The Nascent Ranger: Book 1 Responsibility

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, thanks for visiting our fan fiction section. You should only write stories that aren't related to your character's encounters, if you wish to write a story about your character please post an entry in your blog.

Before reading or writing a story, please make sure to read this thread. Thanks, Guest, and we hope you enjoy this section.

Chirurgeon

Haha I wish I could put chapters up as fast as you. I'm still having a major case of writer's block :sadface:
interestingly enough I think of ideas at the most random time. I have also found some ideas when looking at the skyrim wiki: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Skyrim
They have a ton of info and lore to look at. Might be worth checking it out :) The interactive map they have is top notch and has given me some future possibilities

Azir L'Stros

"So much treasure, so little time..."
interestingly enough I think of ideas at the most random time. I have also found some ideas when looking at the skyrim wiki: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Skyrim
They have a ton of info and lore to look at. Might be worth checking it out :) The interactive map they have is top notch and has given me some future possibilities

Thanks a bunch.

AS88

Staff member
Thanks a bunch.

Have a look through uesp.net, too. I've used that site to research all sorts of builds, and it's even triggered quite a few new ones :)

Azir L'Stros

"So much treasure, so little time..."
Have a look through uesp.net, too. I've used that site to research all sorts of builds, and it's even triggered quite a few new ones :)

Alright. And trust me, I've done my homework in terms of Skyrim lore. The amount of lore is really staggering when you think about it. Lots of ways you can experiment with it in writing. However, it's less that I need new ideas, but that I need a fair amount of time to be relaxed and motivated so I can get a good chapter up.

Chirurgeon

its been frustrating not to have the time to sit down with a pot of coffee and pound out a chapter

Chirurgeon

Chapter 22
Halas double and then triple checked his backpack and his various pouches making sure he had everything. He had packed enough for a week’s worth of provisions. He had fresh food like apples, mainly for Suriel, and dried foods such as vegetables and dried beef, venison, and salmon. He inspected Suriel to make sure he was as close to one hundred percent as possible.

Then with the sun rising in the east casting long shadows the ranger and his apprentice set out west toward the end of Whiterun Hold. The goal was to go around the edge and make note of anything that might need further investigation later and bring it to the Jarl or the Steward’s attention. Immediately they saw some game and Halas took the lead in bringing down several deer. The spent over an hour cleaning and taking the best cuts of venison before moving downstream. They followed the small stream that ran in front of the ranger cabin and would do so until it poured down into the valley below and would eventually join up with the Karth river and then into the sea.

book1-239_zps9cf9c9a7.jpg

book1-240_zpsb0d340b6.jpg

book1-241_zpscb088cff.jpg

Halas enjoyed the day and Faendal told him to walk some and gather ingredients. Halas did so and found a variety of tundra cotton, blue, red, and purple mountain flower, mora topinella and even managed to kill a slaughterfish and pull out some eggs and scales.

“Don’t you find it odd that we make poisons from the slaughterfish and yet people love to eat the meat, “ Halas wondered as he worked to clean the fish.
Faendal shrugged, “I suppose its like the snowberry plant. Eating the leaves does nothing.” Halas didn’t reply but kept working. Somehow there must be more to it than that. However he continued to work diligently on cleaning the fish.

On a hill they stopped for lunch and Halas looked to a distant ruin and looked at his leather map he carried. “Ist that Rennevig’s fast?”
Faendal looked up from where he was sitting. “It sure is. A Nordic ruin that has been abandoned for many years.”
Halas kept staring across the small valley at the ruin, “Do you ever go inside the ruins just to see what is inside?”
Faendal looked down at the apple he was peeling with a small knife, “Its best to let the dead sleep Halas.”
Halas nodded but couldn’t help be curious about some of the places they had passed. He sighed and then put the leftovers of the lunch back into bags and then pressed on to the west.

book1-242_zps3f5c807e.jpg

Near the end of the small stream Faendal stopped and looked down. “What do you see Halas?”
Halas saw footprints. Several of them that had gone parallel to the small stream. Ahead was a path on the other side of the stream that descended down a small hill. It was heavily used with many footprints.

Faendal’s eyebrow went up. “This was not here last month.” He looked closer at the footprints. “Look how some of the footprints sink in more than others.” Halas leaned forward and looked down. He could see what Faendal had said although a cursory look didn’t reveal anything. “Always look closely for clues.”

“Why do you think these footprints are deeper than others?” Faendal asked softly. Halas noticed a change in Faendal. He was on alert and began to creep down the small heavily traveled path. “Maybe because of heavy armor or they were carrying something?” Faendal let slip a small smile. “Exactly Halas.”

The pair had kept the horses behind a small knoll next to the stream and the ranger’s horses were trained to be quiet when left alone. It was vital that a ranger’s position not be compromised. Still Halas thought about Suriel and hoped he was safe.

book1-243_zpsca06fc01.jpg

The horror that awaited the pair when they reached the bottom of the path made Halas cringe and he felt his heart beat faster. He was on alert now and they both realized that whoever was using this cave was purely evil and most likely not to be tampered with.
There were two bodies impaled and rotted on stakes near the entrance to a cave. “What is this place?” Halas said almost fearfully. Faendal put a hand on Halas’s shoulder, “Its called Orotheim but its been abandoned for years.”

book1-244_zps8c68f970.jpg

Faendal backed up to some rocks to survey the area and he felt his heart skip a beat when he saw three bandits, orc, nonetheless coming down the path. There was no place to sneak off to. They were not walking but rather jogging down the path at a steady pace.

They looked merciless and powerful and Faendal had to get the situation completely assessed. “Steel yourself Halas we are about to have a fight, “ he quietly whispered to his apprentice. Halas looked at the three imposing bandits coming quickly down the path and felt his legs go weak along with his bowels but he managed to keep calm…barely.

“Pull your paralysis arrow out and have it ready. Hit the lead bandit with the bear helm on.” Halas quietly did so and saw the men coming rapidly down. Just as the lead bandit spotted the duo Halas let loose his arrow. It was just like any other shot and the bandit would not have time to move. Faendal knew that Halas may not kill the bandit outright but taking it out of the fight for a few seconds even could make the difference.

book1-245_zps3652e7ac.jpg

Halas’s training took over. It was a surreal experience and he went from scared kid to efficient and calculating. As the first bandit took a shot in the shoulder he howled and his voice was cut off as he keeled over. To the average person it would look like he was dead. However the arrow hit was not a fatal shot. It only paralyzed him for a short period. Simultaneously Faendal let loose his arrow and it took the iron clad bandit in the rear right in the chest and knocked him backwards with a great force.

book1-246_zps4cca9260.jpg

book1-247_zps20cb4da6.jpg

The middle bandit carried a massive battleaxe and swung it sloppily at Faendal who was moving forward to silence the bandit that Halas had paralyzed. “I am gonna put you down!” cried the orc angrily. Seeing that Faendal was moving away from him and toward his comrade the orc with the battle axe charged Halas. Halas had a moment of hesitation after Faendal instructed him to paralyze the lead bandit. Now that hesitation meant that his foe was too close to use another arrow. His brain was racing to try to gauge his opponent.

book1-248_zps8ec15f75.jpg

Based on the sloppy swing he gave with his axe at Faendal that was easily avoided he closed the distance before his opponent could swing again. It was a bit of a gamble but it was an unexpected play. The orc anticipated keeping Halas at a distance and using the maximum reach of the axe to keep Halas away.

The orc tried to backup and swing his axe. He managed to do so but it was not a very hard swing. As he brought the axe back to swing again halas moved in closer and to the horror of the orc hooked the axe head with the spike on the back of his axe. Halas swung hard with his right axe as his left was used to tangle up the orc’s own axe. The bandit desperately kicked halas in the thigh but it was for naught. Halas’s axe smashed into the left shoulder of the bandit and now was out of the fight. A massive slice that went down through the joint exposed fat and muscle underneath of where Halas’s blade had landed. With his left arm disabled he could not wield the massive battleaxe.

book1-249_zpsde62b119.jpg

To be safe Halas swiftly chopped into the right hand of the bandit that was holding the axe. The axe clattered on the stony ground. He turned around and screamed and ran a few feet before his legs gave out. He lay on the earth bleeding profusely and moaning loudly.

Suddenly Halas felt something strange. Ironically Halas wanted to help the poor orc. Halas had outmatched him and now the orc was simply laying on the ground moaning loudly and crying about how he has had enough and wanted mercy.

book1-250_zps4f8d9eed.jpg

Halas stood there motionless unable to deliver the critical blow. Suddenly Faendal came over and kneeled with one knee on the orc’s back and plunged his dagger down to the hilt between his neck and shoulder. A quiet gasp and some gurgling was heard for a few second and then it was quiet.

“We need to move now!” Faendal said in a loud whisper. Faendal knew that the other bandits in the cave might have heard the commotion and come outside to investigate. The two ran back up the path and Faendal instructed Halas to run upstream in the river. “We cant have them following our tracks.” The two settled into a fast but efficient pace that wasn’t going to exhaust them. They continued their run and then used some rocks to transition back to grass. They found the horses and Faendal stayed behind to cover their tracks.

book1-251_zps321c5b37.jpg

The stream would wash away their footprints in the water itself and Faendal’s master skill at covering over tracks worked well enough. Very few people in Skyrim would be able to find the pair, certainly not these bandits.

They lead the horses past a rather large camp with at least two giants and several mammoths. Finally when they were far away they dismounted and Halas sat down. His head was now pounding and his stomach churned. He realized he could have died this day and the thought made him sick. Faendal knew what would happen next and walked a short distance away to leave Halas be.

Halas leaned over and retched his food up and then managed to sit down. His hands were shaking and he felt dizzy. Faendal returned and instructed his young apprentice to drink some water but not to eat for a while. Finally Halas spoke. “ I couldn’t kill that orc. Something made me stop.” Faendal looked down at the bread he was eating that had cheese smeared on top of it. “Its that damn empathy you have Halas.” Faendal smiled as he said it but Halas was a bit frustrated. What is the point of all the training if when they time comes you cant kill your opponent, he wondered in his head. Faendal seemed to read his mind. “You can train all you want but when the reality of a situation hits you its hard to carry past your feelings.” Faendal lifted his apprentice’s chin up and looked at his eyes. Bloodshot and tearing from the emotions of the day he looked like that teenager from the jail cell. “He was no longer a threat to you and you had your humanity take over. But just like a deer or fox you have to put your opponent out of its misery. It is more cruel to let them suffer.”

Halas nodded and took another drink of water from his waterskin. He sighed and realized he had a long way to go to being a ranger.
Finally he did eat and felt better. Soon the two were working their way toward the extreme western end of the hold. Halas was beginning to realize that Markus and Faendal were right that you never forget the faces of the people you kill. Both the necromancer and this orc bandit have been emblazoned into his memories.

He tries to put it out of his head and enjoy the brilliant day beneath a cloudless sky that seems to stretch to the end of the world. Soon however his peace is interrupted by a wolf howl. Faendal orders Halas down quietly. They sneak up to get a view and the wolf looks different than others he has seen. “Black wolf.” Says Faendal as he shimmies back down out of sight of the wolf. Black wolves are rare but very dangerous. They tend to be solitary but make up for the lack of a pack with strength. “If you can kill it you can add its fur to you cloak or hood. Are you ready?” Halas looked at his master incredulously. He wasn’t ready and Faendal seemed to sense this. “We don’t get to choose our fights all the time. Just remember your training and use your axes.”

Halas took a deep breathe. The wolf turned around and growled a stiff warning. Any sane person would simply walk away but Halas moved carefully closer. He brandished his axes and felt the weight. In his mind he was calculating what the wolf would do. The wolf crouched down and leaped forward. Halas straffed to the right and the wolf bounded past him. He whirled around and the wolf came at him much faster than he remembered other wolves.

Faendal stood on a small hill overlooking the battle unfold. He knew that Halas had to jump right back into a fight because this could happen in many situations. You might have to battle multiple enemies over time. It was important that Halas know what that was like.

The beast came at Halas ferociously and managed to evade his first swing of the axe and he lost his balance slightly. This caused his other axe to hit at an angle and give the wolf a glancing blow. It should have been a debilitating strike but Halas was not able to accommodate being off balance. The wolf shook its head and backed up a few paces. This time Halas plowed into the wolf. Grievously wounded on the head and shoulder it limped down the hill toward a stream. Faendal fired an arrow into the wolf ending the fight.

book1-252_zps9bde0331.jpg

book1-253_zps34748829.jpg

“I didn’t want it to get away, “ Faendal shrugged. Halas simply nodded and admitted that he was a bit tired and didn’t want to give chase to the wolf. The pair worked to skin the beast and treat the hide with salt. “They are quite fast and strong aren’t they?” Faendal asked already knowing the answer to the question. Halas agreed and then finished cleaning his knife and hands in the stream. The water, pure, was tinged with crimson ribbons that flowed off his skin. It gave him pause to think that he had ended the lives of many beasts and now human and orc.

“You are going to be ready for the trials Halas.” Faendal smiled and hopped up onto Rugot. Halas followed suit and the two pressed on.
They came to a large hill that overlooked Rorikstead. Looking east you could see the long valley that made up Whiterun plain. It would extend to Whiterun and then beyond to the mountains that separate Whiterun from Eastmarch.

book1-255_zps59857b82.jpg

Near a pile of rubble was a shrine to Akatosh. Being a dragon many of the items left at the shrine represented relics of dragons. A book called Olaf and the Dragon that Halas had read as a child was there as well as a dragon bone and dragon scale. “Wow you have any idea how much a dragon bone is worth?” Halas asked curiously and excitedly. “About 250 septims. But we don’t take stuff that does not belong to us. We cant have Akatosh hunting us down!” Faendal replied half jokingly but Halas knew that his master meant what he said. Faendal had told him many times that under no circumstance do rangers steal anything.

book1-254_zpsd00c8198.jpg

Halas put the book down by the shrine and mounted Suriel and descended toward Rorikstead. It was afternoon and soon they would need to find a place to set up camp. Before they did they talked to the innkeeper of the Frostfruit Inn and then pressed on.

Faendal told Halas they should avoid the roads because the legion and town guard did a good job of that. Trouble would be found off the beaten path. Halas thought on this and realized the hideout of Orotheim was a good example of this.

Finally they found a spot in the plains that had a small depression with a rock wall to give shelter to the wind and hide the fire a bit at night. Faendal went to his bag and pulled out a black wolf skin. “Here use mine and I will take yours. That way you can add the black pelt to your cloak or hood.”

Halas smiled and measured the best part of the wolf skin and cut it so that it was in the shape of a hood. Using some tailor string he began to make a seam careful to allow some of the wolfskin to cover it. He preserved the snowfox fur from his old hood and soon he had a rather impressive little hood with a sharp contrast of black and white. “Well that is quite impressive Halas, “ Faendal said smiling with his arms crossed. “I gathered firewood and made some stew while you improved your fashion.”
Halas laughed a little. “Get something to eat and then get to bed. You have watch in three hours.” Halas looked confused. “Don’t worry I will teach you how to keep watch. Now get some sleep.”

book1-256_zps0580e05e.jpg

book1-257_zps9f626c72.jpg

At first Halas didn’t feel tired but as soon as he was laying in his bed in the late afternoon light and the warmth flowing into his tent from the fire he was ready for sleep. His brain had been running constantly and his body ached from the battles he had that day. His shoes off and the warmth of the fire washing over him he soon drifted asleep and had very strange dreams indeed.

When he was awoken by Faendal it was nearly nightfall and then Faendal told him to find a spot about 25 meters away from the fire as the light should not betray his location. “When you keep watch you don’t sit around camp playing in the fire. This isn’t the legion. A ranger keeps watch by disappearing into the shadows so that he can see anything that gets near the camp. You keep your bow ready and you lean against a tree or rock ready for anything.”

Halas found a spot away from camp and the flames. However it also meant you were far from the heat of the fire. “There is a trick that might help you stay warm young Halas. Take two of these rocks and carry them to your watch post and stand with them between your feet.” Halas leaned down to the fire and wrapped two of the rocks into some burlap and carried them to where he was positioned next to a tree. He set them on the ground in the burlap and the heat could be felt in his feet. “If your feet are warm then you will be warm, “ he remembered Markus telling him.

Faendal was right. The warmth from the rocks was so great he actually had to stand away from them at first. As his watch wore on he edged his feet closer until by the end of watch the stones were as cold as the earth. He was a little cold but not nearly as much as he could have been.

Faendal had put fresh logs on before he turned into sleep. In those three hours he watched the stars come out brilliantly and shine down from a cloudless night. He watched the fires play tricks as the flames danced and cast shadows in all directions. Halas was still and could sense everything around him. A few times he thought he heard something. He knew that when the moon Secunda reached a certain point in the sky he should wake up Faendal so they could trade watches. Occasionally Suriel would look in the direction of Halas as if to check on him. Each time Halas would catch himself smiling.

book1-258_zpsff434366.jpg

Of course Halas kept thinking about the events of the day. How he had used his skills to beat adversaries. For the first time he began to realize that training was the difference between life and death. In Skyrim the difference between life and death took many forms. He sighed quietly and looked to see that Secunda had reached the point in the sky in which he was to wake Faendal. Halas did a quick check of the surroundings and then walked toward the camp to wake up his master.

Khasrin

Fusozayiit
Finally got a few moments to sit down and start reading this! I'm loving it so far :D You do a fantastic job immersing the reader in the story, and I really like the whole screenshot illustration thing you've got going on. Can't wait to read some more of this! :)

Chirurgeon

Finally got a few moments to sit down and start reading this! I'm loving it so far :D You do a fantastic job immersing the reader in the story, and I really like the whole screenshot illustration thing you've got going on. Can't wait to read some more of this! :)
Thank you so much...i will have to read your latest chapter. Just been very busy lately

Khasrin

Fusozayiit
Thank you so much...i will have to read your latest chapter. Just been very busy lately

I know the feeling! Just as well you haven't read it, actually - I realized I had put up not the final edit, but the draft BEFORE the final edit :rolleyes: All fixed now, not sure what kind of special moment I was having when I did that o_O lol

Chirurgeon

Chapter 23
Halas would be fast asleep when he would be woken again for watch. Faendal had made some steaming coffee and Halas had again taken a few stones wrapped in burlap out to a different spot to keep an eye on the camp. He drank the liquid quickly and then waited until Secunda was nearly across the horizon before he went to wake Faendal for last watch. It was nearly dawn now and Halas did not feel as if he had had any decent sleep. He went back asleep again only to be awoken by Faendal making breakfast.

“Did you sleep good?” Faendal asked as Halas picked up his items from inside his tent. Each item placed in the same spot each time so that it became easy to find your sword or bow. “You wouldn’t want to die looking for your axes, “ he remembered Markus saying.

Halas rubbed his eyes and looked at the sun streaming in over the mountains that bordered Morrowind. “No it was not the best sleep,” he stated flatly as he stretched his arms skyward. He felt a little better and realized he was hungry. He decided to do some talking because he was still groggy and wanted to shake out the sleepiness. “Where are we headed today?” Halas asked with a curious tone. “I would like to get to the area where the pale, Whiterun, and Eastmarch holds come together.” He said this as he undid a purse string at the top of a leather pouch and poured the contents into some water. Faendal was making one of his wilderness stews that was made of dried vegetables and meat. Add salt and it was quite good. It would take a few minutes before the dried food soaked up the moisture and looked palatable but until then Halas helped himself to some coffee and looked around for a few moments.

book1-259_zps903b5cae.jpg

Faendal looked at his apprentice rubbing his chin and looking at the rising sun. “We best get packed as we have a long road ahead today.” Halas looked in the same direction and smiled, “I thought we didn’t use roads during a perimeter survey,” he continued to smile wryly as Faendal nodded. “You know what I mean apprentice. Now go pack my tent!” Faendal smiled and Halas grimaced as he went and began to break down camp.
Leather tents were pretty straight forward to break down and it only took Halas a few minutes to complete the chore and have it rolled into a fat tube that would be slung onto Rugot for travel.

The bedroll would be rolled up so that the waterproof bottom would be on the outside so that if it rained the bedroll would not get wet. Here Halas carried his bedroll under his backpack and Faendal kept his stored in Rugot.

Breakfast was ready by the time Halas had broken down the tents. Now the pair were ready to head out and after finishing eating and washing the pot out in a nearby water pool they mounted their horses and headed east.

book1-260_zpse4ac73e0.jpg

They headed roughly toward fort Greymoor and then would cross the road and head toward the southern side of the western watchtower. On the way Halas bagged two deer and it took an hour for the pair to cut up the meat and salt the skins until they could properly clean them. “Gotta have meat for winter, “ Faendal had said as he hacked the choice cuts off the animal.

book1-261_zpsb9006571.jpg

Halas looked around and realized that the spring rains had turned Whiterun plains into a gorgeous vibrant place. Most of the year it was dull but during the summer it came to life with the relatively mild temperatures and rains. It was the one time the plants had the chance to flower and sow their seeds. It was also the peak of the grazing time for many of the herbivores including elk and deer. Faendal had Halas pick up many of the types of flowers as they finished cleaning the deer Halas had killed. It was a nice place for sure and Halas truly appreciated the beauty of it.

As they continued toward the Western Watch tower a Whiterun guard waved his hands at the two riders. “I wonder what this is about?” Faendal wondered as he spurred Rugot toward the guard. Halas felt a blip of excitement as the two moved close to the guard and dismounted.

“Greetings Faendal I am Eric and we have a bit of a problem here.” Faendal nodded and let the guard speak. Halas found it curious that the guards would know Faendal’s name. He supposed that it was every guard’s duty to know the name of the Jarl’s Ranger.

book1-267_zps2a1cad72.jpg

“We caught two bandits stealing goods from Pelagia’s farm. We couldn’t leave our posts so we had the men form a rough circle around the area they disappeared to. They are probably going to wait till nightfall to try and make a move somewhere.” The guard looked down and kicked a small stone. He then looked back up. “We are waiting for Captain Maro to send more men to relieve us but it could take a while. The Jarl would be mad if these bandits escaped with goods so close to town. A wee bit embarrassing eh?”

Faendal nodded and turned around and scanned the area where the bandits had hidden. It was a small depression in the ground with some trees and grass. He frowned and realized it was not a good hiding spot unless it was night. “You are right they cant stay there, “ Faendal said to the guard as he turned around. "In fact one of them is making a run for freedom right now.” Faendal turned back around and Halas undid his bow. “Offer him a chance to surrender if he doesn’t stop then turn him into a pincussion.” Halas undid his bow and notched an arrow. On the far side of the trees a khajiit in light armor was running toward a gap in the lines of guards. “Have your axes ready Halas in case he slips through.” Halas looked around quickly and nearly laughed when he saw two guards and Faendal with arrows notched and bows drawn to the cheek.

book1-265_zps403d2dad.jpg

book1-264_zpsff91da22.jpg

However he did what he was told and the nearby guard named Eric boomed out a command, “By the name of the Jarl of Whiterun stop and drop your weapons!” The Khajiit only quickened his pace and he ran really fast. He was closing the distance fast and the guards fired their arrows. Both arrows missed and now Halas steeled himself. If Faendal missed he would have to deal with this opponent running at him full speed. How would he stop him? Could he chop him in the leg or something? Halas had never had to deal with this before. However he didn’t have to. Faendal’s arrow punched through the khajiits head and came out the back side. The bandit’s momentum had made the impact even harder than normal. Halas cringed a bit as he saw the bandit pitch backward from the impact.

book1-266_zpsebffe62e.jpg

The Whiterun guards had tried to notch a second arrow but it wasn’t needed. “By the divines that is a brutal shot! I have heard you are good with a bow and now I can see it!” The guard was amazed and walked up to the body to inspect the wound. “Right between the eyes, “ the guard stared at the body in wonder.
Faendal interrupted them, “There is a second bandit out there and if they just saw what happened here we certainly won’t catch them easily. “
Faendal knew that the Jarl had zero tolerance for banditry and would likely hang or execute anyone caught. So any bandits that could be caught would rather take their chances fighting than surrendering. It was a reality that the guards and the rangers had to deal with. However being a bandit could be lucrative and many found the life of adventure, despite the risk, very attractive.

Most avoided conflict as they simply just wanted to live on the fringes of society. However they could not be tolerated because they would attack travelers or homeowners. Still it was unusual for bandits to strike so close to a city and during the daytime at that.

“we are going to go scout things out so as to find this second bandit’s location. Tell your men that we might flush them out and they might make a run for it.” Faendal said as if he was in charge. Halas looked at the guards and realized that Faendal was in charge! The men waited for orders from the ranger. “Oh and Eric make sure your men focus a bit better on the archery this time. Tell them to wait for a good shot and not to rush it. We cant have them messing this up.” Eric nodded and went quickly to consult with his men. His chainmail made a loud swishy metallic sound as he ran down the cobbled road to talk to the other guards. Halas realized now why heavy armor was unsuitable for rangers.

They were first going to find the tracks of the bandits so that they could find their likely location. It is unlikely that the bandit would try to scale the mountain that was south of the watchtower. But they would soon find out as the snow on the slopes would betray their location. It was also unlikely that a bandit would try to cover their tracks and if they had they would have done a slopply job of it.

The pair moved to the farm and soon picked up the tracks through some mud by a chicken nest and followed it back to the area where the guards said the bandits went to hide. Another set of deeper and bigger tracks were next to the smaller ones. “Is that the guard chasing them?” Halas asked hoping he was right. Faendal smiled and nodded. “Yes that is the unmistakable large footprint of a strapping Nord in heavy armor.”

book1-268_zpsb966e2a1.jpg

Soon the larger tracks peeled off and went toward the watchtower. “Where he left to go tell the other guards, “ Halas said confidently. “Halas your skills of observation are astounding!” Halas sneered a bit at the back of Faendal as he knew his master well enough to know his sarcasm.

As they approached a small hill that would give them purchase of the area below the pair became quiet and stealthy. Halas remembered the skills that his master had taught him, and employed them now. Peering through some grasses they saw the bandit hiding by some rocks.

book1-263_zpsfa2e7fff.jpg

It was a girl and she was obviously on high alert.

The two backed off a bit so that they could whisper. “I want you to pull out your axes and approach her and ask her to surrender to the mercy of the Jarl.” Halas felt his heart race. “And if she doesn’t?” Halas let the question hang in the air. Faendal chose not to answer the question. “I will be behind you with the bow. I will try to put her down before she gets to close but you need to be prepared for a fight.”

book1-262_zps3db95165.jpg

Deep down Faendal was just as scared as Halas. Not for himself but rather for his apprentice. However he also knew that he had to give Halas real experience with acting as a ranger. “Remember your training and you will be fine.”

Faendal knew that he would have to take a shot if his apprentice got into trouble. He just prayed he wouldn’t have to.
“She doesn’t have a bow and only has a rusty old war axe. This should not be hard for you.” Faendal said with encouragement.

Halas descended down the hill and the bandit walked toward him with her axe and Halas undid his own. The bandit was taken aback by the fact that Halas was wielding two axes. She hesitated but walked closer. It was at this point that Halas had serious doubt that he could do this. She was quite pretty and he had no desire to harm or kill a girl. However the bandit then saw Faendal standing with his bow drawn and locked onto the bandit. Halas looked at the girl and pleaded with her.

“Please lower your weapon and come with us by the order of the Jarl.” Halas felt a bit ridiculous for asking nicely but he just couldn’t help it. The beauty of the woman was a bit mesmerizing but he remained focused. The bandit started to lower her weapon and then charged suddenly at Halas. Halas had not lowered his weapon as he knew an opponent might try to throw off someone. She came desperately and Halas knew that she was not match for him. However he dreaded sinking his axes into her beautiful body.

book1-269_zpsaf45bbac.jpg

He would not have to. Halas felt a rush of air to his left and a moment later a stunned look on the bandits face as the arrow seemingly passed by her without hitting her. Perhaps she was scared by how close the arrow had come. It took a moment but the bandit stopped and dropped her axe and grabbed her throat. Blood dribbled between her fingers and she fell backwards. The arrow had been poisoned but because it had not stayed in her body, only some of the poison would have made it inside her body. She was coughing and lying on the ground and Halas felt himself freeze. A pool of crimson began to form on the snow beneath her body and Halas watched in horror as she kicked her legs in agony and continued to writhe on the ground. Tears flowed down her face as he eyes were wide open with fear. “Finish it Halas!” He heard Faendal say loudly from behind. Halas took out his dagger and looked down at his shaking hand and felt sick. “I….I…umm how should I do it?” He asked desperately and in shock.

book1-270_zps7a3abcf8.jpg

He suddenly heard footsteps from behind and Halas began to walk up to the bandit. Suddenly he was flung off to the side and Faendal quickly knelt down over the bandit. He grabbed her leather chest armor which was low cut anyway and yanked it down to expose her chest and managed to expose her breasts as well. He then plunged his dagger deep into her chest and the look of fear turned to emptiness as her heart stopped.

Faendal was frustrated and upset at his apprentice. “What is wrong with you Halas?” He asked furiously. He was as mad as Halas had ever seen him. It was something terrifying to see and Halas was stunned by his master’s sudden anger. “What do you mean?” Halas asked sheepishly. He looked down now. “You would have her lay there and suffer and do nothing?” He demanded an answer from his apprentice and Halas simply stood there looking at the snow and hearing the sound of the wind blowing through the trees. “I….I….wanted to help or something. I couldn’t think of what to do!” Was all that Halas managed to eek out.

Faendal took a deep breath. “You do what is necessary to end it. I told you to finish her and I should not have said that much! You should know when to end suffering.” Faendal was despondant and upset and a whole litany of emotions at this point.

“Yesterday you did the same thing!” Faendal said throwing his hands up in the air. Halas was quiet but with his head down he again felt sick and turned away. “Go ahead and throw up. I know you need to!”

Halas did exactly that and the yummy breakfast was now wasted onto the tundra of Whiterun Plain. Halas was sobbing now and felt ridiculous. Not only had a beautiful girl died this day right in front of him he also had to endure the wrath of his master.

Faendal cupped his forehead and rubbed his temples, “When you are finished I want you to strip her body of any salvageable items including armor and meet me back by the watchtower.” Halas nodded and hoped his master had seen the nodding from behind because he couldn’t face his master now. Faendal was just as upset because he had yelled at his apprentice but he felt it was necessary.

Halas took to the task of stripping the bandit of all items and was feeling anger boil up in him. He felt ridiculous for not doing what he was supposed to. And now the one person in his life that cared for him as much as anyone he could remember just finished yelling at him. He wanted to impress and please Faendal more than anything but he just kept freezing everytime he had to finish off an opponent. Halas realized that once the threat of his own death was passed he no longer wanted to fight, much less kill someone.

The pair rode in silence for some distance until they passed Whiterun. They then turned up the road to Riverwood and finally Faendal broke the silence. “Do you know why I got so mad back there Halas?”

The horses clopped along quietly. Rugut and Suriel knew that humans were having an important conversation and they plodded along toward Riverwood, the two ranger horses looking at each other occasionally. Halas sighed, “I am a coward and not meant for this I guess. You should just take me back to Riften and drop me off at the jail, “ Halas said dramatically. Faendal chuckled but admittedly did not expect that response. “Nonsense. You are a good apprentice. The problem is that you know how to win a fight but you don’t know how to finish it. When the rush of battle is over your humanity sneaks back in and takes over.”

“So because I care that makes me weak I guess.” Halas said with resignation. Faendal laughed a little, “No not at all in fact it is your strength.” Faendal sighed as he collected his thoughts. “Look you have a great deal of empathy and that is important. But you have to know how to channel that empathy to give a merciful end to your opponent.”

Halas seemed to understand, but wondered if he would be able to do what his master asked. He had to. If he couldn’t get over this hurdle then he might not be allowed to be considered a candidate to be a ranger. He told himself and Faendal that next time he would put an end to his opponents life. “You will do fine Halas,” Faendal said confidently. Deep down Faendal knew that if his apprentice could not shake this then he could be disqualified for continuation of his apprenticeship. Fortunately only Faendal knew of his apprentice’s weakness

They had an uneventful rest of the morning and early afternoon. Their tour took them through riverwood where they turned left through the village and took the rarely used gate that led up a mountain pass toward Helgen. The views were breathtaking and the only sounds were the distant screeches of hawks and the wind.

book1-271_zps3b5f04d8.jpg

Occasionally a hare or fox would go bounding away but the pair would only stop if they could get a significant amount of meat from a hunt.

Finally they came to a crossroad that would lead toward Helgen, Lake Ilinata and then back to Riverwood. Here the stopped and briefly talked to a hunter that reported nothing out of the ordinary.

book1-272_zpscf72e5e0.jpg

They then followed the road back down the road toward the White River. Here Halas passed the places of what seemed like a distant memory. It was here that Halas had followed along behind Faendal on his horse and where he first met the people of Riverwood. He found a few new slaughterfish nests and some of the flowers had regrown since the last time he had come through. He took a few moments to gather these to practice his alchemy at some later time.

They passed back through Riverwood and briefly chatted with Alvor who invited them in for lunch. After enjoying a wonderful spread of food the pair headed back out again and followed the White River downstream passed White Run. Here they would follow the river to the mountains and then turn north where they hoped to camp somewhere on the plain.
book1-273_zps5381813c.jpg

Here they stopped short near a small island. Faendal indicated to Halas to get down quietly and to sneak up toward the island for a better view. Halas saw what Faendal had seen a moment ago. A big male sabercat was sleeping on the small island.

Halas pulled out an arrow and poisoned it with the strongest toxin he had. He did not want to paralyze the beast as he might fall in the water and be swept away.
Halas lined up his shot as he had many times. The big cat stirred and stretched and began to look around. Halas did his best to anticipate where the animal would go. He took a breath and calmed his heart. He released a perfect shot that sailed toward its target. Unfortunately his target walked away from where the arrow was heading.

book1-274_zps4af808c0.jpg

“Damn!” whispered Halas loudly. He toyed with the idea of getting out another arrow but instead realized that due to the terrain the cat would have to zig zag its way to their location. That is exactly what it did. With ferocious speed it ran around some large boulders and Faendal had his own daggers ready. “Here it comes!” exclaimed Faendal.

book1-275_zps86eaeb54.jpg

Halas was planning on sliding to one side and giving the cat a glancing blow to get some poison into its veins. However due to the rocks on the ground and the slope of the hill he struggled to move as fast as he needed. The sabercat however was moving at full speed and had the hill at his back. It was like trying to hit lightning flying at you. Halas could not get out of the way fast enough and the beast managed to punch and scratch Halas in the chest with one of its massive claws. Both cat and apprentice went rolling down the hill and Faendal ran down the hill to catch up to the battle.

book1-276_zpsfb929884.jpg

The contents of Halas backpack went flying as he fell down the hillside toward the water. He had extended his arms so that his axes were over his head as he rolled. The large spikes on the back of the axes Halas employed to stop his fall. Digging the spikes into the earth it stopped his slide and he was able to get back on his feet. The big cat had done something similar with its claws and was now bounding back up the hill. Now the advantage was with Halas and he pressed it.

book1-277_zps69a623a1.jpg

The cat leapt again but this time the cat was jumping up a hill and Halas could more easily adjust. He sliced the paw of the beast with the axe blade as it lashed out at the apprenticed. It howled in pain and as halas ran down the hill he managed to get a huge gash into the side of the beast with a fearsome swing of the blade. The poison was having an effect and the beast was sluggish. It ambled toward Halas but fell down breathing heavy. Halas walked up and spun the axe blade so that the spike on the axe was pointing down. In a heavy move he drove the spike into the skull of the beast and after twitching for a few seconds the beast was silent.

book1-278_zps45f1d0d3.jpg

Halas breathed heavily and realized his chest hurt. He put his hand to his chest and felt something squishy. He realized he was bleeding and sat down. Faendal inspected the wound and took off his chest armor. Faendal whistled. “Am I that attractive shirtless?” Halas managed to say only to laugh and make his chest hurt more. He grimaced as Faendal laid his apprentice on the grass and began to look at the wound. “Its superficial but you will have some scars for sure. “ He retrieved a cure disease potion and made halas drink the bitter concoction made of mudcrab chitin and hawks beak. It was milky white but tasted nothing like milk.

Numbing the wound with a mixture of imp stool and swamp fungal pod Faendal set to suturing a few of the spots that needed it. Four gashes went across his chest from upper right shoulder to his left chest. After about twenty minutes Halas was able to ride and the two set out to find camp. Halas felt surprisingly good but knew that might change when the numbing potion wore off. In the back of his mind he was worried about infection. If he didn’t spike a fever in a few hours then he knew he would be ok. But still it worried him. He nearly died from a leg wound and feared a repeat if rot set in. He also knew that it would take days just to recover from that and it would mean missing the Ranger Council. That of course would mean the end of his apprenticeship. It was a reality that neither Faendal nor Halas talked about as they made their way toward camp of the second night of their perimeter survey.

Baelor

Chirugeon - Do you use that Fishing in Skyrim mod? If so, can you tell me how to use it? I crafted a crude fishing pole, and every time I try to cast it, even when basically standing on top of fish, it says 'There are no fish close enough for your pole to reach.'

Any ideas?

Chirurgeon

you have to be on a bank and it tends to have a short range....maybe that is an issue. Also make sure you fish where you see dragon flies above the water because those are placed fishing nodes in the game. If you see just salmon it doesnt work. Hope this helps

Chirurgeon

Gotta say, great chapter! I've finally gotten around to reading it and it's provided inspiration to finish Chapter 5 in my own series :)
That is really good to hear. I am working on my next chapter today. Finally got a day to myself :)

Chirurgeon

Chapter 24
The pair made their way across the plain to the east of Whiterun and saw very little in the way of deer or elk. “Hunters have already cleared out these plains, “ Faendal remarked as Rugot snorted as if in agreement. Halas reached down and patted Suriel’s neck, “Does that mean the deer are going to be gone soon for the season?” Faendal was quiet and then let out a little laugh, “No it just means the hunters have gone after the easy pickings. There are plenty of deer in some of the colder, desolate and um dangerous parts of Skyrim”.

book1-279_zpsdcfc1577.jpg

Halas nodded in agreement and rubbed his chest slightly. He seemed to feel ok although the soreness was beginning to creep in. They turned to the east and climbed a short hill where some patches of snow still existed from winter.

Here they found a good spot for camp and began the routine of setting up camp. Halas had become familiar with how to set up the tent and then inspecting it and touching up the seams or other places with troll fat to make sure that there were not any leaks. He had to find the general direction of the wind and angle the tent so that the wind did not blow into the entrance. Retrieving starter logs from Suriel he began to build a small teepee like structure and then placed a series of stones around where the fire would be. “You can always find plenty of stones for a fire ring but never count on wood being around, “ Halas had remembered Markus saying.

And with the mention of Markus Halas realized that the ranger council was only a few days away. Faendal had reminded him, and creating anxiety in the process, that within a few days all the rangers from the holds would be descending to the meeting place in Whiterun hold. It was up to that ranger to make sure that everything was in order. It was like planning a party and Halas knew that he would be busy over the next few days chopping wood, getting supplies, and doing whatever else Faendal required.

Halas put the thought out of his mind and focused on making a fire. There is a ubiquitous moss that covers the ground of Skyrim and when it was dried it was quite flammable. In fact if you rubbed some trollfat on it that helped make it more so. Reaching into a waterproof pouch Halas pulled out some of the moss and with his flint began to send showers of sparks onto the moss which was in the middle of the small pieces of wood. It began to smoke and during this process it was tempting to blow but that would only mess it up. It was a fine line between smoldering and fire that Halas looked for. Finally he had it and the moss erupted into flame, the tongues seemingly alive and swaying in the wind. They caught hold of the smaller wood and soon a small jet of flame was shooting skyward. Now bigger split pieces were laid to create another layer to the teepee. It was important to allow enough airspace between the layers for airflow but not too much as to hinder the transfer of flames from the small teepee of kindling in the center of the fire to the larger outer teepee. The fire could go out with a big gust of wind or a rainstorm but either was unlikely.
Halas went to the surrounding trees and began to systematically hack off the lower branches with his axe. Each one being drug back to the fire pit. Dead wood is the best but sometimes there wasn’t enough. Certain trees that had green wood would smoke terribly so and any food that was cooked would taste like the smoke. Halas, armed with his axe, scoured the hillside for large dead branches that he could hack up into foot long pieces that were more manageable. It took the better part of an hour but soon he had enough wood to last for several hours. He would have to do another trip for more branches in order to assure enough wood to last the night.

book1-280_zps5f4f37b5.jpg

He realized his chest was sore but manageable and felt a little warm but that always happened when he chopped wood. Faendal and his apprentice ate some dinner and then enjoyed some coffee as the light began to fade to the west. Here they took to tracking down a pair of wolves where Halas missed one of his shots but managed to still kill both animals from a distance. Halas was learning that killing from a distance was much preferred to risk an attack and catch a disease like rockjoint. They skinned the beasts and then making sure the area was secure returned to camp.

Here Halas had about an hour of good light left and proceeded to treat the hides with salt and stretch them on the tanning rack while he scraped off the fat and added salt. Later they would be dried and soaked and dried again back at the cabin and then the skins would be ready for sale to a vendor. It took several weeks to get skins to a point where vendors would buy them.

book1-281_zps84a6f414.jpg

Halas took first watch and watched as the great nebula grew into being in the fading light. The temperature dropped but the wind did not abate. It was on nights like this where the ranger’s cloak became not only an item to help camouflage but also to keep warm. He had taken a few stones from the fire and brought them to the trees away from the light of the fire. However in this spot with so much snow still on the ground in the distance, the wind seemed to bite deeper. After three hours he was quite cold and made his way back to the coals of the fire. He did not need awaken Faendal as the sound of Halas adding new wood to the fire and stoking it roused him out of sleep.

book1-283_zps0f645a35.jpg

After a brief conversation and making sure the fire would be good for a few more hours Halas turned into his bed. He was exhausted but had trouble sleeping. He could not help but think about the trials coming up and whether or not the council would approve him for training.
He finally sat up and stared into the flames for a while until fatigue overtook him. He finally went back to sleep and seemingly instantly his master woke him up again for another three hours of watch.

book1-284_zps159bc80a.jpg

By the morning Halas had not felt he had slept at all. Worse yet dark clouds rolled in and began to pelt the pair with cold rain. Now he would be cold all day as this rain looked to be here for quite sometime. “Just think Halas in a few hours we will be back at the cabin where it will be warm and dry!” Faendal had said trying to reassure his apprentice. Halas simply nodded and went about the rather miserable task of packing up camp in a steady rain. He knew that when he arrived back at the cabin he would have to set up the tents so that they would dry. He figured he could catch up on some reading or do some potion crafting at least. But doing more chores at the cabin after three days of sleep deprivation was not something he was looking forward to.

book1-285_zpsaee51fe0.jpg

The pair descended the hill and made their way to the road that ran past Whiterun. They would not be on it long and would cut between Whiterun Watch tower and the town itself in a rather straight line to the cabin. The area behind the massive keep of Dragonreach was rarely patrolled and Faendal wanted to swing by.
After only an hour in the saddle Halas was truly at the bottom of his misery. His chest ached, he was exhausted, and now soaking wet and cold. The cloak and armor kept him warm to an extent but there were always ways for the water to find its way into armor. He felt heavy and exhausted from the extra weight of the water slowly soaking into his attire. “It is not a good day to be a ranger, “ he said under his breath.

Suddenly Faendal spurred Rugot and they took off toward the watchtower. Halas, for the first time, heard the sounds of fighting. Yelling and the sounds of steel could be heard. Suddenly Halas forgot all about his misery and that unconscious switch clicked on. He caught up to Faendal who was in the process of dismounting and so did Halas.

book1-287_zpsd1962b11.jpg

There were bandits attacking the tower. The three guards were embroiled in a fight for control of the tower with the bandits. Faendal saw an archer and prepared to go at him. Faendal yelled “Jarl’s Ranger drop your weapons” but the men kept fighting. Later Halas would learn that the main purpose of that loud warning was as much to the guards to keep them from turning on a ranger in the heat of a battle.

A Khajiit was preparing to stab one of the guards in the back as he danced with a female with a giant orc greatsword. He was lightly armored and Halas was closest. He ran up to the Khajiit bandit and the Khajiit, seeing that his opportunity to stab the guard in the back had vanished turned his attention to Halas.

book1-286_zps0594f19d.jpg

Halas noticed instantly that the Khajiit was hiding behind the shield and it only took a moment for the apprentice to swing his axe in such a way as to pull the shield across his body. He was confident that the Khajiit would not try to counter attack as it looked as if he had forgotten he wielded a sword. Bandits were notoriously bad fighters but they did possess a desire to live so Halas had to exploit the weakness quickly before the bandit might attack in pure desperation to live. The Khajiit had a true look of fear as Halas’s axe caught his shield and drew it across his body, exposing his left side. Halas landed the other axe on the upper arm opening up a monstrous gash through the exposed flesh that cut to the bone.

book1-288_zpsa70b15c8.jpg

Having suffered a cut on his sword arm from one of the guards likely, now the bandit was in dire straits. His shield arm was worthless and his shield hung lower than it should. He looked around for an escape route and dropped his sword and was trying to switch the shield to the right arm and make a run for it. Halas did not want that to happen and hooked the shield with the point of his left axe and simultaneously came down onto the neck and shoulder region with the right axe. It was a deathblow. With no sword to parry the attack the axe blade dug deep. Between the poison and the sudden eruption of blood the khajiit toppled over in a gasp and lay unmoving on the ground.

book1-289_zpsab0ddf1e.jpg

Halas spun around instinctually and saw that the battle had gone the same way for the other two bandits. Faendal had skewered one with his bow and the other died under a rain of sword blows from two guards at once.

Halas felt something odd on his shoulder and realized an arrow had gone right through where his cloak and armor met. It had become entangled in the cloak and was hanging. Faendal noticed the surprise look on Halas’s face. “I tried to get him before he got the shot off but he still managed the shot.” Halas didn’t know what to say but was glad the bandit missed. Being wounded twice in as many days would not be a good career move.

After inspecting everything and everyone it was determined that everyone was ok. One of the guards walked up to Faendal and Halas and thanked both of them. “It was good thing you guys got here when you did. Those bandits could have gotten lucky surprising us like that.” The guard seemed genuinely appreciative and Faendal frowned as he looked at the bandits.

“Why would these bandits simply attack a guard post like this?” Faendal asked as the raindrops pattered on the cold stone of the tower.
“Aye, “ one of the guards said. “Commander Maro was planning on sending in some men to clear out a possible poacher den.” Faendal shook his head. He knew that poaching of animals on the plains of Whiterun was pretty much accepted as the Jarl did not want his people to not get all the food they needed. Technically every plant and animal belonged to the Jarl but this was never an enforced rule unless someone took advantage of it.

“This rabble must have gotten wind of the raid and decided to do a surprise attack. Should have known better than to try that!” The guard seemed proud and smiled broadly.
book1-290_zps362ce294.jpg

Faendal wasn’t convinced and decided to inspect the bodies. On all three bodies he found items that could only lead to poaching of something much greater than that of deer. He tossed one of the guards the end of a white horn. “That is mammoth tusk and the others had dried mammoth meat on them.” Faendal stood up and wiped his hands. He looked at the ground and saw what seemed to be invisible clues to most became a brilliant trail to Faendal. He looked at the hill and saw the footprints disappear in the general direction of it. “Well Halas they came from over there and I would assume their little camp is beyond that hill.” Halas nodded and saw the same footprints but not many of the other subtle clues that his master saw.

The guards looked at each other and shrugged. They were not trackers and they did not look for such things. But they had no reason to question the ranger. “Were going to go have a look and I want you to stay alert. Be ready as we might bring more back here if things get dicey.” Halas nodded along with the men but internally Halas was nervous. Faendal had every intention of finding these poachers. Halas wasn’t sure what the urgency was but at least he had forgotten he was wet, sore, and cold.

Faendal allowed Halas to track the footprints and it was pretty easy. Despite the rain, men that are running leave deep footprints that take a considerable time to melt away. It would take a heavy rain for a day to wash away some of the prints.

Finally they came to a crest of a hill and Halas saw an amazing sight. One of the massive mammoths was dead on its side and there were two poachers standing near it. They seemed a bit anxious as they probably realized that their friends had not come back from their pre-emptive strike on the guard tower. Faendal could tell and backed away from view and instructed Halas to get ready. “Are we going to ask for their surrender?” Halas asked quietly. Faendal shook his head. “ We have more than enough evidence to prove that this is the camp that launched an attack on the Jarl.” Halas looked puzzled. “But the Jarl is in the Palace?” Halas kept his confused look probably more for emphasis. Faendal smiled a bit, “an attack on the Jarl’s men is the same as an attack on the Jarl.”

book1-291_zpse17da733.jpg

Faendal motioned for Halas to take out the more lightly armored poacher that was closest. Faendal would focus on the one in the rear. Halas positioned himself near some rocks and dosed an arrow. The poison would not be as effective with the rain as it would undoubtedly strike some raindrops on the way making the poison less than effective. This fight, he realized, might come to blows. He steeled himself mentally and poised himself for the shot.

book1-292_zps8b02916c.jpg

He balanced his weight while in the scout position and drew the bow back all the way so that his fingers were at the corner of his mouth. He managed to calm his heart and breathing and looked at the wind. It seemed to abate as the hill descended into a bowl. It would be a above average shot but Halas was confident. When he felt the moment was right and having adjusted for the wind he realeased his shot. He could not hear the impact but saw the poacher stagger backward. He could not tell where he hit the man and simultaneously the second poacher whirled around and fell down. Although both of them got up they were clearly wounded and dazed by the event. Using the mammoth as a shield they unsheathed their weapons and began to move up the boulders looking for their attacker. Faendal was scampering down the rocks to take out the armored poacher. Halas turned his attention to the bandit that was haunting him.

The poacher had a bow and had it drawn. He moved into the open and was about 10 meters away. Halas saw the poacher release a shot and he whirled around a rock and came out the other side as the arrow passed right where he was standing. He was glad that he predicted accurately where the arrow was going. However he was far from out of danger.

book1-293_zps94a736dd.jpg

The poacher seemed frustrated that he had missed his shot and as Halas moved at full speed toward the Poacher he was aware that the ground was muddy and he would be challenged to strafe out of the way of a second shot. Plus the distance was painfully close. The one thing working in Halas’s favor was that the Poacher had hesitated pulling a second arrow from his quiver. Halas thought that was enough time to make it to the poacher. It almost was.

book1-294_zps919319ed.jpg

The poacher released his shot while Halas was a few feet away. In a brazen move Halas turned his back and the arrow punched into his backpack. His left side was facing the poacher now and he swung his axe blade into the hamstring of the poacher. He tossed his bow and went to grab his dagger. Halas second axe blade whirled into the back of the knee and using his momentum lifted the man’s mangled leg skyward throwing the poacher off balance. He crashed on his back with a thud.

book1-295_zps6e27fb42.jpg

Halas had practiced a finishing move on a log where the two spikes on the end of the axe could be driven into the body of a defeated foe. At this point Halas did not even look at the bandit’s face. Subconsciously he knew it might make him hesitate. The man gave up on the dagger and instead put his arms out to block the deathblow that Halas was about to inflict. The weight and speed of two axes pounding downward was impossible to stop and the feeble attempt warranted no respite for the poacher. His right axe penetrated the chest cavity, the distinctive crunch of the sternum being shattered, and the left punched the man in the stomach.

Halas pried his axes out of the mans body and looked down at the damage. The right axe had penetrated the heart and the man was dead. He looked of terror still with his eyes wide open. This time Halas did not feel sick but began to assess the situation. Faendal had killed the other bandit with a second shot from his bow and witnessed Halas’s brave charge at the bandit. Faendal looked at his apprentice and nodded at him, “Good job today Halas. We need to get what we can off these poachers and head back to the guard tower.”

book1-296_zpsd452a946.jpg

Faendal was beaming inside as he had witnessed great courage by his apprentice. He would have done the same thing. Halas had the instinct of a ranger and he seemed to get over the hardest part of fighting: finishing off an opponent.

After stripping the bodies of any armor that leather could be acquired from, the pair informed the tower guards to alert the Jarl as to what happened. On the way back to the cabin, Faendal explained that there was a tenuous relationship between humans and giants. The giants prized their mammoths and an attack on them could be viewed as an act of war. Should the giants join forces with the various other giant camps around Whiterun Hold it could be quite miserable indeed.

book1-297_zps1ccc864d.jpg

Faendal was concerned about this but would have to leave it up to the Jarl to decide what to do. Sometimes the Jarl would pay a farmer to deliver a few cows to the giants as a type of retribution for the act of humans killing a mammoth. He hoped a solution could be found as a war with giants would not be welcome.
Faendal also knew that if the giants knew that the poachers had been killed then that might also give them pause.

Regardless the pair arrived back at the cabin and worked quickly to stable the horses and bring all their wet gear inside. Here they would lay the gear around the interior and keep a roaring fire going to help dry and heat the air inside the cabin. It would likely take most of a day to dry everything out and in that time Halas would be quite busy with various chores getting ready for the ranger council.

Halas knew that in two days’ time all the rangers would be meeting on Whiterun Plain, and Halas’s fate would be decided. He also knew the council would have a trial set up for him that he had to pass to continue his apprenticeship. His latest battle had given him renewed confidence but not knowing what he had to do made him nervous still.

He took his mind off things by combining some various ingredients to make potions and asking Faendal if they were important. He managed to discover a few new qualities of some of the ingredients he had gathered. He discovered that luna moth wing can be combined with blue mountain flower to make a potion that helped regenerate healing. He also discovered the same thing from some vampire dust that Faendal had given him. Swamp fungal pod could be a poison or a healing agent depending on if you could isolate the right compounds. It would take much more work to figure out how to do that. Satisfied he went over to the fire and rubbed his hands together in the emanating heat. It was nearly time for dinner.

book1-298_zps40119834.jpg

He got out of his wet clothes and opened some ale. For the first time in three days he could relax and enjoy the warmth of a fire, without having to worry about various things. He read a book called A Gentleman’s Guide to Whiterun as Faendal prepared a dinner and set about drying some meat they had caught. Halas had already laid out the tents and other wet gear to dry. He would have to make a trip to get some firewood later but it felt good to be near a warm fire. He had a chance to reflect on what he had done that day. As the ale coursed through his veins sleep began to call him. He got up and took his shirt off to inspect the wounds he had received the day before. They had scabbed over nicely and he was likely in the clear. “One more thing not to worry about, “ He muttered to himself.

book1-299_zps17a5398f.jpg

He ate dinner and felt even more sleepy as the warm food settled in his belly. He stretched and bid Faendal a good night and headed downstairs to the bed. Halas read the book a while longer but woke up with it on his chest. It was time to relinquish the fight against sleep. He blew the candles out by the bed and smiled as he felt the welcomed warmth of the bed and the protection of the cabin.

Baelor

You mentioned the Ranger's Apprentice series of books in your original post. Have you read them all? I read they are geared towards younger people (teenagers). Would young adults enjoy the books as well? They are supposedly really good.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts