• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Mwhals

I will keep my PS3 and if it goes bad, buy another one. I will not buy a PS4 or new Xbox until a game comes out that I want and can't get on the PS3.

Doctor Langstrom

I want to be FEARED!
I will keep my PS3 and if it goes bad, buy another one. I will not buy a PS4 or new Xbox until a game comes out that I want and can't get on the PS3.

So you'd buy a new console for just one game?

That's silly.

Mwhals

It would not be the only game as I would buy all future games for it. Once there is a game I can't get for the PS3, then it means that there likely will be no other PS3 games.

It is not as stupid as having two or three different systems from different manufacturers.

Ritterkreuz

I just read that "always on" means that the X-box one must be allowed internet access once every 24 hours or else it won't let you play anything. They also said that game discs will just be for installation

- Discs have nothing to do with ownership, and are only use for installation purposes. Games are simply licensed now

Think about this, no more owning games, you just get to license them. So theoretically after a few years they could choose not to support a game anymore, which means you might not be able to play it despite paying for it.

Overall I just hope Sony is paying attention to all the flak MS is receiving over some of their ideas (such as assuming we're all ungrateful pirates) and will go the opposite direction.

Adam Warlock

The only game reveal that intrigued me was Spark although Forza 5 did look awesome if you like racing games.

One of the things I find funny is people complaining about the resale of used games. I personally find it funny because I have never resold or bought a used game and have amassed thousands of games over the years. I look at my games and go time and money well spent. I highly doubt it will be the downfall of Xbox One because some publishers might say you can't resell their titles. I could maybe see EA doing it but Microsoft said all their games could be resold through somewhere like GameStop. Some publishers let you play single player if you bought a used game but if you wanted to play Multiplayer you needed to buy a new "key". I see very little difference you bought a used game pay to play.

As for the always online, how many people today ACTUALLY don't keep their console connected to the internet the VAST minority? Your internet sucks go to another carrier, or see if fiber is in the area, unless you live out in the boondocks. Why people get pissed about this I have NO idea. Your computer, tablet, TV, console, phone, blu-ray and god knows what else is connected, why bat an eyelash that the Xbox has to have the constant connection. 1st world problems.

I've always liked physical media for games but have made peace with the fact that it is falling out and is moving to digital. I love the feel and smell of new games and books but I understand that with the progression of technology that the physical will be phased out almost completely. In some cases it's not a bad thing try carrying around 5 text books and assorted binders folders and such for college vs a nook with all the books on it and a laptop with everything else...

I'm very hard on my consoles with the amount of games I play and I have lost faith in Sony over the years with my card information being stolen 3 separate times. I have been with Xbox for 4 years and not once had to worry about a hacker taking my info, just the NSA.

Ritterkreuz

Looks like the People at Sony were paying attention after all, and they'll be charging $100 less for the PS4.

Doctor Langstrom

I want to be FEARED!
One of the things I find funny is people complaining about the resale of used games. I personally find it funny because I have never resold or bought a used game and have amassed thousands of games over the years. I look at my games and go time and money well spent. I highly doubt it will be the downfall of Xbox One because some publishers might say you can't resell their titles. I could maybe see EA doing it but Microsoft said all their games could be resold through somewhere like GameStop. Some publishers let you play single player if you bought a used game but if you wanted to play Multiplayer you needed to buy a new "key". I see very little difference you bought a used game pay to play.

As for the always online, how many people today ACTUALLY don't keep their console connected to the internet the VAST minority? Your internet sucks go to another carrier, or see if fiber is in the area, unless you live out in the boondocks. Why people get pissed about this I have NO idea. Your computer, tablet, TV, console, phone, blu-ray and god knows what else is connected, why bat an eyelash that the Xbox has to have the constant connection. 1st world problems.

I've always liked physical media for games but have made peace with the fact that it is falling out and is moving to digital. I love the feel and smell of new games and books but I understand that with the progression of technology that the physical will be phased out almost completely. In some cases it's not a bad thing try carrying around 5 text books and assorted binders folders and such for college vs a nook with all the books on it and a laptop with everything else...

I'm very hard on my consoles with the amount of games I play and I have lost faith in Sony over the years with my card information being stolen 3 separate times. I have been with Xbox for 4 years and not once had to worry about a hacker taking my info, just the NSA.

Time for me to rip you a new one, so get the ass gel ready.

Used games have been part of the video game industry since the days of Atari. That's 30+ years of something that gamers are used to, that Microsoft and it's publisher fluff buddies are trying to change. I should not be punished because I want to purchase a game used. I want to save money, and I also want to try out a game that may not be all it's cracked up to be. Maybe if publishers and developers were plopsting out GOOD games I'd be more then willing to fork over the 60 bucks for every game. Sadly, they are not. Amazing games that are cut upon the rest are few and far between nowadays. I'm talking along the scales of Shadow of the Colossus, Red Dead Redemption, and Oblivion.

Actually, GOOD stable internet is hard to come by. Despite what your feeble mind can comprehend. I live in a heavily populated area. My landlord's ISP is Comcast and their service is absolute crap. I, nor anyone else, should be PUNISHED for not having internet or not having good internet. Also, not everyone can go to another provider. For some regions, they only have access to one ISP, and that's it. So yea, please try me again with why people shouldn't be pissed about an always online console.

A small game disc is not the same as a large college textbook. Apples and oranges my friend. I want to own the physical disc. And do with it as I see fit. You are probably right, digital distribution is the way of the future for media. However, I don't have to like it, and others don't either. I will cling to the ways of old for as long as possible.

As for your card information being stolen, that's your fault for linking it to the machine. No one forced you to do so. Yes, Sony should have had better protections up, but anyone who puts faith in any of these companies to protect your information is a fool.

utael

Well it's their product and they can do as they wish. If you don't like it don't buy it. That said PS wont get my money either considering consoles are aging faster than PC's and the "exclusive games" seem to come out for pc a year or so later. You can hook a controller up to PC you can't use a mouse and keyboard to game on a console...

Doctor Langstrom

I want to be FEARED!
Well it's their product and they can do as they wish. If you don't like it don't buy it. That said PS wont get my money either considering consoles are aging faster than PC's and the "exclusive games" seem to come out for pc a year or so later. You can hook a controller up to PC you can't use a mouse and keyboard to game on a console...

That's not the point. The point is that their customers and fans want to purchase their product, and basically can't because they don't have stable internet. That's the POINT, READ. They want to buy it, but can't. And Microsoft is basically telling these people, "Oh well, fluff you."

Did Red Dead Redemption ever come out for PC? Or how about God of War? Or Uncharted? Is Last of Us arriving on PC? True, most MS titles will go on PC. But, Sony exclusives will not. And usually, Sony exclusives plops all over Microsoft ones.

How are consoles aging faster when this passed console generation was the longest in history? And you have to constantly upgrade your PC in order to make sure it runs games properly. Whole reason I get a console, I don't have the time and patience to deal with a PC. I just want to sit on my couch, pop in a game, and play.

utael

I can build a PC right now that beats the specs of the both consoles (sure for a bit more money but its also faster and I don't have to deal with their specific requirements on how the system can be used). I haven't played God of war or Uncharted, never felt the want to. Just because they've been around for a while doesn't mean they haven't aged. Just look at the graphical difference on the vanilla version of skyrim compared to each other. PC beats the rest with Xbox bringing up the rear.

Consoles used to be the platform of choice but considering they are now just PC's with proprietary OS and proprietary controllers (that can be used on a PC) just shows me that they are clinging to something that is dying. I'm not saying consoles suck but the last great console was the N64 in my opinion. Something about cartridges brings back memories and shows how gaming should have been innovative and fun not I can do all this in this game that's so pretty but results in the same go here kill this person, go here kill this person with no real way to fail the quest or mission. I remember on some of the older games where if you didn't so something just right you either had to live with the consequences or revert to the beginning.

Don't get me wrong I understand the frustration but just because a company wants to target a specific audience (Online users) doesn't mean that they should cater to everyone. If anyone has money its console users. Games don't get much cheaper than $40 for a game for console unless its past generation games.

Doctor Langstrom

I want to be FEARED!
I can build a PC right now that beats the specs of the both consoles (sure for a bit more money but its also faster and I don't have to deal with their specific requirements on how the system can be used). I haven't played God of war or Uncharted, never felt the want to. Just because they've been around for a while doesn't mean they haven't aged. Just look at the graphical difference on the vanilla version of skyrim compared to each other. PC beats the rest with Xbox bringing up the rear.

Consoles used to be the platform of choice but considering they are now just PC's with proprietary OS and proprietary controllers (that can be used on a PC) just shows me that they are clinging to something that is dying. I'm not saying consoles suck but the last great console was the N64 in my opinion. Something about cartridges brings back memories and shows how gaming should have been innovative and fun not I can do all this in this game that's so pretty but results in the same go here kill this person, go here kill this person with no real way to fail the quest or mission. I remember on some of the older games where if you didn't so something just right you either had to live with the consequences or revert to the beginning.

Don't get me wrong I understand the frustration but just because a company wants to target a specific audience (Online users) doesn't mean that they should cater to everyone. If anyone has money its console users. Games don't get much cheaper than $40 for a game for console unless its past generation games.

Yes, PCs will always be superior to consoles. I won't argue that, however what some PC gamers fail to realize is that there are those, like me, who don't want to game on a PC. Ever. And graphics mean very little to me in the long run, it's such a shallow argument when comparing all the platforms for gaming. Wow, you can see more leg hairs. Good for you.

I'm not asking Microsoft to cater to everyone. I'm asking them to cater to gamers, as the Xbox brand is a gaming platform. They aren't doing that. Once again, you are not reading what I'm saying. They are punishing people for not having internet or not having stable internet. They are punishing people for wanting to save money and purchase used games. And how do you know how much money console gamers have? That's a BOLD statement to make. I know people who are still playing on the PS2 because they can't afford current generation consoles.

utael

And you aren't reading what I'm saying, what they want to do with their own brand they can. I don't remember the last time I used my ps3 or xbox 360 for gaming. I use them as media boxes, which is what is driving xboxs brand they realize they are missing a give segment of electronic entertainment market by not becoming more than just a game consol. Remember the first game systems were thought of as a joke too because arcades were the norm. Things change we can only shape the change. Online only is the best way "that they think" to stop piracy of games. I don't think piracy is as big of an issue as they make it out to be but regardless they are protecting their investments.

OneCannotSimply

PresidentGrogg
Look at this link of sony trolling Microsoft for not being able to trade games with friends....>>

Doctor Langstrom

I want to be FEARED!
And you aren't reading what I'm saying, what they want to do with their own brand they can. I don't remember the last time I used my ps3 or xbox 360 for gaming. I use them as media boxes, which is what is driving xboxs brand they realize they are missing a give segment of electronic entertainment market by not becoming more than just a game consol. Remember the first game systems were thought of as a joke too because arcades were the norm. Things change we can only shape the change. Online only is the best way "that they think" to stop piracy of games. I don't think piracy is as big of an issue as they make it out to be but regardless they are protecting their investments.

So telling potential customers 'fluff you' is good for their brand?

Wow. I use my gaming consoles for gaming. If you want TV, turn on your TV. I don't have to have it forcefully integrated into my gaming console. Make it an option.

And no, online only is not the best way to fight piracy (and I love how you keep throwing in topics we aren't even talking about). You fight piracy by not making terrible games, make games that people want to purchase. Also, do what Sony does with their PS Plus. Offer full game trials. Honestly, this is more of a war on used games then anything else.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts