OOC The Markarth Murders [Not Recruiting|Full Cast]

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, and welcome to our roleplaying section. Please take some time to read two of these useful resources below, if you're already a roleplaying expert, then there's no need to read the following beginner's guide, but be sure to read the rules.

Free Form Role Playing Guide for Beginners
    JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.

Specter of Death

Omnipresent Moderator
    Staff member
    "If you're cutting your coins across Skyrim, you'll want to point your blade towards Markarth."

An Elder Scrolls Role-play Collaboration
    by: @Specter of Death & @Hlíf 'Ulfr

The Markarth Murders
    [click here for the IC story]

markarth_market_by_htanjo-d7j2ezj.jpg

"There's no end of trouble in the City of Stone, and that means plenty of ways for you to earn your supper."

-~~8~~-

Markarth. Capital of the Reach. A city with a bloody and morbid history. The once great throne of the Reachman, the trophy of Ulfric Stormcloak's most infamous battle, and the seat of Silverblood power. Bodies are dotting the city with terrifying frequency, and it's been concluded that the Forsworn are responsible. The victims, however, are all mere vagrants--the homeless and impoverished. Unusual and unlikely targets for the vicious and relentless guerrilla warriors, and still nobody bats an eye. All except the Jarl Igmund, who's mind stresses over thoughts of Civil War and increasing pressure from Stormcloak sympathizers. With no time to worry about the issues, he's assigned his new court wizard: Raemont Lochaart; whose thoughts and actions seem to be avoiding the mission.

There are travellers, though few, whose suspicions rise day by day; body by body. Now, the Markarth Guard Captain and royal Housecarl's young squire finds himself neck deep in the investigations. With the help of his lower-class friends and unlikely travelling strangers, the sinister truth begins to unravel before him.

Who's to blame? Who's this strange new Breton wizard? Will the killings stop when all the homeless are taken care of?

-~~8~~-

Welcome friends of the Talos Restoration RP! Here with the help of Hlif, I've crafted a small and intimate story for us all to continue writing together. I and Hlif are going to be using new characters, however, the lot of you who've transferred over please feel free to use your characters from Talos Restoration. All I ask is that you re-post your Character Cards so we all have references to look at! Welcome, and let's get this show on the road!

Cast List (unfinished for now)
    @Specter of Death as Verros Cassian [CLICK FOR CC]
    @Hlíf 'Ulfr as Cerys [CLICK FOR CC]
    @TommyTequila as Bardun Baras [CLICK FOR CC]
    @Ellen Ripley as Rahd Sette [CLICK FOR CC]

Last edited:

Specter of Death

Omnipresent Moderator
    Staff member
    My Character Card for Verros will be up sometime late tonight, or tomorrow afternoon. Y'all can use my template if you are making new characters, otherwise post your lovely chars here! Once we get all the CC's posted here I'm gonna get the IC up and running so we can get this story going ASAP!

Welcome and I look forward to seeing your characters!

Last edited:

Hlíf 'Ulfr

Nothing but a lyre
    Staff member
    I will be posting a sneak based bosmer character within the next few days. Lets try for a diverse cast, class wise especially. I think we can manage that within a small group like this one. Looking forward to seeing what you all bring to the table.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Sounds perfect! Ill start workin on a CC. I vaguely remember a quest in markarth that seemed similar but i never played through it. Is that quest going to be referenced? Should i dust off the game and play through it real quick?
    Also thank you for putting this together Specter :)

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Specter of Death

Omnipresent Moderator
    Staff member
    There is a quest called "The Forsworn Conspiracy" which is about the Forsworn trying to take control of Markarth by secretly infiltrating the city. Their leader is locked in their Jail and stuff so he pays off a wealthy house who pays off guards and stuff. This is different however, cause this will be taking place after that quest. The point is that it's basically TOO obvious and easy to assume the Forsworn are behind it. So most your characters will probably be operating under the same assumption until our characters make contact with the lot of you and show you otherwise.

If you'd like to play through that quest, go for it. It's fun but has remotely nothing to do with this story--especially because in that quest it has no involvement with the Upper Class like the Jarl and stuff. This story will. If you want to play it, just walk into Mararth for the first time, and there will be a murdering right in front of you by a proclaimed Forsworn Agent. From there you'll get a note and boom, you have the quest as soon as your read the note given to you. That's another thing, these killings are all anonymous, nobody knows who did it, nobody has been caught in the act or anything like that. However the guards and stuff are still just about as dismissive.

Specter of Death

Omnipresent Moderator
    Staff member
    So far we have a Warrior/Squire/Knight character with mine. Hlif's got a sneaky sneak elf character. So that would leave a lot of room for a Healer, a Mage, maybe a Tanky-Brute/Barbarian, even an Alchemist or Bard would be cool. I'm just not going to allow 4 mages. Or 3 sneaking elves. We all need to try and be diverse.

Specter of Death

Omnipresent Moderator
    Staff member
    I should clarify a little something for y'all's characters. The murders aren't common knowledge or public knowledge outside of Markarth. It's homeless, impoverished vagrant people getting slaughtered. So most people don't really care about it, the guards ignore it, and those who do care about it really just blame the Forsworn and so nothing has gotten done. The new court wizard has written it off as Forsworn as well so has really only sent out more guard platoons to guard the outskirts of the city. So there isn't a super obvious call to action.

With that said, you need to give your character's realistic motivations to go to Markarth. Maybe they are a prisoner on the way to Cidna Mine, or a traveling scholar. Maybe somebody obsessed with Dwarven History and mechanics. A small handful of mercenaries are fine as well, let's just make it so if these mercs are already in Markarth--they have really only heard about the Forsworn Murdering people again. It won't be obvious to anybody until Verros searches for help, people who don't call him crazy or tell him to leave it alone before the forsworn kill him.

Hopefully that makes sense to y'all. If you have any other questions let me know!

I should clarify a little something for y'all's characters. The murders aren't common knowledge or public knowledge outside of Markarth. It's homeless, impoverished vagrant people getting slaughtered. So most people don't really care about it, the guards ignore it, and those who do care about it really just blame the Forsworn and so nothing has gotten done. The new court wizard has written it off as Forsworn as well so has really only sent out more guard platoons to guard the outskirts of the city. So there isn't a super obvious call to action.

With that said, you need to give your character's realistic motivations to go to Markarth. Maybe they are a prisoner on the way to Cidna Mine, or a traveling scholar. Maybe somebody obsessed with Dwarven History and mechanics. A small handful of mercenaries are fine as well, let's just make it so if these mercs are already in Markarth--they have really only heard about the Forsworn Murdering people again. It won't be obvious to anybody until Verros searches for help, people who don't call him crazy or tell him to leave it alone before the forsworn kill him.

Hopefully that makes sense to y'all. If you have any other questions let me know!

Oh thank god. That means my healer is out. So it means Rahd will be joining the party. With that I might tweak him a bit but for now it’s certainly Rahd.

Andre Marek

You can run, but you'll only die tired...
    Hey everyone! I haven't been around for a while but Hilf shot me a message a little while ago and asked if I was interested in writing again so here I am. This looks like an interesting story I must say. I'm kind of thinking of making a scholarly, adventurer type character. Maybe with a touch of magical abilities. I'll try and get a CC up soon too. Cheers!

Specter of Death

Omnipresent Moderator
    Staff member
    Unfortunately we aren't accepting any more open applications, as it says in the title. I've conversed with Hlif about this as well as of yesterday. I've made sure that all the people from the RP we migrated from have reserved positions for this, which would make our potential cast list rather large, and I'm not going to expand that. Too many people leads to dead threads. Not to mention it would be rather unfair for me to accept somebody not from the original cast list and say no to others. Thank you for your interest!

Noooow i remember, i did play through that. Got it lol. My character was also going to be a khajiit, although that is where the similarities between the two characters end. Is that alright?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Specter of Death

Omnipresent Moderator
    Staff member
    Awesome! So happy to hear that the 2 of y'all are working so hard on all this! I'm pretty busy this weekend, however I am hoping that my CC will be up and ready sometime today or tonight. If not, expect it sometime by the end of this weekend! Can't wait to read what you guys present to us! Be sure to include your requested dialogue color, and make note of the colors already reserved in the opening post here--in the cast list area.

Awesome! So happy to hear that the 2 of y'all are working so hard on all this! I'm pretty busy this weekend, however I am hoping that my CC will be up and ready sometime today or tonight. If not, expect it sometime by the end of this weekend! Can't wait to read what you guys present to us! Be sure to include your requested dialogue color, and make note of the colors already reserved in the opening post here--in the cast list area.

I won’t be using color so mine shall be black. :)

Specter of Death

Omnipresent Moderator
    Staff member
    Are you on mobile? Cause if so that’s alright, tapatalk is the worst for this site at times. Anyway, the color is mainly for the desktop users (i.e Hlif and I and idk who else so far), because it’s sometimes difficult to differentiate different Character Dialogue in an RP. That’s why I usually require it. That way when you are conversing with another writer’s char, you don’t have to go all out trying to reiterate everything they said in your post. It also generally adds some personality to the characters too. :)

I’ll tell you what, you pick a color, and I’ll go in and recolor the text for you when you post since you can’t on mobile. That work for you? So far Green and Goldish/Orange has been taken.

Are you on mobile? Cause if so that’s alright, tapatalk is the worst for this site at times. Anyway, the color is mainly for the desktop users (i.e Hlif and I and idk who else so far), because it’s sometimes difficult to differentiate different Character Dialogue in an RP. That’s why I usually require it. That way when you are conversing with another writer’s char, you don’t have to go all out trying to reiterate everything they said in your post. It also generally adds some personality to the characters too. :)

I’ll tell you what, you pick a color, and I’ll go in and recolor the text for you when you post since you can’t on mobile. That work for you? So far Green and Goldish/Orange has been taken.

Yeah I’m totally on a mobile plus it just adds so much time in my opinion. Perhaps I’m a bit old fashion. I understand though , hlif has always used it. So don’t worry about coloring my text, I’m chill. ;) thank you though

upload_2016-11-22_18-3-27-jpeg.50111

Rahd Sette
    "Is that weapon for killing?"

Race: Khajiit

Sexuality: Bisexual

Religion: He worships Mara.

Residence: Winterhold

APPEARANCE:

Rahd has three distinct fur shades. While most of his body is covered in grey fur he bares black stripes on most of his body while the tips of his ear. The middle portion of his chest and underside of his jaw, cheeks, and eyebrows contain patches of white fur. Scars mark the top of his muzzle and his hands contain many scars. Rahd wears a black robe that covers his scaled armor.

Height: 5'7

Eye color: Light brown

Fur color: Grey, black stripes, white patches

Voice: Rahds voice is smooth and cultivated.

PERSONALITY:

Rahd does not like being the center of attention and often travels alone. He feels at ease being alone although he enjoys sharing his leisure activity with others that also enjoy similar activities. Rahd is confident in his skills with battles and an anvil and hammer. He worships Mara and believes in protecting and honoring one's family. Rahd has a big heart and a lot of patience and following the ways of an honorable warrior.

Dislikes: Abuse towards children, being the center of attention, thieves

COMBAT:

Rahd is ambidextrous and wields two scimitars with an elegant design in the hilt where rubies are embedded. The scaled armor is in a two-tone shade both of light silver and an ebony color.

Class: Warrior

Major skills:

One-handed

Smithing

Light armor

Minor skills:

Sneak

Lockpick

Weapons: Two upgraded scimitars

Armor: Rahd created his own set of scaled which took him many months to create. He does not wear a helm and wears a black robe over his armor.

HISTORY:

Rahd knows very little about his parents as they passed away while he was still an infant. Rahd does know that his parents were traders and often traveled with their caravan of goods to other towns and villages. It was during one of these journeys that his parents were attacked and fled leaving behind their belongings to try to protect their cub. It was during their escape that his parents wondered out too far and did not survive the winter conditions of Skyrim and both of their bodies were discovered holding their cub between them. A local Breton from Riften discovered the bodies and the cub that survived. The Breton attempted to drop off the cub at the local orphanage when he discovered the orphanage was full. The man then decided his family could care for the cub until vacancy at the orphanage occurred.

The Sette family named him and treated Rahd as one of their children. During the first few years of his life values like respect, tolerance, and morals were instilled in him. It was around the age of five the family could no longer take care of him and Matron of the orphanage was happy to take him into her care. Rahd never got along with the matron of the orphanage and struggled with his behavior. Rahd was still allowed to visit the Sette family and he often found himself their playing amongst his siblings. Rahd learned the culture, speech, and traditions of the Breton lifestyle. Due to this Rahd does not speak like most traditional khajiits and he regards education highly along with the worship of Mara.

Rahds happiest memories are revolved around his family. Rahd had always been teased or bullied amongst the other children at the orphanage. The Matron also disliked him especially since he was a khajiit and often emotionally abused him. Regardless of his treatment Rahd made sure to treat others with kindness and he helped to take care and look after the smaller children at the orphanage. Rahd although small for his age learned his was quick and nimble and went through a phase of stealing food for the children. Later the Sette family took him to the Temple of Mara where they taught him that stealing was wrong and there are other choices and methods to help people. Rahd received his own amulet of Mara that day. The amulet he holds dear and always carries the item but does not wear it for fear of losing the keepsake.

In his teenage years, Rahd became more curious about the world around them and began to explore other cities. Once he left Riften he discovered the world was cruel and dangerous and regardless of where he went he would always feel like an outsider. Other khajiit found him odd and people often thought he was dangerous or a thief, judging him based on his race. Rahd discovered that he enjoyed laborious work like working the wood mills or picking crops for local farms. Rahd made sure to always save money he earned for when he returned to Riften he could donate it to the orphanage. Rahd one day accepted the odd end job of working in a mine and this is where he discovered his first passion.

Upon exploring and mining caves Rahd sought out to gain more knowledge and often read books about geology and smithing. It wasn’t long after that the kindness of the local blacksmith began to teach Rahd how to smelt iron and work with ore and ingots. Rahd soon became skilled enough to craft armor and weapons for the shop to earn his keep. When Rahd found the spare time he would travel to different parts of Skyrim in search of more rare ores along with gems. After a few years of working at the shop, he saved enough money to begin training using the weapons he often crafted.

Rahd was naturally gifted with the ability to wield one-handed weapons but his favorite was a sword. With the ability to understand how weapons were used and held he focused on making the best weapons he could. Rahd finds blacksmithing relaxing and takes his time with the work he is given. Rahd enjoys his adventures and he has one person in all of Skyrim that he would consider his good friend. She was also an orphan in Riften and the only person he remains in contact with. This is also the reason he lives in Winterhold and the two have traveled through many dangerous places.

"Live soberly and peacefully. Honor your parents, and preserve the peace and security of home and family."

– Ten Commands: Nine Divines

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts