• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

ShapelessHorr0r

1. When you are trekking through the wilderness, trying to get to (blank) and Lydia gets stuck on a pebble, attacks giants, etc. and you can't find her. Wait 1 hour or fast travel to a near location. All following NPCs teleport to you (including horses, dogs, and conjured crap) when you fast travel unless the are waiting somewhere.

2. When Lydia is blocking the doorway, just sprint into her and she will stagger back.

3. If you wait when Lydia is in the yield position, she will be stuck in that position. You can fix that by entering a door, giving her a healing potion, or entering another area.

4. Lydia can carry an infinite amount of crap if you use the talking option- I need you to do something.

If you have any other problems with Lydia, post it below and I will get to it.

Adam Warlock

My Lydia is now in the Blades but will still follow me if I ask.
On Xbox , so I don`t know what level she`s locked at but I met her level 10 and earned her as housecarl level 42.
Please tell me how I can safely use the Wabbajack to get her to level 50 cap since I`m past that level now.
Thanks

Rakmon

Just Wabbajack her until she urns into a Sweetroll or something similar, then hit her so she turns back into her Lydia form.

Vinz

My Lydia is now in the Blades but will still follow me if I ask.
On Xbox , so I don`t know what level she`s locked at but I met her level 10 and earned her as housecarl level 42.
Please tell me how I can safely use the Wabbajack to get her to level 50 cap since I`m past that level now.
Thanks

• Take your follower out for a walk.
  • Dismiss them.
  • Save (as Wabbajack is dangerous)
  • Wabbajack them till they turn into something like a dremora or a chicken or anything else that I may be unaware of. Transformation into a sweetroll is as good as death I guess.
  • They should change back pretty soon. If they don't punch them to change them back. This will make them respawn at your level or their level cap.
If they die at any stage then reload.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Just Wabbajack her until she urns into a Sweetroll...
Or not. If you do that she'll be dead. Only polymorphs into other creatures are temporary which is why you should always save your game first.

Take Lydia to an isolated place so you wont get a bounty for using the Wabbajack on her. Dismiss her and then use the Wabbjack on her until it polymorphs her into another creature. Punch her to break the polymorph effect and it will update her stats to match her level. (Technically speaking, followers level with you. If you use the console command getlevel you'll see their level matches yours or is at their cap. Their stats don't update as they level though, so from a practical point of view they aren't leveling.)

Ironclad

I have never managed to get enough speed up to get her out of a door way from a smaller room, ever. I often have to creep into a far corner, occasionally Shout her away.

Dagmar

When Lydia is blocking the doorway, just sprint into her and she will stagger back.
This is unnecessary. Unless they are stuck in physics, all non-hostile NPCs will move if you simply stand as close as possible to them. Lydia will often groan when she does this (she doesn't like you violating her personal space).

M'aiqaelF

Male, 32 years old, Denver area, CO
lydia sucks....it's best to just not use her :p

Dagmar

lydia sucks....it's best to just not use her :p
Yes, because having a follower with the best melee combat skills in the game sucks. :rolleyes:

These solutions are applicable to all followers. They all present the same issues. The OP is just using Lydia as an example or because he's unaware these are issues across the board for all followers.

M'aiqaelF

nonsense, Mjoll the Lioness is a beast and could easily take Lydia's disapproving ass

Dagmar

nonsense, Mjoll the Lioness is a beast and could easily take Lydia's disapproving ass
Aside from this juvenille statement being banal and incorrect, what matters is who is more efficient in combat as your follower, and Lydia has more health and stamina and more primary combat skills than Mjoll. There's pointless speculation and then there's cold hard numbers regarding follower stats, and all of the Housecarls are objectively better melee combatants than any other followers in the game, including Mjoll.

standalone

M'aiqaelF

Mjoll is still the better follower :p

Morgan

There's pointless speculation and then there's cold hard numbers regarding follower stats, and all of the Housecarls are objectively better melee combatants than any other followers in the game, including Mjoll.

You are absolutely right that they are objectively better combatants. That has nothing whatsoever to do with who's the better follower. We build characterizations for the NPCs based on limited information available about them, and all of the information points to Lydia being sullen, petulant, and obviously resentful about being assigned to the Dragonborn as a housecarl. This is not the kind of person any of my PCs wants to spend months on the road with, traveling the length and breadth of Tamriel listening to her whine about every little thing. Mjoll and many others are cheerful, friendly, and seem genuinely excited about adventuring with the Dragonborn. It's this attitude that makes them superior followers and travel companions.

M'aiqaelF

much better reasoning morgan!

Dagmar

You are absolutely right that they are objectively better combatants. That has nothing whatsoever to do with who's the better follower.
Which is irrelevant to the premise that they are the best melee combatants.
That has nothing whatsoever to do with who's the better follower.
Like most hyperbole this is an absurd statement. It's one thing to say that combat effectiveness is not the most relevant aspect in assessing the worth of a follower (which is debatable), it's quite another to say that it simply doesn't matter at all.
...and all of the information points to Lydia being sullen, petulant, and obviously resentful about being assigned to the Dragonborn as a housecarl.....
The only information that points to Lydia being sullen is her default dialogue for trading items which has a tone of sarcasm in it. That's not an objective basis to draw that conclusion either because sarcasm can be attributed to various personality traits. In addition many of the followers make sarcastic comments. They're just not tied to a dialogue option that players use as frequently as the trade dialogue for followers so it's not noticed or (illogically) attributed as the sole means of defining an NPC's entire personality. If you never traded an item with Lydia you wouldn't have any indicators whatsoever to draw the hasty and weakly supported conclusion that you and so many other players make about her attitude. It's a rather shallow analysis regardless of how popular it is. If you listen to the tone of the entirety of all her dialogues and comments instead of tunnel visioning on one line of dialogue they indicate nothing of the sort and some reflect sincere devotion.

XbSuper

I kill Lydia ASAP, as soon as I become thane, I take her to breezehome, and slaughter her. I just find her to be the most annoying, and useless, of all the housecarls, and since they all have the same stats, bye bye Lydia :p

Morgan

Like most hyperbole this is an absurd statement. It's one thing to say that combat effectiveness is not the most relevant aspect in assessing the worth of a follower (which is debatable), it's quite another to say that it simply doesn't matter at all.

I have never in a hundred million years been accused of such hyperbole! :D

Really though, I don't like my followers to engage in combat. I play sneaky, with a lot of tactical manipulation, and they don't mesh well with that style. Also, when they kill something, that's experience I don't get. I prefer them to stay well clear until the killing is done. They're mainly there to pick locks and carry stuff. In your screencap, you have Lydia standing over an impressive pile of guards' bodies. If I wanted to kill that many guards, I would prefer to sneak, ready a dagger, figure out sightlines, hiding spots, wait until just the right moment, then slit the first's throat. Wait til things calm down, slit the second, then third, etc. It might take me half an hour or more to get them all, but it would be far more fun for me than watching someone else just cut them apart with a sword, however effectively they may do so. For me, it's not at all hyperbolic that combat ability is completely unimportant. I will accept recrimination for failing to add that "for me" in my earlier posts, but I often assume that is taken as read, given the nature of the game, and I tend to read it into others' statements as well. So when I see someone say, for example, "Mjoll is the best follower" I silently add "for me" to the statement, and it's not possible to argue against that, because I don't know what this person values in a companion, or how they play, or what RP they've assigned to their character or potential followers, or anything else. It's entirely a matter of taste, and "in matters of taste there is no discussion."

You've made it clear that you really like Lydia and have a particular interpretation of her character. Your interpretation is obviously completely valid, but I disagree that it is, or even can be, the only correct interpretation of Lydia's character. There's nothing objective about it at all. The RP belongs to each of us, and we all can imagine in any kind of personality we want. I can insert a personality completely and totally unsubstantiated by anything in the game and just say she's dissimulating to hide her true motives, and that's as valid as any other interpretation. I, and I suppose many others, have locked in on the line of Lydia's dialogue you mentioned. It's the one we hear the most often, so why not? I can figure that her other lines are more measured because she has a strong sense of duty and obligation, and masks her displeasure with her current assigment most of the time. But it occasionally slips out in things she says most frequently and spontaneously. It's an interpretation of her character that I find amusing and that I have a lot of fun with. And since it's a game, whichever way I play it that is the most fun is the "right" way. The most fun for me, that is.

Metas

Redguard Battlemage
my problem with lydia is simply this.... shes dead

i miss her terribly

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
The reason why Lydia must die is simple. She's ALWAYS in my bedroom. It's not comforting to know that while you sleep some creepy chick is watching you, eating her bread of eternity. It gets even more uncomfortable when I'm married. Breezehome just isn't big enough for all these hormones...

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts