The Prodigal Husband (aka Advice on Leaving Things)

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Nyneve

Nyneve Atredies - Dunmer Murderess
The Prodigal Husband
A Tale Of The Misplaced Love
And thus the self proclaimed Dunmer Murderess took pen to paper...
Yeah, whatever! Ok in honor of Valentine’s Day I thought I’d bring up a funny warning to everyone. As you probably know, in Skyrim you can get married! Woohoo! Someone to come home to, cook for you… If only they could organize my house too it’d be perfect! That said after much consideration I chose to marry Onmund.
IMAG0499-2-1.jpg
I’ll be honest, I chose him because I think he is the prettiest man I could find. Just look at him! Ok, girly moment over...To be honest I wanted Brynjolf but alas he wasn’t an option. I just love his accent! Anyway back to my dearly beloved. As stated before you can marry. I lucked out and had my husband also double as a follower, meaning I can get a home cooked meal or the money from our store whenever and wherever we happen to be.

MINOR SPOILER ALERT: I began a quest where I had to murder my follower. Well I certainly was not going to off my husband! So I sent him home, gathered a random person and completed my quest. I waited about three days and then merrily skipped off to my house in Solitude.
IMAG0510-1.jpg
No Onmund… I waited ANOTHER three days. No Onmund. By this point I’m mildly annoyed but figure he’s just still walking. So I gather up another housecarl and take off for a couple more adventures. But, alas, I still miss my Onmund so I go back to Solitude, after a total of 21 days… No Onmund…
Maybe I’m at the wrong house. So I rush off to Breezehome in Whiterun. I run to the house, through the door, and… no Onmund…
IMAG0508-1.jpg
Wait! I remember another house that I have. So often to Riften, and a quick stop at the guild to check my Guild Master’s chest, certain he’d be downstairs playing with my alchemy lab or something. After all, he is a mage and this is where I keep most of my ingredients. What can I say; I’m very good at rationalizing.

IMAG0509-1.jpg
But again he isn’t here. So I slink off to the College hoping he wandered to his home. I search every nook and cranny of the place only to come up with nothing other than another entrance to the underground portion I no longer need. By now, I have completed a total of ten quests, gained really amazing armor, or leveled four times. With tears in my eyes I restarted back to where I was because I just HAD to have Onmund.
But then the most wonderful thing happened. My husband asked me to find him a new follower since Lydia has passed during a battle. I was looking through our walkthrough book when I saw the lists of houses. I saw there was a house in Markath and thought, “Oh yeah. That stupid housecarl keeps trying to take the stuff I drop…. (cussing removed) I never checked Markath!”
IMAG0507-1.jpg
With bated breath (yes I know how sad that sounds) I reloaded my previous progress to where Onmund was missing. I showed up in Markath, found my home, and the search began. Dining room… no. Bedroom? No… Housecarl’s room? Nope… (whew!) I was slinking back through the dining room when the alchemy room’s doors opened and out walked… Onmund! I literally Whirlwind sprinted to him, jumping up and down. I sent out the biggest mass text to everyone telling them he’d returned to the land of the living!
slide.jpg
Wow, I look like a guy in that pic...

Anyway, why do I share this, other than a humorous story for Valentine’s Day? Well, you need to remember where you leave things. Your follower or spouse may not be so important that you restart, as I did, but what if it was a weapon you needed because all you had been carrying was a fire sword and the creatures you’re up against is immune to fire. Or maybe your smithing items are scattered everywhere. Pick a location for each thing. For example: I keep all smithing gear in Whiterun since I can upgrade Ancient Nord weapons at Skyforge. But I keep my alchemy items in Riften, since it's small but roomy and they don’t take up much space. I have my weapons and armor in Solitude, since it’s larger and has a lot more storage area. Markath is being adopted as my storage of random things, like my books and items that I deem special even without value. (I have a lot of mammoth tusks there for no other reason than I like how they look on the table.) If you’re going to have multiple houses either keep each house for a specific item or type of item OR keep all the important things in one house and DO NOT MOVE THEM. It is SO easy to forget where you left your spouse, or anything for that matter.
Another trick, if you do not have the funds for a house or you just don’t want to travel back and forth, is to use your follower as a walking chest. You can only give them so much weight under the option to trade BUT if you drop an item on the ground and tell them to pick it up they will. You can do this to keep everything with you if you absolutely have to. It also helps when looting or if you want to focus on leveling magicka and health instead of stamina. Though I’m not trying to promote power playing, it does help a lot in the beginning. My husband frequently used it up until level 15 so he could gather enough money to keep his enchanted weapons charged since he does not like to use soul trap.
So there is my humble advice. I hope my story gave you a good laugh.

Perkless in Skyrim

Bad to the Dragonbone.
Did NOT know that even if I can't trade more stuff with my follower I can have them pick it up. Thanks!

Docta Corvina

Aww hehe, fun read! I've been thinking about marrying Onmund in my second file (I married Marcurio in my first one). I'll admit, I also want Brynjolf as my hubby hardcore, but nooooo, we been de-NIED by Bethesda. :p But anyway, yeah, Onmund seems like another genuine sweetheart. I've done his favor mission, I might as well seriously consider it. :)

And yeah, I also didn't know that about followers picking up things for you even if you can't trade with them. Good to know indeed!

Nyneve

Enjoy its many uses. Just remember to drop things one at a time! If you don't I discovered the hard way you loose the extra because only one will show. (Like it cant say iron ignots x14 it has to be one block dropped then another so he picks them up one after the other.)

NikolaTesla

Admiral Sunna Kyndai
Ah! This was hilarious, and full of information! Congratulations to you! I married Aela, and Senna in my save files, because in my opinion most of the male options seemed so similar, but now I have I candidate for my next play through! :)

treasurehunter

Lol.... Whut?
I laughed through the entire thing. It might be because I lost my favorite weapon (a self-enchanted glass sword of soul trap) in one of my houses / arch-mage's quarters / Delphine's secret room / Blades' headquarters. My logic in the beginning was that I was sure the quest would bring me back there and I would be able to carry it at that point. o_O

ltneil

Very good story,but can anyone tell me can i marry two or more women at once ? Bigamy i know but i have three houses and would like a wife in each one.

Nyneve

Very good story,but can anyone tell me can i marry two or more women at once ? Bigamy i know but i have three houses and would like a wife in each one.

Unfortunatly, you can only have one spouse. I don't even know if they ever fixed the bug that was preventing remarriages (someone may be able to confirm that.)

ShoCh

Good article.

I married Onmund too (don't get jealous :)) but I ended up sacrificing him before Boethiah because he annoyed me so much. For instance - whenever we came up against a dragon - instead of using a weapon when he was low on magicka, he would go up and punch it! How silly is that? I gave him a perfectly good mace as a wedding present! Anyway, I decided he was more useful to me as a human sacrifice.