here. Get out unless you would like me to make a coat out of you!”

I was about to open my mouth when he saw the massive argonian stood behind me and promptly shut up. The inn was run by two argonians, Talen-Jai & his partner Keerava who were subject to racial abuse and rarley said anything as many of the patrons, particuarly the Black-Briars had powerful enemies and it was in their best interests to keep quiet. My companion glared at the man who stumbled in fear inclining his head slightly to indicate submission and went back to his seat. He didn't want to see the bad side of Slays-Many-Elves that evening or induce the wrath of the Jarl.

“Why do you tolerate this from them” I said to Talen-Jai who was pouring sawdust on to a pile of vomit on the floor and holding a brush in the other hand. His green shin shone in the light from the firepit but he continued to sweep the sawdust covered vomit as if he hadn't heard me. Eventually he replied. “Just biding my time he smiled. As soon as I have saved enough money we are leaving for Black Marsh. Until then I say yes my lord, yes my lady, grovel, clear up puke and bite my tongue. You should do the same, well, except for clean up puke if you want to stay alive. Riften is no place for either of our races. I don't even know why we bothered to come here in the first place. If you want anything see Keerava at the bar.”

I took his advice and but before I could open my mouth Keerava looked at me in disgust and said “if you're here to cause trouble, take a hike. Otherwise what can I get you?”

“I'd watch that one shouted someone. She is a nasty little lizard with a fiery temper and is surprisingly strong. She's the one that usually throws out the drunks.” She snarled at the man and made a rude gesture with her hand so I frowned then put on my best smile and answered. “I'm not here to cause trouble. I need food, drink and a bed for the night.”

“Hold that” Slays-Many-Elves interrupted. He won't be needing the bed, I will show him something far better.” he laughed again clapping my back with his hand. “No really, I will be staying here tonight” I refused. Ill come with you to 'your place' but I won't be staying long.”

“Hey sweetie I suppose he could use your rented room tonight if you are going elsewhere” she said to my friend. “No love, I may still need it as I don't know how my evening will pan out. You have plenty of others, yes?”

“Oh yes, plenty. Mine if you wish. Then the Khajiit can have yours” she said with a slight sexual tone and gesture.

Talen-Jai looked up and frowned at Slays-Many-Elves's flirting with his partner and even more so her response. “Just stop that” he exclaimed. He didn't know if Slays-Many-Elves had ever slept with his wife to be and he wanted to keep him away from her. He had been a nuisance since the day he arrived two months ago and if Talen-Jai ever found out he had slept with her he would slit his throat as he slept. He had a way with women though regardless of race. The sooner he leaves town or gets his own property the better he thought.

Talen-Jai put aside his brush and said “this way to your room sir” I got up and left Han-Ei sitting at the table on his own and followed the green argonian upstairs. He showed me to a small room containing nothing but a single bed, a wardrobe and a bucket. There were no windows in the room – a blessing really as it was warmer without the window. I placed my backpack onto the bed and looked up at Talen-Jai who was about to walk away.

“Are you and Keerava married? I asked. The argonian frowned and said “That's none of your business but no. I do plan to marry her eventually but we are deciding if the wedding should come first or me and her leaving for Black Marsh. Depends on how much money I've got. The thieves guild are always round here extorting money from me. Trouble is there's little I can do about it.”

“Do they cause a lot of problems around here?”

“An understatement, yes. They are nothing but trouble.” He looked at me. “Take some advice from me; do yourself a favour and do not join them no matter how tempting their offer may be. Forgive me for appearing rude but as a Khajiit in Skyrim I figured you would either join them or the Dark Brotherhood.”

“It's fine. Everyone assumes Khajjit are either thieves or assassins. To be honest I'm not really sure what I am at the moment or where I belong. It certainly does not appear to be here.”

“Well I'm sorry to hear that” Talen-Jai continued. “Ill leave you be.”

As he left I shut the door and got changed out of my armour into the spare clothes I had brought in my backpack and returned to the table downstairs where my meal was waiting for me.

After a good meal and several mugs of ale Ji'Arsha's argonian companion stood up. “Come, Ill show you Haelga's Bunkhouse. Where our kind can drink and have a good time without too much trouble from the Nords.” With that I followed him outside.

Haelgas bunkhouse at the opposite end of town was just an inn really but it was a craphole compared to the bee and barb. There were badly patched holes in the roof and the place was run down and decrepit. Two benches were in one of the small rooms and a fighting ring in the other where two Nords where boxing to loud cheers from the gathered spectators. Steps led up to another floor with multiple doorways into small rooms. Several argonians and elves of various races sat around the tables but we didn't get the frosty reception received at the previous inn.

It didn't take long before there was trouble though. The argonian, Madesi made some remark to which one of the elves took a dislike to and she quickly told him to crawl back into the swamp in which he came. Angry words were exchanged for a few minutes but then all hell broke loose with bottles being thrown around and tables overturned. Slays-Many-Elves went ballistic and hurled himself into the fray pulling two dark elves away from the feuding argonians and bashing their heads into each other. He spat in one of their faces and punched the elf to the ground his companion quickly following. Then it went quiet as quickly as it had become violent. My jaw dropped as I just stood there and stared open mouthed at Slays-Many-Elves's sheer strength and brutality. Some had unwisely fought back mainly in self defence only to be beaten into submission.

Slays-Many-Elves stood glaring around at the other patrons daring anyone to challenge him. A large Nord man began to advance forward and looked as if he might but the argonian snarled at him letting out a menacing hiss. The man looked him up and down and wisely backed down returning to his seat and picking it up off the floor.

I felt very uncomfortable and calmly sat between Madesi and Slays-Many-Elves after we had put the tables back. Madesi just looked at me and shrugged as if this sort of thing happens every day. The awkward silence soon began to turn into noisy chatter. More drink followed and I was talking to Madesi for an hour or so. He seemed a quiet fellow who seemed very downtrodden and subdued. He was actually raised by Dark Elves who took pity on him after his parents were murdered by a dark elf raid. He had no racist views about anyone and believed that every race is capable of great evil but not all of the same race are like that. I liked that in him.

A pair of giggling very drunk Nord whores were flirting with Slays-Many-Elves arguing who should he have first. One sat beside him; I noticed her putting her hand under the table then subsequently down his pants whilst the other massaged his shoulders. Slays became suddenly quiet and looked like he was struggling to keep a calm face and control his breathing. Eventually he bared his teeth letting out a low hiss then seemed to relax.

The whore whispered something in his ear as she removed her hand from under the table. Slays looked at her and grumbled “there's not much point now is there?” but she simply kissed him on the side of his face and grabbed his arm. “Now handsome, don't be so ungrateful” she whispered as she tugged on his arm indicating she wanted to go to bed. The other woman smiled at me and said “How about you? You up for a good time?”

I stuttered and answered “err, no. I think I'm OK here at the moment.”

“Suit yourself. Another time maybe?” she asked. I just shrugged. With that she joined Slays-Many-Elves and the other whore and they headed upstairs. “I think I might be a while. Don't wait up” Slays called over his shoulder as he left.

I raised my jug to him and gave a weak smile. “Uh, did that just happen?” I asked the others when he was out of earshot. Madesi nodded and got up to leave. The others just ignored my question and continued drinking and talking. I decided to follow Madesi out and headed for the Bee and Barb looking forward to my bath and bed. Tomorrow would be to find some new clothes and armour from whatever this dump of a town passed as shops. I was told that the prices were the lowest in Skyrim - given my current financial situation that would do me fine.

adrian-smith31

Argonian
Chapter 4 – Time to leave this dump

It was early in the morning a few days later when I decided to make my getaway. Riften wasn't the place I hoped it would be. I had racist remarks thrown at me wherever I went. The place was a crime infested cesspit, it stank, I was the only Khajiit in the city and I didn't know what to make of slays-many-elves. Some of the Argonians were friendly and I felt I got on with them in the short time I'd known them but I felt it was time to move on. Maybe the cities controlled by the empire would be more welcoming to my kind? To get to Winterhold I'd have to go via Windhelm – another city controlled by the racist storm cloaks. Maybe there would be a trading post on the way?

I had made a bad mistake coming to Skyrim and it was too far to go back. Maybe the college wasn't such a bad idea? I didn't have much coin and I had no idea how much it would cost to be educated there. Although I must admit I am quite light fingered myself as it is in my nature to steal but I have my morals and wasn't an outright thief and murderer. I took Talen-Jai's advice and refused an invitation to join the thieves guild despite being offered a regular income. It would really have to be a last resort to join them.

I didn't want to see Slays-Many-Elves before I went as he himself had worked for the thieves guild on occasion and I'd probably be talked into it. He enjoyed killing and I was sure that psychopath got some sort of sexual gratification from inflicting suffering on the unworthy. I myself, a capable and strong fighter would kill only if needed in self defence but I would never kill innocents. Instead I opted for a letter left with Talen-Jai for him to hand over later long after I'd left.

I said my farewells to Talen-Jai and Keerava and left. I felt guilty about Slays-Many-Elves; he seemed like he had taken me in under his wing and offered his friendship and I'd spat it back in his face. I just felt that he was trouble and I'd be heading down a path I could not return from if I had stayed with him. There were powerful people in Riften and I knew I would end up allying with the wrong ones. Best to keep out of it I thought. There seemed to be a lot of tension between the empire and the stormcloaks brewing and if that ever turned into war I would want to be on the Empire's side putting me against just about everyone in Riften. No, I would go to the college for now and see what they had to offer.

I didn't have enough money for a horse and there was too many people around to 'help myself' to one so I asked the carriage driver how much it would be to take me to Winterhold. “50 septims” he answered. “I will be leaving in half an hour if you want a ride”.

I did want a ride. I had purchased some new armour but only had a shortsword & shield. Without a horse I wouldn't make it to Winterhold on my own. I'd be torn apart by wild animals or attacked by bandits for certain. I decided to take a short walk and come back later should Slays-Many-Elves see the note and come looking for me.

The countryside around Riften was magnificent. Birch trees with their white bark trunks and yellow-gold leaves shaded me from the autumn sun. Riften hold wasn't as cold as the rest of Skyrim and hence was a popular place for Argonians and elves who were not used to the cold like the Nords were. The Birch gave way to pines as the valley rose up into the mountains bordering Skyrim with Morrowind and Cyrodiil the eventually the snow capped peaks gave way to blue skies. The weather was favourable at least.

The gates to Riften were barley out of sight when I came across several tents with a few Khajiit sat around a campfire. They were accompanied by a couple of sturdy looking horses attached to caravans – traders by the look of it. I quickened my pace to meet them, glad to see one of my own kind.

“Hi there” I called as I walked up to the first Khajiit sat cross-legged just inside his tent. His two bodyguards came forward and flanked him standing with their arms folded glaring at me.

“Odd to see one of us on his own out here in the wilderness. Have you come to steal from us? The cross-legged Khajiit remarked as his guards advanced further forward.

“Of course not. Is this how you greet your customers? I saw your caravans and wanted to make conversation with one of my kind – you're the first I have seen since my arrival in Skyrim a few days ago.”

“You are dressed like a warrior. You looked like a threat – just because your one of us does not mean we can trust you. We don't see many Khajiit around here and those that we do are usually associated with the Dark Brotherhood or the Thieves Guild.” he objected.

“Well I'm not. I was actually wondering where your trade route takes you as I'm looking for company to Winterhold. I could offer my protection along the way.” I offered.

The Khajiit stood up. “My bodyguards Kharjo & Dro'Marash here do a fine job. But having said that we could use some extra help due to the increased bandit activity. We can't pay you but can offer food if you would walk with us. Trouble is we are heading to Dawnstar via Whiterun. I guess you could take the northern road up to Winterhold from Whiterun but that is a very dangerous route. Even we do not dare tread that path. The carriages always go with an armed escort and the snowdrifts are very deep making travelling very difficult, if not impossible if the weather is really bad; Winter has already set in up there and will be closing in fast.”

I thought about his offer for a while. “Do you have a map?” I asked.

Akhari fumbled about and handed me a weathered map. “Whiterun here” he pointed and “Winterhold here. Windhelm is on the way if you head north from here which is a quicker route. However don't expect to be welcome there either.”

I stared at the map. I could travel to Whiterun and then take the north eastern road to Winterhold but I would have to find a carriage willing to take me there assuming the weather was safe enough to travel. The other and safest option was to return to Riften and take the carriage to Winterhold via Windhelm.

“You mentioned that I would not be welcome” I queried.

“Yes, Khajiit are not allowed into any cities run by the Stormcloaks. This includes Riften and Windhelm – their capital where Ulfric Stormcloak himself resides. The empire are slightly more tolerant and will allow a single Khajiit into their cities, any more requires an escort. Us however still have to camp outside.”

“When do you leave?” I asked.

“Tomorrow morning.”

That was too late. Although I would welcome their company and maybe find work in Whiterun for the winter then make my way north to the college I needed to be as far away from Riften as possible and as soon as possible. Reluctantly I refused and said my goodbyes returning to the carriage driver who was still waiting for me.

“You ready to be off?”

I looked around at Riften for what would probably be for a long time and climbed aboard. “Any stops on the way? I asked as I handed him the 50 septims. He handed me 30 back and said. “Pay me the rest when we get to Windhelm as I can't guarantee when we will be able to continue our journey.”

“What do you mean?” I queried.

“Depends on the weather, Winterhold can be cut off in heavy snow sometimes for months. I've heard it has been snowing heavily recently. We'll need to pick up some armed guards at an imperial fort on the way unless there's any mercenaries willing to help staying at the inn.”

I thought of Slays-Many-Elves. He'd make a good travelling companion and bodyguard for me and the driver but he would want a substantial payment in return. I remembered what the Khajiit said about the dangerous road. “I thought that was the road from Whiterun that is dangerous?”

The driver laughed. “There's only one road to Winterhold, which as it turns south - west there's a fork with the main road going to Whiterun and the other to Windhelm. The dangerous part is between this fork and Winterhold itself.”

“Oh” I mumbled under my breath. “Great.”

“We will spend the night in Windhelm & maybe pick up some more passengers at the various villages along the way. It will take all day to get there and I don't expect to arrive till late evening.” he said as he pulled the reigns to indicate to the two heavy horses to move out.

“That will do me” I muttered as I pulled a blanket around me. I waved at the Khajiit traders as we rolled by and settled down for the journey.

Chapter 5: Windhelm

The wind whistled through the trees as the carriage rocked and bounced over the cobbles and potholes in the road. It had been a rather uneventful journey until I was suddenly jolted out of my daydream by a loud thud on the side of the carriage. One of the horses suddenly startled pulling us off the road. “What was that? “ I exclaimed.

“Bandits! Get your head down!” He warned.

Two scruffy looking burly men sprang out from behind the bushes. I readied my sword and crouched down by the wooden bench using the sides of the carriage as cover.

“Show your face Khajiit” one of them shouted. Gingerly I looked over the side at the two men who were stood a few feet away. One had a bow and arrow who had shot the side of the carriage the other carried an ebony sword and shield.

“That him?” asked the swordsman. The other examined a crudely drawn mugshot of a Khajiit and then looked at me. “Think so.”

“What's your name” the swordsman demanded. I gave him a false name – I didn't know these men and I wondered what their gripe was with me unless it was for the crime of simply being a cat-man.

“Don't lie to me cat. We have a price on your head.”

“May I ask why?” I queried.

“You're wanted for the murder of our gang leader. As are your dark brotherhood allies.”

“What? I'm no member of the dark brotherhood. Let me see that warrant!” I demanded.

“Sure” he said with a sneer pulling his sword from it's sheath. I ducked as an arrow whizzed past the side of my head. I quickly readied my weapon and used my superior agility to leap from the carriage to attack the swordsman who rose to the challenge.

“You are gonna make me a rich man” he laughed as he swung for me. I ducked and sprang around him to strike at his rear but my sword bounced off his armour with a clang. He smirked and swung his sword for another attack. I managed to move out of the way and glanced at him looking for any weak points in the steel armour he wore. There was one. On his unprotected neck.

I readied myself raising my shield to block another attack and thrust my sword forward at his throat piercing the flesh. As the man's blood gushed out he stared at me with surprise and horror dropping his weapon and clasping his hand to his neck. It was in vain as he collapsed to the floor. The archer however was having second thoughts as I advanced on him. He looked very young and clearly lacked skill compared to his mentor I'd just slain.

He dropped his bow and fell to his knees before me, lowering his head and cried “Mercy! Please!” I stood silently holding my sword above him. I moved one foot closer to him so it was under his face as he lowered his head to kiss it. I quickly moved it away before he could. “ I hate boot lickers” I said as I placed my sword against his neck. “No please, let me go. If you are not the one we are looking for consider joining us. We have a large network of bandits around Skyrim and it can be a very profitable good life.”

“I'm no common thief” I said as I drove my sword through his neck. I sighed and cleaned my sword in the snow. I rummaged through both men's belongings gaining some food, healing potions and most of all a few thousand septims. I also took the warrant and showed it to the carriage driver.

“Does this look like me?” I asked.

“Kind of but whoever drew that clearly was not very talented. That document isn't even legal but there again I wouldn't have expected it from bandits. It probably came from high up in their chain of command. Those two men will be part of a very large group. We should get out of here.”

I screwed up the document and threw it over my shoulder as I climbed aboard. The horses had calmed down and we were soon on our way.

The driver was correct. It was nearing 8pm when we arrived at the stables outside Windhelm. The weather had got increasingly worse as we had journeyed from Riften. It was cold, so very cold I shivered as I looked around at the deep snow. Everything was covered and the fir tree branches hung low weighed down by the snow. My breath froze on my fur around my face where it hung in small icicles and ice crystals.

I looked over the frozen river towards the docks where in the lamplight Argonians could be seen unloading a ship that had docked. “That's us done for today” the driver said breaking my concentration. “What now?” I asked.

“Well for me, I'm staying at the inn then if the weather reports are favourable we can continue our journey.” He looked at me and continued. “You have anywhere to stay?”

“No. Nothing in mind. Ill make do” I answered bluntly. I knew it would be a waste of time trying to enter the city. As he walked over the bridge into the city I turned to the stablemaster who was tending to the horses.

“Do you know where I can find room for the night?” I asked.

“Where do you think?” the plump woman answered bluntly and without any sympathy for my situation.

“I'm not allowed in the city.” I stated. “I just want a bed for the night and a warm fire. I have money.”

She looked me up and down. “There ain't any room here for you if that's what your'e thinking. She threw me a tarpaulin. “Use that if you wish. It will fit over the carriage.”

It was a suggestion; I'd be sheltered from the snow and wind but the cold was so numbingly painful on my fingers and toes. I had to find somewhere.

I walked past the guard tower at the side of the bridge and began to walk across. Two more guards stood in their wooden pillar boxes about half way across. When they saw me they advanced and blocked my way with their pikes. “Where do you think you are going?” they demanded.

“Please, I wish to stay at the inn for the evening.” I almost begged.

“Over my dead body. Do you know beast races are not permitted in Ulfric's city?”

“Yes I'm aware of that. But Ill be gone in the morning.”

“Enough time for you to pollute the place with your stink” one jeered. “Go on; get lost.”

“I see Argonians on the docks” I pointed out gesturing over the side of the bridge.

“Aye, that you do and that's where they stay. We employ only Argonians as dock workers due to their willingness to work and their strength. They are never allowed in the city unless Ulfric himself says otherwise.”

“Skyrim's for the Nords” the other added. We don't want you here. Understand?”

That was it. I'd had enough of these racist arseholes. I shouted various insults at them in my native tongue to much laughter and returned the way I'd come. I had to find somewhere soon as frostbite would soon set in.

It was very dark and started to snow heavily. I took shelter under the roof overhang in front of the stables. I could see a couple of houses in the murk – farms by the look of it but what they farmed in this weather I did not know. I decided to hammer on the door of the first one and offer whatever I could in return for some warmth.

An old man opened it. “Who is it?” called a woman of similar age from inside.

"Uh. A cat” the man answered.

“Cat?” the woman questioned joining her husband.

“Oh.” she said surprised when she saw me stood there wet and ice hanging from my fur.

I held up a bag of coins taken from the bandits earlier. “Please I need rest.”

The woman looked at her husband briefly who frowned in bewilderment then turned to me. “You poor thing, come inside.”

I must have looked pathetic. Finally I'd found a scrap of kindness and decency in these Nords who were as cold and unforgiving as the land they inhabit. I did not need to be told twice. “Thank you” I said as I walked into the warm room. I was shown to a chair and sat down.

I offered a bag of 500 septims. “Please take this in payment for allowing me to stay the night. I do not require a bed; I can sleep on the chair. I just need food and a warm fire.”

The man took the bag and looked inside. His face lit up with a beaming smile and hastily stuffed it into his pocket as he thought what the money would pay for. “We can offer you this and a bed. Our son left several months ago and never returned. His bed is free.”

“I'm sorry to hear that.” I said sorrowfully. I looked across the table and saw something that made my blood go cold. There, on the wall was a painting of a young man who looked very much like the one I had killed earlier. I nervously cleared by dry throat and regained my composure.

I now had to explain to the elderly couple what I was doing in Skyrim after all they had let a stranger into their home. I had to make a few things up of course especially the part were we were attacked by bandits. Fortunately the only witness was the driver as we picked up extra passengers after the attack and nothing was said to them.

I tried to pretend to be interested in finding their son and offered to send him home if I ever come across him although I knew this would never happen as he was lying with his throat cut out in the ditch a good 30 miles away.

I didn't sleep well that night. I felt very depressed at robbing this genuinely pleasant couple of their only son who they clearly loved dearly. I had to be out of there as soon as possible. I didn't know what they would do if they found out and I was still here. Send for the guard maybe? I didn't really care; I was more worried about seeing their anguish when they realised their son's killer would be sat with them. I swallowed the lump in my throat and silently vowed never to kill again unless absolutely necessary and finally drifted off to sleep.

Last edited:

adrian-smith31

Argonian
Chapter 6: The journey to Winterhold

Slays-Many-Elves read the note left for him by the Khajiit and turned to Talen-Jai. “Anything the matter my lord?” he questioned.

“No, & please call me Han-Ei.”

“As you wish” Talen-Jai bowed and walked away to resume his duties. Han-Ei thought about the cat he's gotten to know over the past few days. He was a strange one and wondered where it was worth going after him or not. The note had said they didn't want to break their friendship but Riften wasn't the place for him.

Han-Ei threw the note on the fire and shrugged. There was little point in travelling to find him without any other purpose for the journey. If the cat wanted to improve his skills at the college so be it. He sighed to himself and thought that was another friend lost and wondered if he would ever find a best drinking buddy. Perhaps if he ever found himself in Winterhold he would come across that cat and say hello. “Ah hell” he muttered to himself. “More like perhaps if I didn't behave like an ass I may have more friends in the first place.” Talen-Jai heard him muttering to himself and chose to ignore him.

After breakfast I decided to leave the warmth of the farmhouse and venture out to find the carriage driver. Fortunately for me it had stopped snowing and I could see the city of Windhelm more clearly. The Argonians were still busy on the docks supervised by a few Nord men who were letting the lizards do all the hard work. I stood at the bridge and watched them loading and unloading a couple of the four ships that were docked at the piers.

“Hard working lot I tell you” a voice came from the side of me from the driver who had crept up unheard. “You ready for the journey north? The weather forecast is very good for today. We should make the inn at the fork in the road point by mid afternoon. You can stay there whilst I go and arrange an escort for us then we'll continue the following day.”

I turned and brushed the snow off my front where I'd leant against the wall.

“I'm afraid I must ask you for more money. I can only get one more passenger and the guards will need payment.”

“You said 50 septims” I argued putting my hand on my sword.

“What! You are going to attack me?” I sensibly put crossed my arms and said “No. I am just annoyed. It's a habit of me placing my hand on my sword's hilt when angry. If you know where I come from you will know why.”

The driver saw I was no threat and apologised “I know and I'm sorry. Normally that would be the case if I were to take a carriage full of people but with only two paying passengers and given the circumstances I'm gonna need 200 septims.”

I bared my teeth in anger. “You only charged me 20 from Riften to here!” Your asking ten times that amount!”

“Ah but Windhelm is on the way. I would have been going here anyway but if I had no passengers I would have gone back to Riften instead of continuing north.”

“What about ones that may want to travel from the college?” The other passenger asked. I looked at her. A High Elf. Great.

“The college only sends students home once a month at the end of the month. As you know there's 3 weeks before anyone would be due to be coming south. I would be making a special journey and wouldn't have any passengers for the return trip.”

“It's disgusting if you ask me” the elf said looking at me and reluctantly handing over the cash. I realised that was the end of the conversation and did the same. “Here. But I wish you would have told me earlier; I could have travelled with the Khajiit caravan instead.”

The driver just replied “that's business, sorry.”

The elf wore a mage's outfit under a heavy fur coat and didn't appear to be carrying any weapons. How foolish I thought. She didn't look like Thalmor to me and neither of us spoke for a long while after we had left the city of Windhelm behind us.

At last the elf finally spoke. She introduced herself as Elanin and was heading to the mage's college to further her education so at least we had something in common to talk about during the long journey.

“How much are you paying for your education at the college?” I asked wondering how much it would cost me.

“2000 septims - that gets me one course in a particular field of magic. In my case conjuration; it's the only skill I need further training in.” she reluctantly answered. I'll be staying for 3 years before I return home to the Summerset Isles.”

I vaguely showed some interest and sat upright from my slouched position and got comfortable again showing that I was interested in her tale.

She looked at me in the eyes for a moment trying to figure me out. “We don't see many Khajiit interested in the arcane arts but those that are generally train well. I've heard there are some up at the college, one in particular, ah, I forget his name – Zargo, Zargah., hmm. But it does not matter. That one has got his eye on the archmage's job; there would be a first. A Khajiit archmage.”

“What are you interested in learning?” she continued.

“Destruction magic.” I replied stretching my legs out as they were becoming stiff. “It's the only magic skills I have and I'd like to improve them. That is if I can afford it.”

“A warrior mage hmm? Well, as I said, it is 2000 septims for a complete course which lasts up to a year depending on how well you do and what particular spells you are interested in. If you want to learn more you'd have to spend many years at the college; it's not uncommon for High Elves to spend 20 years or more studying the arcane arts.”

I thought about that. 20 years studying; that was only 10 more years than my age but then I remembered that Elves can live for up to 200 years. More in some cases. No wonder they were so skilled at magic if they spend most of their early years studying. I also knew that I had about 3 thousand septims. I'd spent 700 getting to my current point and if I spend a 2000 on a year's education that would leave me only 300 to manage on. Not much but it would have to make do for now. Unless I relieve some more bandits of their money on the way.

She was snooty and stuck up but yet seemed a friendly sort and did not seem to bear any hatred or prejudice towards me, that I was glad of for I had little regard for the Nords that inhabited these lands. I figured we would get along just fine.

An inn rolled into view as the snow began to fall heavily. The horses blew out big gusts of frosty breath as they laboured up the inclined road climbing ever higher in altitude as it wound around the mountain.

“Ah, here we are” the driver commented pulling his horses to a stop. “You two go on in. Ill see to the horses and join you later.”

We dismounted and headed for the inn. “We should hopefully find some mercenaries to join us for the trip. I didn't see any forts on the way here.” I said.

Elanin waved her hand behind her. “There's one back down the road to Whiterun. I guess the driver will find help there.” She suggested.

I didn't really care at that moment. All I wanted to do was get out of the cold and sit by a warm fire with some ale and decent food. We entered the inn to find it mostly deserted and run down although not as bad as the bunkhouse in Riften.

“Welcome travellers” the innkeeper welcomed. “Always glad to see someone. As you can see we are not very busy especially at this time of year.”

I smiled not really caring about the innkeeper's lack of patrons and asked for a room for the night as did Elanin for the inn was had no room bookings and all four were free. We were shown to our rooms where we left our belongings and returned to the common room and waited for our well deserved evening meal.

Several hours passed and there was no sign of the driver. I decided to go outside and have a look around for him but it had gotten dark and I could not see anything by nor in the stable. I assumed he had spent the night at the imperial fort and returned to the inn.

Elanin did not share the same lack of concern that I did. “I think he's done a runner with our money; he said he would be along in a little while” she said with some worry in her voice.

“Ah don't worry about it. He's probably stayed at the fort as it's deathly cold out there” I said reassuringly. “Fancy a game of cards? The battle of Heroes?” I asked.

Elanin frowned and smiled. “There isn't much else to do besides drink is there? I've had enough for now. Lets see how good you are.” With that we had several games with the elf beating me several times in a row and retired to bed early with the intention of getting up at first light.

Morning came and there was no sign of the carriage or its driver. Elanin's concerns were beginning to become a reality. As we both wandered up and down the road it became apparent that the driver had not continued on without and instead had buggered off back to Windhelm evident by the recent cart and hoof tracks heading from the fork leading towards the fort and to the road back to Windhelm.

“That no-good swindling bastard” she said angrily. “I knew there was something funny about him.”

I looked at the snow covered ground in dismay. There was no way we would get to Winterhold now at least not in one piece. “What an absolute bastard. I thought I trusted him. I have been travelling with him from Riften. He seemed OK to me; perhaps he has fallen foul of bandits?” I suggested.

The elf snorted in disdain. “Not likely. Come on, I will have to conjure a horse and manage to keep the spell going for as long as I can. After that we will have to walk until I'm strong enough to cast again. We will probably have to walk most of the way. I trust you are handy with that sword?”

I nodded and was suddenly very glad of a Altmer for company, something I thought would never be possible. With her magic and my sword we would make a formidable pair.

adrian-smith31

Argonian
Chapter 7: The college of Winterhold.

We didn't make it more than a few miles before Elanin's summoned horse disappeared right from under us and faded away into nothing. We were travelling at full gallop and both of us went tumbling to the ground in a tangled mess. The snow gave some cushioning but the fall hurt nevertheless.

“Ughh” I moaned as I picked myself up off the cold snowy ground. I didn't feel any severe pain which was good but my leg hurt as I put my weight onto it. “You could have told me that would happen!” I continued.

“I'm sorry. I must be weaker than I think I am, I lost concentration.”

“Well yeah.” I said sarcastically. “At least the college will teach you to be better at conjuration magic” I objected. “ It looks like you could use some more training. We could have been seriously injured.” It then dawned on me that I hadn't checked to see if she was hurt. “You OK?” I asked in a gentler tone of voice.

“I'm fine” she said bluntly looking around at their surroundings. The landscape was a bleak & snowy wilderness with mountains towering all around us. The road wound its way northwards towards the northeastern tip of Skyrim where Winterhold was situated. The coastline cliffs which led down a sheer drop into the icy sea could just be seen beyond a flat expanse of pristine snow.

I limped and helped myself to a healing potion which numbed the pain within minutes. “Shall we continue?” I suggested. “This time on foot if you please.”

We trudged on for most of the morning without any event or mishap; there were not even any dangerous wildlife such as sabretooth cats around nor any bandits. The weather became even colder as we travelled further north to the point where it was becoming unbearable. I would have to get used to it though if I wanted my education although at that moment in time it didn't seem likely.

“I wonder why this road is so dangerous?” I asked. The elf shrugged and suggested that it was due to the brutal weather and bandits however not many would be stupid enough to camp out in this cold. I pulled my scarf around me tighter as I thought of a nice warm camp fire.

We soon got our answer to my question. Up ahead on the road at a distance were two frost trolls fighting with a group of men or women who you could not tell at that distance. Flashes of fire, lightning and the glint of a weapon could be seen every now and then. Mages I thought. Elanin had already done what I was thinking and was starting to run towards them with me quickly following.

“You need any help?” my elven companion asked.

“You are too late to the party” one of then, another high elf said. “We have dealt with them.”

“I can see that. I was wondering if there were any more” Elanin remarked gesturing to the two dead trolls who's blood from their charred bodies was staining the snow red. “I assume you are going to the college?”

The elf mage put her hands on her hips. “We are from the college. We are returning from a field trip to an old Nordic ruin. These are my students that have accompanied me.” She waved her hand at the others. I could see a Khajiit amongst them.

“Sorry to interrupt but both of us are heading to the college. Our carriage driver abandoned us on the way so we have had to walk. How much further is it?” I asked.

“New students. I thought as much.” she said with some disdain. Lucky we were around to save your ass. You look like you wouldn't have stood a chance against those trolls. It was rather foolish to travel on foot. Nevertheless you can travel with us.” the elf continued.

The Khajiit stared at me and I began to walk towards him. He looked about my age and from what I'd seen was pretty good at destruction spells. “I'm Ji'Arsha” I introduced myself. The Khajiit reluctantly held out his hand in greeting and uttered “J'Zargo.”

Elanin perked up and turned to face us. “So you are the Khajiit I have heard so much about” she said to him. He didn't answer for a while and finally replied. “Heard what?”

“That you are one of the most respected students and you aim to work your way up to the Arch-Mage's job amongst other things.”

J'Zargo frowned and said through gritted teeth. “This one thinks you should keep your mouth shut. Whatever you have heard about me keep that to yourself.” Elanin looked a bit taken aback and stood by my side. “So another of my kind” he said turning to me. “I hope you will be more sensible and keep your nose out of where it does not belong.”

I nodded. “I have only come here to learn. I do not wish to intrude on private affairs of other students.”

“Fair enough” he answered as he climbed onto his horse. “Join me” he continued indicating that I should sit behind him. I obliged and a couple of hours later we arrived at the city of Winterhold or what was left of it.

I looked around as we rode through the only street. A longhouse belonging to the Jarl stood at one side flanked by a couple of ramshackle stores. A tavern was across the road and I could only see four inhabited houses. There were several burnt out and collapsed buildings to the rear of the tavern some teetering on the edge of the sheer cliff. “This is a city? Surely there is more to it than this?”

J'zargo laughed.” It was a city once but part of the land collapsed into the sea during a landslide taking most of the city with it. The mages college was blamed of course even though we had nothing to do with it.”

“Oh, when was this?” I queried.

J'Zargo slowed his horse and guided it to the stables. “Two years ago now. The city is mostly abandoned although the Jarl still lives in his home ruling over not more than 20 people. A bit of a waste of time really.”

I knew I would probably fit in here judging by the motley crew I was travelling with of mixed races. Mainly Elves but there was a Redguard and of course J'Zargo. We dismounted and noticed that the others had began to head towards the end of the road where it ended at a stone bridge leading to the college which was atop a rocky outcropping.

The elf who appeared to be the scholar or teacher beckoned us to follow. “We had better get you checked in then if you don't want to remain here in the cold. Once the induction is completed I guess you will be shown your quarters.”

I followed the rest of the students over the rocky bridge which had partially collapsed half way over leaving only a few inches of stone to walk on. The sides had collapsed away and below was a sheer drop into the icy ocean. The stones were covered in ice. I paused and looked down. “Is this part of the test? Trying not to get killed?” I said with some sarcasm.

J'Zargo had already made it across and offered his hand to help me and Elanin over. “We have been meaning to get that fixed but the Arch Mage says it keeps out bandits and other undesirables. Not many dare to cross this bridge. If you dare not cross you are considered not worthy to join us.”

“So it is a test and I guess I failed?”

“No, but I may not be around to help you next time. Better get used to it.”

Lovely. At least I wasn't scared of heights as for Elanin however she wasn't so sure. I helped her cross once I was safely on the other side of the abyss. The bridge led to a gateway flanked by two circular towers which opened to a large courtyard. The college main building sat directly ahead sealed with two large wooden doors. Dim candle light could be seen from the windows within. I followed the elf through a small side door and into the main building whilst the rest hung back discussing the field trip amongst themselves.

The college interior was almost as cold as the outside for the halls were massive and the fireplaces were dark and cold. At least we would be out of that dammed wind though. “Why are your fires not lit?” I asked.

“Lack of wood supplies” a Dunmer elf answered from behind me. “Please be seated. I am Savos Aren, the arch-mage of this institution.” I obeyed and both me and Elanin took our places at the large table in front of us. The door shut behind us stopping the icy draft blowing down my neck leaving us sat with the arch-mage and another Dunmer who sat opposite us.

He introduced himself as the registrar and took down our names and desired courses from the list of available scholars. We had arrived mid term but scholars often taught to individual level so it wasn't an issue for us. It cost me 1900 septims for a year in my chosen study of destruction and restoration magic with my chosen scholar and I gladly signed up after a brief demonstration of my skills.

The arch-mage smiled. “Now that registration is out of the way it is time to show you your quarters. Tomorrow will be your induction where you will be introduced to the particulars of the college and its other scholars. Breakfast is at 6am and evening meal at 5pm – do not be late. Also fighting amongst students and racist behaviour is not tolerated here. The other rules and regulations will be explained to you at your induction.”

With that we got up and was shown to one of the circular towers on either side of the courtyard gate we had passed earlier where upon entering it was considerably warmer than outside. A large fire pit burned in the centre and rooms on three separate levels built into alcoves were visible joined by a spiral staircase. My small room consisted of a single bed, table and wardrobe opposite J'Zargo. There wasn't even a window. Very basic but functional. I would have to manage as this was now my home for the next year at the very least.

I unpacked my things and hung my spare clothes in the wardrobe and lay on the bed to meditate on the days events. At last I had finally found somewhere where I was accepted for what I was and without prejudice toward my race. A place were I could earn respect and friendships. Yes, I would be happy here. Hammerfell would definitely be my next destination but that would be another day.

So this short tale comes to an end... But this will not be the last you will hear of the unwelcome foreigner from the south...

Authors note:-

I felt that I have rushed this story as I wanted to keep it short and to be honest I ran out of ideas and enthusiasm. Rather than re-write it I am planning to write another short story but spend more time on each individual chapter and flesh them out with more detail. This means there will be long gaps between chapter releases as I want to make it worth reading. I felt this story was a bit boring when I have read the whole thing from beginning to end.

The next story will have Slays-Many-Elves / Han-Ei as the lead character this time. I'm planning this to be about his trip to Falskaar around a year after the events of the game. It will also be a sequel to this story so Ji'Arsha is not forgotten yet; he will get a mention maybe even a role in the next story. The Dragonborn Argonian, Teekus will also make an appearance.

Latest posts