The Life of an Assassin in Skyrim (Character Build)

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Panthera

Don Gato
Oh, don't worry about it, every time they make a game they make a new system of playing the only advantage we have is that we are more familiar with the elder skrolls lore. So feel free to ask.

Teritus

Giving it to you straight since 1869
You all certainly seem very knowledgeable. I'll be sure to ask then. Thanks!

Agincourt

'Cry God for Harry, England and Saint George!'
Anyone else play this character with the sole intent of using your dagger, only to discover the bow is insane damage once you get past level 70 archery?

I did !!! was doing alright as a backstabber, but struggling a bit on certain mobs etc when my 13 year old son goes "quote" why don't you use a bow dad!

Anyway i did and found out damm!!! made the certain mobs very easy!!! wish i'd let the little bugger out of his cupboard under the stairs sooner!!!

MrCostari

I wonder, what if there nowhere to hide? Hard to give a example but let me try.
There is room with a small way to it, like in a cave, so they ''digged' it.
And the enemies don't come any closer than the end of that small way and there isn't much place to hide there. How are you going to get a view on them? I mean they won't stand at the entrance ofcourse.
Should I just shoot an arrow at a wall so they all go there? And if I get in trouble I must run away? I asume they won't chase me all the way down?

And,
Can somebody explain me a little more about lights and line of sight?
Can an enemy see me if I'm walking in his back, but there is light behind him?
And what are common light sources? Torches on the wall, light from above the ground?

And what are good hiding spots? Corners, shadows?

I really want to start a good sneak character, and don't mess up again.

This topic helped me a lot!!

Fate

>Living, Loving, Learning<
To answer your questions in order:

Candlelight and magelight are the only two lights in the game, and line of sight pretty dependant on that weapon your using and the skill level of the weapon your weilding, Line of sight (You meant weapon right? Or archery?)

Yes and no, Depends on your skill in sneaking, or if your sneaking, and if your muffled, and the weight of your armor. Believe it or not.

Shadows while sneaking, avoid the light, but skeletons and Draugrs tend too find your eventually, just be ready when they do.

Agincourt

I wonder, what if there nowhere to hide? Hard to give a example but let me try.
There is room with a small way to it, like in a cave, so they ''digged' it.
And the enemies don't come any closer than the end of that small way and there isn't much place to hide there. How are you going to get a view on them? I mean they won't stand at the entrance ofcourse.
Should I just shoot an arrow at a wall so they all go there? And if I get in trouble I must run away? I asume they won't chase me all the way down?

And,
Can somebody explain me a little more about lights and line of sight?
Can an enemy see me if I'm walking in his back, but there is light behind him?
And what are common light sources? Torches on the wall, light from above the ground?

And what are good hiding spots? Corners, shadows?

I really want to start a good sneak character, and don't mess up again.

This topic helped me a lot!!

TBH a lot depends on how high your sneak skill is what perks you have etc try walking in watching your eye - if you remain undected keep going get a shot off then run back up to the cleared part of said cave , but yes you can shoot an arrow at a wall etc to draw the mobs and as far as i can tell staying in the shadows helps a lot, but with a sneky toon its a bit of a "hit and run game" tbh

@ lower lvl's i normally take my time walk till i can get a clear shot kill one mob then retreat wait for the undetected then rinse repeat at higher lvl's just crack on :p

MrCostari

Alright, I just seem to struggle a lot with which perk I should choose.
There is so many to choose, one-handed, sneak, archery, smithing, speech, enchanting.
When should I choose what?
Should I spare perk points?
And I quess I should always spend it in sneak when I can, but does that mean I have to spare points?
I just don't want to ruin my build :sadface:

Agincourt

My view on this always spend perks on your Damage/Survival first before crafting etc even if it means saving perk points, as an assassin/archer/backstabber ( at later lvl's). Put your points firstly into archery/Sneak (Your Defence) and later on if you want backup or to go the backstabbing way one handed and if you feel a bit weak by all means waste a few points in light armor but tbh Archery/Sneak are the way till you feel happy with most encounters, only then start throwing points at Smithing/enchanting/Alchemy/speech etc

Panthera

Don Gato
Alright, I just seem to struggle a lot with which perk I should choose.
There is so many to choose, one-handed, sneak, archery, smithing, speech, enchanting.
When should I choose what?
Should I spare perk points?
And I quess I should always spend it in sneak when I can, but does that mean I have to spare points?
I just don't want to ruin my build :sadface:

Don't waste perks in speech becouse later on you won't know what to do with all that money.

Most important Sneak, than one hand and archery.

Here is link of perk calculator http://skyrimcalculator.com/#27099 - 3 perks are still avalible so you can put it 3 on illusion to expert or use on enchantments to have stornger fire, frost and lightning.

(I perosnaly prefer dual wielding for assassin becouse its martial art stance. But if you don't like you can put somewhere else, as you please.)

You can enchant armor with illusion to cost you less to cast, if you manage to enchant 4 items with illusion costing you less to cast you can cast it for free! So you can get invsible all the time.
But while sneaking, thats where it comes handy quiet casting. Becouse even if you are invisible they can detect you. So this is the reason combining sneaking invisibility and quiet casting.

But there are other good enchantments like faster regeneration and faster regain stamina, which is very useful for assassin. Any way you can tweek it to you play style.

Panthera

Don Gato
Anyone else play this character with the sole intent of using your dagger, only to discover the bow is insane damage once you get past level 70 archery?

I use it both equaly, depends on the circumstance in the certan moment.

MrCostari

You can enchant armor with illusion to cost you less to cast, if you manage to enchant 4 items with illusion costing you less to cast you can cast it for free! So you can get invsible all the time.
Looks nice!
Can you explain that a little more?
Don't you get to do that much later in the game?
And you mean enchating 4 armour pieces with the abilty to cast illision for half of the cost or what exactly?
And do you stand in the open if you are invisble? Or still hide, when it runs out?
And I thought you could cast a spell with illision that makes your enemies attack each other?
If yes, should I use illusion for my orc melee/ranged char?

Thanks a lot! Loving this forum <3!

Panthera

Don Gato
Yes you get a lot of stuff later. Thats why I said to focus primary on sneak secondary one hand and archery. If you can't put anymore perks in this three skill trees put it on your light armor and so on... you will see in game what you need but go by this plane I posted on link, if you like.

Enchanting - for casting for free you will need helmet armor neclace and ring to enchant illusion 25% less cost casting. 4 x 25% = 100% = free casting spells.

Even if you are invisible they can found you, so yes you should be hidden out of their way to calm situation. For mantaining your invisbility you will need to cast it again, thats why is good to have quiet casting, so you can mantain it without making any noise.

Yes that is also good strategy casting frenzy spell, to have less work. But cast while you are hidden less trublsome.

That is all your choice. I personaly always combine sneak and illusion. But I use illusion passivly just for invisbility and to be able to cast quietly. :)

MrCostari

Alright, so do you use any other spells besides those?
And they can only see you if you make to much sound (armor) or you touch them, right?
So they won't see you if you stand around a corner and shoot at them, I asume?
Going to sleep now.
TTYL :)

(BTW, are you on PS3?)

Panthera

Don Gato
I need to earn some money for those spells right now I'm making my self and enchantments so I'm searching for an item do dissenchant so I can use it on my items.

Yes, they will go searching when you shoot/hit you will break the spell also. So you will need to plan how to attack.

Nope I prefer only PC, except when it comes to football (soccer incase you are american) ;)

Panthera

Don Gato
If you want to enchant somthing you'll need to first dissenchant the item to get knowledge about that enchantments. In process the item is destroyed. So If you find helmet forfity health and dissenchant it, you will loose helmet but you will get knowledge about forfitying health. So when you bring apperal items like armor, helmet... to an altar you will be able to put only forfity health, Until you learn some other enchantments.

The point is, to dissapear from the enemy sight. They will search you but won't attack you (I'm not so sure about falmers I didn't use invsibilty on them becouse they are alredy bilind), becouse they won't find you. But to stay unfound you need to be quiet too. And you can do sneak attack again.

Use some logic, even if you would be invisble in reality you are still hearable and you could be found by making noise, that is why I like this in skyrim unlike from oblivion you could hit NPC and NPC wouldn't understand that it sombody hitting him and would just stand there.

Panthera

Don Gato
Your welcome :)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts